Start by marking “Bedtiming: The Parent’s Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep at Just the Right Age” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When it comes to getting your baby or toddler to sleep through the night, discover why when matters more than how

Are you tired of endless hours spent rocking your baby to sleep? Have you “hit the wall” when it comes to sleepless nights? Teaching your baby or toddler to sleep through the night can be a bewildering and frustrating experience. Developmental psychologists Mar
Published January 12th 2010 by The Experiment (first published February 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bedtiming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtiming

Meg
Thank the gods. Someone finally wrote a non-dogmatic book about baby sleep which is actually HELPFUL.

I love that the author focuses specifically on how development affects the process of helping babies learn to sleep, and also gives a comparison of different sleep training methods with pros and cons of each one.

The developmental stages described here definitely made some sweeping generalizations ("A baby of this age does X") but they overall corresponded very closely to my experience of my baby'
Holly
Dec 23, 2014 Holly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Without taking sides in the endless (and pointless) debate between different sleep training methods, Bedtiming instead tells you when in your baby's life you will have the most success in sleep training, and when not to bother.
Charity Henesy-Brooks
Definitely worth reading. It helped me make a decision regarding sleep training my daughter. It filled in some knowledge gaps left after reading other books.
Rachel
Developmental psychologists Lewis and Granic wrote Bedtiming after they discovered optimal developmental periods to sleep train your child between the ages of 0-4 years (see http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2010/...). So how did they find these periods? Children have similar cognitive development stages at certain ages that correlate with emotional stages. During certain emotional stages children are more vulnerable than others (e.g. separation anxiety). Sleep training your child during the less ...more
Mireille
The research in this book makes so much sense that it's hard to understand why it's not more widely-known. Of course, that may be because it's depressing to be told to "wait it out" when your baby is still having horrendous nights, but she's nine months old and it's the worst period ever for sleep training. (My next kid is so going to get trained at six months. I know that I felt it was too young, three months ago, but with this book, and the knowledge that come 8-9 months I'll be at the end of ...more
Heather
After reading numerous books on various approaches to sleep for infants and young children, this is the book that made them all make sense. The main idea of this book is that, according to current research, ANY of the popular sleep training methods can be appropriate if they are carried through consistently but that much trouble can be spared by applying the method at the right stages of the child's development. The authors identify various developmental stages in the first three years of life a ...more
Louise

I read this book, thinking it would be about different sleep training methods, but that was only chapter 5 of this book. To see what this book is about, you have to look at the title. Bed*timing*. The book divides a child's development into 2-month long windows and tells the reader what's happening neurologically and emotionally in those windows. Then it goes on and describes the pros and cons of sleep training in those windows.

Although it's a short book, I still found it needlessly rep
Helen
The content in this book is great, and there approach to parenting (there are not hard and fast rules, parents know there child best, but let us tell you about some patterns that might be helpful) is lovely. The over view of development and the discussion of the pro's and cons of different approaches were great. Reading this book help me and my wife stop being paralyzed by fear of harming our kids by doing the wrong night time parenting and helped us come up with a plan.

However, although the au
Yu
This book offer a lot information during my son's sleep training. Information is always welcome, a mother's intuition will tell which to follow or even built her own way, for the unique family and little one.
Michelle
I really love that the author of this book does not espouse one form of sleep training over another. Just like most parenting, I don't believe in the one size fits all method. Instead, this book examines children's developmental milestones and juxtaposes those against learning to sleep. It explains why there are many times that are good for learning to sleep alone and others are not. You can choose Ferber or whatever method you want to actually get them to sleep but emphasizes that choosing the ...more
CMT325
This book had some good information on the development of children and when it's a good time to work on sleep routines and how to get a child to sleep. However, the book focused more on WHEN to get them to sleep instead of HOW. Reader should be aware of that when picking the book up.
Meagan
Crazy helpful! I appreciated that you could choose your own method of sleep training and the information on WHEN to sleep train was excellent. It helps to know when 'separation anxiety' is most prevalent and that sleep training will likely be unsuccessful.
Hannah
Jun 17, 2011 Hannah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Caroline!
This is more of a theoretical companion piece to whatever sleep technique you choose to implement with your child, outlining how certain developmental stages might affect your child's ability to sleep through the night. Useful, enlightening and easy to read.
Caroline
This book could have been 25 pages long. Very repetitive, easy to skim. Seems like helpful information. We're waiting another month to really attempt sleep training because of this book, hopefully saving everyone some pain.
Amy
I liked that this book covered a huge spread of developmental stages and used a great, quick reference age chart for best/worst times to green light whatever sleep training you use!
Christine
Everything you need to know about how development affects your child's sleep. Wish I had read this with my first.
Prisca
Prisca is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Guff
Guff marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Aimee
Aimee is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2015
Lamis
Lamis marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Baby Sleep: The Secret to Helping Your Child Sleep Through the Night Emotion, Development, and Self-Organization: Dynamic Systems Approaches to Emotional Development