Start by marking “St. Damien of Molokai: Apostle of the Exiled” as Want to Read:
St. Damien of Molokai: Apostle of the Exiled

St. Damien of Molokai: Apostle of the Exiled

How many times do we let the pressures of life and work take over our days at the expense of prayer? How many times do we feel alone and frightened? How many times do we think our problems are unique? Follow in the footsteps of the apostles when they asked Jesus to teach them to pray as he did. Learn from St. Augustine, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Ignatius, St. Teresa of ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Our Sunday Visitor

To ask other readers questions about St. Damien of Molokai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about St. Damien of Molokai

Kelly
Mar 19, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
My latest read for The Catholic Company proved to be both challenging and rewarding. The book was challenging only because of this reader's own personal distractions, which made it very difficult to focus on the historical details that prevailed throughout the first quarter of the book. There is so much that I did not know about the Hawaiian Islands and their history! And there was great reward in learning more about the man who dedicated his final years to ministering to the men, women and ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
Apr 10, 2013 Steven R. McEvoy rated it it was amazing
Father Damien, or Saint Damien of Molokai, was born Jozef De Veuster on January 3rd 1840. He died April 15th 1889 a long way from home on Molokai in Hawaii. He served as a priest in the leper colony for 16 years before he succumbed to the disease. Damien has been canonized in both the Eastern and Latin rites. His feast day is celebrated May 10th. The process of his canonization took from 1977 until 2009.

But you might wonder why, and for me the pursuit of Damien his taken place over the last num
Mary
Mar 03, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Kathy
I became interested in St. Damien from a discussion at church. I knew I wanted to learn more. This book reads more like a novel, great read. Father Damien had constant challenges with the Kings of Hawaii and the Catholic Church his entire time at Molokai. Basically he was left to fend for himself for the community that he was serving and ends of contracting the disease of leposy.An amazing man who gave his life for his community.
Luann
Aug 15, 2015 Luann rated it it was amazing
This book about the unselfish life of Fr. Damien (Joseph) de Veuster is a modern day inspiration paralleling the life of Jesus so completely it beckons us to do more for the very weakest and poor among us. The self reflection I placed upon myself after reading this book was profound. No matter your belief or affliliation this book will humble the soul and challenge us to be better human beings.
Rebecca Fieler
Sep 23, 2011 Rebecca Fieler rated it it was amazing
The book is a well-written biography of a fairly contemporary saint (at least, about as contemporary as you can be and still be a saint). It is inspiring without being too preachy. I would definitely recommend.
Duane Sobczak
Duane Sobczak rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Marie Lemert
Marie Lemert rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Horacio Quezada
Horacio Quezada rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2010
Barbara J Boettger
Barbara J Boettger rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2016
Alan  Loo
Alan Loo rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2009
Darlene Marks
Darlene Marks rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2009
Tiffany L
Tiffany L rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Brittney
Brittney rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Sam Honeycutt
Sam Honeycutt rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2013
Teresa McRae
Teresa McRae rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2010
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2010
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jan 28, 2011
M
M marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2011
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2011
Callie
Callie added it
Jan 19, 2012
Alyssa Rana
Alyssa Rana marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2012
Cmarie
Cmarie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2012
 Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Thad
Thad added it
May 28, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Erika Wold
Erika Wold marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Julie Force
Julie Force marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Cyrena Morris
Cyrena Morris marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Linda Stephen
Linda Stephen is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2016