What the Drug Companies Won't Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn't Know: The Alternative Treatments That May Change Your Life--and the Prescriptions That Could Harm You

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Adverse reactions to over-the-counter and prescription drugs are currently estimated to kill more than 100,000 Americans a year (making this the fourth leading cause of death in the United States behind cancer, heart disease, and stroke).
Drawing on more than twenty years of scientific research, Dr. Michael T. Murray reveals how the pharmaceutical treatments of the most co...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Atria Books (first published June 14th 2009)

Charlene
Murray's title is long, but describes it perfectly. I initially found this book in the library, and after reading it, bought a copy for my personal collection. He takes on cholesterol, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, and diabetes drugs among other things. His opinions have merit; the basis of the book is that drug companies greatly influence drug research and development, its testing and approval process, drug price and marketing, respected medical journals, and doctor education.

As with other...more
Jodi
This book attempts to a) to point out the flaws in our current drug based medical system and b) to outline some of the basic facts and principles of what the author calls `rational medicine.'

The first point is well made in this book. All sorts of shocking facts and statistics are included that should be more than enough for anyone to re-evaluate the information we have come to accept as factual concerning drugs and how they are used to treat diseases and how harmful or successful they are.

The au...more
Annette
May 23, 2010 Annette rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Please read this book. The basic premise is to eat healthy and exercise. So that is nothing new; we all know that, we just don't always follow the advice.

What is informative in this book, and that most people don't know, is that the big pharmaceutical companies control all of the "scientific studies" you read in the press. They control most of the "guidelines" set to determine if you should be on prescription medications. They convince doctor's that using chemical pharmaceuticals is better than...more
Katey
The book offers a good argument for CAM and the author's reasoning why conventional medicine has failed in many areas. Much more intelligent and sensible than other things I've read about this, although it skirts on the edge of that sometimes (you must have spirituality to be truly happy and healthy, placebo effect is good no matter what). I didn't learn any Earth shattering new information from this book, but a few useful tidbits here and there.
Suellen
Book on alternative treatments that may change your life--and the prescriptions that are given out like candy that can harm more than help. Just my opinion because I have travel the road of being the one they didn't know what to do with. And I got tired of the results....
Cheri
This was one of those books that in my opinion, everyone should read! Especially if you have a loved one who is sick.
This book is so informative and just confirmed all my suspicions.
Absolute must read!
Sara
Didn't finish. Interesting, but was hoping for broader scope - very focused on a few particularly prevalent medical issues, that I didn't happen to be as interested in
Beverly
Essential information...a must-read...
Glenda Gilles
Glenda Gilles marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Delabe
Delabe added it
May 15, 2014
Christopher Crawford
Christopher Crawford marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Claudio Reali
Claudio Reali marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Delaney
Delaney marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Stacy Sheppard
Stacy Sheppard marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
CJ
CJ marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Themba
Themba marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Linda Carter
Linda Carter is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine The Complete Book of Juicing: Your Delicious Guide to Youthful Vitality Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements: The Essential Guide for Improving Your Health Naturally How to Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medincine The Healing Power of Herbs: The Enlightened Person's Guide to the Wonders of Medicinal Plants (Healing Power)