Start by marking “Journey From Venice: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Journey From Venice: A Memoir

Journey From Venice: A Memoir

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The Serene City beckons, promising Paradise regained for Ruth Cracknell and her husband, Eric, as they set forth on a carefully planned holiday.

What they are seeking is time. Time to think, time to gaze, time for each other. But from the moment the holiday becomes an uncharted journey, their time is measured.

Journey From Venice is confronting yet deeply comforting – an ac
Published June 29th 2009 by Penguin Group (Australia) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Journey From Venice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey From Venice

Linda
Book clubbers were greatly divided on this one: I fell into the 'why did she bother' camp. Anyone but one of Australia's greatest actresses wouldn't have got it past a publisher - which admittedly we all acknowledged - but that wasn't enough for me. It's a book that she wrote for herself, for her own healing and grieving process, and perhaps it should have stayed that way.

The style ended up like a travel diary; we did this, then went to that, ate here, met this person, had this doctor, that be
Hannah Louey

I want to go back to Europe. According to my newsfeed on Facebook, apparently everyone I know is enjoying the sun’s rays in the Netherlands, the Mediterranean in Italy or a chocolate croissant in Paris. By comparison, Melbourne is cold, miserable and stressful. Basically, the combination of winter, working full-time and reality (i.e. not being on a holiday) sucks.

Which is why I decided to pick up Ruth Cracknell’s Journey From Venice: if I can’t physically visit
Sophie
As sad as this book was, considering it was simply about the quick illness and death of Ruth's husband, I thought it was written beautifully.
Stephanie
This review originally appeared at www.readinasinglesitting.com.

Venice is the only place in Italy I’ve been to–unless the countryside scudding along outside the train window counts–and it’s a city that straddles so many realities. With a foot on land and one in the ocean, it’s physically an in-between city; with its car-less streets and ancient architecture, it’s a place that allows you to forget for periods of time just what year it is.

Venice is also a place of surprises. I remember spending an
James
I read this when it was published in 2000. I thought it was ok then, but having encountered a similar situation to Ruth Cracknell I was drawn to re-reading it. I appreciated the writing in new ways, not because its particularly beautiful but for its freshly imprinted emotions telling it as it was. not a deeply personal memoir, and yet enough of her raw honesty to help me in my grief journey.
Daisy Chein
I really enjoyed the way this book was written. At times it was a bit rushed and she had random jumps from one portion of time to another but I feel like that exemplified their feeling of urgency and hopelessness, so I actually really liked that. I also really liked how humble she seems to be. Although she's a successful actress who encountered the worst experience in Venice, she did not look down on their medical facilities, staff or the city.

I wasn't born in time to be able to truly admire her
Susan Austin
Although it starts with a funeral, I still ended up feeling gripped by the story as it unfolds, wanting to know how he dies and the details of what happens, and I think this is only because I really admire Ruth Cracknell as an actor etc and she has a simple and beautifully-written story to tell. I'm sure she used the exercise to help her come to terms with her husband's death ( and it is a little too over detailed at times) but I'm glad she shared it.
Cheryl
Not a bad read.
Not the best I have read and I suppose I was expecting a little bit of comedy, since I had only ever 'seen' Ruth Cracknell in the TV series Mother & Son before embarking on her book.
I have never been to Venice so didn't really know what i was in for. It was okay, but a bit 'wet'......pardon the pun!
Marylu
I found this a very sincere and moving account of the death of a beloved husband. It's everyone's worst nightmare to have a partner become gravely ill in a foreign city and I identified closely with Ruth Cracknell as she negotiated this traumatic experience.
Sharron Shimbel
A moving story of a short period of Ruth's life. Part travelogue and a large part her grief when her husband becomes fatally ill. I'm sure this was a cathartic exercise for Ruth and tissues are definitely a requirement when reading.
Angie B
I think Ruth wrote this book as part of her grieving process. It was probably only published due to her fame as an actress. However, it is a moving story, and one any of us, who have lost partners, can relate to.
Sasha
A moving and easy to read bio - focusing on the sudden illness and death of Ruth's husband. A genuine look at the emotional roller coaster of family illness and the end of a forty year relationship.
Cheryl Sharkey
What a great lady, witty and interesting and this is her second book, very different from her original story, Very sad...but I wont spoil it, but if you like bios- esp aussie ones, a good read.
Nicole Naunton
A heartfelt and touching account of a very personal time in her life. I felt so vulnerable reading it. Sobbing from the start. Glad it
was written. Brave of her to do it.
Velvetink
How weird, after adding this yesterday to my wishlist came across it for 10 cents, sadly I only had a $50 note and they wouldn't change it. So still on the wishlist.
Cathy
I enjoyed this book very much. Not a difficult read and it has some very poignaint moments. I thought Ruth had some very interesting things to say.
Chris Walker
Read this a few years ago and liked it. The motto is: don't become dangerously ill in Venice if you can help it.
Andy
A heartfelt read, and insight into one family's journey - tourist and medical - in Venice.
Denise Ware
I loved this book. It was raw at times, honest and beautifully written.
Nicole
I got bored and took it back to the library, sorry Ruth
Jen Roe
A very moving book tissues will be needed
Deb
First book that I read for my book club group.
Helen
  • Salvation Creek
  • The Harp In The South
  • Janet Frame: An Autobiography
  • White Beech: The Rainforest Years
  • Baghdad Sketches (Travel)
  • The Forgotten Rebels of Eureka
  • Literary Converts: Spiritual Inspiration in an Age of Unbelief
  • How to Make Gravy
  • I Can Jump Puddles
  • Nip 'N' Tuck
  • Daughter of Earth
  • Green Vanilla Tea: One Family's Extraordinary Journey of Love, Hope, and Remembering
  • Return to Auschwitz
  • Looking for Lost Bird: A Jewish Woman Discovers Her Navajo Roots
  • Nancy Wake
  • Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary
Ruth Cracknell: A Biased Memoir A Return to Poetry 1999: Poems Eating Out Again and Other Stories