Start by marking “What the Drug Companies Won't Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn't Know: The Alternative Treatments That May Change Your Life--and the Prescriptions That Could Harm You” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Adverse reactions to over-the-counter and prescription drugs are currently estimated to kill more than 100,000 Americans a year (making this the fourth leading cause of death in the United States behind cancer, heart disease, and stroke).
Drawing on more than twenty years of scientific research, Dr. Michael T. Murray reveals how the pharmaceutical treatments of the most co
Published May 4th 2010 by Atria Books (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about What the Drug Companies Won't Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn't Know

Charlene
Oct 14, 2013 Charlene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Murray's title is long, but describes it perfectly. I initially found this book in the library, and after reading it, bought a copy for my personal collection. He takes on cholesterol, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, and diabetes drugs among other things. His opinions have merit; the basis of the book is that drug companies greatly influence drug research and development, its testing and approval process, drug price and marketing, respected medical journals, and doctor education.

As with other
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 Jodi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-books
This book attempts to a) to point out the flaws in our current drug based medical system and b) to outline some of the basic facts and principles of what the author calls `rational medicine.'

The first point is well made in this book. All sorts of shocking facts and statistics are included that should be more than enough for anyone to re-evaluate the information we have come to accept as factual concerning drugs and how they are used to treat diseases and how harmful or successful they are.

The au
Annette
May 23, 2010 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Please read this book. The basic premise is to eat healthy and exercise. So that is nothing new; we all know that, we just don't always follow the advice.

What is informative in this book, and that most people don't know, is that the big pharmaceutical companies control all of the "scientific studies" you read in the press. They control most of the "guidelines" set to determine if you should be on prescription medications. They convince doctor's that using chemical pharmaceuticals is better than
Lisa
Mar 23, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A must read.
Katey
Aug 11, 2010 Katey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book offers a good argument for CAM and the author's reasoning why conventional medicine has failed in many areas. Much more intelligent and sensible than other things I've read about this, although it skirts on the edge of that sometimes (you must have spirituality to be truly happy and healthy, placebo effect is good no matter what). I didn't learn any Earth shattering new information from this book, but a few useful tidbits here and there.
Suellen
Book on alternative treatments that may change your life--and the prescriptions that are given out like candy that can harm more than help. Just my opinion because I have travel the road of being the one they didn't know what to do with. And I got tired of the results....
Cheri
Aug 10, 2010 Cheri rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that in my opinion, everyone should read! Especially if you have a loved one who is sick.
This book is so informative and just confirmed all my suspicions.
Absolute must read!
Sara
May 31, 2010 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish. Interesting, but was hoping for broader scope - very focused on a few particularly prevalent medical issues, that I didn't happen to be as interested in
Beverly
Dec 10, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essential information...a must-read...
Rich
Rich rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Simone Anderson
Simone Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Vikash Sharma
Vikash Sharma marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Cesar Mercado
Cesar Mercado marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Trina
Trina added it
Jan 17, 2016
Jaxie B
Jaxie B marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Lee Hickok
Lee Hickok rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Kevin Joseph
Kevin Joseph marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Reginald Alexander
Reginald Alexander rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Teresa Brand
Teresa Brand rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Chelsea Thomas
Chelsea Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dr. Murray is one of the world’s leading authorities on natural medicine. He has published over 30 books featuring natural approaches to health. His research into the health benefits of proper nutrition is the foundation for a best-selling line of dietary supplements from Natural Factors, where he is Director of Product Development. He is a graduate, former faculty member, and serves on the Board ...more
More about Michael T. Murray...