Start by marking “For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Have you ever asked these questions? "Don't all Deaf people read lips?" "Is it OK to say 'deaf-mute' and 'deaf-and-dumb'?" "Do all deaf people benefit from hearing aids?" "What bothers a deaf person most about hearing people?" Here, in a handy question-and-answer format, are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about deaf people, their community, and their ...more
Published September 1st 1993 by Deaf Life Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about For Hearing People Only, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Hearing People Only

Maybe Someday by Colleen HooverArcher's Voice by Mia SheridanTall, Tatted and Tempting by Tammy FalknerThe Dry by Rebecca NolenJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Blind/Deaf/Mute
220th out of 313 books — 275 voters
Train Go Sorry by Leah Hager CohenThe Story of My Life by Helen KellerDeafening by Frances ItaniBurn Down the Ground by Kambri CrewsHands of My Father by Myron Uhlberg
Deafness
29th out of 62 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Marie
Mar 26, 2011 Marie rated it liked it
I've read this book one and a half times. The first time I took ASL in high school, we read certain chapters. At that time, I hated the book. Honestly, I was offended by a lot of the stereotypes the writer used in connection to hearing people.
The first time I read the entire book was a few years later, in my college ASL classes. It was not assigned reading, but I decided to take another crack at it.
The book is made up of chapters based on questions hearing people supposedly ask deaf people. Som
Rachel
Feb 09, 2008 Rachel rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-part-of
Lots of information. Wants editing.
skein
Aug 03, 2011 skein rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, 2011
The illustrations (by a Deaf artist) were clever and beautiful and evocative and sometimes flat-out hilarious. (The deaf man being approached by a thief? hahaha.)

The rest, well ... Most of it I already know; and bits made me cringe (it's an insult to deaf culture if a hearie learns sign? oh, please.)
The rest made me cringe in a different way. It's a strange and embarrassing experience to come up against a culture alien to your own, and to flounder there is, um, a bit humbling.

I'll note the book
Andrle
Jul 13, 2012 Andrle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good overview of supposedly frequently asked questions about deaf people. However, felt like it was a reprimand to hearing people and written for those who are far less culturally sensitive than I think I am. The book asks you to treat deaf people as human beings - not sure if I should be offended to think that because I can hear, I would automatically be tactless and rude?

Additionally, my version from the library was from the early 90s. It would be interesting to read a more current edit
Shannon
Jul 31, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Matthew Moore clearly has a distaste for Hearing people and shows this throughout the book. If you can get past the obvious prejudice then you will gain a good basis for Deaf culture.
Erin
May 20, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
A great intro to Deaf culture. Sure to clear up at least the *most* embarrassing things you never knew were the-wrong-thing-to-say.
Tina
Dec 21, 2010 Tina rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

The actual content in this book was interesting. Deaf culture is fascinating, certainly, but this book had an odd way of presenting information. Rather than covering topics in depth, For Hearing People Only glossed over issues that I would have liked to have seen explored. There were also texts and people mentioned in this book to support a claim, but the names and titles all get jumbled together because their role in Deaf culture is hardly explained, if at all. All in all, I gleaned s
Eric Lopez
Jan 24, 2016 Eric Lopez rated it really liked it
The information in this text was just amazing to learn. The authors could have done a better job writing, however. It seemed to be pretty dry.

I'd recommend this book for anybody interested in studying the deaf community.
Laurie
Jan 01, 2015 Laurie rated it really liked it
Very good for all the hearing people in my life, it will help them understand deafness a lot better. Easy to get through, good questions and answers.
Sep 06, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: humans
I read this during grad school, so it's been a while, but I remember liking it and learning some things from it.
Kansas
Oct 04, 2008 Kansas rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has ever had a question about a deaf person....
This book is great... Each chapter is an independent question that has actually been asked of the authors, by a well meaning hearing person, and most of these questions I have wondered myself! Some are a little absurd, such as "Is braille the written form of ASL?". But mostly they are very good questions. I have found it a good conversation starter and I run around asking my deaf friends if they agree and if they have had similar experiences. I'm going to buy a copy and send it to my parents! I ...more
Jane
Apr 11, 2009 Jane rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to learn about the deaf culture
Interesting book. Contains questions from hearing people addressed to Deaf people. Good insight provided about the Deaf culture. I did feel as though a lot of battering occurred regarding hearing people. Yes they did treat the deaf community inappropriately (and some still do unfortunately). However, there are many of us hearing people that want to communicate with the Deaf community because we find them to be intelligent and interesting people with a rich culture and beautiful language. I would ...more
Mary
Dec 13, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
I learned about the Deaf experience from the perspective of some Deaf people. All Deaf people are unique just as all Hearing people are unique, thus it is difficult to peg them all in the same hole. At first I was offended by some of the comments and statements in the book, but after reviewing the book a second time, I wasn't as offended. I felt that there were some gross generalizations about Hearing people that need to be addressed. Overall I felt very enlightened, and this book was very usefu ...more
Karen
Oct 17, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Each of the 60 chapters deals with a question that hearing people have had about the deaf or about Deaf culture. There is so much I didn't know -- and hadn't even thought of before this. The book covers everything from Deaf history (including the long period of suppression of American Sign Language) to Deaf attitudes about aspects of hearing culture. A very informative and helpful book.
Danielle Newhouse
I think this book was very informative. One thing I would love to see is a newer version. This talks about technology being expensive and out of reach for most.... Well today almost everyone has a cell phone and computer. Newer version would be AMAZING!!!
TerpTopics TerpTopics
May 31, 2009 TerpTopics TerpTopics rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hearing Persons
Recommended to TerpTopics by: Silent Social Attendee
Shelves: deaf-culture
This is the first Deaf Culture book we ever read, so it holds a special place in our heart. It was loaned to us by a woman we met at a mall Silent Social. We promptly devoured it! Our eyes were opened, and we have never looked back.
Jessica
Nov 22, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
If you deal with the deaf or are interested in the deaf community. This is a must read. Clearly and absolutely written for the hearing, this offers those of us who can hear a rare insight into another world.
Jacqueline115
Sep 17, 2007 Jacqueline115 rated it really liked it
Shelves: deaf-issues
Good for not just ASL students but for the general hearing population that want to be educated about Deaf people and the Deaf community.
Adriana
I'm very interested in ASL and Deaf culture and I'm currently taking it as part of my foreign language requirement at SJSU.
Ashley
Feb 01, 2009 Ashley marked it as to-read
Shelves: try-again-later
This book is great. There's so much no one ever thinks find out about the deaf community.... So much that we just assume...
Dec 09, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
A good book for anyone to read who has questions about American Sign Language or Deaf Culture.
Mar 28, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Very helpful insights into Deaf culture. Will be helpful for work with our new client.
Oct 30, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone curious about deaf culture
An excellent and clear introduction to Deaf culture; friendly and eminently readable.
Jd Powell
Feb 07, 2008 Jd Powell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know about deaf people
Recommended to Jd by: teacher
Shelves: deafness
This book tells me what it is like to be in a deaf culture.
Margaret Blomstrom
Oct 08, 2009 Margaret Blomstrom rated it liked it
a little dramatic at times, but overall very insightful.
Amanda
Jun 15, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Great insight into the Deaf community.
Allison
Jun 20, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT!
Rosa Salmeron
Rosa Salmeron marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Jenni Kay
Jenni Kay is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
  • Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture
  • The Mask of Benevolence: Disabling the Deaf Community
  • Random House Webster's American Sign Language Dictionary
  • Talking with Your Hands, Listening with Your Eyes: A Complete Photographic Guide to American Sign Language
  • Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World
  • American Sign Language Dictionary
  • The Joy of Signing: The Illustrated Guide for Mastering Sign Language and the Manual Alphabet
  • The Unheard: A Memoir of Deafness and Africa
  • Signing Naturally: Student Videotext and Workbook Level 1
  • A Place of Their Own: Creating the Deaf Community in America
  • Deaf Like Me
  • Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard
  • Talking Hands: What Sign Language Reveals about the Mind
  • Deaf Child Crossing (Deaf Child Crossing #1)
  • What's That Pig Outdoors?: A Memoir of Deafness