Start by marking “She's All That!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology” as Want to Read:
She's All That!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology

She's All That!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology (Mythlopedia)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Action, romance, power struggles — no, it's not reality TV! Greek mythology meets the modern age in this riviting (and educational) series complete with profiles, headshots, sidebars and more!

- Annotated/illustrated Table of Contents
- Introduction explains the origins of mythology, how we learned the stories, and why myths matter today
- A-Z Hall of Fame features the key ch

Published September 1st 2009 by Scholastic (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about She's All That!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She's All That!

Perla
I was never really interested in Greek Mythology until I began reading this book. It's absolutely fun to read and I loved it.
In this book, it gives the history of all female Greek Gods using humor and modern day cultures. It begins with a profile of the female God then facts about her. It reminds you of a Facebook profile. Then it goes on to tell the lovers, foes and offspring of the God. Afterwards as you turn the page, you find out about the history of the certain female God.
I'd recommend t
Rachel
I can't possibly write a good review for this book because there are so many fantastic things about it, I can't do it justice. Let's just say that it is the best quick-reference guide for mythology (although this one is about females) that I've ever beheld. It's not just great for kids. I'm a strong visual learner, and this book just makes it so easy for me to quickly gather facts and puts them visually in a context that I can remember them, too (which is usually hard for me). The comics, the fo ...more
Lisa M.
I picked this book up because it was one of the few my library had on Greek myths. The tone of this book was really fun! Each page is topped with bright text, and has bright illustrations. Each Goddess is introduced with a sassy tagline and a paragraph where she "speaks" to the readers. I have never seen Goddesses handled this way, and it made the topic light and fun. It was definitely an entertaining read.

I DO have some issues with the book, though. First, I would love to know why they decided
Meagan Moremen
Bryant, M. (2009). She’s all that. New York: Franklin Watts.
Citation created by: Meagan Moremen
Call Number: REF 292 (according to WKU children’s core collection)---description according to the book would be shelved with dictionaries.
Description: This book is an encyclopedia of Goddesses of Greek Mythology.
Content/scope: This book has many colorful illustrations and is packed with information. The layout of the pages in this book are very similar to the style of The Magic School Bus with sub se
Alexis
I laughed all the way to Pullman and read parts of this book aloud to my husband and son. A hysterical, while accurate, description of the "drama queens" of Greek mythology. Most of the information is delivered tongue in cheek - Aphrodite sounds like a tween: "The gods on Olympus of 2GTBT!" The section on each goddess or irresistible mortal has a subtitle: "Athena-I'm Daddy's Girl; Artemis-Girlz Rule!; Daphne-Leaf Me Alone;" etc. Each section also has the equivalent of a Facebook profile providi ...more
Ashley D--
This is part of the Mythlopedia series (What a Beast, All in the Family, and Oh My Gods) about Greek and Roman mythology. Each entry is about a different female character, and includes an introduction written in character (Aphrodite is all over the netspeak), a pronunciation guide for their Greek and Roman names, a list of their families and friends and foes, and a few of their key stories. It also has little boxes that have random related information in them, with weblinks for further reading.

I
Shea Dorsey
This book would be under Nonfiction. It's a book about goddesses that gives them blogs and facebook profiles. This is a way for the goddesses to tell readers about themselves and give information about greek mythology as a whole. I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars because it's in a subject that I'm interested in and was very humorous in the way it was set up. It was very creative and attempted to connect with the children of this generation in interesting ways. A good follow-up activity would be ...more
Kristen
This book takes a fun, gossip-magazine approach to Greek mythology. Lots of juicy stories (but still age-appropriate for older elementary students!) and humor to find here. Perfect for a middle grade audience who can't get enough of Rick Riordan's work.
Megan
I got this for my kids at their school's Scholastic book fair (yes I read it too). You can tell instantly that it's written for a younger crowd, not too young though or they won't get some of the texting abbreviations that plague the book. My 10 year old read it & she said it was "ok" but my 8 year old said it was a bit confusing & even though they put "Family, Flings, Friends, and Foes" at the bottom of each deity she said it was hard to keep track of the relationships. This is a kids b ...more
Starbubbles
It was a little repetitive, but still a fun read.
George Georges
mgbnm,rdftgyhijcdgguityfuyfudhckjndkfjiuery7tyrfudhjkccikhxujksalkaytyhujuksjiidhyrdysujmkaty yfdtgefwjkdsmkdjsfimlkdshgvuaikjshfjoialweofhjmio;ekwlhsfdyowarfdbiforguoiegryefweyrtyriuYIHSIQHDioyoiFOIEU8E9YT8QGE7856E1RVFgbjYUIUihuhyGYHJKULJKCODSUFJD9KQOLAkN
Caro
This was an ok book for me. I liked the way it was written though and it would be a good way for the middle school ages to understand/learn the gods and goddesses. I don't know how much I retained, but it wasn't a hardship to read this and I didn't have any problem comprehending. I think the gods and goddesses are just plain confusing due to the numbers of them. (Some even have the same names!)
Ricki
I love this series! Even though they are directed for middle schoolers, the books can be appreciated by people of all ages. There is a different god on each page, along with guiding pictures and humorous quotes. I love learning about Mythology, so I could sit with this books for hours. I always have at least one student in each class who is obsessed with these.
Alex
Buddy read with Erica!

I love the way these books are laid out, and I never tire of Greek myths. This one focused on the goddesses, whereas the other book was about the gods.

My only complaint is that this one was rather repetitive. Other than that, it was still a fun read.
Julie
OK, I realize why this might be attractive to a younger crowd. But tell me, why are the goddesses clothed (I mean, clothing photoshopped onto paintings and sculpture) but the gods not always so? Hephaestus is showing his nipples on page 20! Dare I call this--sexism?
Shannon
Initially, I thought the social-media-Web-site feel of this book would be trite and irritating, but all the information was actually really well organized and interesting. If my kids were higher readers, I'd buy this for my class.
Atticus
It was very good, detailed and was from the God's point of view that they were talking about (only sometimes). It was very informative.
I can't wait to read the other Mytholopedia books in the series.
Jacki
This is a fun little book that explains many of the main goddesses. There are a few stories given, their Roman and Greek names, their domains, their friends and enemies, along with other fun trivia.
Jen
This books pretty cool I read it in grade 7. It even made some of my friends who weren't interested in greek mythology interested. so that's really a job well done. Cool book.
Ellen
Really clever and entertaining introduction to Greek mythology. This and "Oh My Gods!" by the same author got my daughter hooked on all things connected to Ancient Greece.
Emily
Aug 20, 2011 Emily added it
This was a great goddess book and again super funny it was informational with humor I would totally want to read it again!
Kristina
These books are fun ways for kids to learn about Greek things, I LOVE them!
Lily
The follow up of Oh my gods! but with goddesses instead of gods.
Chloe
I like how there's cool facts and I learned a lot.
no longer
More Greek mythology for fans who cannot get enough!
Katie
Really good book for people who like mythology
Sarah Shoffner
It is the best I loved it so much
Kelsey Bates
"Modern" take on Greek Mythology.
Abby Rogers
favorite page: Demeter's Almanac
  • What a Beast!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Monsters and Mutants of Mythology
  • Treasury of Greek Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Heroes & Monsters
  • Hoop Dreams
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • 100 Characters from Classical Mythology: Discover the Fascinating Stories of the Greek and Roman Deities
  • Lives of the Presidents: Fame, Shame (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Favorite Greek Myths
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders
  • One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of World War II
  • Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind Crockett: A Tall Tale
  • Breathing In, Breathing Out: Keeping a Writer's Notebook
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • The Girl Games (Super Special)
  • I am Albert Einstein
  • The Illustrated Book of Myths
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War
I've counted books among my friends for as long as I can remember. I was born in Santa Monica, California, though that beautiful city is just one of many places I've called home; my family moved ten times before I graduated from high school. Moving so frequently gave me many opportunities to experience new places, meet new people, and make new friends . . . but it could be lonely, too, especially ...more
More about Megan E. Bryant...

Mythlopedia (4 books)
  • What a Beast!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Monsters and Mutants of Mythology
  • All in the Family: A Look-It-Up Guide to the In-Laws, Outlaws, and Offspring of Mythology
  • Oh My Gods!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology (Mythlopedia)
Oh My Gods!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology (Mythlopedia) Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie: Alex's Adventure Across the 2nd Dimension (Phineas and Ferb) Alphasaurus Strawberry Shortcake: Be My Valentine!