Start by marking “Everyone She Loved: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Everyone She Loved: A Novel

Everyone She Loved: A Novel

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A wise and triumphant novel about four women who’ve come of age together only to discover that—when it comes to the essentials—life’s little instruction book will always need revising.

Penelope Cameron has convinced her husband and four closest friends to sign an outlandish pact. If she should die before her two daughters are eightee
Unknown Binding, 432 pages
Published March 16th 2010 by Washington Square Press (first published May 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Everyone She Loved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyone She Loved

Susan
Way too much going on - I never could get those other two friends straight. Lots of ideas that went nowhere. Wanted to scream at the whole mis-understanding between Lucy and Joey. The ending was just too random. I didn't hate it but it didn't do much for me either.
Colleen
I had expected to enjoy this book- the premise was interesting and I thought the book would be a fun read. Unfortunately, any fun was sucked out by the overly-complicated and ridiculous plot, and the completely unsympathetic cast of characters. At one point I thought the book might drift far enough into absurdity to become a farce, but it never quite hit the satirical note required to pump it up to that level. The only people in the book that evoked any emotional response other than irritation w ...more
Andrea
There are some books that I read a chapter here and a chapter there and take me forever to read. This was one of those books. I never got into it. At all. But I make myself finish every book I start, so here I am.

There were too many sub-plots. Way too many. Death and cheating and lesbianism and obesity and anorexia and bulimia. Add it crazy characters, none of which I liked, and it didn't make for such a great read. Okay, I take that back. I kinda liked the two kids although its really more tha
Jenn
I'll just say that the jacket cover made this book sound a whole lot more interesting/entertaining than it really was.

The story just annoyed me as I got further and further through it. I think I enjoyed reading about the children, Tessa and June, more. The whole situation with Joey and Lisa was ridiculous, yet sadly could be non-fiction since there are people out there in the world who don't ever bother to listen to each other.

Overall a disappointing read.
Amy
Ugh! I really tried! This book is horrible and I can't get into it! I am so glad I borrowed it from the library so I can return it. I can't relate to the characters and the plot is going nowhere.

I will still have lots of coffee for all of my book club friends, but can't bring myself to read it. Too many great books in the world :)
Amy
May 18, 2010 Amy marked it as tried-it-and-gave-up  ·  review of another edition
Another one where I got so bored with it that I flipped to the end to read the resolution and called it a day.

The plot relies far too much on people misunderstanding one another. Like in a sitcom. "Wait, what were YOU talking about?" "No, what were YOU talking about?"
Virginia Hess
Gentle laughter, the voice of the author...about a woman who died and leaves 2 daughters, three friends, a husband, millions of dollars and a codicil to her will requiring her friends to pass judgment on anyone he remarries.
Peggy Clayton
stopped reading after 1/2 way couldn't or didn't get into it not sure this hasnt happened in a really long time where i started a book and didnt like it wow
Liana Qissy Cat
It started off fine. Then got a bit draggy towards the middle. At which,I was not in the mood to read it as it became ANNOYING. :(
Sierra Lawrence
This book is painful to read. The storyline had amazing potential...but the writing was awful
Ranger Curran
Jul 01, 2009 Ranger Curran rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Great read. Characters come alive and very intersting plot. Very entertaining.
Karen
LOved it! Everything you want in a novel: wise, touching, warm and funny.
Samantha
Really interesting characters!!
Beth Peninger
I picked this one up at the library on a whim and am glad I did! I haven't read Curran's books before but after this one am looking to read others.
Penelope has a group of friends that, along with her husband, she talked into signing a legal document stating that if she died then the friends had to approve of any woman her husband wanted to marry and choose to become a mother to their children. Thinking it would never happen the husband and the friends sign it and it is a legally binding documen
Mer929
ok, I scrolled through some other reviews to make sure this was not going to be too harsh. I did find some redeeming aspects to this book. I picked it up because I noticed it twice at my local library. I thought it was funny the cover would attract me twice, so I tried it.

I did not find the characters nearly as awful as some of the other reviewers. But they were also not "inspirational" or "loveable" as some described them. But the characters were not my real problem with this book. The premise
Sandie
For readers who have an appetite for books about individuals who come from dysfunctional families or have suffered through what might be termed emotionally damaging experiences in their youth and have never quite "gotten over it", EVERYONE SHE LOVED will fill up their senses like a seven course meal. For others who like a little less drama and a lot more laughter and lightness in their summer reads, my advice would be to steer clear of this offering.

Author Curran has created six women with back
I had a hard time with this book. The premise is interesting. A man, married to Penelope, the heiress to a large fortune, is convinced to sign a codicil to her will that he will seek the approval of her four best friends before re-marrying in the even of her untimely death. Obviously the drama and conflict possible in such a situation is immeasurable.
A lot of time is spent introducing each friend, describing her connection to the family and her life/marriage/relationship with Penelope. Of course
Lynne
This book was okay. It took me awhile to get into it. I almost put it down after 50 pages, something would suck me in, I would continue reading, hate it for another paragraph or two, get sucked in again, and so on and so forth throughout the whole book.

Would I recommend it? No.

To jog my memory of what the book was about:

A lady named Penelope dies (is murdered), and she had a will that said her friends had to approve of the woman her husband will marry. Her husband hooks up with a young dance tea
Lauriej
Didn't enjoy this book very much. I also read this authors 'Diana Lively is Falling Down' and I at least enjoyed that one for the first 200 pages. The rest just dragged on and on. I also can't stand when an author has agendas that she can't shut up about. Wait...amend that to- I can't stand when the author has agendas that I don't agree with and won't shut up about ;-) I guess that's my fault for not putting the book down before the final pages.

As my good friend Cynthia would say-

'Meh'
Bea
I just couldn't get interested in this book. I read through 122 pages and put it down to read some other books and can't bring myself to pick it up again. I had just finished a couple of books by Elizabeth Strout and Joanna Hershon whose characters are so believable you really connect with them, and this book was just boring in comparison.
Jen
I absolutely loved this book, so I was surprised to see so many bad reviews. The whole premise of a father an his two daughters recovering from the death of their mother with the help of her friends was touching. I really enjoyed all the complex relationships in the book and finding out how everything turns out in the end.
Larry Dorfman
A great book about relationships among friends, familys and even intruders. Curran creates vivid reality in her characters, allowing them to be almost overly human. We can identify with them, right down to the point at which it hurts. Both this and Diana Lively Is Falling Down are great books.
Stacey Hewitt tomblin
I found this to be hard to read. I didn't find it to be good till three quarters in the book. The author uses a big vocabulary through out the book, which is ok for some People but it did not keep my attention. I only kept reading it to find out how the kids turn out.
Sep 26, 2010 Jennifer added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I did not like this one at all. I felt like I was constantly in turmoil. The author did all kinds of building up and then wrapped it all up in a couple pages. There was only one character I was pulling for though the book and even she got on my nerves.
Pat
Fun to read a book by a local author. It was an interesting premise -- a page-turner. A bit predictable especially towards the end, but I must admit I couldn't put it down waiting for the resolution!
Brenda
I could not finish this book - it was overkill on descriptive things - at least for me. I liked the idea of the storyline/plot but I just couldn't plow through this book.
Ashley
I wanted a good "beach" read and that's exactly what this was. Nothing more, nothing less. It was quick and easy, a decent plot, etc. but no literary value to it.
Maquel
It gets a little risque, so if you're used to reading solely Work and the Glory, you may want to skip this one. I liked it, though.
Lisa
Very predictable and formulaic,a lot of "conveniences". I wasn't a fan.... like a made for tv movie in book format.
  • The Sign for Drowning
  • The Truth About Delilah Blue
  • Greetings from Somewhere Else
  • My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters
  • The Stepmother
  • What The Heart Wants (Angel Ridge, #3)
Author of Diana Lively is Falling Down, a comedy of manners set somewhere between the London Bridge and the Marriage From Hell.
Sheila's second novel, EVERYONE SHE LOVED,is about four women who band together to protect their late benefactor's husband and children from interfering relatives, legal entanglements and the alluring certainties of one perfect stranger. The novel was published June 16, 20
More about Sheila Curran...
Diana Lively is Falling Down Working with Young People (Published in association with The Open University) Smart Moves for Liberal Arts Grads: Finding a Path to Your Perfect Career Leading Work with Young People