Brand Sense: Sensory Secrets Behind the Stuff We Buy

Brand Sense: Sensory Secrets Behind the Stuff We Buy

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Now available in paperback, BRAND sense, thedefinitive book on sensory branding, shows how companiesappeal to consumers' five senses.

Did you know that the gratifying smell that accompanies the purchase of a new automobile actually comes from a factory-installed aerosol can containing "new car" aroma? Or that Kellogg's trademarked "crunch" is generated in sound laboratories...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Free Press (first published 2005)

Zhi Jian
Chapter 1
Types of Branding Proposition

There are currently 6 types of branding proposition.
1. Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
No two products are alike.
Occurs in 1950s.

2. Emotional Selling Proposition (ESP)
Products were perceived as different primarily because of an emotional attachment. (Similar brands are perceived as different primarily because of an emotional attachment, eg Pepsi and Coke)
Occurs in 1960s.

3. Organizational Selling Proposition (OSP)
Organization behind the brand in fact became...more
Minah
Ad people had sort of the same initial thoughts in late 1990's and early 2000's. I have been so into 5 sensory environmental experience with new technology for empowering brands. It's very good organized thoughts with practical evidences and researches.
Ronald
I wasn't impressed. Very repetitive and not very insightful. The Cliff Notes version would have been better.
Nura Yusof
I bought this book because it was endorsed by Philip Kotler and The Wall Street Journal. And the fact that Martin Lindstrom is a renowned marketing guru. The WSJ hailed it to be “one of the five best marketing books ever published”. Was curious about this and I did some Googling.

Turns out that it was one of 5 books that Steve Cone (senior marketing executive at Citigroup and the author of "Steal These Ideas: Marketing Secrets That Will Make You a Star" ) thought was the best. See the WSJ article...more
William Blair
This looked like it was going to be interesting to read, along the lines of pop psychology, and it was short enough and the dust jacket blurb was interesting enough that I figured it would be good for an evening or two.

But what the book turned out to be was essentially an advertisement for the services offered by the author's company. And some of his ideas are truly strange (to me).

But a small portion of the book was interesting, along the lines of the history of advertising and how it works (...more
Doug
Offers neat insights into what goes into a brand and their efforts to make their brands more engaging and immersive to consumers. One thing that gives me pause is that the book seems to regard religion as the ultimate brand experience, complete with logos, rituals that engage all five senses, and a source of identity and well-being to its adherents. It seems that this book is great at explaining techniques for how to create a mystique around a brand, but I don't think any product is going to del...more
Miljana
The best branding book I have read so far. The last 2 - 3 chapters were kind of dull, repetetive but the book is very good. It inspired me to come up with a 5D branding strategy for a travel agency. Thanks, Lindstrom.
Susanna Mtz
The author says the same things again and again.
Janice
Great case studies on branding to the senses. Sensory perception, sensory touch, sensory memories. Some background in cognitive and behavioral psychology, but a bit of a stretch. I believe in sensory branding, but could Abercrombie please stop with the in-store smell? It's nauseating. Did you know bakeries in France (and elsewhere around the world) have oven stacks that extend to the front windows, hence the awesome fresh-baked baguettes smell to lure ya in.
Caroline
Had to read this book for one of my grad school classes. Interesting premise and some valid points, but he spent 150+ pages talking about things that could have been covered in 50. Nevertheless, it was an easy, and semi-entertaining read overall.
Dana
so cool. Nokia is taking over - and smell, as the sense most associated with memory, could someday be puffed out of your computer screen. Imagine a 3-d printer that makes smells instead. I smell a really cool sci-fi concept coming on...
Serdar
Lindstrom's book opens your eyes for other sensual touchpoints between the brands and the consumers. The book gives detailed examples and elaborates on how brands use other sensual feelings to connect with consumers.
Adam Wiggins
Argues that branding should be more than just copywriting, logos, and colorschemes: instead, engage all senses. "New car smell" is one example.

Reasonable enough, but I got bored at 18% (page 38 / 156).
Jolanda Bloechlinger
Ein sehr lehrreiches Buch über Markenführung. Warum wir bestimmte Marken lieber kaufen als andere und wie man als Unternehmen die Erkenntnisse des Neuromarketing/Brand Sense anwenden kann.
Daniel Proctor
Interesting with lots of insight but as with other books from Lindstrom, there seemed to be far too much repartition.
Alyssa
A must read for anyone who is a supporter of Holistic Design practices or Strategic Design
Ivalu Rosing
Very similar to Buyology, but I think I preferred this one...? I don't remember. Good stuff still.
Phil Fox
An interesting look at how one can improve brand recall beyond simple logos and slogans.
Penelope
How our senses enhance branding.
Tee
Lots of fun facts; it's a nice read.
Lisa
Apr 12, 2010 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rich Nathan Recommendation.
Abayomi Ayoola
Jul 14, 2008 Abayomi Ayoola is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Still reading
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Iulia Șomcutean
Iulia Șomcutean marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Mahmoud Baraka
Mahmoud Baraka marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Christina Rudrich
Christina Rudrich marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
  • Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain
  • The Brand Gap
  • The Origin of Brands: How Product Evolution Creates Endless Possibilities for New Brands
  • Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are
  • Designing Brand Identity: A Complete Guide to Creating, Building, and Maintaining Strong Brands
  • Confessions of an Advertising Man
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • Lovemarks
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Brand Failures: The Truth about the 100 Biggest Branding Mistakes of All Time
  • Persuasion: A New Approach to Changing Minds
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Spent: Sex, Evolution, and Consumer Behavior
  • Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing out of Sync?
  • Why We Buy: The Science Of Shopping
Martin Lindstrom (born 1970) is the author of the bestseller Buyology - Truth and Lies About Why We Buy (Doubleday Business, division of Random House). Lindstrom is also a public speaker and the founder of a number of organizations including Buyology Inc. Prior to founding his consultancy, Lindstrom was working as an advertising agency executive at BBDO. TIME magazine named Lindstrom as one of the...more
More about Martin Lindstrom...
Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire Brandwashed Brandchild: Remarkable Insights Into the Minds of Today's Global Kids & Their Relationships with Brands BRAND sense: Sensory Secrets Behind the Stuff We Buy Clicks, Bricks & Brands