Start by marking “The Aquitaine Progression” as Want to Read:
The Aquitaine Progression

The Aquitaine Progression

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  11,096 ratings  ·  101 reviews
AQUITAINE MEANS MASSIVE BETRAYAL. AND EPIC BLOODSHED...
'Aquitaine' is the fearful symbol of a devastating new power. A power wielded by six warlord generals, lethally fanatic relics of the Second World War who are hellbent on world domination - whatever the cost.

Pitted against them and their deadly ambitions is lawyer Joel Converse, an initially unwilling adversary, a cool
Paperback, Special Overseas Edition, 847 pages
Published 1984 by Panther Books

To ask other readers questions about The Aquitaine Progression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aquitaine Progression

Mike Hernandez
Robert Ludlum, as you know, is a great author. I'd never heard of this book before picking it up, and it was surprisingly good. The plot was good and the writing kept you interested throughout, although the book reminded me a lot of the movie "National Treasure". Not so much in the storyline, but more in the suspension of disbelief that you must achieve to actually enjoy this novel. Some points I found myself saying, "puhhlllleeeeaaaase", but then again, I find almost all fiction books that way, ...more
Julius Gewarges
Joel Converse is a Lawyer who just happened to come across a conspiracy(Code name "Aquitaine") that involves retired generals from around the world and their dedicated soldiers that are aiming at world domination by means of chaos and world violence. In chaotic times, the military will be needed to control chaos and thats where the Generals come in and take over.one country at a time. While Joel is investigating this conspiracy, His cover gets blown and he is a living target by Aquitaine. This b ...more
Matt Crumpton
Okay so this is book number two on my Robert Ludlum kick I am on right now. I believe there are ten more books I have left to read. Anyway on with the review.

I really liked this novel. Its Ludlum so you have the action and suspense and the plot twists that are standard in his works. In Aquataine you have this organization wanting to take over the world...this is also very standard in a Ludlum work. However I have said it before and I will say it again...its fun and entertaining.

One thing that r
John
The Aquitaine Progression. DAMN YOU LUDLUM. Now the smuggness of fame and riches makes the loyal readers wait TWO YEARS between book. I can recall the trepidation of weeks leading up to release. Going to the locale COLES book store and ordering a copy.
Now its like release, buy, read, and start waiting for the next release two years ahead. I was able to start going back and devouring Ludlum's first novels.

The Aquitaine Progression the world domination by fucked up ex generals. Perfect for the wa
Velvetink
Interesting, fast paced, slightly on the paranoia side where x WW2 Generals try to takeover the world and a smart NY lawyer called Converse & some M15 agents save the day. Not totally unbelievable.
This was by far one of the worst novels I've ever read. The main character was not particularly likeable, the plot was not only excessively complicated but boring, and the "love story" was as dry as an overdone turkey. I've read cookbooks that were more engaging than this book.
For those of you who have started this monstrous tome and are now looking for encouragement to continue: stop. Get out now. The last 500 pages are as tedious as the first 100. I only finished it because I'm doing that 201
Mark
I read this when it was a fairly new best seller, back in 1984-5. It was the first action thriller I had ever read and I was blown away. Though I haven't read very many similar movies over the years, I was curious whether I would still feel the same way, given all the movies of similar style I have seen in the meantime, including several Ludlum films (the Bourne series). I enjoyed reading it the second time (remembering virtually nothing from the first reading), but as I suspected, the level of ...more
Michael
Another attempt at world domination. The World saved from the fanatical Generals by an ex-Vietnam hero and now world class lawyer Mr Converse, despite the fact he has a mental block where languages other than English are concerned and spends most of his time in Europe (not England). I'm sure it won't spoil the book to say that the world carries on and there is a happy ending, despite it happening at the very last minute. Great stuff.
Christian Orr
The late, great Robert Ludlum (R.I.P.) in his 1980s prime here. Fast-paced, loaded with tension, international intrigue, seemingly endless plot twists, and plenty of action (though not exactly the "non-stop action" that the reviewers for Publishers Weekly and Richmond Times-Dispatch claimed).

An international cabal of power-hungry generals (an extreme fictitious example of the "military-industrial complex" that Dwight David Eisenhower warned about?) plots to impose a global militaristic governmen
Fredrick Danysh
American lawyer Joel Converse meets a man who he hasn't seen in twenty years. When he is killed in Joel's presence, he whispers a cryptic warning as he dies.
Dennis Henn
Not nearly in the same class as the Bourne trilogy. Ludlum tells a good story of intrigue and for the first three hundred pages this was a thriller. But how many times can the conspiratorial bad guys catch our one-time Vietnam prisoner of war only to see him escape? To further extend my agony, or accelerate my page turning, Ludlum added good guys who required a recap of previous events. They might have needed such info. We, the readers, did not.
Fear not, despite the resources of five countries a
Todd
A little slow to start, but stay with it you'll be glad you did.
Iwan Sutisna
Bisa dibilang ini adalah Buku pertama Robert Ludlum yang bikin saya mulai melirik pengarang yang satu ini. Sekali lagi, Ludlum berhasil menebar jaring-jaring ketakutan di mata para pembacanya. Membaca novel ini, kita ikut merasakan ketegangan dan ketakutan yang selalu membayangi si tokoh utamanya di mana ia selalu berpikir bahwa mata musuhnya selalu ada di mana-mana.

Converse[namanya mirip merek sepatu:]adalah seorang pengacara sukses yang tiba-tiba saja karirnya berantakan setelah ia bertemu den
Kailash
A good book and a great plot. The only negative was that it is a lot longer than it should be. Ludlum is great with any story where the clandestine services are involved, and even though thats not precisely the case here, the hero could very well be an intelligence agent. Even if at times it tends to drag, on the whole this is a well-written and decently paced book.

A group of formerly highly-regarded but extremely right-wing generals from some of the west's biggest countries (US, UK, Germany, Fr
Bob Conner
Ludlum is an excellent writer if you want to be completely submerged into an intriguing suspense, not breathing again until it's finished. I have two authors I read consistently and Ludlum is my number one. His writing is always right on, and I can't imagine how he keeps coming up with such enthralling stories.
Brett
This was my first time reading Robert Ludlum, and it was something of a letdown. The Aquitaine Progression feels very much like any generic spy-thriller. I tried to put myself in the right mindset for it, allowing myself to just enjoy a fast moving action story, but this text makes it difficult.

The major problem is that at around 750 pages, this book is at least twice as long as it should be. The many rounds of run/capture/escape become repetitious pretty quickly, and the plot, while I did my be
Conina
Apurva Pendse
Impressive research and fast pacing.
However, the intricacies of the plot are a bit too much to handle. They wear you down. So much so that at the end of the book you tend to forget what exactly was the plotline when you started out.
Dan
An in depth international thriller, representative of Ludlum's style. Lots of character development, many twists and turns. Only criticism is a bit of repetition of plot lines. Didn't take away from overall enjoyment, however.
Linda
The book is too long, the story is far-fetched, there are a lot
of very lucky coincidences, that said, the characters are believable, and sympathetic, the story is exciting, and I raced through the
book! It is somewhat surprising to me how dated a book like this is
now, the story could not possibly happen in the days of fast computers,
satellite phones, security checks, etc. It is kind of scary how far
we have come toward the future foretold in this book.
Craig
This book firmly falls into the thriller / suspense category. Some folks will recognize this author's work from the trilogy of movies starring Matt Damon, where Damon played the character Jason Bourne.

Like many Ludlum novels, the main action sets an American battling intrigue throughout Europe. There is plenty of plot line to this story, surpassing Vince Flynn's "The Third Option" in that regard by a long distance. I still put Ludlum at least into the same conversation as approaching the quality
Buckeye_reader
Whew - took a while to plow through this! 650 pages in the hardback. Not a bad story line - very descriptive and drawn out. It did keep moving though.
Billy Maise
This was the first Ludlum book I read after the Bourne series. The very beginning was hard to understand, but once I got into the story things started to pick up. It's your basic spy adventure: a guy discovers a big evil conspiracy and then the conspirators try to kill him. But the plot was well-handled where it could have easily been clunky. It had a lot of talking and scheming and not that much action. I didn't mind that too much, though. Not every protagonist in a Ludlum book can be as deadly ...more
Al
It begins in Geneva. There American lawyer Joel Converse meets a man he hasn't seen in twenty years, a covert operative who dies violently at his feet, whispering words that hand Converse a staggering legacy of death: "The generals ... they're back ... Aquitaine!" Suddenly Converse is running for his life, alone with the world's most shattering secret. Pursued by anonymous executioners to the darkest corners of Europe, he is forced to play a game of survival by blood-rules he thought he'd long l ...more
Dale
Another great Robert Ludlum book. Tight plot, enjoyable read.
G.M.
I just enjoy reading Robert Ludlum's books!
Joanne Caldwell
I just love Ludlum novels. Always an intrigue.
William Laidlaw
Really good book. A literary classic.
Dustin
Read about 70%. Would have been a very good book I think but there was way too much extraneous cursing.
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • The Janson Command (Paul Janson, #2)
  • The Deceiver
  • Edge of Danger
  • Balance of Power (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #5)
  • The Last Frontier
  • Prelude to Terror
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Double Jeopardy (Tweed & Co. #1)
  • London Match (Bernard Samson, #3)
Robert Ludlum was the author of twenty-seven novels, each one a New York Times bestseller. There are more than 210 million of his books in print, and they have been translated into thirty-two languages. He is the author of The Scarlatti Inheritance, The Chancellor Manuscript, and the Jason Bourne series--The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum--among others. Mr. Ludlum ...more
More about Robert Ludlum...
The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1) The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2) The Bourne Ultimatum (Jason Bourne, #3) The Matarese Circle (Matarese #1) The Icarus Agenda

“...Summer nights held a special kind of loneliness that gave rise to strange imaginings. One walked the beach alone and thought too much.” 6 likes
“The end did not justify the means, but justifiable means that brought about a fair and necessary conclusion were not to be dismissed.” 4 likes