Start by marking “Made in America: The Most Dominant Champion in UFC History” as Want to Read:
Made in America: The Most Dominant Champion in UFC History

Made in America: The Most Dominant Champion in UFC History

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  25 reviews
If you know anything at all about mixed martial arts and the UFC, then you know the name Matt Hughes. With devastating slams and ground-and-pound -- and nine championship belts to his credit -- Matt is the most dominant fighter in UFC history.

Matt was raised with his twin brother on a family farm in small-town Hillsboro, Illinois. Behind the postcard-perfect fields of co
Published January 6th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Made in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made in America

Kevin
Mar 01, 2008 Kevin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: MMA Fans ...
First, let's deal with the hype of the book's immodest subtitle. "The Most Champion in UFC History"?? Uh .... well, there is a guy named Randy Couture and his following who may have something it to say about that. When their respective careers have ended, there is little doubt that - as great as Matt Hughes was - Couture's legacy will overshadow that of the dude from Hillsboro.

At his peak, Matt Hughes was a "monster," in the best MMA sense of the word - a one-man wrecking crew who elevated the "
Goran Powell
‘Made in America’ is a bit of a contradiction. The writing is good, tight and clear – Matt is honest about himself and his relationships with his twin brother, his parents and his girlfriend (and later wife) – but there’s something missing. If this were a novel, you might say it’s difficult to relate to the hero.

In his early years, Matt comes across as an obnoxious hardass and proud of it; and even later in the book when he discovers Christ and tries to ‘be nice’, he still struggles.

The book is
Colin
UFC Series Rank: 3/3. (I wish I could go lower.)

I figured why not delve into the topic of UFC fighter biographies. Deep down I believed that maybe a UFC fighters could tell a better story of his life than a blog, magazine, etc. Listen to the words emanating from the mouth of the horse. Plus how the story was told could reveal some insight into the man behind the fist. I lined up the biographies of Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, and Jens Pulver.

For no particular reason other than book availability
Amanda
Matt Hughes kicks ass!

Okay, so the funniest part of the book is when Hughes goes over to a girl's (who later becomes his wife) house and they sit talking for a bit and then decide to "go upstairs." They go up to her bedroom and then he asks the question that apparently sets the mood for a romantic rendezvous:

"What's your favorite color?"

(Classy!)

She replies: "Green."

Then he says, "Mine too."

And then they get it on.

Wow. WOW. I mean, first of all, who asks somebody what their favorite color is?!?!
Ellis
Matt, Matt, Matt... Like the Chuck Liddell book that I read, this book was also not masterfully-written, but unlike the Chuck Liddell book, this book didn't have the positive qualities that make an MMA maniac, like myself, fall in love with it. Matt tended to focus much more on his personal life (which really made me like this book less) and passed over his fights with fairly light coverage.

It's true that I felt kind of addicted to the book, but most of the time I read it I was thinking that Ma
Justin Sylvia
I had a feeling that when i bought this book and boy was i right. You wouldn't think that coming from a small town like Hillsboro, IL that Matt Hughes would be as dominant as a champion as he has been, but you would ultimately be...WRONG!! In some of the chapters where he discusses and talks about some of his fights, often times blow by blow it seems like he far out matches his opponents in skill level and also in speed as well. Either way this guy can get it done and take care of business in th ...more
Alex
I nearly stopped reading this book because I could barely get through the horrible beginning. The writing was very bland and uninteresting, and seemed to jump around with little build. Thankfully, I skipped ahead to where he starts getting into MMA with Pat Militech and it picks up from there in both content and in style, although there are lots of long-winded personal diatribes I found very uninteresting. It's biggest appeal is to see the MMA world from Hughes' perspective, although a lot of it ...more
Kristi
This book was picked for me by someone to read. I would not have picked it up but it took me out of my usual genre.

The main thing I can say about it, was that it was ok. As you probably figured it was about the boyhood and life of Matt Hughes. I enjoyed reading about his everyday life because we tend to forget that people are people. The thing I had the most problem with this book, was the sort of ramblings of situations. What I mean is that we would get a small piece of situations. It was extr
Chris Harrison
Have to say I don't think this book does Matt Hughes any favours. I thought the book was difficult to follow as it seemed to jump from one incident to another without any explanation as to what was going and when. I've always likes Hughes as a fighter but I think he comes across on tv when not fighting and especially in this book as a bit of a dick. From the way he initially treated Tim Sylvia and especially when he talks about being invited to Joe Riggs house not long after beating him and intr ...more
Joshua Stein
Before I had opened the book, I had damned it peripherally for a subtitle that is terribly dishonest. As a long time MMA fan and an analyst of the sport, I found it unfair that Matt Hughes should feel any right to claim his post as the most dominant champion in history, as his title reign was interrupted by BJ Penn in 2004, which would insinuate that Frank Shamrock and Tito Ortiz, the fighters with similar numbers of victories and no interruptions would have the right to claim that title.

That sa
Jon
This is it. The one and only. Out of a pool of thousands, this is literally the worst book I've ever read in my life.

If you've ever wondered what it was like to get inside the head of an egotistical bully with the intellect of a mentally challenged 4th grader, then you should read this book. You'll revel in Matt Hughes' joyful mutilation of farm animals, bullying of lesser athletes, public urination, wanton drunkeness, and general stupidity as he bumbles his way through life. And worst of all is
Jason Wampner
matt hughes was one of the first fighters that got the average mma fan into the ufc. with his elite wrestling skills and superioir ground and pound this ufc champion brings the reader into his world from a wrestler at eiu to a ufc champion this ride to greatness is a great one.
Brett Starr
The writing isn't perfect, right, that means that the words are straight from Matt, not some notetaking editor.

I'm a hardcore UFC fan and I've seen Matt win and I have seen Matt get totally dominated, never has he been disrespectful to an opponent. He earned his place in the UFC and reigned as champion, his glory days are over, but he will "DEFINITELY" be in the UFC Hall of Fame.

It's Matt's life, his story, the ups and downs, the road to the UFC and his personal life. The book is very entertai
Douglas
The book was OK.

Matt Hughes is a talented fighter. I read Chuck Liddel's biography and Chuck had to overcome a lot more physical obstacles to become good at MMA.

The pacing of the bio was kinda medium-slow. If your not a Matt Hughes fan, you may get a little sluggish about getting through the book.

Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddel both speak very highly of Randy Couture. I think Coutoure and Silva would be the last MMA Biographies, I'd want to read.
Benjamin Siess
This book confirmed what I already suspected: Matt Hughes is a prick.

Amongst the many examples of being unabashedly rude to people, there is the time where Randy Couture left his wife and Hughes had to forgive him for it. What? Why? How is that any of his business? Why is this in a book about his fighting career?

Matt Hughes is a judgmental asshat. Good fighter, though.
Mark Sequeira
Read Matt Hughes book, now reading Chuck Liddell's ICEMAN, and read A FIGHTER'S HEART before that...Next up, Blood In The Cage by Jon Wertheim of course everyone's got a book deal,...Forrest Griffin, Matt Lindland, Randy Couture, Jens Pulver, B.J. Penn, Tito Ortiz,...okay, I'm probably not THAT interested...and I'm a fan!
Chris
If you like Matt Hughes, don't read this book. He comes off as a simple minded, self absorbed idiot. The book is poorly written. I did not expect much when I picked up the book at the library.
No Remorse
This was a good read, but the quality of the book was very cheaply made and all the pages fell out. Going to have to buy a new copy just for collection purposes.
Gregory
Sep 03, 2008 Gregory marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
An amazing fighter, and amazing wrestler and an all around great American.
Matt Hughes is living proof that "A Country Boy CAN Survive"..
Jose
Great Warrior spirit from growing up on the farm to owning atv's to expesive cars and becoming champion.
Kiedra
I love Matt Hughes, but this book was poorly written and didn't get you too 'inside' Hughes.
Dylan Harrison
this book is awsome it has alot of action and alot of peoples story haha
Kyle
guilty pleasure...you'd have to have some knowledge of the sport.
Ted
Interesting but not particularly well written.
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Apollo
Apollo marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
  • Iceman: My Fighting Life
  • Becoming the Natural: My Life In and Out of the Cage
  • Why I Fight: The Belt Is Just an Accessory
  • A Fighter's Heart: One Man's Journey Through the World of Fighting
  • The Voice of Reason: A V.I.P. Pass to Enlightenment
  • The Big Fight: My Life In and Out of the Ring
  • Blood in the Cage: Mixed Martial Arts, Pat Miletich, and the Furious Rise of the UFC
  • Got Fight?: The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-Face Combat
  • This is Gonna Hurt
  • Controversy Creates Cash
  • Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick
  • Dispensation of Death (Knights Templar, #23)
  • Straight from the Heart
  • Keeping Faith: A Father-Son Story About Love and the United States Marine Corps
  • Dream Mender: Dream Mender\Stay...
  • Connecting Church, The
  • Ultimate Spy Book
  • Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World
Downshift Old Growth Metamorphosis A Year at Sea: Sailing Solo Around the North Atlantic Paroxysm