Debtor's Planet

Debtor's Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When a Vulcan space probe reports that the Ferengi are advancing the people of the planet Megara from a primitive agricultural state to a sophisticated technological society, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the "Starship Enterprise"(TM) are ordered to transport an unlikely passenger to the system, a ruthless twentieth-century businessman who is now a Federation ambassador. The...more
Unbound, 0 pages
Published September 22nd 2000 by Pocket Books (first published April 1st 1994)

Chloe
I got a big kick out of this book. It's an easy, light-hearted read -- I read it in the tub in just a few nights and it was so fun, I ended up in the tub a lot longer than I meant to! Unlike some books in this series, which can be more novel-ish, this book totally has a ST:TNG episode vibe, the author really nailed it. It's got some serious parts, some fight scenes, and some funny scenes that I really enjoyed.
One of my favourite parts was when Geordie and Alexander were exchanging 'racist' ligh...more
Abbe
Product Description

When a Vulcan space probe reports that the Ferengi are advancing the people of the planet Megara from a primitive agricultural state to a sophisticated technological society, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Starship EnterpriseTM are ordered to transport an unlikely passenger to the system, a ruthless twentieth-century businessman who is now a Federation ambassador.

The Ferengi have been changing Megaran culture, turning a hard working and horoable people into vicious xenopho

Weavre
It was good--like many Star Trek novels, this was a quick read more or less on par with watching an episode on TV. In other words, it was entertaining and pleasant, maybe even something the reader would like to see through to the end without undue interruption, but nothing life-changing.

Besides, I wanted to hide in a bit of fiction, and the library's closed on Sundays, so I pulled it out to reread last night. Can't we pleeeeasssse restore real, healthy funding to our libraries? If Osterhout had...more
Clait
A really good TNG novel involving a world enslaved by the Ferengi at the behest of a mysterious foe. The story is pretty balanced between the main characters and though it contains a significant Wesley subplot, he isn't annoying. One of the cryogenically frozen 20th century survivors from the first season TNG episode "The Neutral Zone" returns as an ambassador with amusing results. A new female crew member named Shrev of the fascinating Zhuik species (bee-like humanoids) was probably my favorite...more
K
Not great, but not awful. Predictable and way too many uses of 20th century references. Also detected some cross sci-fi mojo with the creatures talking like yoda….3.5/5
Angela
The ferengi's are up to something and an unusual ambassador is sent to deal with them. Kind of a sequel to a tv episode because the ambassador is the money obsessed 20th century person they rescued, it helps him understand the ferengi. A good read, oh and Wesley is in it a lot.
Valerie Curtis
I was wonderfully surprised that I really liked this book! The characters all fell into place and you got to know Worf a little. This is book #30 in the series.
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Kidd Jackson
Kidd Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Siv Irene
Siv Irene marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Carla Aparo
Carla Aparo marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Brian Brooks
Brian Brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jesse Athey
Jesse Athey marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
  • Balance of Power (Star Trek: The Next Generation #33)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
  • Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation #27)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #32)
  • The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #12)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
Infiltrator (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #42) Sideshow Star Trek: The Next Generation: Debtor's Planet Analog Science Fiction and Fact, March 1985 (Vol Cv, #3) Analog Science Fiction and Fact, March 1990