Start by marking “Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1

Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1 (Bokurano: Ours / ぼくらの #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Saving the world is hard. Saving yourself is even harder.

R to L (Japanese Style). Saving the world is hard. Saving yourself is even harder. One summer, 15 kids innocently wander into a nearby seaside cave. There they meet a strange man who invites them to play an exciting new video game. Sounds like fun, right? This game, he explains, pits a lone giant robot against a hord
Published February 16th 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bokurano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bokurano

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu Arakawa20th Century Boys, Band 1 by Naoki UrasawaBerserk, Vol. 1 by Kentaro MiuraNausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1 by Hayao MiyazakiEden by Hiroki Endo
Manga as Voted by Manga Elitist
14th out of 113 books — 56 voters
Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 by Hajime IsayamaDeadman Wonderland, Volume 1 by Jinsei KataokaFuture Diary, Volume 1 by Sakae EsunoBlack Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoElfen Lied Vol. 1 by Lynn Okamoto
Transgressive Manga
21st out of 61 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Elsa
15 kids meet one summer and are offered a chance to play a "game" which seems pretty cool to them. Little do they know they pretty much have no choice and no one wins this game. Each kid will have an opportunity to pilot a giant robot in order to save the world, but the price is pretty high, as the first pilot finds out. The other children all handle the aftermath in different ways. The author does a great job of giving each kid a background and compelling reason to do what they do. He doesn't s ...more
Megan Sanchez
Somewhere between Gundam Wing, Death Note and Battle Royale is this weird little manga - Bokurano is all mechs, junior high students and lots of worrying about whether they are doing the right thing. On a summer field trip, 15 junior high students sign a contract with a mysterious man in a cave, who tells them they have to save the world by piloting a robot and defeating enemies. It's all very vague and you don't learn much more in this volume.

It's an extremely fast read because so much of it is
Bogi Takács
Back when I'd read it, I thought Kitoh's Narutaru was a solid take on what Pokémon would be like in real life (ie. kids would *horribly* bully each other with powerful magical monsters).

Bokurano seems like a similar deconstruction of mecha anime, from the first volume at least, but... mecha anime have been so extensively deconstructed already. Or maybe I could call it a mashup of mecha anime and Lord of the Flies. It seems like it was produced in this fashion:

Editor: "OK, listen up. People ate
Elaine
I found the story a bit slow in the beginning but it definitely picks up towards the end of the volume. And maybe I'm just jaded but the twist wasn't exactly surprising. However, I am looking forward to picking up the next volumes. Hopefully the monster-of-the-week coupled with the kid-of-the-week doesn't get tedious. And while this deconstruction of the mecha genre feels like a mixture of old and new, I'm hoping there is enough of the new to keep the tension and mystery alive.
Dru
a cool premise, 14 school children must each take turn controlling a giant robot to defend the earth.

edit: I re-read this before reading the rest of the series. things I forgot to mention in the first review: they name the robot Zearth, they reference Neon Genesis Evangelion without naming it.
Kari Ramirez
Fifteen kids is a lot to keep track of and try to figure out what their stories are. Luckily, in this first volume while we're introduced to all of them the story focuses mostly on the first two kids who get 'the call'.

The story was fun and creepy enough, but there wasn't a lot of chance to get character development so it didn't feel complete. Of course, it's not complete since this is the first volume in a series, but at least with other series you kind of have a good grasp on who the character
Πέτρος
NOTICE: I will be making many references to Narutaru. Can’t help making a joke about it and for all intents and purposes, this is a double review for both series. Damn things are practically the same anyway. Also, this is one of those weird retrospective texts that focuses more on what happens around a series that in it. If you don’t like it, it ain’t my fault.

PROLOGUE
Bokurano, aka Narutaru mk2.
Ok, the guy who makes these things clearly goes for impressions through shock value around children ab
Hollowspine
Daryl Nash
I loved Narutaru, so I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt. The first volume is okay, a bit Evangelion with a lot more protagonists and less wacky conspiracy.
Rebecca
There are too many characters introduced up front and the twist and end are gratuitously cruel. I'm not interested in continuing this series at all.
Interesting deconstruction of the giant robot series genre. This is definitely not another Gundam. It has a serious tone and features short vignettes about the lives of the 7th grade children who must use their life-force to pilot the robot that will save the earth. Interestingly, the sci-fi, action part of the series is actually a plot device to heighten the the main pilot's internal struggles and show the way in which life-or-death situations may lead to revelation or complete estrangement.
Joy
Fifteen kids meet a mysterious stranger, who invites them to play a game. They unwisely agree and are stupid enough to seal a contract to that effect. (Seriously. I don't even think youth is an excuse for that sort of idiocy.) Of course, the "game" turns out to have some very serious real-life consequences.

Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Kelly
The story only got better when it finally took that "dark turn." However, I'm not too confident about moving on with the series. With fifteeen main characters, I have the feeling it will be too much catching up on back-story to deal with the present.
G33z3r
The start of a lengthy (13 volume) sci-fi/fantasy manga featuring giant robots and dying children. Interesting if morbid premise, though I'm not fond of writers using young kids in jeopardy as a shortcut to an emotional connection.
Lucius
I'm reading this mostly to see how it's different from the anime which was derived from this manga. There's a lot of small changes, but some of those small changes or omissions in the anime can completely change the story.
Douglas Cootey
Child of Evangelion. Disjointed story style to create mystery. Not sure if it is going to keep my attention for six or so volumes. I like the scratchy drawing style, tho.
Fiore777
As expected from Kitoh, kids tossed into a screwed up situation with issues of their own. I am enjoying this series so far.
Jenna
Didn't like it in the beginning but it started to become more gripping near the end. I'll read some more of it..
Kimberly
I really didn't like any of the characters, to be honest.
Cailyn
Feb 17, 2013 Cailyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Hovering between one and two stars...
Adam Dirting
Adam Dirting marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 1
  • House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1
  • Wandering Son: Volume One
  • All My Darling Daughters
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1)
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • 7 Billion Needles, Volume 1
  • What a Wonderful World!, Volume 1
  • Planetes, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1)
  • Train Man: Densha Otoko, (Train-Man, #1)
  • A, A'
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1

Bokurano: Ours / ぼくらの (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 2
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 8
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 9
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 10
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 11
Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 2 Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 3 Shadow Star 1 - Starflight Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 4 Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 5