Start by marking “MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery” as Want to Read:
MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery

MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  524 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"This is teaching at its best!"

--Hans Camenzind, inventor of the 555 timer (the world's most successful integrated circuit), and author of Much Ado About Almost Nothing: Man's Encounter with the Electron (Booklocker.com)

"A fabulous book: well written, well paced, fun, and informative. I also love the sense of humor. It's very good at disarming the fear. And it's gorgeous.
Published December 17th 2009 by Maker Media, Inc (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about MAKE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MAKE

Scuppers
It's the best intro to building with electronics that I can imagine.

My only frustration has been adapting one of the circuits to a breadboard version (i.e. the LED blinking circuit - "A Pulsing Glow"); it's more a function of my limitations though than the limitations of the book.

The fact that it's so much better than other electronics books out there, (possibly combined), merits its 5-star rating.
Thaths
I studied Electronics throughout Highschool and University. However, my textbooks and teachers did not make all the concepts clear to me. This book filled some of the gaps in my knowledge ("Why was a transistor invented? I know what a 555 timer does. but why does it exist? Who invented it and why?", etc.)
Alex Jahnke
Even (or especially) if you don't know a thing about electronics, this book is for you. No boring theory, but simple experiments guide you through the fascinating world of electronics.
Warren Gossett
This book gives a relaxed view of doing electronics without tearing your hair out. Of course you may have to switch components or discover that the little device or part you bought does not work exactly the way you read that it was supposed to. Of course it takes a bit more time to build and to test. Charles Platt's examples show that you can cope. Just be prepared and give your self time to ask questions and test the answers. Which may not be permanent answers. That is really good training for ...more
Joseph II
The cover says it right: "Burn things out, mess things up - that's how you learn." This is what electronics is about. Charles Platt has given the electric shock to the Maker movement by writing an essential tome for novices and advanced experimenters alike. I love the O'Reilly standard fare inside the book (clear imagery, text boxes, photos, precise and concise explanations).

As for the imagery, there are schematic diagrams, bread-boarding layouts, hand drawings and color photographs - everythin
Felipe
Years trying to get into electronics but the tutorials online or other books just didnt do it for me.

THis book explains very well some concepts that other wise you would not understand.

The funny thing here is that i got this book for free on www.archive.org as pdf. when i was reading it i could not believe i got it for free.

JJ Lehmann
Judging the writing isn't really appropriate, but I did learn a lot and he explains the concepts and experiments clearly and concisely. Definitely recommend to those who wish to learn about electronics.
Josh
Excellent low level introduction to electronics theory and components in plain english - can't wait to read the second volume!
Muntasim Ul  Haque
Prospective electronic savvy people wouldn't wanna miss this book.
Vladimir Prus
This is a very nicely illustrated and detailed introduction book about electronics. So, if you have no background, it's very recommended.

If you do have background, I am not sure. It might be too basic, and it also focus on building from discrete components. If you want to know how to hook things to your Arduino, it might not be very useful.
Milan Lazić
Whether you have some electronics theory knowledge or not, if you have no practical experience, and you want it, get this book. An exellent beginers book, the only problem is that it makes you wanna work more and more electronics :)
Michael
Very good book for beginners in electronics, which I am. Light on theory, heavy on hands on learning. Be prepared to break a few things. :)
Al Gunn
Wonderful book. I've wanted to tinker around with electronics for years and this book was a fun and simple introduction.
Jahn Juarez
Cloay
- available in SG NLB 621.381 (QT)
Alex Boekelheide
Makes me want to solder fun things
Suresh Madhavan
i want to read this book
Ben
Totally amazing.
Veereswararao
very interesting
Liz
Liz is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2015
Tvanchi
Tvanchi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
  • Making Things Move: DIY Mechanisms for Inventors, Hobbyists, and Artists
  • Practical Electronics for Inventors
  • Getting Started in Electronics
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • How to Avoid Being Killed in a War Zone: The Essential Survival Guide for Dangerous Places
  • Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
  • Programming Arduino Getting Started with Sketches
  • Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies
  • Robot Builder's Bonanza (TAB Robotics)
  • Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers
  • Programming Interactivity: A Designer's Guide to Processing, Arduino, and Openframeworks
From wikipedia:

Charles Platt (born in London, England, 1945) is the author of 41 fiction and nonfiction books, including science-fiction novels such as The Silicon Man and Protektor (published in paperback by Avon Books). He has also written non-fiction, particularly on the subjects of computer technology and cryonics, as well as teaching and working in these fields. Platt relocated from England t
More about Charles Platt...
The Silicon Man The Gas Encyclopedia of Electronic Components Volume 1: Resistors, Capacitors, Inductors, Switches, Encoders, Relays, Transistors Dream Makers Garbage World