Start by marking “Die Hard: Year One, Vol 1” as Want to Read:
Die Hard: Year One, Vol 1

Die Hard: Year One, Vol 1

2.93 of 5 stars 2.93  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Every great action hero got their start somewhere, and with DIE HARD: YEAR ONE fans get the chance to see John McClane’s first year on the force as a rookie cop in New York City.

American's greatest action hero translated into the sequential art form for the first time! Every great action hero got started somewhere: Batman Began. Bond had his Casino Royale. And for John McC
Published April 13th 2010 by BOOM! Studios (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Die Hard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Hard

Jul 01, 2010 Pam rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
My reaction to a graphic novel about John McClane and entitled Die Hard -- "I must read that now!" Alas it is a great idea (about how John McClane became the cowboy who defeats Hans Gruber) but it fell so short. The plot was difficult to follow and took the second comic book in the series to really start making sense to the reader. Also there were way too many characters.
I still love the first movie (and the novel upon which it was based) but I will be a bit more circumspect about other Die Har
This was surprisingly good!
Not good as in "I'm gonna shout it out from the rooftop" kinda good, besides, it is freezing out there, but good as in deserving of 4 stars and a positive review kinda good.
I'm a good fan of Howard Chaykin, I like his art and I like his drawing... thing is, when he splits the two, the result isn't always that great.
Die Hard: Year 1, vol. 1 proves to be an exception.
The story's pretty darned good, even if it did feel kinda rushed at places, and is classic Chaykin story
Jimmy Brown
As a huge fan of (most) of the Die Hard films, my interest was piqued at the release of an origin story of John McClane. However, it's really only an adventure of John having just graduated from the Police Academy. Sure, it's 'year one' in the career of cop McClane but John was in the marines, in Vietnam. I'd much rather read a story about THAT. Anyway, this story shows that McClane had a habit of being a one-man army even back in the '70s, where it is him on a boat versus a group of bad guys. Y ...more
Jul 24, 2015 Arp rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
What a disappointment. It sounds like a great idea - and it still could be if it was rebooted, written and drawn by other people. But this SUCKS. I read to the end because it wasn't so long and because I wanted to see where the trainwreck went but it's 30 minutes of my life I wouldn't mind having back.

First problem: the story & vibe. Die Hard is a great action film; this is a lame attempt at a gritty cop drama trying to capture the NY vibe of the 70s where the cops are all bad (except for Mc
Since the art is merely functional (imagine if John Paul Leon had done more than a couple variant covers?!!), & the plot is pretty standard 70s NYC beat cop fare, this doesn't quite live up to the over the top action implied by the Die Hard brand.
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: More Die Hard? A young John McClane? C'mon? How could I resist?

The time is 1976 and John McClane is a rookie cop starting out. He's been partnered with a Training Officer of the seasoned, fat and complaining variety so needless to say they do not get along but McClane quickly learns to keep his mouth shut and make backhanded remarks out of the side of his mouth. On the street a series of incidents all lead to McClane taking on a small terrorist group and cops gone bad.

I loved
The first prequel to the Die Hard series. Tells the story of how McClane got his shield. I enjoyed revisiting a grimy, untamed 1970s New York City, where seasoned cops are dirty and on someones payroll. This provides a nice juxtaposition and opportunity for rookie McClane to shine. The plot isn't anything to write home about though and lacks that traditionally solid Die Hard villain. Worth the money, but probably only if you're already a fan.
This is the beginning of John McClane’s career. This story takes you through his time as a rookie on the Police force working under one of the harder trainers who just doesn’t seem to care whether he’s by the book or not as long as McClane only refers to him as Officer Bingham. Bingham is a real jerk and he’s quite the lazy police officer.

McClane keeps seeing this young girl throughout town and feels like he should say something to her when he sees her shop lift a dress. It turns out the young
For such a dumb idea, Die Hard: Year One is a surprisingly decent 70s cop comic, with lots of flashers and hippie-punching.
Tyson Adams
I picked up two books today: Nothing Lasts Forever and Die Hard Year One. The novel is the basis for the first Die Hard movie, the comic is a prequel to the movie that was written recently. Nothing amazing in the comic, aside from suggesting that John McClane had been in several situations in his rookie years that prepared him for his movie exploits. Fans of the movie will have a passing interest, but there isn't anything that makes this standout aside from that.
Pretty scattered for the first half of the book, making it difficult to follow along what was going on. A quick, fun read but falls extremely short of what you'd expect from the Die Hard franchise.
So many players in one story made it difficult to follow and enjoy the story. A less complex threat would have allowed McClane to shine better.
This was pretty solid. It did manage to have a scaled-back Die Hard feel.
While this was readable, the story flowed too choppy to be very enjoyable. Good idea for a comic series though. Maybe vol.2 is better?
Not as interesting as the movies.
Gavin de Lint
Gavin de Lint is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Michael Williams
Michael Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015