Start by marking “MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery” as Want to Read:
MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery

MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"This is teaching at its best!"

--Hans Camenzind, inventor of the 555 timer (the world's most successful integrated circuit), and author of Much Ado About Almost Nothing: Man's Encounter with the Electron (Booklocker.com)

"A fabulous book: well written, well paced, fun, and informative. I also love the sense of humor. It's very good at disarming the fear. And it's gorgeous....more
Published December 17th 2009 by Maker Media, Inc (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about MAKE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MAKE

Scuppers
It's the best intro to building with electronics that I can imagine.

My only frustration has been adapting one of the circuits to a breadboard version (i.e. the LED blinking circuit - "A Pulsing Glow"); it's more a function of my limitations though than the limitations of the book.

The fact that it's so much better than other electronics books out there, (possibly combined), merits its 5-star rating.
Thaths
I studied Electronics throughout Highschool and University. However, my textbooks and teachers did not make all the concepts clear to me. This book filled some of the gaps in my knowledge ("Why was a transistor invented? I know what a 555 timer does. but why does it exist? Who invented it and why?", etc.)
Alex Jahnke
Even (or especially) if you don't know a thing about electronics, this book is for you. No boring theory, but simple experiments guide you through the fascinating world of electronics.
Josh
Excellent low level introduction to electronics theory and components in plain english - can't wait to read the second volume!
Muntasim Ul Haque
Prospective electronic savvy people wouldn't wanna miss this book.
Vladimir Prus
This is a very nicely illustrated and detailed introduction book about electronics. So, if you have no background, it's very recommended.

If you do have background, I am not sure. It might be too basic, and it also focus on building from discrete components. If you want to know how to hook things to your Arduino, it might not be very useful.
Milan Lazić
Whether you have some electronics theory knowledge or not, if you have no practical experience, and you want it, get this book. An exellent beginers book, the only problem is that it makes you wanna work more and more electronics :)
Michael
Very good book for beginners in electronics, which I am. Light on theory, heavy on hands on learning. Be prepared to break a few things. :)
Al Gunn
Wonderful book. I've wanted to tinker around with electronics for years and this book was a fun and simple introduction.
Jahn Juarez
Cloay
- available in SG NLB 621.381 (QT)
Alex Boekelheide
Makes me want to solder fun things
Suresh Madhavan
i want to read this book
Ben
Totally amazing.
Veereswararao
very interesting
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Hakeeq Javid
Hakeeq Javid marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Oct 09, 2014
Danelle
Danelle marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • Getting Started with Arduino
  • Arduino Cookbook
  • The Art of Electronics
  • Getting Started in Electronics
  • Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
  • Learning the vi and Vim Editors
  • Practical Electronics for Inventors
  • Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
  • Processing: A Programming Handbook for Visual Designers and Artists
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
  • Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share
  • The Craftsman
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • Rebel Code: Linux And The Open Source Revolution
  • Disturbing the Universe
From wikipedia:

Charles Platt (born in London, England, 1945) is the author of 41 fiction and nonfiction books, including science-fiction novels such as The Silicon Man and Protektor (published in paperback by Avon Books). He has also written non-fiction, particularly on the subjects of computer technology and cryonics, as well as teaching and working in these fields. Platt relocated from England t...more
More about Charles Platt...
The Silicon Man The Gas Dream Makers Garbage World Encyclopedia of Electronic Components Volume 1: Resistors, Capacitors, Inductors, Switches, Encoders, Relays, Transistors