Start by marking “Bedtiming: The Parent’s Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep at Just the Right Age” as Want to Read:

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
When it comes to getting your baby or toddler to sleep through the night, discover why when matters more than how

Are you tired of endless hours spent rocking your baby to sleep? Have you “hit the wall” when it comes to sleepless nights? Teaching your baby or toddler to sleep through the night can be a bewildering and frustrating experience. Developmental psychologists Mar
Published January 12th 2010 by The Experiment (first published February 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bedtiming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtiming

Meg
Mar 13, 2011 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, health
Thank the gods. Someone finally wrote a non-dogmatic book about baby sleep which is actually HELPFUL.

I love that the author focuses specifically on how development affects the process of helping babies learn to sleep, and also gives a comparison of different sleep training methods with pros and cons of each one.

The developmental stages described here definitely made some sweeping generalizations ("A baby of this age does X") but they overall corresponded very closely to my experience of my baby'
Mireille
Sep 16, 2012 Mireille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The research in this book makes so much sense that it's hard to understand why it's not more widely-known. Of course, that may be because it's depressing to be told to "wait it out" when your baby is still having horrendous nights, but she's nine months old and it's the worst period ever for sleep training. (My next kid is so going to get trained at six months. I know that I felt it was too young, three months ago, but with this book, and the knowledge that come 8-9 months I'll be at the end of ...more
Holly
Dec 23, 2014 Holly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Without taking sides in the endless (and pointless) debate between different sleep training methods, Bedtiming instead tells you when in your baby's life you will have the most success in sleep training, and when not to bother.
Charity Henesy-Brooks
Jul 21, 2013 Charity Henesy-Brooks rated it really liked it
Definitely worth reading. It helped me make a decision regarding sleep training my daughter. It filled in some knowledge gaps left after reading other books.
Rachel
May 27, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting-etc
Developmental psychologists Lewis and Granic wrote Bedtiming after they discovered optimal developmental periods to sleep train your child between the ages of 0-4 years (see http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2010/...). So how did they find these periods? Children have similar cognitive development stages at certain ages that correlate with emotional stages. During certain emotional stages children are more vulnerable than others (e.g. separation anxiety). Sleep training your child during the less ...more
Heather
Jan 23, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
After reading numerous books on various approaches to sleep for infants and young children, this is the book that made them all make sense. The main idea of this book is that, according to current research, ANY of the popular sleep training methods can be appropriate if they are carried through consistently but that much trouble can be spared by applying the method at the right stages of the child's development. The authors identify various developmental stages in the first three years of life a ...more
Jacquie
Apr 21, 2016 Jacquie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is my favorite kind of baby sleep book, as it presents the pros and cons of several different methods of sleep training while supporting parents in choosing what is right for their family. It's a quick read, though I may have quickly skimmed the sections that don't quite pertain to me right now. I'll just reread this book when the time comes.
Louise
Oct 18, 2013 Louise rated it it was ok

I read this book, thinking it would be about different sleep training methods, but that was only chapter 5 of this book. To see what this book is about, you have to look at the title. Bed*timing*. The book divides a child's development into 2-month long windows and tells the reader what's happening neurologically and emotionally in those windows. Then it goes on and describes the pros and cons of sleep training in those windows.

Although it's a short book, I still found it needlessly rep
A
Jan 27, 2016 A rated it liked it
The only thing I liked about this book was the psychological approach and helping me understand what my baby is going through at different stages of his life. The advice to sleep train... not so much. But then again, I'm pro-attachment parenting.
Helen
Mar 07, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
The content in this book is great, and there approach to parenting (there are not hard and fast rules, parents know there child best, but let us tell you about some patterns that might be helpful) is lovely. The over view of development and the discussion of the pro's and cons of different approaches were great. Reading this book help me and my wife stop being paralyzed by fear of harming our kids by doing the wrong night time parenting and helped us come up with a plan.

However, although the au
Yu
Jun 12, 2015 Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book offer a lot information during my son's sleep training. Information is always welcome, a mother's intuition will tell which to follow or even built her own way, for the unique family and little one.
Michelle
May 23, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
I really love that the author of this book does not espouse one form of sleep training over another. Just like most parenting, I don't believe in the one size fits all method. Instead, this book examines children's developmental milestones and juxtaposes those against learning to sleep. It explains why there are many times that are good for learning to sleep alone and others are not. You can choose Ferber or whatever method you want to actually get them to sleep but emphasizes that choosing the ...more
CMT325
May 20, 2011 CMT325 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some good information on the development of children and when it's a good time to work on sleep routines and how to get a child to sleep. However, the book focused more on WHEN to get them to sleep instead of HOW. Reader should be aware of that when picking the book up.
Meagan
Mar 12, 2012 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crazy helpful! I appreciated that you could choose your own method of sleep training and the information on WHEN to sleep train was excellent. It helps to know when 'separation anxiety' is most prevalent and that sleep training will likely be unsuccessful.
Hannah
Jun 17, 2011 Hannah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Caroline!
This is more of a theoretical companion piece to whatever sleep technique you choose to implement with your child, outlining how certain developmental stages might affect your child's ability to sleep through the night. Useful, enlightening and easy to read.
Caroline
Jul 12, 2011 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: babies
This book could have been 25 pages long. Very repetitive, easy to skim. Seems like helpful information. We're waiting another month to really attempt sleep training because of this book, hopefully saving everyone some pain.
Amy
Dec 08, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
I liked that this book covered a huge spread of developmental stages and used a great, quick reference age chart for best/worst times to green light whatever sleep training you use!
Christine
May 30, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need to know about how development affects your child's sleep. Wish I had read this with my first.
Marjorie Strafford
Marjorie Strafford rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Rui
Rui marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Kendra
Kendra is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Ligia
Ligia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Kitkat
Kitkat rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2016
Colleen Ghoghawala
Colleen Ghoghawala rated it did not like it
Mar 12, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016