Start by marking “How to Be Famous: Our Guide to Looking the Part, Playing the Press, and Becoming a Tabloid Fixture” as Want to Read:

From braving the wilds of Los Angeles to the Costa Rican jungle, Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt have learned a thing or two about reality...television, that is. But while dominating the airwaves and tabloid covers every week may look like all fun and mind games, Speidi is here to tell you: becoming wildly famous requires hard work and a no-fail blueprint for success. Now, ...more
Published November 16th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Famous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Famous

Greg
I won this book from the Goodreads first reads contest thing. Karen thought I was going against the spirit of the contest by entering to win this book, since obviously I was only trying to get the book to rip in in to it. In my defense I entered to win a bunch of books, most of them ones I wanted to read. Instead I won this one. I feel like I've won the special olympics.

This book is about how to be famous by two people who are apparently famous. Honestly I had no idea who either of these two pe
Wendy
Nov 11, 2009 Wendy rated it did not like it
Are you kidding me?

Really? REALLY???

Actually, I should be happy, because if these two frauds can get a book published,ANYONE CAN!!!!!

Brea
Jan 16, 2015 Brea rated it did not like it
Train wreck.

That is the best way to describe this book...

Going into this I was not expecting much. It was part of my 2015 reading challenge; a book with bad reviews.

However, when I read the first page I was hopeful! It was clear that Spencer and Heidi knew they were famous for absolutely no reason and were mocking individuals like myself who were buying into and consuming their brand.

I thought "woah, this might actually be interesting and witty!"

No. Not at all.

The writing was really bad. I mea
Kristina
Oct 27, 2010 Kristina rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Got this as a gift and of course I read it. Expecting absolute drivel, I was pleasantly surprised to find this written in a self-effacing, tongue-in-cheek sort of way. There was a vaguely amusing comment here or there, too.
Not great, but not as awful as I expected (which isn't saying much, however).
Lindsay
Jul 13, 2010 Lindsay rated it did not like it
Shelves: skimmed
I liked looking at the pictures, but this was really hard to get through. I was not expecting rocket science, but lord.

Just so we're clear, I did not buy this book. Los Angeles Public Library was kind enough to lend it to me.
MommyRandR
i would like really like to know who gave herpes simplex 1 & 2 a friggin' book deal?! The title should really read How To Be Annoying. This is on my list of "Books I Have No Intentions of Reading"
Wendy Hines
Jun 20, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it it was ok
HOW TO BE FAMOUS is Heidi and Spencer's no nonsense insider's guide to get you from your house to the red carpet, so to speak.

First step is to hang out with someone famous. You're more apt to get noticed that way. Start from the bottom and work your way up. Spencer talks about the perks of being a villain and how to become the bad guy. You know the saying "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer?" Spencer guides you to how to make your friends your enemies. After all, Freddy Krueger is
FabulousRaye
Mar 25, 2010 FabulousRaye rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gossip hounds, trashy people
Shelves: own-it, 2010
This is a book my late mother would have picked up in the sale bin at Walden books. She was very big into gossip, and trashy celebrities. It totally rubbed off on me.

I have never watched any reality show Spencer & Heidi have been on. I only know who they are from reading gossip sites & magazines. I usually just dismissed whatever was written about them. They aren't anyone I really care about.

This book was hilarious and informative in a ridiculous way. I'm not sure if one could actually g
Erin
Feb 18, 2010 Erin rated it did not like it
Truly, truly tragic.
Shesten
Nov 10, 2009 Shesten rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, hardcover
Chapter Titles: Your Point of Entry, Spencer's Guide to Playing the Villain, Heidi's Guide to Playing the Bombshell, Pretty on the Outside!, The Paps are Your Friends, Tell Your Story, Couple Power!, Building Your Brand, Getting Word Done Is Your Job, By Heidi, Famously Ever After, Epilogue, In Case of Emergency
Format: Hardcover

Precis: How to be Famous is a guide to the formula used by Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag on how they got famous for... well... being famous. Their formula seems to mostl
Kim V
Dec 03, 2009 Kim V rated it liked it
How to be Famous by Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt is a tongue-in-cheek guide for would be tabloid stars. As the authors gush, “whether you love us, hate us, or love to hate us, there is a recipe for infiltrating Hollywood, and we’ve got it.”

Montag and Pratt caution, “if you fail to churn out the drama that got people interested in the first place, you’re doomed to never see your sixteenth minute [of fame:].” Thankfully, How to be Famous reveals how to keep churning out the drama for future En
Freda Mans-Labianca
Dec 22, 2009 Freda Mans-Labianca rated it really liked it
I can't believe I am about to write this, but I really liked this book. Okay stop laughing at me, and read on....
I, too, thought this book was a joke, and if I read it to take it as such. However, while reading I found myself realizing that these two are not as dumb as they come across on the television. A lot of what they said in the book, actually makes sense. Now I don't know for sure if the tips to being successful and famous work, and I have no plans on finding out, but with common sense an
Deanna
Dec 11, 2009 Deanna rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-read
I won this book through Goodreads.I read the book and guess what, I am NOT famous. Of course I didn’t follow the guidelines. Such as be the villain, befriend someone and turn on them. You could also use a current BFF or family member if you want. Learn their weakness and deepest darkest secret to use or hold until needed. Hire a personal trainer, personal shopper, and plastic surgery may be needed. Always look your best, go to where the “paps” are to get photographed.
This is not a book for thos
Beth
Nov 23, 2009 Beth rated it it was ok
I borrowed this from the library, other wise I wouldn't read it because I wouldn't pay money for it. And really, I skimmed more of this than I actually read. I gave it two stars instead of one because you have to take this for what it's worth. It's supposed to be trite. Heidi and Spencer put it all out there. In fact, this book made me wonder if these two even really like each other or if they're just together to get more media attention.
Tiffany
Nov 19, 2009 Tiffany rated it really liked it
It is everything I expected from Spencer and Heidi! As a fan of The Hills, I was excited to read this book and really see what they had to say. This is before Heidi's extensive plastic surgery, but there are some precursors to it, so you definitely see it coming. I'm sure they'll write another one soon :) The pictures were ridiculous in the best way and it's exactly what I expected from some of my favorite reality TV stars :)

Mary (BookHounds)
Dec 10, 2009 Mary (BookHounds) rated it it was ok
I supposed this was meant to be tongue in cheek, at least I hope it was. This duo better leave the actual writing to Lauren Conrad. I really enjoyed her book LA Candy. If you enjoyed reading the National Enquirer, then you will more than likely get a kick out of reading this.
Kelly Sermeno
Jan 01, 2010 Kelly Sermeno rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-won
This book isn't the kind of book I am really interested in, but I read it because I won it. It was very hard to read, not due to how it was written but what its about. How to become famous by having no talent at all, just by causing drama on a reality tv show. not my kind of book.
Sapphire Gemstone
I don't know what possessed me to read this. Hell, I think I'm a glutton for punishment, but take my word for it. Not good. Absolutely not. Keep away. Ugggh.
Es
Dec 01, 2010 Es rated it did not like it
Also, got this one last christmas.
Pretty ridiculous how they just spent the whole time calling out their own ridiculousness.
Alona Perlin
Jul 30, 2015 Alona Perlin rated it it was ok
The insider scoop behind "The Hills" was somewhat interesting, but no earth-shattering information here.
Jennie
Jul 16, 2010 Jennie rated it did not like it
wow. just, wow. exactly what i expected - which is why i wasted neither the money nor actual paper on it since i borrowed the ebook from my library.
Kristin
Apr 28, 2010 Kristin rated it did not like it
I walked by it at the library and wasted 10 minutes reading/skimming it. I wanted to go shower after some of the things I read.
Sam
Dec 08, 2009 Sam marked it as to-read
I'm sorry, but I think Spencer (er, King Spencer) is awesomely hilarious.

Edit: Also, I do not actually intend to read this.
Taylor
Sep 21, 2013 Taylor rated it it was ok
don't judge me. it was a gift.
Gina
Nov 20, 2009 Gina marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Just won through first reads.... cant wait to read it!
Evey
Jun 04, 2014 Evey marked it as ha-ha-nope
No thanks, sir. I don't want any.
Joy
Nov 20, 2009 Joy rated it it was ok
This book was more boasting than helping, but it was still funny.
Ishita
Ishita rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2012
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose
  • Adapting Eden (Save The Pearls, #2)
  • Confessions of a Guidette
  • Twilight, True Love and You: Seven Secret Steps to Finding Your Edward or Jacob
  • Fifty Shades of Alice Through the Looking Glass (Fifty Shades of Alice Trilogy #2)
  • Fifty Shades of Chicken: A Parody in a Cookbook
  • The Rules According to Jwoww
  • Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity
  • Red Carpet Suicide: A Survival Guide on Keeping Up With the Hiltons
  • High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton
  • America's March to Socialism: Why we're one step closer to giant missile parades
  • America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag
  • Above All  (Jasper Swinton #1))
  • Suicide Ride: The Fix (Suicide Ride #2)