Start by marking “Speed of Trust - Live From LA, The” as Want to Read:
Speed of Trust - Live From LA, The

Speed of Trust - Live From LA, The

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  13,607 Ratings  ·  425 Reviews
In this powerful new audio book, Stephen M.R. Covey articulates why trust has become the key leadership competency of the new global economy. Covey convincingly makes the case that trust is a measurable accelerator to performance and that when trust goes up, speed also goes up while cost comes down, producing what Covey calls a "trust dividend." Covey reveals the 13 ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 3 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by Franklin Covey (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Speed of Trust - Live From LA, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speed of Trust - Live From LA, The

Janet
Stephen M.R. Covey, the son, was head of training for his father's company.

The book is needlessly long and I didn't need to be sold on the value of trust (which is why the book is so long), hence, why the 3 star rating. Long sections of the book are very general and boring and I kept thinking how the book could have been netted down. I recommend the book, recommend skimming the boring examples and felt that along with the Economics of Trust, all that a reader needs on the important subject of t
Tim
Sep 08, 2009 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The bulk of this short book might be characterized as "moral philosophy 101." It will be informative for moral imbeciles and those (many, by the measure of apparent business ethics) who don't believe that personal and business ethics have any connection. It's a basic outline of how to extend and create trust, and how to reciprocate when you receive it. Formulaic pop psychology.

The value of the book for me was in the first chapter. It makes the case for trust as a business value, that high trust
Jacob
Jul 22, 2008 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
This phenomenal book has been out less than a year but I thought it just as good if not a better read than 7 Habits written by his father. This book so perfectly describes trust, breaks it down and shows how relevant it is in business, home, and all other arenas of life.
Ryan Dejonghe
Mar 10, 2014 Ryan Dejonghe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was distributed at work like candy at a Halloween party. New buzz words were written on the board and everyone was trust falling one another. The problem still remains: there’s more falling than trusting.

I enjoyed the first chapter and agree with the author’s sentiments: as trust improves, cost goes down and speed increases. I believe in Covey’s see, speak, behave architecture. The problem begins when Covey stretches the first chapter into over three hundred pages based on an analogy t
K.D. Absolutely
May 04, 2009 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My former boss
Shelves: business
This book makes a lot of common sense. Productivity in the workplace is indeed based on trust. If you are not trusted by your boss, he will check or will let your colleague check your work. However, the book did not talk much about how to re-gain trust which can easily be lost in the day-to-day office environment. Everyone starts with a clean slate with favorable (that’s why we are hired in the first place) trust index. However, even if we always work diligently, there will always come a time ...more
Carlo
Oct 06, 2011 Carlo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
In The Speed of Trust, Stephen M. R. Covey (son of renowned author Stephen R. Covey (The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People)), delves into the mechanics of trust, an element, which in spite the attention we think ourselves giving it, remains to a great extend underestimated. According to Covey, trust is the keystone for every relationship in our lives, including our relationship with ourselves.

The author does a great job in showing that trust is something we can recover. I believe this to
Craig
In the last few weeks, I've been traveling quite a lot—Brazil, Macedonia, Serbia, and throughout the U.S. Since I have a ritual that involves reading on planes, I've been able to get through a few books I've been hearing quite a bit about. The three I want to tell you about here, are all amazing. If you saw my copies, you'd see dog-eared pages, underlining, exclamation points and question marks in the margins. I really had no idea how much I'd be affected by each one, and completely surprised by ...more
Gabriela
Aug 06, 2012 Gabriela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
According to Stephen M.R. Covey, the new economy is looking for businesses and individuals who can practice the virtue of trust. The Speed of Trust shows the importance of trust and how the rate at which it is built can help businesses win over clients and employees too. The book proposes that establishing trust is essential to creating high performing companies.

Gone are the days when companies would be secretive, make bad decisions and get away with it. Today's economy is increasingly becoming
Ruth Hinds
Feb 23, 2013 Ruth Hinds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! It explains what TRUST actually is- what it is made up of. It helps you understand why you do or do not trust someone. It also teaches how to extend "smart trust" to others, and make yourself more trustworthy so others can trust you. Everything is broken down so clearly and there are so many action items so you can apply what you are learning right away! One of my favorite books I've read! And I wasn't expecting that.
Tony Jr.
Jan 16, 2016 Tony Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book that I believe everyone, not just business leaders should read. As the title suggests, this book is about trust: what it is, how its built and why it matters in business and in life. I actually came to this book a bit skeptical and didn't expect to learn much. The author met and exceeded my expectations to say the least. You definitely want to add this one to your library.

Tony Rogers Jr
Author of Visionary: Making a difference in a world that needs YOU
Rickey
My concern with this book revolves around the following question.

Will we truly benefit from ethics that are adopted merely for the sake of building trust in order to increase speed and reduce cost?
مساعد
Oct 08, 2016 مساعد rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من نوادر الكتب ، التي أصنفها بخمس نجوم

كتاب رائع مُلهِم في الادارة بل و حتى في الحياة العامة و العائلية

استطاع الكاتب ان يقدّم وصفة منطقية ، لزيادة الانتاجية و خفض التكاليف ، و زيادة الشعور بالسعادة..... إنها الثقة

بل استطاع الكاتب ان يفرّق بين الثقة المطلقة و الثقة المعقولة

و كيف تتجازو موضوع الارتياب من وضع الثقة في بعض الافراد ، و مد جسور التواصل

عليكم بإقتناء الكتاب

تحياتي

مساعد
Deborah
Dec 27, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stoos, swashbooked
Swashbooked, 10 minutes + discussion, Christmas 2012, with @ipreuss.

Why I picked it: I heard about it from a respected colleague, and I would like to recommend it to clients dealing with toxic work environments.

Notes:

Format: paperback, impossible to lay flat to read hands-free.

Chapter: Nothing is as Fast as the Speed of Trust
"Contrary to... we CAN increase trust, and faster than we think"
Trust = confidence. Opposite, distrust = suspicion.

Sections: Self-trust, Relationship-trust, Stakeholder-tr
Kelly
Jun 20, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of the lamest books I've ever read mostly because I can see corporations across America eating it up. I'm reading it for a Leadership Training class at present. The "CORE" argument of of the book is that one must increase trust with others in order to make relationships and work efficient and cost effective. I bet this book is handed out for free to employees businesses like it so much.

Ultimately, the book reads like a tea party opus. The book has some silly statements that r
Greg
Aug 12, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The message this book brings is outstanding! Covey identifies and discusses four core elements of trust -- integrity, intent, capabilities, and results. In some sense, he has simply redefined trust from what others have said about it. While I don't necessarily disagree, it is to some extent a matter of semantics. From that discussion of the core of trust, though, he moves into a very useful and relevant discussion and justification of 13 behaviors that create or sustain trust. Moving on, Covey ...more
Chuck
Mar 05, 2016 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful book. Obviously geared to business it still works well in non-profit situations. I read it as a board member for a non-profit Christian organization in mind. 4 core values and 13 behaviors listed. Insightful and on target. The concept of extending trust, smart trust, rebuilding trust and the propensity to trust are deeply insightful.

Plenty of good stories that helpfully illustrate the concepts. There's an edition called "summary". Wish I knew how good it was. Might be a good recom
Jorge Rosas
Jul 26, 2016 Jorge Rosas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a mandatory book, but I´m grateful I could read it. I had to stop every twenty pages because of a good book recommendation thing that I loved, this book teaches us how to create and use the trust factor as a lubricant and catalyzer for our personal and professional relationships, how to create it, win it and develop it, containing some very useful examples and applications. The “speed of trust” is visible in advantages / dividends against taxes in cost, time and adaptation. I liked this ...more
Josh Steimle
Oct 06, 2015 Josh Steimle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't let it throw you off that this was written by Stephen R. Covey's son--it's a great book. He's not just riding his father's coattails, unless it is that he's following in his footsteps and doing a good job of it.

There are some valuable lessons in here for business, and everywhere else you have relationships. Especially the core point that where there is trust, things move faster. That's a competitive advantage for businesses. Businesses that foster the practices that engender trust will win
Dec 29, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the abridged version in preparation for a team development workshop. In that context, I found it beneficial in that members of our team were able to speak a common language about deficiencies in areas that can be challenging to discuss. For example, we could acknowledge a need to focus more on behaviors that strengthen our integrity, without seeming like we were accusing each other of being soulless jerks. It provides a tidy blueprint for addressing abstract soft skills.
May
Nov 29, 2011 May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and actually began quoting it before I even finished reading it. Covey just has a way of articulating things that is so completely clear.

I think the role of competency hit home. The problem in a lot of large organization is the wrong mix of competency and soft skills. Ego comes into play and suddenly communication is completely and utterly broken. Great read.
Anthony Tenaglier
Never truly saw the importance of building trust "fast" in our everyday relationships as being the variable that gets better results. I was always taught trust was to be built slowly. But actually that costs you a lot according to Covey's formula! Take your time reading it, but put to action quickly the great techniques.
Tim Z
May 03, 2012 Tim Z rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read in a long time.I only wish I would have read it prior to my last tour on the Theodore Roosevelt. Great quote from the book.

It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
~Roy Disney
Jason
Jul 21, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was an excellent book, I would almost put it ahead of his father's classic "7 Habits".
Boyd Petersen
Jan 29, 2015 Boyd Petersen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read about earning the trust of you prospective and current customers. This is a good read for the younger generation that hasn't learned how to earn trust.
Shawnie
Dec 19, 2015 Shawnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, non-fiction
Read for my work book club. I found many pieces here that I can put to use at work and at home in personal relationships.
Robin Templin
Jul 11, 2013 Robin Templin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
life changer
top ten contender
Omar Halabieh
Aug 17, 2013 Omar Halabieh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "In fact, both my personal life and my work as a business practitioner over the past 20 years have convinced me that there is a lot we can do about it. We can increase trust—much faster than we might think—and doing so will have a huge impact, both in the quality of our lives and in the results we're able to achieve."

2- "Simply put, trust means confidence. The opposite of trust—distrust— is suspicion. When you trust peo
Julio Cesar Nino
Nov 28, 2016 Julio Cesar Nino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thirteen behaviours

I am convinced that trust can be restore in many of my family members. This book has helped me to take the right steps to do so with love and respect.
Thank you for also teaching me leadership behaviours that I really desire as a dad and in my personal. life
Stacey
Nov 17, 2016 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for anyone. Sold as a business book, one would be hard pressed to not learn something about his/her self. It pinpoints your own weaknesses, and gives solid answers on how to improve your own speed of trust. This should be a must read for anyone in the work force and parents can get something from it too.
John O'haver
"Talk Straight" should be applied to writing. Did he need 300+ pages?
Great value in the 4 core values and 13 behaviors. This book is worth reading but prepare to skim
To read 4 11 Feb 09, 2015 05:31PM
Business-Related ...: Book #2 The Speed of Trust by Stephen Covey 3 8 Nov 20, 2014 08:03PM
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Resolved Primer: A Look Into The 13 Resolutions
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • The Future of Management
  • How The Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results Through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Silos, Politics, and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable about Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • Gung Ho!
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
20379
Stephen M. R. Covey is co-founder and CEO of CoveyLink Worldwide. A sought-after and compelling keynote speaker and advisor on trust, leadership, ethics, and high performance, he speaks to audiences around the world. He is the author of The SPEED of Trust, a groundbreaking and paradigm-shifting book that challenges our age-old assumption that trust is merely a soft, social virtue and instead ...more
More about Stephen M.R. Covey...

“We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behaviour.” 159 likes
“The first job of a leader—at work or at home—is to inspire trust. It’s to bring out the best in people by entrusting them with meaningful stewardships, and to create an environment in which high-trust interaction inspires creativity and possibility.” 21 likes