Start by marking “All the Stories of Muriel Spark” as Want to Read:
All the Stories of Muriel Spark

All the Stories of Muriel Spark

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Spanning her entire career to date, All the Stories of Muriel Spark contains four brand-new tales. Now in hand is every single one of her forty-one marvelous stories. “To read Spark,” as the Georgia Review put it, “is to encounter delight after delight.”

Ranging from South Africa to the West End, her dazzling stories feature hanging judges, fortune-tellers, shy girls, psych
Published November 17th 2001 by New Directions (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about All the Stories of Muriel Spark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Stories of Muriel Spark

Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
266th out of 1,889 books — 1,429 voters
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughThe Power and the Glory by Graham GreeneThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Divine Comedy by Dante AlighieriThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Catholic Fiction
354th out of 363 books — 307 voters

More lists with this book...

The great joy of this collection is its eclecticism. Muriel Spark is perhaps best known for her acerbic wit and her economic style which some call ‘sparse’. Certainly, her later novels, like The Finishing School, are pared down to the extent that they read a little like film scripts. Readers who know Spark for her novels may be surprised by the range of style and subject matters tackled in her short stories. Nearly every genre is covered here, from the ghost story to the surreal fantasy, social ...more
Tony
Spark, Muriel. THE GO-AWAY BIRD and other stories. (1958). ****. Muriel Spark was born Muriel Camberg in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1918. She was a prolific writer throughout her career and remains popular today after her death in 2006. When she married, she traveled with her husband to Southern Rhodesia and lived there many years. Much of her writing reflects experiences in that area. This collection of her short stories gives a representative look at her major themes and styles. It is difficult to ...more
Jenny
I didn't read all of these for class, but I certainly intend to read the rest of them. Spark has an incredibly distinctive style and a dark, witty sense of humor. The stories are excellent.
Leslie
First half dark but witty, second half brilliant.
drunkstoryteller
M-a pocnit iar sentimentul ăla de „Vreau să fiu prietena ta, mai povestește-mi” odată cu cartea integralei de povești a scânteiuței de Muriel. La librărie am prins-o de-o copertă ca pe un ostatic periculos și-am zis A mea! bâlbâind neinteligibil ceva de cotidianul și domnișoara Brodie. Am dus-o acasă, girls party all night long ziceam eu. Citesc prima poveste, Serafimul și Zambezi. Stupoare zic...nu prea bună idee s-o iau pe fată cu mine-acasă. Dar nu se poate, mă gândesc, domnișoara Brodie mi-a ...more
Some of these shorts I adored, but there were a few I couldn't even make it through. (That might be at least partly due to short story fatigue, too -- the problem with trying to plow through an anthology.) Think Scottish Shirley Jackson with a bit more cynicism and a dash (or more) of absurdity.
its not my favorite because they put together stories that take place in South African colonies, so far, and they don't reflect her bitter spare best. Her life story is amazing, living in bedsitters to just sharpen her observation and skill ruthlessly. Her last book, which she wrote at 90, is so clean spare and funny. Like Ruth Rendell, this woman had no illusions on the human race, but unlike Rendell, she just couldn't or wouldn't hack write her way through to some kind of solvency. Still its a ...more
Alexa Ross
The name rang a bell...this Scottish writer penned "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" - story, play, movie. Very imaginative stories! I love foreign films and foreign fiction, it is full of surprising twists from the American standard.
Lynne
I’ve been reading All the Stories of Muriel Spark, slowly because All in the title means there won’t be any more. She’s an acquired taste, something like Campari and grapefruit juice: her odd, bitter humor hits first, and then something lingers that might be sweet or very sad. There are ghost stories like the rightfully famous “The Portobello Road,” but I’ve noticed the book is full of other kinds of hauntings, as if any intense relationship could give you the shivers.

This comment also appeared
Catriona
If Raymond Carver is the master of beautifully-crafted short stories about nothing, then surely Muriel Spark is the master of beautifully-crafted short stories about two things: the story itself, and everything else that's implied.
Every single one of the stories in this hefty book leave you feeling unsettled. Her view of the world is peculiar but compelling. Why she's not more widely-recognised I'll never know.
Zard Doherty
The particular story I enjoyed the most was "The Driver's Seat." It is a strange story that will, as far as Im concerned leave you pondering what you just read. It seems as though there could be so much more to the story, but the author has chosen to leave it out. The reader is left to fill in the blanks. The characters are developed rather well given the length of the story. I dug that story the most.
Jay Pezzoli
An interesting book. It seems as if the plot is going nowhere, but it really sums itself up in the end. The first three quarters of the book are a bit odd and uneventful. I found myself reading along but not really getting into the book, that is until the last quarter. Its pretty exciting and still odd, but in a good way.
Jail
"The Portobello Road" is one of the best stories ever. It was the first thing I read by Spark, and I initially had no idea that it was written in the 50's, the style and politics seemed much more current, almost similar to Patrick Mccabe.Also hillarious is "The Black Madonna"
Mike Ward
I really wanted to enjoy this anthology (and much of it was good) but I found the stories quite repetitive

Cindy Smith
this is a collection of ..... odd stories, all kinds of odd stories told with sparse prose.
Amanda
May 31, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good story with a touch of sarcasm
This is my favorite book. I go back to it quite often. My favorite is "Bang Bang You're Dead."
Marley
Jul 18, 2007 Marley marked it as to-read
I love Spark (thanks Mr. Hosmer!) and I bet she rocks the short stories
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Kassia
Kassia marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Francesca Marciano
Francesca Marciano is currently reading it
May 09, 2015
Nikki Vanderhoof
Nikki Vanderhoof marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Corinne Higgins
Corinne Higgins marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Nastia
Nastia marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
  • Mr Campion and Others
  • Tea with Mr. Rochester
  • All the Days and Nights: The Collected Stories
  • Collected Stories (Everyman's Library)
  • Muriel Spark: The Biography
  • Journals and Letters
  • First, Body: Stories
  • The Cost of Living: Early and Uncollected Stories
  • Short Stories
  • Industry and Empire: The Birth of the Industrial Revolution
  • Alice James
  • Abroad: British Literary Traveling Between the Wars
  • In Front of Your Nose: 1945-1950 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 4)
  • Close Is Fine
  • Jean Rhys: The Complete Novels (Voyage in the Dark, Quartet, After Leaving Mr Mackenzie, Good Morning, Midnight, Wide Sargasso Sea)
  • Ill Seen Ill Said
  • The Troll Garden: Short Stories
  • Adieux: A Farewell to Sartre
Dame Muriel Spark, DBE was a prolific Scottish novelist, short story writer, and poet whose darkly comedic voice made her one of the most distinctive writers of the twentieth century. In 2008 The Times newspaper named Spark in its list of "the 50 greatest British writers since 1945".

Spark received the James Tait Black Memorial Prize in 1965 for The Mandelbaum Gate, the Ingersoll Foundation TS Eli
More about Muriel Spark...
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie The Girls of Slender Means A Far Cry from Kensington Memento Mori The Driver's Seat