Start by marking “Dinosaurs Love Underpants” as Want to Read:
Dinosaurs Love Underpants

Dinosaurs Love Underpants (Love Underpants)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  831 ratings  ·  152 reviews
The mystery of dinosaur extinction is solved! Scientists have plenty of theories about why dinosaurs are extinct, but the UK’s bestselling authorillustrator team of Claire Freedman and Ben Cort knows the real answer: The dinos were wiped out in an Underpants War! This wacky celebration of underpants is perfect for reading aloud, and the hilarious antics of T. rex ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaurs Love Underpants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaurs Love Underpants

Shoeb Narot
‘Dinosaurs love Underpants’ by Clare Freedman & Ben Cort

I saw this book in my local library and couldn’t resist picking it up, the humor in the title and the cover illustration caught my attention.

Have you ever wondered why the Dinosaurs became extinct? If the answer is yes then I suggest you read on!

The story starts off with the cavemen feeling embarrassed about being nude so they decide to wear underpants. When the Dinosaurs see that the cavemen are wearing underpants they want some underp
Venus
One would think that any story that included underpants and dinosaurs would be a winner with kids, especially boys. For the kids at my story time, this just wasn't so. The book begins:

Dinosaurs were all wiped out,
A long way back in history,
No one knows quite how or why,
This book solves the mystery...

In this follow-up to the award-winning Aliens Love Underpants, Claire Freedman attempted to write another fun underpants story, but the story simply felt forced. The rhymes often did not flow, not ro
Michaela
Dinosaurs Love Underpants by Claire Freedom delivers what you would imagine it would from the title, it is a fun, short story about just what happens when Dinosaurs discover underpants. I first came across this book when working in the Early Years Foundation Stage. It is a beautifully illustrated courtesy of award winning illustrator Ben Cort, the illustrations work effortlessly to bring the story to life. This has to be one of the most popular stories I have read to children, they were always a ...more
Eloise baker
I chose this book when I was in Reception during book week because I thought it would really appeal to the boys, which it did. They thought it was hilarious!

This book has lovely vibrant illustrations which really match the text. It is the story of how the dinosaurs became extinct, when the caveman decided to start wearing underpants the mean T-Rex wanted a pair too. Soon all the dinosaurs were fighting over their pants - in fact the fighting got so bad that the dinosaurs were all wiped out.

The b
Laura Elisabeth
Me and C read this today, a funny story with some great illustrations {10 minutes spent deciding which pants belonged to which family member} A lovely funny read, great for younger kids.
Zele Butt
Annalisa
The mystery of dinosaur extinction is solved! Dinosaurs love Underpants by Claire Freedman is a fun and imaginative read. It has great describing and movement vocabulary. This book has a lot of tongue twisting rhyming words. Ben Cort did a fantastic job on the illustrations they are bright and lively cartoons. This story is very entertaining for young readers. The dinosaurs and caveman obsession with underpants leaves the dinosaurs fighting to their extinction. I found my self laughing aloud re ...more
Bryanna Johnson
This book was an enchanting read about how dinosaurs go extinct thanks to the great war of underpants. This book is in a four verse rhyme scheme on every page with wonderful illustrations that follows along all of the words in a linear pattern. The book follows the story of a caveman and his escaping from being embarrassed in the nude to inventing the first pair of underpants. The dinosaurs loved this idea and wanted to take all of the underpants for themselves.

Find out the "true" story of how
Beth
During ‘World Book Day’ in my recent placement, I wanted to read my Y2 class a book that I knew would they would enjoy and spark some creativity; hence choosing this book.

The book is full of vibrant illustrations which really capture the text. It tells the story of how dinosaurs became extinct, “Dinosaurs were all wiped out, a long way back in history, no one knows quite how or why, now this book solves the mystery…”

It goes on to let us know that caveman decided to start wearing underpants to
Fariha
This is a hilarious book and is a pretty good way to explain to children how dinosaurs went extinct. It is about a bunch of dinosaurs who fall in love with underpants! Sounds like an unlikely story but it is very plausible for children. This story is written for humour and can certainly make adults laugh too.

The plot is about some cavemen who feel so cold that one comes up with the idea of underpants. The underpants become so popular that everyone wants them, even the dinosaurs! Out of jealousy
Kacy Sutton
“Dinosaurs Love Underpants” is about how exactly the dinosaurs became extinct. It puts a funny twist on the fact that dinosaurs no longer exist. The book’s theory goes like this. The cavemen invented underpants so they would no longer be naked. Well, the dinosaurs saw the new invention and got jealous. They wanted to have some underpants too. They took the cavemen’s underpants, but they obviously did not fit. The dinosaurs then started fighting over the underpants. They fought so fiercely that i ...more
Irene
Summary: In "Dinosaurs Love Underpants," by Claire Freedman, readers are about to learn what really happened to all the dinosaurs with a rhyming twist. Told with colorful pictures, a crew of quirky cavemen, and a variety of selfish dinosaurs, children are about to uncover the mystery as to why the dinosaurs became extinct. After a caveman decides to make underpants and shares his invention with his cave-people, a few dinosaurs start wearing them too! Some dinosaurs can not fit into their underpa ...more
Lauren Allen
This book is about a theory of why dinosaurs became extinct. It suggests they fought over underpants and that we should appreciate our underpants for that reason.

I like this book because it is silly but fun and the pictures are amusing.

This could be used in the classroom during a dinosaur topic or in guided reading as a lot of inference is needed to comprehend the text.

I would recommend this book to be read to key stage 1 children.
Sarah Sophia
It's not my usual genre - but I have young kids.

My son is four, and a dinosaur and car fanatic; but he's not huge into fiction as he likes to know the facts and stare at pictures. As you can guess, that does not leave a lot of fun reading for mommy.

The story is cute, fast passed due to it's being short on words, and heavy on rhymes. In Dr. Seuss fashion it gives a tiny moral to the whole story, making it a fun book to use to encourage getting kids to keep the undies on (maybe if you're in the "
Liz
Dinosaurs love underpants, and so do my kindergarten, first and second graders. When talking about this book with one of my student's parents, she relayed a story about him putting on 15 pairs of underpants one day.

The poetry isn't great, the scientist in me twitches at the idea of dinosaurs living at the same time as people, but the enjoyment factor of my kids? Exponential. When the kiddo who can barely last 10 minutes with me doing ANYTHING sits still for 20 minutes, ask and answers questions
Melissa
When I read Alien’s Love Underpants, I knew it sounded familiar… that was because, when I raided the boys bookshelfs, I discovered Dinosaurs Love Underpants by Claire Freedman & Ben Cort. This is another book purchased during my boys dinosaur obsession phase. The combination of dinosaurs and underpants, how could a Mum of boys go past this book?

This book explores why the dinosaurs were really wiped out, and it has something to do with underpants. If you want to find out more, you’ll have to
babyhippoface
What killed the dinosaurs? Volcanic eruption? Climate change? Asteroid impact? Nahhhh. It was underpants.

Yup. This little book solves the eons-old mystery: it was underwear what did the dinos in.

It all started when cavemen got embarrassed by being naked all the time. They fashioned themselves some nifty underpants, which would have solved the problem entirely were it not for the greedy T-Rex, who saw them and wanted some undies of his own. Poor cavemen are running for their lives and the T-Rex s
Sandy McDowell
I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't read Freedman & Cort's other book Aliens Wear Underpants. Not because they are similar, but because I adore every single detail of the Alien story. These are people that seem like they would be fun to meet.
Shelby Deghand
This book caught my attention with the pictures and that was the only part I really liked about it. There wasn't a great story line and no real message that kids should get from reading it. It was an okay book, very bright and colorful pictures though!
Julie Crabb
I had such high hopes to use this in Storytime. Alas, it has some major flaws. One, it puts dinosaurs and (only male) cavemen together. Two, the dinosaurs kill each other over underpants. Three, they show dead dinosaurs at the end.
Geneva
Meh. I like kids' books to make at least a tiny bit of sense. This one didn't. Also I'm kind of annoyed that we're keeping up the dinosaurs/cavemen trope.

Really its only selling point is the repetition of the word "underwear" which makes it hilarious to any four year old. Pretty boring for the babysitter reading it, though.
Alexis
Silly rhyming book. 1yr old loves it even though I doubt he knows what underpants are. I'd give it five stars but there is one spot where it stops rhyming, breaking the flow. Not sure why the author did this.
Dena (Batch of Books)
I loved loved loved this book! I purchased it through the Scholastic book catalog at my daughter's school. My children love the silly story and laugh at the humorous pictures.

Dinosaurs Love Underpants is a feast for both the eyes and the ears. Bright and colorful illustrations are bountiful in this quick, smartly rhyming story. Children and adults alike will be charmed by the unlikely demise of the dinos.

This book will provide endless entertainment for you and your child. Full of fun and goofy a
Maria
A very sweet book about the history of underpants and their significance for the history of the world. i simply loved the depiction of the sabertooth tiger
Benji Martin
This book should have been great. The illustrations and topic (s) are awesome, but the writing isn't that great. The rhyming is very forced.
Sarah Goodner
This is a hilariously fresh look at the extinction of dinosaurs while simultaneously showing kids why underwear is SO important.
Meadow
Cute, although probably not altogether accurate portrayal of prehistory.
Akeyla Pratt
This book is adorable and funny, and the artwork is great... Very imaginative!
Nancy
My two year old loves it. Silly story and good illustrations.
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Tabby McTat
  • The Underpants Zoo
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • The Very Cranky Bear
  • Love, Splat
  • Chicken Cheeks
  • Pants
  • Oink-a-Doodle-Moo
I’ve been a writer for over 15 years now, but it wasn’t planned!

I had a variety of jobs, including secretary, trainee buyer at Harrods, dental nurse, production assistant in a reprographic and printing company and various others.

I began to write after joining a creative writing class. I had no success with article writing, or short stories, or fiction, but the first children’s story I wrote, for a
More about Claire Freedman...

Love Underpants (5 books)
  • Aliens Love Underpants
  • Aliens in Underpants Save the World
  • Pirates Love Underpants
  • Aliens Love Panta Claus
Aliens Love Underpants Aliens in Underpants Save the World Pirates Love Underpants Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones Aliens Love Panta Claus