Start by marking “The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)” as Want to Read:
The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)

The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbooks #3)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The River Cottage farm, established by British food personality Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall to promote high-quality, local, and sustainable food, has inspired a television series, restaurants and classes, and a hit series of books. In this new addition to the award-winning collection, River Cottage baking instructor Daniel Stevens shares his irrepressible enthusiasm and kn ...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Ten Speed Press (first published February 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The River Cottage Bread Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River Cottage Bread Handbook

My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisMom's Island Bakens by Martha Char Love75 Glamorous Rice Dishes by Louisiana State Rice Millin...SPOON by Dana HayThe River Cottage Bread Handbook by Daniel Stevens
Recommended Cookbooklets
5th out of 43 books — 35 voters
I Can Cook "Pastry" by Marika GermanisHealthy Salads by Marika GermanisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelChocolat by Joanne HarrisTurn Here Sweet Corn by Atina Diffley
Great Food Books
7th out of 25 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan
I never thought I'd use the phrase "couldn't put it down" in regards to a cookbook, but I just did.
Susanne Sleep
An excellent introduction to making your own bread. Enough sciencey stuff for the home cook to grab onto without feeling overwhelmed. Lots of clearly written recipes, the photography is simple but lovely and the River Cottage slow living philosophy flows through each page. Most importantly, every bread I have made from this book (so far about half) have been perfect tasting. YUM!
Heather
This is an excellent handbook for the beginning or intermediate bread baker. Has wonderful tips and explanations and techniques and dives into the world of wild yeast. I'll keep this with me from now until forever!! Wonderful reference.
J
The River Cottage Bread Handbook is aptly named. It offers a quick, entertaining delivery of useful information on the essentials of bread making which has become a favorite pastime of mine.

As a reference book, it's not as wordy or philosophical like Peter Reinhart's, Brother Juniper's Bread book, one of my all-time favorites - but its not meant to be. It is a resource to be perused over and over again. It is not as detailed as Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread, and it doesn't need to be. That makes it
Mara Shaw
The first 76 pages of the book are solely about exactly how to make your bread perfect every time with loads of very useful pictures. It changed the way I make bread and I appreciated the thoroughness of the presentation.

Of all of his great take-away tips, my favourite is using a big (clean) trash (rubbish) bag to cover the rising dough instead of clingfilm (Saran Wrap) which must be thrown away every time. The bags can be reused multiple times and don't get stuck like tea towels. (Note: I have
This book has excellent information. As an amateur bread maker, I have read a lot on the basics of bread making, and this book has turned into my bible of bread making. I carry it around my house, reading it when I am not otherwise occupied by my farm/family. The author has an entertaining sense of humor to help grasp the concept of "why" we make certain decisions in the bread making processes. "As there are several billion cells of grain, this is a reproduction rate of which rabbits could only ...more
Daisy
This is a handy book, easy to hold; that is, it's not a coffee-table book so it's more convenient to move around the kitchen. It has a sourdough section which hasn't taught me anything I didn't know (yet) but would be good for a beginner. (It's just that I'm a Tartine Bread disciple.) And it's got lots of tempting recipes and a good section on Buns, Biscuits and Batter Breads which has recipes for crackers, blinis, doughnuts, crumpets. So it's versatile and I'm glad I have it.
Problemchild
Compact, witty and utilitarian, Daniel Stevens is one of the worlds great communicators teaching the basics of this skill in a manner that gives confidence to the novice. This is a cracking read; you'll never go back to commercial bread again.

He proves (forgive the pun) that bread making need not be highly technical or take long. Runny dough? No worries, if you've really got a cock up on your hands get a handful of pasta dura flour and turn it out into soft fluffy ciabattas. His descriptions of
Amelia
This is a nice book in some ways. I loved the tone of the introduction, some of the information, and the range of recipes offered. Then I tried 2 recipes this weekend. I have been baking bread for a couple of years now, and I was a little suspicious of the proportions suggested. Sure enough, these recipes call for way too little liquid and way too much salt, resulting in tough, unpalatable breads.

I think it might be all right if you upped the liquid proportion appropriately and cut the salt in
Nikki
Did a basic bread making course which I enjoyed, brought this book, followed the recipe using steam to make the bread - bread didn't turn out well. Recipe for sour dough starter has too large quantities and recommends throwing half away when 'feeding' it - how wasteful.

I then did an artisan bread making course and got proper instructions for making sour dough starter and sour dough. Other bread making books i have read are far easier to understand than this one. Rather disappointing as i like wa
Tim
One a series of mini books ( in dimension, not content ) by people who have connections with River Cottage, mainly as demonstrators and guest chefs on their training courses.
For anyone who wants to get into baking for the first time or who wants to extend from the basic loaf to something less mundane, this is it. There's also probably something new for experienced bakers too!
Reasonable price, pocket size so you'd find room in the corner of your kitchen, ticks all the boxes.
As all in this series,
Marjanne
There’s some interesting description of technique to making bread. Though it doesn’t say it explicitly, the bread seems more like artisan-style bread, rather than run-of-the-mill white loaves. I like that the author was somewhat thorough in describing how the bread dough should look and feel. There’s a variety of recipes and I especially want to try the sourdough. I’ll probably hold on to this book to try out a couple of the recipes, but I’m not sure it’s something that I feel like I need to own ...more
Libbeth
Apr 04, 2009 Libbeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Oh darn it, they despatched this immediately to my works address, which means it will be sat, tantalizingly, in my in tray until I am back on Friday. I took some time off as I’ve got the builders in. Well, it’s not as if I could be baking in all the mess but at least I could be reading about it.

Finally got my hands on the book and promptly dropped my kitchen scales. Never mind, good excuse to buy the scales, in the shape of a book, that I have had my eye on.

Killthepopular
This book has certainly improved my bread making a lot. It walks you through the bread making process in great detail and explains why and how you do each part.

I'd strongly recommend this book for anyone interested in bread making, but mainly as an eye-opener. In terms of the recipes, the reference element of the book, i wasn't so bothered. Definitely borrow it, but it may or may not be worth actually owning a copy.
Kim Greenhalgh
I have been interested in making my own bread for some time and finally decided to give it a go after reading this book. The first 70 pages or so talk about the science behind bread and demystified the process for me.

I made a few batches and am now hooked! I don't think I will totally replace store-bought bread but this is a yummy alternative. The recipes are very good and well laid out. I highly recommend this book!
MichelleMarie
FINALLY!! I have read a lot a of bread books but this one finally helped me understand the formula for making a good loaf. I can't just follow any recipe to the T. I need room to breathe and make it my own. But you can't do that with bread... or so I thought. This book gave me the basics and what my options were to change it using my kind of lingo eg. "a slug of fat/oil" ... yeah that's how I roll!
Nick
I liked this book as it keeps it simple, I have the US version of the book and found it very easy to follow so I will be buying the UK version soon which will join the rest of my River Cottage Handbook collection 100 out of 100
Brittany
Great recipes and detailed explanations. I particularly found the section on sourdough starters very informative.

Jaq
I loved this book - so simple, and straightforward. It helped demystify the whole back a loaf of bread myself....

Absolutely a must if you're thinking of baking bread at home.

Another one for my to buy list!
The Lotus Eater
I'm up to my elbows in whole wheat flour and I like it! The River Cottage Bread Handbook is comprehensive and elegantly presented. I adore anything by the team and I can't wait to try out Hugh's veg book:)
Harry Rutherford
This seems like a good, clear, thorough practical guide to making bread. I have to admit I haven’t tested it thoroughly, though; I like the idea of making bread more than the reality of it.
Marguerite
The first cookbook I have read cover-to-cover as soon as it arrived in the post. Fantastic recipes and descriptions and you can almost smell the bread from the pages.
Emily
lovely, just lovely, not comprehensive but certainly filled with great images, good basic recipes, another stunner from river cottage
Megan
Okay, so I didn't read the whole thing closely... but my guy did, and he's been baking awesome bread almost every weekend.
Jan
Jan 09, 2013 Jan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: bread
Another book I want to own. Instructions clear. Picture close-ups that are needed for new bread bakers like myself.
Sara
SO much yummy bread!! BUt a little annoying that the "cup" measurement isn't converted into actual numbers...
Colin (Gers)
Still having trouble making good bread.
It's a bit 'hit or miss' for me.
But some good tips in this book.
Desidesi
Desidesi marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • The River Cottage Cookbook
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • The River Cottage Mushroom Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #1)
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • The Handmade Loaf
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • Tartine Bread
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • How to Bake

River Cottage Handbooks (9 books)
  • The River Cottage Mushroom Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #1)
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • Veg Patch (River Cottage Handbook, #4)
  • Edible Seashore (River Cottage Handbook, #5)
  • Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook, #6)
  • Hedgerow (River Cottage Handbook, #7)
  • Cakes (River Cottage Handbook, #8)
  • Fruit (River Cottage Handbook, #9)
Bread (River Cottage Handbook) Ageing Well And Gracefully: How To Slow Down Ageing And Enter Your Golden Years With Grace, Inner Peace And Become More Wise Naturally (age, ageing, golden years, health, fitness, wellness) SEO 2013: Search Engine Optimization Secrets Sit Stay Fetch: Dog Training To Stop Your Dog's Behavior Problems! The Acne Cure Diet: How Eating The Right Food Combination Will Get Rid Of Acne And Change Your Life Forever (self help, acne, skin treatment, skin conditions, diet, health, skin care)