Start by marking “The Riddle of Penncroft Farm” as Want to Read:
The Riddle of Penncroft Farm

The Riddle of Penncroft Farm

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  14 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Lars Olafson's move to the Valley Forge area brings him friendship with the ghost of an ancestor, who recounts his adventures during the American Revolution.
Published August 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1989)

Rebecca Berinstein
Jensen lived in a town one over from my own hometown in New Hampshire, which is how she became the first author I ever met. An even more telling review would be that of my middle brother saying this is only book he read and like while in school. A jem.
CaliGirlRae
Heard about this book on a message board. It looks like they used an image of late actor Jonathan Brandis on the cover when he was a teen. :-)
Kelly
I grabbed this book off of my kids' bookshelf because I wanted a quick story to read. It was the perfect choice. It is a fun look at the history of the US through the eyes of a young boy. I think the reading level is around 4th-5th grade and is perfectly geared to that age, since thy study this part of our nation's history during that time. If you have children around this age, I highly recommend it. Just be sure to read the part at the end that explains what is fact and what is fiction. Excelle ...more
Hannah
A Minnesota kid who hates history and is bored by life moves to an old farm in Pennslyvania where he meets an ancestor who changes his opinion about history, life, and relationships.

Gives an interesting look at some of the battles and peoples (and foods and games) of the "First American Civil War." It has some mild language.
Su
A perfectly serviceable YA novel. I didn't actually like the protagonist much, especially his "ugh, girls" attitude, even though this changes in the courrse of the book. I've read so much really quality YA fiction that something like this, which I probably would have enjoyed in middle school, pales by comparison.
Katie
I really liked this book. I like historical fictions, and this one was combined with a mystery so it was even better. About a boy who moves to a farm and sees a "ghost," then his grandma dies and he has to find the will or else lose the farm.
Art
Sep 02, 2008 Art rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Art by: Mrs. Dodge, Bullitt Lick Middle School
I read this book awhile back.
Great way that Ms. Jensen weaved history into the present and helped this young boy come to terms w/family, school and growing up.
Jean
My fifth grade students notice many historical details in this book. I read it to them when
We are studying the American Revolution.
Katherine
***A child's review***

This book is terrible!!!!
How can you like, let alone love it?!?!?!?!?!?
NEVER READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Emily
It makes american history interesting, even though we learned about 4504934583 times in elementary school.
Stephanie
I LOVED this book when I was in grade school. I can't even tell you how many times I read this book.
Nancy
This is a favorite book from my childhood that I reread. Love the historical fiction.
Aug Dinash
I have to read this as my summer reading book, only on chapter 4 so far.
Suzanne Rose
Suzanne Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Rick
Rick is currently reading it
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Louanne
Louanne marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Nuala
Nuala added it
Jan 13, 2015
Meghan
Meghan added it
Jessica Lochte
Jessica Lochte marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • George Washington's Socks
  • Ghost Cadet
  • Arthur's Honey Bear
  • Harriet the Spy, Double Agent (Harriet the Spy Adventures, #2)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea/The Tombs of Atuan/The Farthest Shore/Tehanu/The Other Wind/Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea 1-6)
  • Never Forgotten
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • Double Dog Dare
  • An Innocent Soldier
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • Harriet Spies Again
  • Behind Rebel Lines
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • Aliens Are Coming!: The True Account of the 1938 War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast
  • The Wonderful O
  • Arthur, For the Very First Time
Dorothea Jensen was born in Boston, Massachusetts, and grew up in Chillicothe, Illinois. She majored in English Literature at Carleton College. After graduation, she taught high school English, then served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in South America. Later she earned a masters degree in Secondary Education (with a concentration in TESOL) at the University of New Mexico. She has lived in many place ...more
More about Dorothea Jensen...
Frizzy, the S.A.D. Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #4) Blizzy, the Worrywart Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #2) Dizzy, the Stowaway Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #3) Tizzy, the Christmas Shelf Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #1) Frizzy, the S.A.D. Elf: Santa's Izzy Elves #4