Start by marking “Dinosaurs Love Underpants” as Want to Read:
Dinosaurs Love Underpants

Dinosaurs Love Underpants (Love Underpants)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,200 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
The mystery of dinosaur extinction is solved! Scientists have plenty of theories about why dinosaurs are extinct, but the UK’s bestselling authorillustrator team of Claire Freedman and Ben Cort knows the real answer: The dinos were wiped out in an Underpants War! This wacky celebration of underpants is perfect for reading aloud, and the hilarious antics of T. rex and the g ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaurs Love Underpants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaurs Love Underpants

Shoeb Narot
Sep 16, 2011 Shoeb Narot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Dinosaurs love Underpants’ by Clare Freedman & Ben Cort

I saw this book in my local library and couldn’t resist picking it up, the humor in the title and the cover illustration caught my attention.

Have you ever wondered why the Dinosaurs became extinct? If the answer is yes then I suggest you read on!

The story starts off with the cavemen feeling embarrassed about being nude so they decide to wear underpants. When the Dinosaurs see that the cavemen are wearing underpants they want some underp
Mehsi
I read Monsters Love Underpants some time ago, and I adored that book. And guess what I found in my library yesterday? Yes, I found Dinosaurs Love Underpants. I was kind of expecting it to be the same kind of story as the Monsters, but it was quite different.

In this story we find out how the dinosaurs got extinct. Oh, you thought that was because of a meteorite, well believe me, after this book, you might reconsider. ;) It was a really funny book about cavemen, about dinosaurs, about fights on u
Venus
May 16, 2010 Venus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One would think that any story that included underpants and dinosaurs would be a winner with kids, especially boys. For the kids at my story time, this just wasn't so. The book begins:

Dinosaurs were all wiped out,
A long way back in history,
No one knows quite how or why,
This book solves the mystery...

In this follow-up to the award-winning Aliens Love Underpants, Claire Freedman attempted to write another fun underpants story, but the story simply felt forced. The rhymes often did not flow, not ro
Michaela
Apr 09, 2012 Michaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dinosaurs Love Underpants by Claire Freedom delivers what you would imagine it would from the title, it is a fun, short story about just what happens when Dinosaurs discover underpants. I first came across this book when working in the Early Years Foundation Stage. It is a beautifully illustrated courtesy of award winning illustrator Ben Cort, the illustrations work effortlessly to bring the story to life. This has to be one of the most popular stories I have read to children, they were always a ...more
Eloise baker
Apr 19, 2012 Eloise baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book when I was in Reception during book week because I thought it would really appeal to the boys, which it did. They thought it was hilarious!

This book has lovely vibrant illustrations which really match the text. It is the story of how the dinosaurs became extinct, when the caveman decided to start wearing underpants the mean T-Rex wanted a pair too. Soon all the dinosaurs were fighting over their pants - in fact the fighting got so bad that the dinosaurs were all wiped out.

The b
Hilary
Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as easily as Aliens Love Underpants (parents, be warned - you may need to practice the long dinosaur names in advance) but it's just as silly.
Laura Elisabeth
Me and C read this today, a funny story with some great illustrations {10 minutes spent deciding which pants belonged to which family member} A lovely funny read, great for younger kids.
Sarah Casabona
"Dinosaurs Love Underpants" takes place in the beginning of time when man first realized they needed to start wearing underpants to cover themselves. The dinosaurs loved this idea and wanted a pair of their own. This created a huge war between all of the dinosaurs and the caveman. The dinosaurs go extinct after this war because they were killed. The caveman cheered because their underpants were finally all theirs. The themes in the book were imagination, child innocence, and faith. Nobody will k ...more
Michelle McBeth
SUMMARY: This is the "true" story of how dinosaurs became extinct. Apparently, cave men invented underwear to cover their embarrassment. But the dinosaurs take a liking to the garb and begin stealing them from the cave men. Then the dinos covet the under garments so much, they fight each other to own as many as possible. This ends in the great briefs tug-o-war. In the end, all the dinosaurs are dead and the cave men cheer.

ILLUSTRATIONS: Although these pictures are large, bright and full of dinos
Kelly Batchelor
The story discusses the extinction of dinosaurs and encourages the reader to read on and to find out why they became extinct.
It starts the explanation with that cavemen were embarrassed at being in the nude and the solution to this problem was underpants. As the story progresses it sees the dinosaurs desire to wear underpants which results a number of problems as the underpants rip, tear and make the dinosaurs itchy.the cavemen gather together and realise that there is a shortage of underpants a
Zele
Apr 15, 2014 Zele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annalisa
The mystery of dinosaur extinction is solved! Dinosaurs love Underpants by Claire Freedman is a fun and imaginative read. It has great describing and movement vocabulary. This book has a lot of tongue twisting rhyming words. Ben Cort did a fantastic job on the illustrations they are bright and lively cartoons. This story is very entertaining for young readers. The dinosaurs and caveman obsession with underpants leaves the dinosaurs fighting to their extinction. I found my self laughing aloud re ...more
Bryanna Johnson
Apr 20, 2015 Bryanna Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enchanting read about how dinosaurs go extinct thanks to the great war of underpants. This book is in a four verse rhyme scheme on every page with wonderful illustrations that follows along all of the words in a linear pattern. The book follows the story of a caveman and his escaping from being embarrassed in the nude to inventing the first pair of underpants. The dinosaurs loved this idea and wanted to take all of the underpants for themselves.

Find out the "true" story of how
Beth
May 06, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During ‘World Book Day’ in my recent placement, I wanted to read my Y2 class a book that I knew would they would enjoy and spark some creativity; hence choosing this book.

The book is full of vibrant illustrations which really capture the text. It tells the story of how dinosaurs became extinct, “Dinosaurs were all wiped out, a long way back in history, no one knows quite how or why, now this book solves the mystery…”

It goes on to let us know that caveman decided to start wearing underpants to
Fariha
Jun 13, 2013 Fariha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hilarious book and is a pretty good way to explain to children how dinosaurs went extinct. It is about a bunch of dinosaurs who fall in love with underpants! Sounds like an unlikely story but it is very plausible for children. This story is written for humour and can certainly make adults laugh too.

The plot is about some cavemen who feel so cold that one comes up with the idea of underpants. The underpants become so popular that everyone wants them, even the dinosaurs! Out of jealousy
Magila
Apr 27, 2013 Magila rated it really liked it
3.5
Kacy Sutton
“Dinosaurs Love Underpants” is about how exactly the dinosaurs became extinct. It puts a funny twist on the fact that dinosaurs no longer exist. The book’s theory goes like this. The cavemen invented underpants so they would no longer be naked. Well, the dinosaurs saw the new invention and got jealous. They wanted to have some underpants too. They took the cavemen’s underpants, but they obviously did not fit. The dinosaurs then started fighting over the underpants. They fought so fiercely that i ...more
Irene
Oct 16, 2012 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: In "Dinosaurs Love Underpants," by Claire Freedman, readers are about to learn what really happened to all the dinosaurs with a rhyming twist. Told with colorful pictures, a crew of quirky cavemen, and a variety of selfish dinosaurs, children are about to uncover the mystery as to why the dinosaurs became extinct. After a caveman decides to make underpants and shares his invention with his cave-people, a few dinosaurs start wearing them too! Some dinosaurs can not fit into their underpa ...more
Lauren Allen
Jun 16, 2014 Lauren Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a theory of why dinosaurs became extinct. It suggests they fought over underpants and that we should appreciate our underpants for that reason.

I like this book because it is silly but fun and the pictures are amusing.

This could be used in the classroom during a dinosaur topic or in guided reading as a lot of inference is needed to comprehend the text.

I would recommend this book to be read to key stage 1 children.
Sarah Sophia
Apr 21, 2010 Sarah Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not my usual genre - but I have young kids.

My son is four, and a dinosaur and car fanatic; but he's not huge into fiction as he likes to know the facts and stare at pictures. As you can guess, that does not leave a lot of fun reading for mommy.

The story is cute, fast passed due to it's being short on words, and heavy on rhymes. In Dr. Seuss fashion it gives a tiny moral to the whole story, making it a fun book to use to encourage getting kids to keep the undies on (maybe if you're in the "
Kyrie Mendonca
Jun 22, 2015 Kyrie Mendonca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and Early Childhood Educators
Teachers can teach self-regulation skills and how not to be a bully by reading this story. The story has some great vocabulary words. For example, crude and deafening. In the story, the dinosaur makes a deafening sound. Teachers can teach students about what a deafening sound is and remind students about using inside voices indoors and so on with other vocab words from the story. A really funny story!
Liz
Apr 29, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dinosaurs love underpants, and so do my kindergarten, first and second graders. When talking about this book with one of my student's parents, she relayed a story about him putting on 15 pairs of underpants one day.

The poetry isn't great, the scientist in me twitches at the idea of dinosaurs living at the same time as people, but the enjoyment factor of my kids? Exponential. When the kiddo who can barely last 10 minutes with me doing ANYTHING sits still for 20 minutes, ask and answers questions
Erin
Jul 21, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Did you know that underpants caused the extinction of dinosaurs? It's true. When cavemen created underpants, dinosaurs got jealous. They wanted underpants, too! The dinosaurs kept fighting about underpants until there was a great war. At the end of the war, no dinosaurs were left. The cavemen rejoiced as their biggest enemy was no more.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Joleene Libby
Everyone knows that dinosaurs are extinct but no one really knows how they became extinct. This book clears that mystery up. Dinosaurs loved the underpants that cavemen created and this created a huge problem for them and caused their ultimate demise.

Best Line-
"These dinos are undies crazy. They've completely run amok!"

Lesson Ideas-questioning
Melissa
Apr 08, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read Alien’s Love Underpants, I knew it sounded familiar… that was because, when I raided the boys bookshelfs, I discovered Dinosaurs Love Underpants by Claire Freedman & Ben Cort. This is another book purchased during my boys dinosaur obsession phase. The combination of dinosaurs and underpants, how could a Mum of boys go past this book?

This book explores why the dinosaurs were really wiped out, and it has something to do with underpants. If you want to find out more, you’ll have to
Kenyada
This story allows children to use their imagination. Some words in the story that is been used will have the children thinking what do they mean. The story talks about feelings. Children will enjoy the different dinosaurs in the story. There will be lots of laughter with the dinosaurs trying to put on the different underwear.
Aug 22, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first graders loved this book. One kid asked how the dinosaurs really died, this wasn't the right book to answer his question. One of my boys is obsessed with dinosaurs and said their types better than I did. The whole class laughed throughout this class. I had them repeat and me and make motions
Margaret Samuels
Feb 04, 2016 Margaret Samuels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
G 5yrs "It's awesome and dinosaury, and I like them because it's underpants! It's super underpants! It gots cavemans in it. The cavemen were happy because all the dinosaurs got wiped out and they were so happy about it. It learned me all the names of the dinosaurs and there was a dinosaurs fight. It was very awesome."
babyhippoface
What killed the dinosaurs? Volcanic eruption? Climate change? Asteroid impact? Nahhhh. It was underpants.

Yup. This little book solves the eons-old mystery: it was underwear what did the dinos in.

It all started when cavemen got embarrassed by being naked all the time. They fashioned themselves some nifty underpants, which would have solved the problem entirely were it not for the greedy T-Rex, who saw them and wanted some undies of his own. Poor cavemen are running for their lives and the T-Rex s
Amanda Zeanah
Jun 20, 2015 Amanda Zeanah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peer, dinosaur, funny
My favorite part of this story has to be the funny and brightly colored cartoons in the illustrations. This story is very humorous and the children will have a nice giggle. The rhyming forms a great story on explaining a funny theory of why dinosaurs became extinct.
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Tabby McTat
  • Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp
  • When a Dragon Moves In
  • I Need My Monster
  • Bear Feels Sick
  • Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice (Skippyjon Jones, #5)
  • Love, Splat
  • Stop Snoring, Bernard!
  • except if
  • Hugless Douglas
  • Little Grunt and the Big Egg
I’ve been a writer for over 15 years now, but it wasn’t planned!

I had a variety of jobs, including secretary, trainee buyer at Harrods, dental nurse, production assistant in a reprographic and printing company and various others.

I began to write after joining a creative writing class. I had no success with article writing, or short stories, or fiction, but the first children’s story I wrote, for a
More about Claire Freedman...

Love Underpants (6 books)
  • Aliens Love Underpants