The Riddle of Penncroft Farm

The Riddle of Penncroft Farm

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Lars Olafson's move to the Valley Forge area brings him friendship with the ghost of an ancestor, who recounts his adventures during the American Revolution.
Published August 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1989)

Rebecca Berinstein
Jensen lived in a town one over from my own hometown in New Hampshire, which is how she became the first author I ever met. An even more telling review would be that of my middle brother saying this is only book he read and like while in school. A jem.
CaliGirlRae
Heard about this book on a message board. It looks like they used an image of late actor Jonathan Brandis on the cover when he was a teen. :-)
Hannah
A Minnesota kid who hates history and is bored by life moves to an old farm in Pennslyvania where he meets an ancestor who changes his opinion about history, life, and relationships.

Gives an interesting look at some of the battles and peoples (and foods and games) of the "First American Civil War." It has some mild language.
Kelly
I grabbed this book off of my kids' bookshelf because I wanted a quick story to read. It was the perfect choice. It is a fun look at the history of the US through the eyes of a young boy. I think the reading level is around 4th-5th grade and is perfectly geared to that age, since thy study this part of our nation's history during that time. If you have children around this age, I highly recommend it. Just be sure to read the part at the end that explains what is fact and what is fiction. Excelle...more
Su
A perfectly serviceable YA novel. I didn't actually like the protagonist much, especially his "ugh, girls" attitude, even though this changes in the courrse of the book. I've read so much really quality YA fiction that something like this, which I probably would have enjoyed in middle school, pales by comparison.
Katie
I really liked this book. I like historical fictions, and this one was combined with a mystery so it was even better. About a boy who moves to a farm and sees a "ghost," then his grandma dies and he has to find the will or else lose the farm.
Art
Sep 02, 2008 Art rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Art by: Mrs. Dodge, Bullitt Lick Middle School
I read this book awhile back.
Great way that Ms. Jensen weaved history into the present and helped this young boy come to terms w/family, school and growing up.
Jean
My fifth grade students notice many historical details in this book. I read it to them when
We are studying the American Revolution.
Katherine
***A child's review***

This book is terrible!!!!
How can you like, let alone love it?!?!?!?!?!?
NEVER READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Emily
It makes american history interesting, even though we learned about 4504934583 times in elementary school.
Stephanie
I LOVED this book when I was in grade school. I can't even tell you how many times I read this book.
Becky
My history book. It was pretty good. Just another book to read if your bored or if you have to.
Nancy
This is a favorite book from my childhood that I reread. Love the historical fiction.
Aug Dinash
I have to read this as my summer reading book, only on chapter 4 so far.
Diane
Diane added it
Jul 25, 2014
Muriel Anderson
Muriel Anderson marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Anna Kunkel-jure
Anna Kunkel-jure is currently reading it
May 01, 2014
Erynne
Erynne marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Rowan
Rowan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dorothea Jensen, born in Boston, Massachusetts, grew up in Chillicothe, Illinois. She majored in English Literature at Carleton College. After graduation, she taught high school English, then served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in South America. Later she earned a masters degree in Secondary Education (with a concentration in TESOL) at the University of New Mexico. She has lived in many places, incl...more
More about Dorothea Jensen...
Blizzy, the Worrywart Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #2) Tizzy, the Christmas Shelf Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #1) Dizzy, the Stowaway Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #3)