Start by marking “Pawns and Symbols” as Want to Read:
Pawns and Symbols

Pawns and Symbols (Star Trek: The Original Series #26)

Pawns And Symbols
Threatened by a deadly famine, the Klingon Empire is on the verge of igniting a mad interplanetary war of conquest. When an earthquake destroys a remote Federation research station, Jean Czerny, agricultural scientist, succumbs to amnesia. Stranded on enemy borders, she is imprisoned by Kang, the evil commander of a Klingon battleship. Now Kirk must pla
Published September 22nd 2000 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published August 16th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Pawns and Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pawns and Symbols

Jerry
Jan 07, 2017 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rough start, but got better as it went on.
Mary
Dec 13, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review needs a title! Two choices: A guilty pleasure, but a pleasure nonetheless. Or: Yes, Jean Czerny is a Mary Sue. Yes, this is fanfic. It's a good story, anyway!

In brief, I'd like to point you to Matthew Schiariti's review on amazon. He does a good job pointing out the book's strengths and weaknesses, and I agree with him. In particular, I, too, loved the exploration of "classic", pre-ridge Klingon society, and loved that almost no one in the book was exactly what they seemed to be. Lar
Mike Crate
May 26, 2016 Mike Crate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Sherman's planet is once again the center of galactic attention after a natural disaster destroys the Federation outpost on the planet. The Klingon commander Kang rescues Jean Czerny the sole survivor of the outpost and takes her aboard his starship. She is treated for her injuries and general poor condition and he then invokes a Klingon tradition that by saving her life she is bonded to him. The Empire is still desperate to gain access to the hybrid quadrotriticale and even when torture and and ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Apr 09, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This could well be the dullest, least enjoyable Star Trek novel ever written. Did anything worthy of note actually OCCUR in this novel? I certainly can't recall...and I have no desire to go back and try again. Perhaps one day, when my courage is up to it.

Miriam
May 03, 2010 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Less time is spent with the original characters than with the exploration of various cultures of the Klingon worlds, through the eyes of a Federations scientist who has been taken prisoner.
Denise
Aug 04, 2007 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star_trek
One of the weaker Star Trek novels. The Klingons are too nice!
Christa
Dec 24, 2016 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was written in the time before Gene tightened the reins on what writers in the Trek-verse were and weren't allowed to write. For those of you who cry"Mary Sue!" and "This is really fan fiction!" I point you to "The Killing Time". For those looking for a fun read that just *happens* to be set in the Trek-verse, this isn't halfway bad.
Claudia
Apr 21, 2009 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read a lot of Star Trek tie-in novels in my teens, and "Pawns and Symbols" was one of the few that made a lingering impression to an extend that I picked it up years later as an adult. It's set in TOS canon, but only marginally relates to Kirk & co (there's a sub-plot with a Romulan woman on board of the Enterprise that seems largely filler material) while the main plot is based on an original character who gets stranded in the Klingon Empire.

Larson's protagonist Jean Czerny may or may no
Dan
Jul 27, 2012 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, tos, e-books
A fairly middle-of-the-road Star Trek novel. The Klingons as presented are uneven and not really keeping with any of the other portrayals of the regular antagonists we've seen over the years. The character of Jean Czerny is interesting, but I feel that the novel focuses on her confusion and "fish-out-of-water"ness a bit too much. Still, it was an interesting read, and there are certainly fun moments that remain memorable.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2012/11/p...
TheTick
Apr 27, 2012 TheTick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I mostly remember it for it's meandering plot, some odd focus on the medical differences between the eyesight of Klingons and Humans, and...something else? There was a plot, I swear. Something to do with the grain we saw on the 'Trouble with Tribbles' episode, and starving people, that we don't see. Really odd, not very good.
Craig Tyler
Sep 30, 2014 Craig Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was an extremely well thought out and complex star trek novel. I thought the use of cyrano jones and the tribbles were not necessary for the story but the author chose to tie back to the series several times successfully and cyrano felt forced. Great main character who was not Kirk, Bones or Spock.
Michael Hanscom
Interesting primarily due to its exploration of Klingon society and culture at a time when very little was canon. Of course, nearly everything posited in this book has since been contradicted by later Trek shows, but that's common to many of the Trek novels.
rivka
May 09, 2011 rivka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek, avoid
I am amazed that people consider this a great book. Actually, I'm amazed it got published as a ST novel -- even with as uneven as the early ones were.
Rebecca Huston
Definitely a Mary-Sue novel, but hey, it's got Klingons! And Kang! So it's a sentimental favourite...
Kreg
Nov 09, 2008 Kreg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tos
Starfleet scientist captured by the Klingons to use as a political pawn. Doesn't quite fit in with Klingon history as established by TNG and DS9, but taken on it's own it is a very nice story.
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Nigel Baker
Nigel Baker rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Jacquelyne Aubuchon
Jacquelyne Aubuchon rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
William Libbrecht
William Libbrecht rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Rod Simmons
Rod Simmons rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Jake
Jake rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
May 15, 2012
Diana Crisp
Diana Crisp rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2015
Waylon
Waylon rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2008
Bruce
Bruce rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2012
  • The Rift
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Mindshadow
  • Black Fire
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Death Count
  • The Starship Trap
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • The Abode of Life

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire