Scoundrel's Kiss (Medieval, #2)

Scoundrel's Kiss (Medieval #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When It Comes To Temptation...

Turning his back on his old life as a rogue, Gavriel de Marqueda has joined a monastic order in Spain and taken a vow of chastity. Before he becomes a monk, he must pass one final test: help a woman who has lost her way. But when he lays eyes on Ada of Keyworth, he is tempted beyond measure by her sultry beauty and dangerous curves.

Rules Are...more
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published January 5th 2010 by Zebra

Katie(babs)
Ada of Keyworth escaped her life in England for the country of Toledo after a she was held captive by a most evil man who tortured her, as well as breaking all ties with her sister, who she felt betrayed her. Ada still can’t get passed the demons that plague her and even though she is a learned woman and a scholar of many languages who has found patronage an important lady, the Condesa de Valdedrona. Ada suffers daily because she has become addicted to opium. Her addiction has consumed her and h...more
Regina
Wow! Scoundrel's Kiss was an refreshing and exciting adventure set in medieval Spain (early 1200s). The time period alone makes it original for me (I don't come across too many of these) but our flawed lead couple--Gavriel and Ada--made an unusual couple in this thrilling mix of history and romance.

Gavriel, raised by his father as a slave and groomed as a puppet warrior, disguised himself as a monk. He was tortured by his inadequacies but didn't believe he deserved better. Ada, opium-addicted an...more
Abby
Author Carrie Lofty likes a challenge. She certainly set herself up for one in her previous book, What A Scoundrel Wants, by choosing Will Scartlet as a hero and a blind female alchemist (Ada's sister Meg) as the heroine. Lofty was successful enough with that pairing and in coping with the legend of Robin Hood, that I was excited to read her second book, Scoundrel's Kiss.

Gavriel de Marqueda has turned his back on his former life as a hardened warrior. He has taken vows of chastity, poverty and n...more
Danette Steward
The year 1201. If you want a deep and depressing read then this is for you. There is no fluff. No warm fuzzies. Both the H/H are tortured. She is an opium addict. He in the monastery for his deadly sins and to escape slavery. Way too serious a read for me. I did manage to finish it though....surprisingly. If author's other books are like this then I won't be looking for any more by her.
Brande Waldron
Carrie Lofty has truly outdone herself in her newest novel which releases tomorrow, Jan 05 ...... Scoundrel's Kiss, a must read sequel to her Zebra debut, What a Scoundrel Wants. Ada of Keyworth is addicted to opium and is about to sell herself to the highest bidder she is so desperate for her next fix. A scholarly woman from England now so desperate and dependant on the drug that all common sense has failed her. Saved at the last minute by Gavriel de Marqueda and left in his charge by her so ca...more
Malin
Gavriel de Marqueda is trying to put his old life as enforcer, thug and hired killer for his ungrateful family. He's sought refuge with a monastic order, swearing vows of chastity, obedience and non-violence. He only needs to succeed in one last task to be accepted as a full member of the order. However, the test he is set might prove to make him break every one of his new vows.

Ada of Keyworth is far away from her English home. She's risking her position as translator to an influential Spanish n...more
Heather
Jan 16, 2010 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romace readers, people who like historical
Recommended to Heather by: Has
First, let me say that I would give this book a 4 1/2 but that isn't an option here. This is only the second historical romance I have read and the first without a paranormal aspect. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it. Carrie Lofty's prose transported me right into that time and place. I really was surprised because I expected it to take some time for me to get into the book but from the first chapter to the last I was sucked in, addicted and breathless. I will be reading more books by this author...more
Historical Tapestry
Castile, Iberian Peninsula, 13th century. The fights between Moors and Christians have been going on for centuries. The Convivencia is in place, having Moors, Christians and Jews living together despite their religious beliefs causing deep social differences.

Ada of Keyworth is an English woman with a talent for languages who found a place in the court of a known aristocrat in Toledo. Her troubled past led her to a opium dependance to calm her dreams. While trying to end her thirst for more drug...more
Cristina Contilli
"Strega, drogata, sgualdrina: lui era in grado di tenerle testa in ciascuna di quelle incarnazioni, anche se a stento. Ma come le lacrime, anche l'umiltà minacciava la sua parte più profonda, quella priva di difese."

In attesa di scoprire come e quando Gabriel avrebbe ceduto alle lusinghe di Ada sono arrivata fino al termine di questo romance, ma anche se ho apprezzato l'ambientazione insolita (la Spagna del 1200 e il fatto altrettanto insolito che il protagonista sia un religioso (non un monaco...more
Cristina Contilli

In attesa di scoprire come e quando Gabriel avrebbe ceduto alle lusinghe di Ada sono arrivata fino al termine di questo romance, ma anche se ho apprezzato l'ambientazione insolita (la Spagna del 1200) e il fatto altrettanto insolito che il protagonista sia un religioso (non un monaco...more
Erica Anderson
An unusual romance in an unusual setting--medieval Spain. I recently finished one of Carrie Lofty's Regency-era romances set in central Europe and so I looked into her back list. Scoundrel's Kiss is worth reading for the setting alone, which is much more than simple window-dressing. The heroine is an Englishwoman with an addiction to opium (!) and the hero is a former assassin trying to make amends for his past sins.

If you're in the mood for something different, something not set in England or...more
Marcella
The second book in this series was a very good read. My only criticism of this book is that I felt there were some parts of the book that seemed to drag on.

One of the things I loved about this book is the relationship between Ada and Gavriel. They were well matched and I loved their dynamic. Another favorite character for me is Jacob. The guy is loyal and brave. I hope he gets his happy ending in the next book...if there's going to be one. He deserves one.

The characters are great and easy to lik...more
I like Carrie Lofty's books for several reasons--I like her medieval time period. I like the risks she takes with her characters and her settings. I like her dark, gothic world. I like her sinister plots and villains. All that said, I find I can't give her books five stars because they don't grab me emotionally. There is something about her writing that keeps me at arm's length. I enjoy them. I make time to read them. But, they just don't grab me. Everything else about them is perfect.
Lynn Spencer
Ever since I read What a Scoundrel Wants, I've been wanting to see what happened to the heroine's horrid sister, Ada. In Scoundrel's Kiss, Ada, our villain, shows a more nuanced side and gets a story of her own that features a fantastic web of plot and some of the morally intriguing characters I'm starting to expect from this author.

This is a partial review. You can find the complete one at All About Romance: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookRev...
Natālija
Source: Goodreads First Reads

All in all, this was an enjoyable book from a new to me author. The best thing I loved about it was its novelty: it's set in Medieval Spain and features one of the most original characters I have ever read about.

Bottom line, even though Middle Ages is not my usual cup of tea, I really liked this story, and I will definitely be looking into more titles by Ms. Lofty.

Many thanks to the author for the giveaway!

Mskchick
DNF
This book wasn't horrible. I just couldnt get myself interested in finishing it. I got about halfway though, and then put it down for the night. After I picked up and finished 4 other books instead of finishing Scoundrel's Kiss, I decided to just throw in the towel. The story just didn't hold my interest, and I didn't like Carrie Lofty's writing style as much as in her later books.
Laine
i was sorry for ada since she is under the influence of opium and i admire gavriel for all the care and attention he gave to her. i am not a fan of this kind of story, since it has intense revenge plot and the trial that the heroine needs to face because of certain debts. what i did like is that despite the vow that gavriel took, he stood up for ada for love and not for other means.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Dellen
Dellen is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Lucía
Lucía marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Barbara Xedos
Barbara Xedos marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Arcadia Silverpaw
Arcadia Silverpaw marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Dillish
Dillish marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
  • Hidden Honor
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • The Conqueror
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • In the Shadow of Midnight (Robin Hood, #2)
  • Stealing Heaven (Medieval #3)
  • Shadowheart (Medieval Hearts, #2)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • Libertine's Kiss (English Restoration, #1)
  • Indiscreet
  • The Bride Hunt (Conqueror, #1)
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family #2)
  • The Viking's Captive Princess
  • The Warrior
  • The Marriage Bed (The Medieval Knight Series #2)
  • One Good Turn (Nesbitt, #2)
  • Captive of Sin
Two time RITA-nominated and multiple RT Reviewers' Choice-winning author Carrie Lofty has over twenty books to her name--or four names, to be precise. Her paranormal (as Lindsey Piper ) and historical romances from Pocket have been described as "nuanced and superbly realized" (The Chicago Tribune) and "sexy, brutal and somehow innocent" (All About Romance). Now Carrie is celebrating her first New...more
More about Carrie Lofty...
Blue Notes Flawless (The Christies, #1) What a Scoundrel Wants (Medieval, #1) His Very Own Girl Starlight (The Christies, #2)