Start by marking “Corked” as Want to Read:
Corked

Corked

2.62 of 5 stars 2.62  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Meet Kathryn Borel, bon vivant and undutiful daughter. Now meet her father, Philippe, former chef, eccentric genius, and wine aficionado extraordinaire. Kathryn is like her father in every way but one: she's totally ignorant when it comes to wine. And although Philippe has devoted untold parenting hours to delivering impassioned oenological orations, she has managed to rem ...more
Published February 16th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Corked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corked

Morrigan
This is a memoir by Kathryn Borel and in it she relates how she and her father embark on a wine trip across France and she attempts to face some of her demons. I say attempts, because she does not seem to succeed.

There are quite a few problems with this book. First, the book reads like an SAT words overloaded essay. The author has quite the penchant for the literary mechanisms and she fails to implement them well. The analogies are over the top and out of place. The book could have enjoyed bett
Teechbiz
This is a funny memoir about a father daughter tour through Europe's wine country. I found it to be vvery witty and I laughed out loud several times.
Katie
The concept of this book was so appealing, but the execution was terrible. It's a memoir about a father and daughter taking a tour of French wineries in order to reconnect. Road trip through France tasting wine? I'm there. But oh, no... not good.

I felt the father and daughter's relationship was just so poorly conveyed. The whole time they bickered, but honestly I could not tell if it was real bickering or tongue-in-cheek bickering where they were really just amused with each other. If you can't
Brande Waldron
I love to drink wine, but I must admit I don't know much about it, and I always stick to the one or two brands that I do know I like. One of the reasons that I chose to read and review this book is because I remember growing up in California until I was nine, with two parents who cruised around the California Wine Country for countless days and hours during my childhood. For a long time I completely resented wine enthusiasts, hated them because I my memories were of being stuffed into the back o ...more
Sandy Mckenzie
Corked is the true story of 26-year-old Kathryn Borel's wine-tasting trip through France with her father. Mr. Borel was born in France and is a great lover of wine with an extensive wine cellar. This trip is Ms. Borel's attempt to get to know her father and develop a deeper understanding of his passion for wine. Kathryn hopes to strenghten her bond with her French-born wine aficionado father. The results will make you laugh out loud.
The book also deals with some serious issues Kathryn has to dea
Mary (BookHounds)

At first I thought this would be a run of the mill memoir about a father and daughter taking the trip of a lifetime, but it quickly became much more than that. Borel's honesty about what has happened in her life, from an accident where she kills a pedestrian, her break up with her boyfriend and the relationship she really doesn't have with her father all come together and make for a satisfying read. There is some harshness in the story and I thought it all came together when she confronts her fa
Alexis
Mar 28, 2010 Alexis rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I did learn some interesting things about wine and France in this book, but mostly I learned about how the author and her father are both hystrionic and a little over the top. They behaved badly, and I was embarrassed for them. However, I did learn about wine and craved some while reading this.
Michelle
A lot of the time, I find memoirs self-indulgent. This was one of those memoirs. I am impatient to a fault, especially with the self-created or self-propagated problems of others. Especially others who are nothing but characters in books (at least to me).

Kathryn Borel is a decent writer. A few of her experiences with wine and men (though not with death or fathers) mirror my own. To some extent, I can relate. Her problems with wine and men, however, are much exacerbated by her own lack of confide
Knitography
There were parts of this book that I liked - funny moments, touching moments, interesting moments. Unfortunately there were many more parts of this book that I strenuously disliked; it took no time at all for me to tire of the author's endless whinging about her recent break-up. Writing is absolutely an excellent way to work through one's feelings, but the results of that sort of exercise are not necessarily publishable (and it's kind of narcissistic to believe otherwise about your own therapy-o ...more
Suzie
This was a fun, easy-going, lighter read that went quickly. It wasn't the best written memoir on the planet, but compared to the plethera of incredibly well written memoirs out there, it is difficult to compare. This is a story about a father-daughter team that goes off on a cross country trip to France to immerse themselves in wine tasting. The narrator is endearing and relatable only because she is flawed and openly admits the struggles she has in her relationship with her father. She loves hi ...more
Dianne
Mar 09, 2013 Dianne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Philippe and Kathryn Borel are a father and daughter on a wine tasting tour of France, a trip proposed by Kathryn when she realized that she barely knew her dad. He had raised her trying to teach her everything he knew about wine, a subject in which she took no interest until she came to see that if she wanted to really know her father she should try to understand what he had spent his life doing.

I started the book with the expectation that it would be a quaint story in the same vein as Peter Ma
Brandee
When I found this book I had several reasons that made me excited about reading it. First, I was excited about reading a book about a father and daughter and I was very excited to follow their journey on a wine trip. The book starts off in the middle of the wine trip but I didn’t get interested in the book until the fourth chapter but that interest was lost soon after. There was another point in the book that caught my interest again but it was lost again and it was at this point that I was so f ...more
Chris Lytle
Fear and loathing in Bordeaux? What promised to be a light and likely humourous father-daughter buddy road trip through French wine country spiralled into the pathalogical rantings of a young woman's deperate cry for help. Although I was tempted to abandon this read more than once, I pushed through in the hope that it would eventually become "Sideways" en francais.

The eccentric father slowly evolved from an arrogant bon vivant to a man rich in experience and insight. While his often unpredicata
Leigh  Kramer
This is a 2.5 star book. I did not anticipate liking this book at all once I started reading. Neither Borel or her father come across as likable. Once I start a book, I rarely stop reading. In this case, I'm glad I persevered. Her father writes a letter toward the end of their trip that moved me to tears. It didn't fully redeem the bizarre nature of their relationship but it was beautiful all the same. Bonus: I learned more about wine, which is why I picked the book up in the first place.
Anita
It was a memoir. I have trouble with "memoirs" because they are really fictionalized events in a person's life. Some might be true, some might be exaggerated or embellished. Really, I guess I have a pretty uneventful life or a boring mind because I would never do or think or say most of the things the author and her father do, think and say. I didn't like the constant use of "f***" or the what seemed to be very inappropriate imagery the author used. I thought it was going to be a fun, whimsical ...more
Gaby
I was excited to read Corked largely because of the father-daughter story behind the book. It was interesting to read about this family of gourmets and wine aficionados. I think that someone more knowledgeable about wines and vineyards would have gotten much more out of the book. I personally found Philippe to be such an unsympathetic character and poor father that it diminished my enjoyment of their journey. Instead of chuckling at Phillipe's selfishness and petty whims, I found myself wanting ...more
Chris Leuchtenburg
I have to admit to enjoying reading this book. It's not that I quarrel with the scathing reviews, it is certainly a multi-flawed book, but I still enjoyed it. I even enjoyed some of the purple prose, although the adolescent mooning about a far away lover did make me wince. Such a wonderful premise, too bad the execution went somewhat awry.
Bonnieb
Not very good memoir by a Canadian journalist of her two weeks in France with her Father, originally from France. Whiny, shallow. Did learn a little something of French wines, thanks to her writing a little bit about where they visited. Would not recommend to anyone.
Wendy
A self-indulgent piece of junk. Borel airs her issues with her father and her inability to make connections with men while recounting a frankly boring wine-tasting trip in France with her father. I resent even the small amount of time I wasted on this book. Avoid at all costs.
Tina Hayes
"Corked" by Kathryn Borel is a hilarious true account of the author's trip with her father. As they travel through some of France's richest wine territory, Kathryn hopes to strenghten her bond with her French-born wine aficionado father. The results will make you laugh out loud.

The book also deals with some serious issues Kathryn has to deal with, like forgiving herself for accidentally killing an old man, and getting over her last broken relationship with an ex-boyfriend.

Her father Philippe is
Penny
This is one funny writer! Crude and shocking at times but completely funny. Catching my breath in between giggles, I asked myself "who's father is like this?". The Borel's background is so different from my own that her relationship with her father seemed almost fiction-like. I mean Kathryn, you had a nickname? You could make your father laugh? That's a grade "A" dad in my world. If you have a good sense of humor and a base knowledge of how important a father-daughter relationship is (specifical ...more
Seth Madej
In Corked Kathryn Borel avoids the two traps most young memoirists fall into. First, she makes sure she has something to write about other than the tops of her shoes; she looks up and around and tells us as much about her father as herself, not to mention about the liturgy of French wine and about the personal horror of a tragedy most of us will be lucky enough never to experience.

Second, she grasps that her memoir is not historic and not even really historical. She writes a small book that capt
Colleen
This meandering memoir covered a father-daughter wine-tasting trip trip through France, but the location was the only appealing element of the book. Both the narraor and her fathercame across as selfish, self-involved, and immature. Between his tantrums, her childish sulks, and both of their inability to communicate like adults, the book was actually painful in places to read. The book seems to have no general purpose- no grand revelations or useful life messages or interesting stories emerge th ...more
Marjorie Elwood
After navigating the first half of this whiny book, I was heartily tired of the author's verbally abusive father and the nasty and inappropriate relationship they had with each other, not to mention her transferal of that emotional mess to her most recent relationship.

But on page 138, she used the term "gay" in a pejorative manner ("I had scanned the meager collection of notebooks at the French bookstore, and all had gay children's motifs - juggling cartoon bears or mice wearing bonnets, doing a
Leya
If you're looking for a book about wine, this is not it. This book is about the author an her father reconnecting. The author is getting over a break-up and still hasn't dealt with her feeling with death. She's afraid of suddenly losing loved ones. And I believe that was the main reason for the wine tasting trip. To learn as much as possible from her father, because you never know when she may lose him. There's also wine in there too, but very little.

That being said, I enjoyed the book. I found
gini
Love memoirs, love travel, love wine, love road-trips, what's not to like? This book.
Ciara
As much as I tried, I couldn't get emotionally invested into the relationship between Kathryn and her father as they travel to all the wine regions of France. It was hard to be sympathetic toward her boyfriend problems because she was far too self-indulgent.

That being said, the novel was humorous at times especially as Kathryn tried to impress her father with the wine knowledge she was struggling to attain. It is easy to learn some wine knowledge basics with the author along the way.
Natalie T.
Borel's first memoir charters the emotional and complicated territory of a father/daughter relationship. In this case, she decides to do so on a road trip in a Citroen across the wine regions of France (her father is an avid wine collector). Though at times, I thought Borel scrutinized and beat hereslf up often, her anecdotes and dialogue were quirky and charming, just like her. It's an entertaining read (it's also $7 at the local Book City but I paid regular price for the book).
Caitlin
This book had a lot of potential, but I thought the author was trying too hard at times. Something about it just didn't appeal to me. Too much drama (mostly self-made) with her dad and not enough talk about wine tasting in France! I would really only recommend this book if you are in an airport bookstore in a non-English speaking country and they only have a few books in English and this is one of them. Then you can read this. Otherwise...skip it!
Feb 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sadly, no one.
Recommended to Jennifer by: Review Copy
Snippet from my blog....[return]Corked: A Memoir rendered me confused, sad, and desperately hoping this is loosely based on Kathryn Borel's life. would very much like to write about how redeeming I found this memoir, however, I cannot truthfully say I enjoyed this novel, I never felt the father-daughter bond and found the disrespectful and at times rather crude language used toward each other to distract from the author's goal of bonding with her father.
  • Be Good
  • Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America
  • The Last Days Of The Lacuna Cabal
  • Lost in Mongolia: Rafting the World's Last Unchallenged River
  • Just Let Me Lie Down: Necessary Terms for the Half-Insane Working Mom
  • Do-Over!: In Which a Forty-Eight-Year-Old Father of Three Returns to Kindergarten, Summer Camp, the Prom, and Other Embarrassments
  • Lemon