Blank-133x176
Sea Swept

Nora Roberts

Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga #1)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  36,493 ratings  ·  678 reviews
A champion boat racer, Cameron Quinn has travelled the world spending his winnings on women and champagne. But when his father calls him home to care for Seth, a troubled young boy not unlike Cameron once was, his life changes overnight.
Published 1998 by ISIS Audio Books

Isis FG
Jul 28, 2008 Isis FG rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers / Nora Roberts fans
What is it about Nora Roberts' Quinn brothers that makes them so special? They're rough and tumble, they swear a lot, they like to be in charge, they're all good-looking. But I think it's the fact that they were once all troubled boys who were saved by two good people who instilled in them a sense of family, love, and loyalty that lasted even when they were grown and their adopted parents gone.

Sea Swept tells the story of the first of those boys, Cameron. He was the first troubled boy that Ray a...more
Valerie
My first book by Nora Roberts was "Vision in White". I actually read the entire series (Bride Quartet) since I bought the 4 books at the same time. I liked it but there was something lacking, something that didn't capture me as other stories do.
I was even reluctant to read Nora Roberts again but she has so many books and she's considered one of the best romance authors, so how could I not give her books another try?
I looked through her series and found the Chesapeake Bay Saga. The summary of S...more
Glamdring

*Review without spoilers*

“Don’t mix up who I am and what I am,” she told him quietly. “You have to be honest with me, or the rest of it means nothing.”

He was on his knees on the platform as he spoke, using his hands to show her. And still leaving her in the dark.
But it didn’t matter whether she understood the technique he described or not. She understood him. He might not realize it yet, but he had fallen in love with this place, and with the work he would do here.

This was at least my fourth re...more
Rachel
Fani
DNF for the second time. At least now I reached almost 90% before giving up:) It's not bad, but I really can't get over the heroine screwing one of her 'cases' -very unprofessional & unethical- and the complete lack of tension between them. Not sexual tension, there was tons of that, but conflict. I mean, it's a story of boy meets girl, girl likes boy, they start dating, having sex and then realizing it was more serious than they first thought. No problems, no big fights, no differences betw...more
Jana
The main thing I object is, cliché. Am I that stupid? Yes, I am. I really enjoy romances, quick light fix of alpha male and alpha female, just it’s hard to find an intelligent romance. But it is. Most of them are so badly written, that every time when I see so many 5 stars, I think about the readers and the old lady and her cats metaphor. Don't you have any whatsoever criteria if you rate THIS book 5 stars?

Why do they have to be so transparent? Quick fix doesn't necessarily need to be shallow a...more
Brenda (b)
Jul 31, 2008 Brenda (b) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Isis_FG
I loved this book! I'm glad I decided to read it after seeing Isis_FG's review of it. The interaction between the brothers was wonderful and, in my opinion, made the whole story worthwhile. I felt the romance between Cameron and Anna actually came second place to the story of the Quinn family and that was the perfect way it should be. It's about Cameron finding his true path in life and embracing it. And, of course, he finds love for Anna and Seth too. I'm anxious to read the rest of the series.
Mara
My keyboard died on me today, and since I'm now using the on-screen keyboard (which is annoying me), I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

I can see why Nora Roberts gets her spots on the bestseller lists: she writes the kind of romance that, in order to appeal to the masses, turns out so generic and familiar. It's like you've already read this book, that's how cliched it is. There are all the obligatory elements: a family with issues, dark pasts, precocious kids, cute dogs, a small town...more
Jane Stewart
Solid, well done romance with good relationship development. Racer gives up the fast life to help a foster child.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
College professors teaching romance-fiction courses assigned this book to their students (per Romantic Times magazine Sep 2009). For that reason I thought I’d try it. It has a different take on the romance formula which I liked. Many or most romance novels have a tough alpha male, single not wanting to settle down. Then he meets a female he can’t resist, falls in lo...more
Julianna
Dec 19, 2013 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Contemporary Romance w/Family Drama
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Until now, I had never read a Nora Robert's book. Yeah, I know, how can I, a self-proclaimed romance junkie, not have read any books from the queen of the romance genre? Honestly, I don't know, but now, I've rectified that with Sea Swept, the first in her Chesapeake Bay Saga. I'd heard wonderful things about this series, so I thought it would be a great one to start my foray into Ms. Robert's almost overwhelming backlist. It was a very good story that worked exceptionally...more
Shelly
This is where it all began! Well, where my love affair with NR began anyway. I use to have a job where the work was so mind-numbingly boring I could listen to audio books all day. I started with the library, and since I had never read any NR yet, I picked this one at random. That was five years ago, and I've been trying to finish her backlist ever since.

I'll admit at first, I wasn't in love with our hero Cameron, nor his lady Anna. I thought Cam was a tad unlikable and Anna a little too cool. No...more
Angela
This is my favorite series by Nora Roberts. I re-read it at least once a year. And it's always immensely satisfying.

To give some background, you have the Quinns (Ray and Stella) who, though they couldn't have children of their own, made a family out of three unwanted boys. Trouble-makers, damaged, and severely injured - either in body, mind, or heart, and sometimes all three, Ray and Stella took them in and made them a home. Gave them family, love, care, and a future.

When Cam is in Monaco after...more
Crista
Let me start out by saying that I am not a huge Nora Roberts fan. I know she is one of the queens of romance, so I'm in the minority, but I usually just do not connect with her stories. Sea Swept is definitely an exception to that rule!

This is a book that yes, is a romance...but oh it is really so much more. In some ways this book is equally a romance and a story about "family". It warms the heart AND tickles the funny bone. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

This is Book 1 of a 4 book series. This is Ca...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
I'm going thru yet another Nora Roberts "phase" and reading her books again.

I have always loved this series and Cameron's HEA is one of my favorites. He's just as a fabulous alpha-hero. Playboy boat racer who is suddenly faced with great changes in his life, after his adopted father's death.

Nora Roberts writes the most amazing family sagas and this is one of those. Three troubled teenagers who are adopted by the Quinn's who are having to deal with Seth, who was in the process of being adopted be...more
valee
I really can't believe how AMAZING this read was! I just wish I had known way before now so I could have read it sooner! An outstanding, terrific, marvelous and extremely mind-blowing read.

Review to come later... Probably once I get over this breakdown of feelings I have been having since I started with this book, lol.

It will start saying something like this:

"If I'm already helplessly in love with the series only by reading book 1, I'm completely terrified of what's yet to come. Now I know that...more
Kathleen
I chose this book because I like stories of brothers bonding together towards a common goal. In this case, the goal is bringing up their dying dad's "son" by adoption. Seth is about 11 years old going on a hundred, carrying a load of fear, distrust, and bitterness from his abusive mother. Slowly, his big adoptive brothers Cam, Phillip, and Ethan win his heart -- and they win his. By going into a boat building business, the four brothers bond. Meanwhile, Cam falls in love with Seth's counselor fr...more
Aideeeee
Simplón.

Entre incoherente, indecente y plano. Ya me había leído otro de la autora y es por ello que le voy a dar a esta serie el beneficio de la duda.

Sobre los detalles técnicos voy a decir que no me gustó el estilo de la narración, porque llegaba un punto en el que no sabía si el narrador estaba en la mente de uno u otro personaje.

En fin, me quedé con dos o tres dudas sobre la trama y es por eso que sigo... eso y que siento curiosidad por el 4to libro.

Hay buen morbo y eso le ganó la segunda est...more
Carrie
SOA Listening Challenge 2012: Spread Your Listening-- Contemporary 2/4

Grade B-/C+

While parts of this book were poignant or humorous, other parts were just slow. I was listening to the audiobook on 2X for part of the book because the story seemed to stand in place, going nowhere. Cam was a mixed bag for me, too. He could be a selfish, arrogant man, who also acted childishly at times. On at least two occasions he did things to hurt Anna, and it infuriated me that she let him wheedle and cajole his...more
Michelle
Ethan, Phillip and Cameron are three brothers, with a troubled past, who were adopted and saved by two people who loved them as their own and gave them a second chance. Now both parents are gone and the brothers are fighting to fulfill their dying fathers last wish, to take care of a boy named Seth. I really enjoyed the interaction between the brothers. It was my favorite part. Their personalities are so very different yet they share such a strong brotherly bond. As for the romance, I thought it...more
Kyraryker
Way too slow moving for me. The setting up of the story arc (three men taking over custody of a younger boy) for the series vastly overpowered this book; to the point I would call this romance by the very skin of its teeth.

Reading the next in the series because silent, suffering longing are balms to my sadistic nature.
Denise
This is the first in the Chesapeake Bay Series. This book is about 3 brothers, Cameron, Ethan and Phillip. They were all throwaway abused kids that were taken in and adopted by the Quinn's. This book is focused on Cameron. The 3 men made a deathbed promise to their father that they would take care of Seth, the boy their father was in the process of adopting. The big romance here is Cameron and Anna, the social worker. They just sizzle together and neither of them go into this wanting anything l...more
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
This felt like a surface book to me. There was no depth at all. The characters had very little development, and Anna and Cam had no chemistry at all, so I have no idea why the got together. Anna was annoying and got mad every two seconds for no reason. Anna's sob story did not ring true, and felt fake and forced, as if put there to make her seem real, when it had the opposite effect. Cam's sob story was never discussed; it just loomed in the distance for basically no reason.

I felt nothing for t...more
Carol Preston
I loved the concept of this book about the healing and change that can be wrought in the life of troubled, abused youngsters, who are loved and rescued by caring adults. This story focuses on the adult life of one such young man, the loyalty and depth of his trust in the man who saved him and raised him. I found the sex scenes a bit too steamy for me, but the characters are engaging and it kept me turning the pages.
Esther
I am very concerned for this couple. (view spoiler)...more
Runell
It was a five star read when I read it the first time, and it's a five star read this go around too.

Full review to come.
Laurel
I enjoyed this book immensely, and will definitely read the next one in this series of four books, that make up the Chesapeake Bay Saga. I don't usually read romances, but I am glad that I picked up this one for a challenge. Looking forward to seeing which of the four Quinn boys is the main character of Rising Tides Rising Tides (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #2) by Nora Roberts, and what becomes of Seth, the troubled boy the Quinn brothers have vowed to take into their family, after a deathbed promise to their beloved father. So much of this book is about...more
Andrea Hussey
Nora Roberts’ books have class, sophistication and honorable characters.
And I mean the exact opposite of everything I’ve said.

I absolutely hated his sleezy behavior. He likes “mindless, no-strings sex,” and at the very beginning of the book he’s with this woman who has an accent and speaks quite crudely. He’s calling her sugar and baby and kisses her for the paparazzi, and he had trouble remembering her name. Way to start off a romance book with him about to have sex with someone else.

His shirt...more
Mojca
Cameron Quinn. Thrill-seeker. Speed-lover. Living on the edge. He loves it fast and impersonal. Especially with women. And he loves living in Europe. Alone, doing what he wants, when he wants and how he wants it. Away from home, from his two brothers, from his father. No responsibilities, no accountability except to himself.

Then, one night it all comes crashing down with a fax message. His father has had an accident. And after years of staying away, Cam finally has to come home.

Though this is c...more
Evaine
I loved this book! And I realised why I love Nora's books so much. The men hold the POV stage just as much if not more than the women do.

The scenes of the hero, Cameron Quinn, with his brothers were sheer delight! They made me laugh out loud and wish there were more. The growing brotherly relationship between Cameron and Seth was touching and real. I mean, really, what man notices a boy needs new shoes, for instance? Not Quinn! The ensuing man-trip (all 4 brothers) to the shopping mall was hyst...more
Ne
Opinião:

À primeira leitura de tal afirmação tenho de concordar com tudo, excepto com o suspense, mas após relembrar e até reviver todas as cenas, não posso negar a espantosa capacidade de Nora Roberts em nos manter envolvidos tanto na história de amor principal, como no mistério que serve como pano de fundo e ingrediente para nos agarrar ao livro.
Neste volume a escritora abre-nos um leque de informação acerca da pesca tanto de peixe como de caranguejo, construção de barcos, o que contribui par...more
Sea Swept 13 112 Jul 22, 2012 07:08PM
  • Portrait in Death (In Death, #16)
  • Mackenzie's Mission (Mackenzie Family, #2)
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities #2)
  • Dockside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...

“Please let me go."
"Anna." He lowered his brow to hers. "Don't ask me to do that, because I don't think I can live without you. Take a chance, roll the dice. Come with me.”
16 likes
“Sometimes it’s all you can do,” he murmured. “Fight back; run wild, until you get it all out.”

“Sometimes there is nothing to fight and nowhere to run.”
14 likes