Start by marking “VoiceMale: What Husbands Really Think About Their Marriages, Their Wives, Sex, Housework, and Commitment” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In their own words, married men reveal what they really think about marriage, sex, housework, commitment, and intimacy.

Much has been written about what women want from their relationships and marriages. But what men want has remained a mystery -- until now. In his groundbreaking new book, VoiceMale, author and journalist Neil Chethik reveals surprising truths about marrie
Published May 20th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about VoiceMale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about VoiceMale

Erin
VoiceMale caught my eye as I was searching for something for a library patron, and I picked it up out of curiosity. What DO husbands think about their marriages, wives, sex, housework, and commitment? The result of Neil Chethik's research is an interesting mix of the surprising, the sad, and the encouraging, with a good dose of the obvious thrown in. (Men who split housework fairly with their wives tend to have happier marriages with more sex. Gee, no kidding!!)

Chethik's findings mesh well with
Joe
My main takeaways:

1. there is a direct link between how equally married couples perceive househould chores to be divided, and quality of their sex life

2. the kind of relationship a man has with his father is a strong influence on the kind of husband he becomes (more so than his relationship with his mother)

3. pick your battles - value the relationship over any disagreement you may have

4. Don't Just Say No - if you want to veto an idea your spouse has for something, don't immediately say "no". If
Ariadna73
Yesterday I read a book called Voicemale ( Voicemale : what husbands really think about their marriages; their wives; sex; housework; and commitment / Neil Chethik) it was about a survey the author did between 300 husbands and asked them about they marriages and their feelings. I liked it; and I could understand some things that were difficult in the beginning of my own marriage. I learned that intimacy for men is a matter of side-by-side; more than a face-to-face thing.I learned that men are mo ...more
Annie
I don't have many brothers so the male perspective has always been a bit mysterious to me. I really enjoyed gaining some insight from this book. The author surveyed 300 men (yes, a small sample size compared to the large population, I do recognize) corroborates his findings with other large scale research (many of which I had heard about in my college course called Psychology of Love) to discuss the patterns and main phases of a marriage. He also conducted an in-depth interview with 77 husbands ...more
Jane Night
Full review available on my blog:

This was a fine read but nothing super special.

The information presented in the book was mostly stuff I already knew or expected from years of reading relationship books. So, there wasn’t much new here. Men still prefer doing to talking. Men want more sex than women most of the time. Men don’t mind helping with housework as long as women don’t criticize what they do.

There were a few aspects of this book that I did really li
Chavala Trigg
This book provides a fascinating look into the hearts and minds of men committed to their marriages. The writer shares in-depth and intimate details of what men value the most regarding their relationships and their wives. The information is based upon survey results and interviews conducted by the writer, as well as research and insights from other professionals in various related fields. I was also delighted to find some references credited to David Popenoe who authored an amazing textbook (wh ...more
Amber Cable
Maybe this will shed light on the what's going on in his pretty little head. Or not. This book was based primarily on people who were married on or before 1967, so it really isn't based on current marriages, men today, this is men of the past. Good, I guess, although it's appauling how indifferently they feel about their wives at times when it came to debating to stay or leave the relationship, or sleeping with other women during the marriage. Shrug, shrug.
Amanda
So I probably should write about VoiceMale. I thought it was quite interesting really, a sociologist writing about men in relationships basically - what they think, how they express themselves, etc. The part of the book I really liked is that he didn't just interview men and draw conclusions. He also conducted a nationally representative phone survey to validate those findings. I really liked that approach giving that I write surveys as my job. LOL.
Amanda
Aurora
I really enjoyed this book. The author speaks only to men, and looking at the comments the men he interviews have as well as what his survey says about people's happiness in really long-term marriages give an interesting and fairly optimistic picture. Recommended if you like "relationship-y" books; a quick read with entertaining tidbits.
Rachel Noble
Go Neil! If you don't know Neil (also the writer-in-residence here at the Carnegie Center) you should. I thought that I was the last person in the world who would be interested in reading a book on this topic, but Neil's great writing brought me around. I was enthralled.
Amy
An interesting look at how men really think about marriage.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Novitha Remaganthan
Novitha Remaganthan marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Tamra
Tamra marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Tasneem
Tasneem marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Mounika
Mounika marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Artur Palvanov
Artur Palvanov marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Dec 07, 2013
Fauzi.siddiqgmail.com
Fauzi.siddiqgmail.com marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Fatherloss: How Sons of All Ages Come to Terms with the Deaths of Their Dads Snake Oil