Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You

Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The advice maven author of Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? demonstrates how disorganization in any area of a life can compromise the functionality of all other areas, in a guide that outlines a step-by-step plan for addressing a wide rang..Title: .Enough Already!..Author: .Walsh, Peter..Publisher: .Simon & Schuster..Publication Date: .2009/12/29..Number of Pag...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Free Press (first published February 20th 2009)

Alexandra Chauran
This book was about on par with Zen Habits - Handbook for Life in that it was a lot of pretty obvious advice. Walsh even admits that people already know what is good for them, it's just a matter of motivation and establishing good habits to get there. Walsh walks through a wide variety of topics pertaining to mental clutter, which was helpful. However, there was nothing mind-blowing and the book grew tired and repetitive with some advice seeming completely impractical and condescending towards p...more
Amy
In "Enough Already," organizing expert Peter Walsh takes de-cluttering principles and applies them to many areas of life: relationships, work, family, money, health, and our sense of well-being.

I embraced the idea promised by the subtitle, "Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You," but I was disappointed that Walsh separated this topic so thoroughly from his advice about physical clutter. He writes, "Getting rid of the physical clutter is, as they say, another story, and it's one I've alr...more
Tiffany
So, the subtitle of the book is "Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You" and some of the descriptions I've read were about "clearing your mind" and "freeing your mind" and the like. I got the impression, then, that this book would be about getting rid of negativity in your mind so that you could become a better you and find a happy relationship, good family life, good job, etc. Instead, it starts from the assumption that you already have the relationship, family life, and job, but you wa...more
Ron
Basically, Walsh takes the same principles he's applied in previous books to the physical clutter that accumulates around your home and the weight that accumulates around our eating habits and brings to bear on every other aspect of our lives: home, work, money, health, etc. For Walsh, it all boils down to a simple question; okay, two simple questions: What is your vision for the life you want to live, and do your choices and actions actively reinforce that vision?

If they don't, he says, you ne...more
Molly
Ok, this all made sense, he makes some good points about how physical clutter affects you mentally. I wanted to throw the book across the room by the time I was done with his chapter on parenting. As far as I could tell from his wikipedia entry, the man doesn't have kids. He had some lovely and unrealistic advice on how to parent. Whatever. In a perfect universe. And I got sick of how he kept talking about what "your partner" should be doing to help. Obviously geared to an upperclass lifestyle,...more
Jay
"While the clutter you see around you might seem bad, even overwhelming and paralyzing, the physical clutter that fills our homes is nothing compared to the invisible clutter that fillws our heads."

In this book, organization expert Peter Walsh says we buy stuff for the promise it offers and the world doesn't work like that. Enough Already is intended to take you from a vision of the life you want in several key areas so we can deal with underlying feelings to become our best selves.

The book foc...more
Adrienne
There were some good ideas and thoughts in this book about how we can clear clutter from other aspects of our lives, similar to how we would clear physical clutter. However, I found the book was cluttered (yes, cluttered) with a lot of worksheets and activity sheets -- some were helpful, but most were not. Also, I felt that many times the author was treading into territory he did not have much knowledge or expertise about and should have consulted or referenced other sources in those areas to ma...more
Jensa
I'm a champion of the anti-clutter movement, which drew me to this book. I didn't like that within the first few pages the author told you to read his previous book (about decluttering your home) before continuing. Almost made me want to stop! Luckily I kept on because there were several good points made throughout the book that inspired me to cut out the unnecessary. I especially liked the sections on relationships, homes, and children. There were chapters that didn't apply to me so I skimmed t...more
Marta
Dec 26, 2011 Marta marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Peter Walsh is my organizational inspiration. I saw Peter on Clean Sweep and will never forget his gentle suggestion to a woman who wouldn't let go of her dirty old recliner. He asked why she hung on to it. She explained that she had had surgery and this was the chair she convalesced in. Peter gently told her that it was not the chair that she was attached to, but the memory of her husband caring for her while she recovered. She let the chair go.

I've read the chapter on relationships. It's strai...more
David Peters
Why I read It
I love everything about decluttering and simple living so I read all the books I can about the subject. Don Aslett is another good source for this topic.

The Good
Great advice, that in my experience, we all need. I have yet to meet a truly decluttered person.

The Bad
More about the psychology behind the mental clutter in our lives rather than the nitty gritty details..

The Ugly (my opinion)
An informative read which I can pretty much guarantee will have something to help you within its pa...more
Vanessa
I really enjoy Peter Walsh's books. He makes the subject of de-clutting your house approachable and breaks it into easy and logical steps. In this book, he talks about mental clutter regarding relationships, work, money, and your home, and ties those topics in to physical clutter. I am amazed at the effect that physical clutter can have on your entire life. Peter's book is inspirational and I highly recommend it to anyone facing any clutter, be it physical, mental, or both.
Maggie
Ok, a moment of madness lead me to borrow this book from the local library. I was looking at their audio books thinking how good it would be to listen to a variety of things whilst I drive around. NOT this book though. Although I appreciate what the author was trying to get across it didn't work for me. Probably because he specialises in clearing out clutter and isn't a psychologist. Will definitely be more selective in future with my audio book choices.
Erin
I admit to skimming this book a bit after discovering that it is definitely targeted at an older audience. I could use a similar booked targeted at the twenty-something recent college graduates (who are currently living at home).
That said, I found the chapters on relationships and health pretty universal and quite helpful.
A good read. I recommend it and look forward to picking it up again in a few years when it has more relevance for me.
Amy
Although this book so far is very different than what I anticipated from the title, it is very helpful for developing purposeful thinking in all aspects of life. So far the focus is on managing your time, space, and your emotional investments. Mental clutter? Well, just maybe the lack of time management, poor space planning, and immature emotional investment decision-making is what generates mental clutter. I could be on to something here! :-)
Alison
This book is about clearing mental clutter to be the best you. I liked it and it had great ideas and suggestions on how to “de-clutter” relationships, money, work, health and family. Make small changes, live in the present, face fears, and celebrate successes. I know I feel so much better when my spaces are clutter free - and even better when I take care of my mental clutter. Good read.
Book Him Danno
Love the clutter buster and his appearances on Oprah. I try to keep things from filling my house, but with five kids, and dog the house is full of things. This is a great book to get you motivated to give, throw and recycle things you really don't need and really don't need to keep around gathering dust. If you need a boost to get your house in order read this book.
Ashley
"If the life you live doesn't make you feel centered and something has got to change."

This was a random impulse pick up at the library (I do those every so often for variety). It was a great overview/pep talk, but only a few of the areas were helpful for me. The overall gist is living in line with your ideal vision of your life, which I'm fully behind.
Diane
Not so great! Couldn't wait for it to be done. I really like Peter Walsh's TV show, but this was very repetitive and didn't really offer much new or ground breaking. Lots of reference to the questionnaires, which if you're listening to the book as I was, is disruptive, because you don't carry the pdf print out around with you.
Kari
I picked up this book at Monica's recommendation - thanks Monica!
I don't feel like my life is terribly cluttered, but the focus on taking care of yourself first is one I try to embrace. Walsh discusses how to declutter relationships, work, family, money, and health. Underlying it all is, of course, cleaning out the physical clutter.
Lauri
This wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. More a self-help/motivational books for improving different areas of your life. I did use some of the practical applications from the chapter on finances. I really just scanned the headings throughout the book and read some of the letters from readers.
Daniel Garza
There is a lot of common sense chapters. But the read is light and keeps your attention.

There are testimonials from folks Peter Walsh has helped. Some activities to do on your owns.

Overall I would recommend it to someone who is looking for a way out of the clutter, be it physical or mental.
adventurat
I had high hopes of this book, but was disappointed to find that there was nothing particularly new in it, apart from the examples Peter cited about how he approached particular challenges. Everything else, I'd already gleaned from seeing him on Clean Sweep, and his previous book.
Sarah Combs
I can't finish it. Mr. Walsh should stick to home decluttering in - I don't think minds are his thing. This book feels like he took his book It's All Too Much and just added a few thoughts mental clutter. Or maybe I just have so much mental clutter I don't get it.
Maria
OK. I need to stop reading about organizing and just do it. I did like the layout of the chapters and dividing it up into sections of my life and relationships rather than just the "stuff" in my house.
Donna
This book was just "o.k." -- seemed to be the same stuff I've already read on the topic. Guess I'll just have to live with my "mental clutter" and you know what? I think I like it that way!

Andrienne
I wanted to like this book, but it just didn't have enough meat to really be worthwhile. I picked up The Clutter Diet instead and have found more meaningful suggestions and stories in there.
Kaaren Douglas
Good information reworked from his other tomes. I appreciated his comments on the dangers of multitasking, and ideas about why a clean desk is important to staying focused and on task.
Heather
Well I kinda read it, the information wasn't anything that you haven't heard before, so I have decide to walk away and spend my time on the many other books I would like to read.
Rachel
Less revelation and more confirmation. Pairs nicely with the GTD philosophy. Writing style is appealing and straightforward. . . I'm intrigued enough to read more of his books.

Amanda
The "family" chapter was a good reminder for me...the rest I could do without (especially because he has a whole book on "clutter" and another on having a "healthy" life).
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning, and Calm the Chaos
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
  • One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good
  • Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide to Caring for Everything in Your Home
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient & Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
19313
Born and raised in Australia, Peter moved to Los Angeles in 1994 to launch a corporation to help organizations improve employee’s job satisfaction and effectiveness. He considers himself to be part-contractor, part-therapist in his approach to helping individuals attain their goals.

When not wading through clutter and large-scale disorganization, Peter divides his time between his work in Los Angel...more
More about Peter Walsh...
It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System Lighten Up: Love What You Have, Have What You Need, Be Happier with Less It's All Too Much, So Get It Together