Start by marking “The Nightingale of Mosul: A Nurse's Journey of Service, Struggle, and War” as Want to Read:
The Nightingale of Mosul: A Nurse's Journey of Service, Struggle, and War

The Nightingale of Mosul: A Nurse's Journey of Service, Struggle, and War

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The true story of a female soldier in Iraq who was awarded the Bronze Star—not for fighting, but for fighting to care. She is today’s Florence Nightingale. At age 56, Susan Luz was deployed to Iraq. By the time she returned home, she had helped save the lives of 30,000 wounded soldiers, contractors, Iraqi civilians, and detainees. But this was not the first time Luz respon ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Kaplan Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Nightingale of Mosul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nightingale of Mosul

Valerie
I have read books about this war that were better written, more gut wrenching, more immediate. I have not read any other books which related to me the experience I might have, if I were to go to war. The other books have shown me what it would be like to be a young soldier. I was especially , horrifically delighted by the detail about mercury thermometers being useless at their base because they only register up to 120 F.
Robin
Feb 03, 2011 Robin rated it it was ok
It took me a long time to finish this book. I very much wanted to know the story of a nurse serving in Iraq, but 2/3 of the book is back story. Not much depth was given to supporting characters and the story seemed flat, even drawn out. The part where she is serving in Iraq is good, but as I said before, there was not enough of it.
Mona
Jun 12, 2015 Mona rated it did not like it
Not as expected, not at all a war story about serving in Iraq it flashback story of a hard working nurse.
She may be honored for all her dedication to the US army, but certainly there is no heroic action in serving in US army who invaded Iraq and pretend that they are heros - Really how can you believe such nonsense and have the guts to pretend that you have nothing to do with destroying Iraq and blaming Iraqi people - strange that some people can believe their own lies.
Martha
Jul 23, 2013 Martha rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great read.. This should be a must read for all nurses and nursing students. No fluff here and well written. The author is a dedicated courageous nurse who was also a Colonel in the Army Reserves.She served in Iraq but her story as to how she got there is amazing and inspiring. Truly a dedicated professional...she is a nurse's nurse..Highly recommend this book
John
Jul 30, 2010 John rated it really liked it
This isn't a war story with lots of blood. But it is well-told story about a hard-working nurse doing her best.
Carolyn
Sep 01, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
couldn't put it down. Its hard to believe how many incredible experiences can be crammed into one lifetime.
Irving Zangwill
Jan 15, 2011 Irving Zangwill rated it it was amazing
A nurse's Journey of Service, Struggle and War. Terrific book beyond words. READ IT!!!
Rorie Boudreau
RI woman - interesting from that perspective...would not highly recommend
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Cheryle
Cheryle marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Jess V
Jess V rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Arlene
Arlene rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Ellen Elliott-Bissey
Ellen Elliott-Bissey rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Ingrid Lang
Ingrid Lang rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Kathi
Kathi rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Kristin Cardoza
Kristin Cardoza marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Sarahanne Kent
Sarahanne Kent rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2015
Fran
Fran rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014