Start by marking “Bourke Street Bakery: The Ultimate Baking Companion” as Want to Read:
Bourke Street Bakery: The Ultimate Baking Companion

Bourke Street Bakery: The Ultimate Baking Companion

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Situated in the hip foodie enclave of Sydney's Surry Hills is the original Bourke Street Bakery - a cozy, rustic nook selling artisanal baked goods of the highest order. The bakery's long queue of customers waiting for their daily fix is testament to the popularity of their utterly delicious wares - from rustic breads such as their famous spelt sourdough to the flaky pork ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Murdoch Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bourke Street Bakery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bourke Street Bakery

Fantastic book, but definitely not for the novice cook, most of the recipes require you to plan either one day ahead or more and the ingredient list for most recipes are quite long, but let me tell you, well worth all the effort and time you invest into it!

I have not mastered every recipe in the book, in fact i am far from it, but i can see the potential is there i just need to perfect my technique

Highly recommend to any avid home baker
This book is the ultimate baking companion. The recipes are easy to follow and the results are delicious.
Kim

Bourke Street Bakery is the place we go most Saturday mornings to buy our bread for the week. They make fantastic sourdough bread and equally fantastic sweet and savoury baked goodies. This book has recipes for all of their best loved offerings. I've decided that I would rather just buy the bread than attempt to make my own using a sourdough starter, but I've used the recipes to make things such as ginger brulee tart to soem acclaim. This is a great book!
Roxy
Full of great recipes for both the regular home cook and the professional. There are recipes for starters and bread doughs that the average home baker would probably not spend the time as they lean more towards someone who is in the baking field. But the cake recipes further into the book are suitable for any level and sound delicious. One of my favourite bakeries in Sydney - it is great to know how all their gorgeous treats are made.
Kim Box
Finally the recipes for the treats we love from the local bakery I miss so much. This is as complete a guide to baking that anyone would want. Advice about choice of ingredients, tins and the reasons why. Clear instructions for creating marvels in a home kitchen from panini to little ginger brûlée tartlets.
Sandie
I love their puff pastry recipe!
I am revising my review to now say that their croissant pastry recipe is my absolute go to recipe whenever the croissant mood strikes. People tell me they are better than the ones they have had in France. They take 4 days to prepare but they are SO worth it.
Devilish
I found many of the recipes here just flavour variations. However their sourdough recipe is pretty much my standard recipe now (well, in truth my recipe is a hydrid of this and Richard Bertinet's recipe). The apple and cinnamon loaf is pretty good too!!
Vivian -
very informative on the different types of flour and ingredients

the only thing which bugs me is the fact that all the dessert/tart recipes are catered for baking batches of 20+ which isn't quite suited for domestic baking, otherwise it's a fantastic book!
The Lotus Eater
I confess, I got the book believing all the hype. I'm not so certain about it...
Tanna
I want to bake ALL these loaves!
Monica Zhang
Monica Zhang marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 04, 2015
Julian Callaghan
Julian Callaghan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Belinda Hamnett
Belinda Hamnett marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
elin
elin marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Felicia Tam
Felicia Tam marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bourke Street Bakery - The Collection The Bread and Butter Project Bourke Street Bakery - Savoury Pastries and Pies Bourke Street Bakery Low Price Bourke Street Bakery - Cakes and Biscuits