The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management

The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Faulty decision-making can have dire consequences, and when it comes to group decisions, the challenges are even greater. Join Dr. Jerry B. Harvey as he clearly illustrates why no organization wants to find themselves goin' to Abilene.
See how group dynamics can keep individuals from stating their true beliefs for fear of isolation and separation, and how that often leads...more
Published August 9th 1996 by Jossey-Bass (first published 1988)

Be the first to ask a question about The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management

Good to Great by Jim CollinsThe Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Best books for business
102nd out of 117 books — 171 voters
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by Jim CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
Best Business Books
316th out of 364 books — 709 voters

More lists with this book...

Tom King
Jerry Harvey's brilliant, funny and subversive book on management explains how it's not so much how effectively we manage disagreement that matters. W hat managers too often struggle with is the fact that we all agree on what needs to be done, but no one will speak up when everyone's loading up the Buick to drive to Abilene in 105 degree heat and everyone thinks it's a stupid idea.

The book is truly enlightening and I don't say that about many books on management. If you ever have to lead anythi...more
Chichgu
A different way to meditate on management, the book is short yet full of insights on how our minds trick ourselves in doing things completely wrong, fearing conflict when there's agreement or rewarding selfishness when altruism is all people ask for. The questions to ask ourselves when faced with a choice: 1) what would we rather do? 2) what stops us from doing it? Reading this book gives some kind of spiritual force that makes one feels stronger standing by one's point of view and principles.
Alex
When I first read The Abilene Paradox, I hadn't read many business/management books--I preferred fiction. In one of my early jobs, I had the opportunity to read dozens of business titles, and I have to say few compare in content or writing style to Dr. Harvey's classic. None have the sense of humor, the appreciation of the absurd, that Harvey has. And none have the soul, compassion, and wisdom of Harvey.
Ko Matsuo
Witty essays pointing to group conformity being a strong motivation force for decision making. Made me ponder how weak we are if we cling to virtues of individualism and freedom, but at the same time subconsciously invoke group tyranny to absolve ourselves of responsibility. Writing style is a little long winded but I would love to meet this guy.
lconnor
My brother gave me this book, so that makes it a very special book. As our family is discussing a topic, all I have to do is ask "Are we going to Abilene?" to get everyone to reexamine their true beliefs.
Kris
Non-fiction management book. Thought provoking, but definitely "sermon-y" - which the author admits is his drawback in the intro.
Adam
A management book for people with short attention spans (that would be all of them) and for people who like parables. Who doesn't?
Sunil
Very odd business book, does get you thinking bout the workplace and social organizations. Read it with heavy grain of salt
Karla
Great book about decision making in life and in the business world; and how bad decisions impact our life and daily work.
Noah Dropkin
Short volume of essays espousing Harvey's view of business management. Great read, thought provoking ideas.
Joel Pruett
Interesting ideas, but full of loose, kitschy metaphors and sensational imagery.
Lisa
This is the best book on group-think I've read.
Ookami Chijeage
Ookami Chijeage marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Tra Loan
Tra Loan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 15, 2014
Timothy Kauphusman
Timothy Kauphusman marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sanjeev
Sanjeev marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Prashanth Jnanendra
Prashanth Jnanendra marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Yigit
Yigit marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
How Come Every Time I Get Stabbed in the Back My Fingerprints Are on the Knife: And Other Meditations on Management