Start by marking “Am I Making Myself Clear?: A Scientist's Guide to Talking to the Public” as Want to Read:
Am I Making Myself Clear?: A Scientist's Guide to Talking to the Public

Am I Making Myself Clear?: A Scientist's Guide to Talking to the Public

Urging scientists to speak up and be heard in current debates, Cornelia Dean offers advice on public speaking, media relations and popular science writing.
Published October 1st 2009 by Harvard University Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Am I Making Myself Clear?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Am I Making Myself Clear?

John
Mar 21, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
A Concise Guide on the Art of Public Communication for Scientists and Journalists

Scientists must learn to become better communicators, argues former New York Times science editor Cornelia Dean in her surprisingly terse, but most lucid, “am I making myself clear? A Scientist’s Guide to Talking to the Public”. However, unlike several recently published books on this very subject, Dean not only extols scientists to become better communicators, but she also demonstrates how, giving pointers on every
Evan Snyder
Jan 12, 2010 Evan Snyder rated it it was ok
I jumped around through this book - it was interesting for me to peruse through a bit, but not working in journalism nor being a scientist courted by journalists, it went into far more depth than relevant to me. However, it did provide some ideas that I will keep in mind when considering science PR and I would recommend science writers and frequently interviewed scientists read this book or something like it to help foster a mutual understanding between the two parties and help each get what the ...more
Anna
Mar 05, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-edu-work
Besides the multiple mentions of the NY Times that funded the writer, the book does show what journalists wants to hear from a scientist. Unfortunately all the points the author makes could have been made in a couple of chapters. It definitely won't appeal to a scientist with standard training and no intermediate exposure to speaking to the general pubic and this. There are better books on this topic.
Melissa
Apr 03, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
This book provides straight-forward advice for scientists and engineers to communicate their research in a way for the general public to understand, which is important given how much policy should and must be based on science and technology but is based on social opinion instead. I think I just summed up the summary on the book cover... no false advertising here.
Dan
Jul 29, 2010 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, self-help
This is quite a good handbook for, guess what, scientists who need or want to talk to the general public in any number of ways. I found it very informative and will most likely refer to it if I ever end up in that situation.
D Lemon
D Lemon rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Rory Covey
Rory Covey rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Hazel Johnstone
Hazel Johnstone rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Cynthia Dickson
Cynthia Dickson rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Dan Chadwick
Dan Chadwick rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Robert Krampf
Robert Krampf rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Webb Smith
Webb Smith rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Marcia Triunfol
Marcia Triunfol rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Heather Goss
Heather Goss rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Daniel Cunningham
Daniel Cunningham rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Josef Spalenka
Josef Spalenka rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2013
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Jennifer Gutiérrez
Jennifer Gutiérrez rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Mary Andreano
Mary Andreano rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2016
Al Price
Al Price rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Mikko
Mikko rated it liked it
May 09, 2011
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2011
Beckydham
Oct 09, 2009 Beckydham rated it liked it
Not too surprising and/or exciting, but full of straightforward advice.
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2011

“Though Americans have tremendous respect for the ability of engineers and scientists to solve important problems and answer important questions, polls indicate many of us worry that technology moves too fast, and that its benefits blind us to important spiritual concerns.” 0 likes
“In an editorial, the journal Nature warned that one of the dangers of winning the Nobel Prize is that people attempt to enlist you for all sorts of causes.' It particularly cited Scientists and Engineers for America and its opposition to Bush science policies, though "there is little doubt that US federal science has suffered under Bush," the editors wrote. By engaging in partisan behavior, the journal warned, scientists risk "seeming to be self-interested, grant-obsessed, and out of touch."
Actually, I think the reverse is true. It is remaining at the bench when times call for action that defines researchers as self-obsessed. As Burton Richter, a Stanford
physicist, Nobel laureate, and founder and board member of SEA wrote in response to the Nature editorial, the organization's aim "is to make available to society at large the evidence-based science relating to critical issues facing us all." He added, "We hope both to draw attention to underappreciated science issues and provide the advocacy necessary to get things done-not along party-political lines but scientifically."4”
0 likes