Start by marking “The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management” as Want to Read:
The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management

The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management

Faulty decision-making can have dire consequences, and when it comes to group decisions, the challenges are even greater. Join Dr. Jerry B. Harvey as he clearly illustrates why no organization wants to find themselves goin' to Abilene.
See how group dynamics can keep individuals from stating their true beliefs for fear of isolation and separation, and how that often leads
Published August 9th 1996 by Jossey-Bass (first published 1988)

Be the first to ask a question about The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management

Telecosm by George GilderUntil the Sun Falls by Cecelia HollandThe Art of War by Sun TzuA Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto MusashiIn, But Not Of by Hugh Hewitt
OrgA
39 books — 1 voter
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David    Allen
Best Business Books
592 books — 1,122 voters

More lists with this book...

Tom King
Jul 24, 2012 Tom King rated it it was amazing
Jerry Harvey's brilliant, funny and subversive book on management explains how it's not so much how effectively we manage disagreement that matters. W hat managers too often struggle with is the fact that we all agree on what needs to be done, but no one will speak up when everyone's loading up the Buick to drive to Abilene in 105 degree heat and everyone thinks it's a stupid idea.

The book is truly enlightening and I don't say that about many books on management. If you ever have to lead anythi
Chichgu
Mar 11, 2014 Chichgu rated it it was amazing
A different way to meditate on management, the book is short yet full of insights on how our minds trick ourselves in doing things completely wrong, fearing conflict when there's agreement or rewarding selfishness when altruism is all people ask for. The questions to ask ourselves when faced with a choice: 1) what would we rather do? 2) what stops us from doing it? Reading this book gives some kind of spiritual force that makes one feels stronger standing by one's point of view and principles.
Alex
Aug 26, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
When I first read The Abilene Paradox, I hadn't read many business/management books--I preferred fiction. In one of my early jobs, I had the opportunity to read dozens of business titles, and I have to say few compare in content or writing style to Dr. Harvey's classic. None have the sense of humor, the appreciation of the absurd, that Harvey has. And none have the soul, compassion, and wisdom of Harvey.
Ko Matsuo
Oct 09, 2013 Ko Matsuo rated it liked it
Witty essays pointing to group conformity being a strong motivation force for decision making. Made me ponder how weak we are if we cling to virtues of individualism and freedom, but at the same time subconsciously invoke group tyranny to absolve ourselves of responsibility. Writing style is a little long winded but I would love to meet this guy.
Lesley Keller
May 29, 2015 Lesley Keller rated it it was amazing
This is a very personalized view based on a fairly large amount of research covering the topics of management, management systems, groups, and human nature within those groups. The writer covers how our institutions are destroying our humanity, and he personal efforts to change his involvement using thoughtfulness and facts. Simply, I'd say these are some strong ideas, read carefully.
lconnor
Feb 02, 2011 lconnor rated it really liked it
My brother gave me this book, so that makes it a very special book. As our family is discussing a topic, all I have to do is ask "Are we going to Abilene?" to get everyone to reexamine their true beliefs.
Adam
Dec 18, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-breed
A management book for people with short attention spans (that would be all of them) and for people who like parables. Who doesn't?
Kris
Apr 12, 2013 Kris rated it liked it
Non-fiction management book. Thought provoking, but definitely "sermon-y" - which the author admits is his drawback in the intro.
Sunil
Sep 16, 2009 Sunil rated it liked it
Very odd business book, does get you thinking bout the workplace and social organizations. Read it with heavy grain of salt
Joel Pruett
Aug 09, 2012 Joel Pruett rated it did not like it
Interesting ideas, but full of loose, kitschy metaphors and sensational imagery.
Lisa
Jan 09, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on group-think I've read.
Chad Newton
Oct 04, 2014 Chad Newton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
What a fantastic paradigm for analyzing organization dysfunction!
Karla
Oct 12, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it
Great book about decision making in life and in the business world; and how bad decisions impact our life and daily work.
Noah Dropkin
Dec 22, 2009 Noah Dropkin rated it really liked it
Short volume of essays espousing Harvey's view of business management. Great read, thought provoking ideas.
Heather Boothe
Heather Boothe rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2012
Ryan Posey
Ryan Posey rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2011
Larry Ousley
Larry Ousley rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Dennis Boccippio
Dennis Boccippio rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2010
Fred Howard
Fred Howard rated it really liked it
May 10, 2015
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Clay Powell
Clay Powell rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Rahil Jafry
Rahil Jafry rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2008
Bob Schatz
Bob Schatz rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Dan Ward
Dan Ward rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2007
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Shari
Shari rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2008
Mehdi Bouricha
Mehdi Bouricha rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Art Of The Long View:  Planning For The Future In An Uncertain World
  • Power Reading: The Best, Fastest, Easiest, Most Effective Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed: The Fastest, Best, Easiest Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed!
  • The Wizard of Ads
  • Triggers: 30 Sales Tools you can use to Control the Mind of your Prospect to Motivate, Influence and Persuade.
  • Guerrilla Publicity: Hundreds of Sure-Fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars
  • Exploring Requirements: Quality Before Design
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • The Modern Firm: Organizational Design for Performance and Growth
  • The One to One Future
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking
  • The Project50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
  • Business Dynamics : Systems Thinking And Modeling For The Complex World 1ED