Start by marking “Teseo: El rey debe morir/El toro del mar ” as Want to Read:
Teseo: El rey debe morir/El toro del mar

Teseo: El rey debe morir/El toro del mar (Theseus #1-2)

Publicada anteriormente en dos volúmenes independientes (El rey debe morir y Teseo, rey de Atenas), Mary Renault convierte en una magnífica novela una de las historias más emocionantes, maravillosas y sorprendentes de la Antigüedad clásica: El mito de Teseo.
Fundador de la dinastía ateniense, reformador religioso, gran navegante y hasta pirata, a Teseo también se le atribuy
Published December 2007 by Edhasa (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Teseo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teseo

Sam Nicholson
Dec 17, 2014 Sam Nicholson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought Steven Pressfield's "Gates of Fire" was brilliant; this is perhaps even better - the characters are richer and more multi-layered - and a must read if you enjoy this type of historical re-telling. Incredible imagery and wonderful story-telling.
DaViD´82
Jan 30, 2014 DaViD´82 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Řecká báje z vůbec nejslovutnějších zcela prosta nadpřirozena a pojata jako vyprávění "na stará kolena" z relativizujícího pohledu hlavního účastníka? Těžký to úděl si na sebe autorka ušila, ale zvládla to bez jakéhokoli přehánění nadčasově a dokonale; a to dokonce tak, že to funguje i pro neznalé "originálu". Ovšem samozřejmě platí, že čím lépe báji o Théseovi znáte, tím více to především v detailech oceníte.
Crystal
There were intermit times where I both loved and hated the book. Overall, I'd say I loved more than hated it. I really liked how she made the outlandish (to our time) customs of ancient greece seem plausable and even understandable. She took mythological beings that had evolved from people, and transformed them back into real people. That impressed me the most.
Bonnie Wilson
I have real problems with Renault, not least her misogyny, and also that she is absolutely besotted with her own heroes. Still, these two books are both a "good read." I am impressed by her use of sentence structure to convey an archaic tone to the dialogue.
Deborah Schuff
Sep 27, 2015 Deborah Schuff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
These two novels, published in 1958 and 1962, are a re-telling of the myths of Theseus written as his memoirs. Wonderfully adventurous and so enjoyable to read.
Albert Gomperts
Dec 03, 2012 Albert Gomperts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brings the Theseus myth to its sad conclusion. The Bull from the Sea has not got quite the same sparkle as the King Must Die.
Tchipakkan
May 20, 2015 Tchipakkan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best historical novels- formative in my growing years.
Margaret
Dec 20, 2010 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed these books, they are unique and exciting!
Pamela
Sep 30, 2009 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Just posted about these wonderful Mary Renault works at www.tor.com, here.
Petra
Aug 24, 2015 Petra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Úžasná kniha, od které jsem se nemohla odtrhnout. Krásně popsáno. Určitě se budu chtít podívat na Krétu :)
Dani
Jan 07, 2017 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read. Some of the phrases will stay with me for the rest of my life. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys Greek Mythology.
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Judie
Judie rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Judith
Judith rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
Penelope Matheson
Penelope Matheson rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
A.
A. rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Tamora Pierce
Tamora Pierce rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Katherine Lake
Katherine Lake rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Mark Richards
Mark Richards rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Neil Shelley
Neil Shelley rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Rayuela
Rayuela rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
Sharon Nash
Sharon Nash rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
Irene
Irene rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Cindy Lapeña
Cindy Lapeña rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Wjoppelt
Wjoppelt rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Deborah Swift
Deborah Swift rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2010
Ian Nascimento
Ian Nascimento rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2014
Artco77
Artco77 rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Bob Lundie
Bob Lundie rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • The Story of the Grail and the Passing of Arthur
  • The Warlord
  • Theatre of Curious Acts
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • Homer: Odyssey II, Books 13-24 (Loeb Classical Library, #105)
  • Murder at the God's Gate (Lord Meren, #2)
  • A Robin McKinley Collection: Spindle's End, The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword (Folktales #1-3)
  • The Third Man Factor: The Secret To Survival In Extreme Environments
  • Losers: The Road to Everyplace but the White House
  • The Golden Fleece
  • Te di la vida entera
  • Tripoint (The Company Wars, #6)
  • The Collected Poems
  • Summer, Harvest, War (The Wandering King, #1)
  • Gods, Demigods & Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology
  • Los Caprichos
  • Epic: Stories of Survival from the World's Highest Peaks
Mary Renault was an English writer best known for her historical novels set in Ancient Greece. In addition to vivid fictional portrayals of Theseus, Socrates, Plato and Alexander the Great, she wrote a non-fiction biography of Alexander.

Her historical novels are all set in ancient Greece. They include a pair of novels about the mythological hero Theseus and a trilogy about the career of Alexander
More about Mary Renault...

Theseus (2 books)
  • The King Must Die (Theseus, #1)
  • The Bull from the Sea (Theseus, #2)