Start by marking “Bourke Street Bakery” as Want to Read:
Bourke Street Bakery

Bourke Street Bakery

Situated in the hip foodie enclave of Sydney's Surry Hills is the original Bourke Street Bakery - a cozy, rustic nook selling artisanal baked goods of the highest order. The bakery's long queue of customers waiting for their daily fix is testament to the popularity of their utterly delicious wares - from rustic breads such as their famous spelt sourdough to the flaky pork ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Murdoch Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bourke Street Bakery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bourke Street Bakery

Kim
Feb 18, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it

Bourke Street Bakery is the place we go most Saturday mornings to buy our bread for the week. They make fantastic sourdough bread and equally fantastic sweet and savoury baked goodies. This book has recipes for all of their best loved offerings. I've decided that I would rather just buy the bread than attempt to make my own using a sourdough starter, but I've used the recipes to make things such as ginger brulee tart to soem acclaim. This is a great book!
May 19, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, but definitely not for the novice cook, most of the recipes require you to plan either one day ahead or more and the ingredient list for most recipes are quite long, but let me tell you, well worth all the effort and time you invest into it!

I have not mastered every recipe in the book, in fact i am far from it, but i can see the potential is there i just need to perfect my technique

Highly recommend to any avid home baker
Roxy
Aug 19, 2011 Roxy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Full of great recipes for both the regular home cook and the professional. There are recipes for starters and bread doughs that the average home baker would probably not spend the time as they lean more towards someone who is in the baking field. But the cake recipes further into the book are suitable for any level and sound delicious. One of my favourite bakeries in Sydney - it is great to know how all their gorgeous treats are made.
Kim Box
Jul 08, 2012 Kim Box rated it it was amazing
Finally the recipes for the treats we love from the local bakery I miss so much. This is as complete a guide to baking that anyone would want. Advice about choice of ingredients, tins and the reasons why. Clear instructions for creating marvels in a home kitchen from panini to little ginger brûlée tartlets.
Vivian -
Oct 25, 2010 Vivian - rated it really liked it
very informative on the different types of flour and ingredients

the only thing which bugs me is the fact that all the dessert/tart recipes are catered for baking batches of 20+ which isn't quite suited for domestic baking, otherwise it's a fantastic book!
Sandie
May 12, 2012 Sandie rated it it was amazing
I love their puff pastry recipe!
I am revising my review to now say that their croissant pastry recipe is my absolute go to recipe whenever the croissant mood strikes. People tell me they are better than the ones they have had in France. They take 4 days to prepare but they are SO worth it.
Devilish
Apr 30, 2013 Devilish rated it really liked it
Shelves: bread
I found many of the recipes here just flavour variations. However their sourdough recipe is pretty much my standard recipe now (well, in truth my recipe is a hydrid of this and Richard Bertinet's recipe). The apple and cinnamon loaf is pretty good too!!
Apr 07, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book is the ultimate baking companion. The recipes are easy to follow and the results are delicious.
Amy
May 03, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Salivatingly worthy recipes but Artisan breads to be sure. I am not quite ready to delve into this stuff but reading it is inspiring.
Tanna
Apr 19, 2012 Tanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I want to bake ALL these loaves!
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Katrina Lexa
Katrina Lexa rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Todd Hunter
Todd Hunter rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Azem
Azem rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2012
Meils
Meils rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Quasar
Quasar rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2011
Cheeky
Cheeky rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Aniek Ragan
Aniek Ragan rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Alex Turner
Alex Turner rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Paige
Paige rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2011
Kyles
Kyles rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
Jodie Anderson
Jodie Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
Lillian
Lillian rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
Lisa Goldberg
Lisa Goldberg rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Cassie Harrex de castillo
Cassie Harrex de castillo rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Mags
Mags rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016