The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes #11)

The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes #11)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  639 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Published by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1892)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleA Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Sign of Four by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Elementary, My Dear Holmes
41st out of 136 books — 103 voters
Love, Life and Everything Else by Xunaira J.The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan PoeCyborg Spell Shop by James ChalkPapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVorThe Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe
Single Short Story
96th out of 252 books — 159 voters

More lists with this book...

Rao Umar
Yet again Sherlock is being challenged to illuminate some mayhem but this time a very rare object will lead to the conclusion!

As the story takes part in winter and there is a hell of a snow but nothing can shatter the sprite of Sherlock unless it is some sought of lack of data.

The story deals will a lot of themes like love, trust, distrust, treachery, loathsome and a silence! Indeed silence is the thing that made Sherlock vies through a hell of an exertion but in spite of the silence Sherlock u...more
Nina
Reminded me a bit of The Boscombe Valley Mystery in that there was an obvious suspect that only Holmes believed wasn't the guilty one. Very enjoyable and nicely put together.
Williams
My problem with this story was that it offered some clues, but the most important ones were only mentioned once in Homes' conclusion at the end (all the footprints,..).
I knew right from the start who stole it, but couldn't conclude more than that because of too few information.
Kemal Maulana
One of the best stories along with The Speckled Band, I must say. I really admire how Holmes came into conclusion mostly by examining footprints. I also like how love drove the characters to do what they did in the story. Such a great and enjoyable read.
Dan Wilson
This one had more complexity to it than the other Sherlock Holmes short stories so far--more characters, more suspects, more clues, more red herrings, more possible explanations and outcomes.
Belli
The suspect is always the least expected ones !
حسام عادل
مغامرة فائقة الإمتاع..استغل فيها (هولمز) كل خبرته وحدسه وذكائه الخارق فى إثبات براءة متهم كتوم يحمي عائلته من الفضيحة والعار.
أعجبتني القصة جداً خاصة أنها تحمل رائحة مشابهة لقضية (بوسكومب) السابقة,والتى - كتلك القضية - كان المتهم فيها برىء يتحمل الذنب بنُبل تام بدلاً من غيره,وخالف (هولمز) فيها بدوره الظنون المثارة حول المتهم - رغم وقوعه فى يد الشرطة - وأثبت برائته الكاملة مع عدم افتضاح أمر عائلته ومن يتستر عنهم.
أعتقد أن تلك القضية إحدى القضايا المميزة والبارزة فى المجموعة ككل.
Tuqa Al-khashman
looovvve ittt ♥♥
Edelhart Kempeneers
Dit verhaal vond ik echt wel leuk, wellicht omdat ik behoorlijk snel wist hoe de vork in de steel zat :-)
Emily
There is nothing bad to say about any of Doyle's short stories
Joanne G.
Arthur is found red-handed with the stolen coronet, and only Sherlock believes him to be innocent. Arthur stoically takes the blame in order to spare one he loves. Although the guilty parties slip through Holmes' hands, he restores Arthur's good name, if not his broken heart.
Collin A.
I felt this one was somewhat lackluster in comparison to some of Holmes's other adventures. Although the scenario was devoid of much action and suspense, it was comical to read the opening characterization of Mr. Holder. Not one of my favorites but an average story.
Paul
Really enjoyed this one!
Ragne
Ah, the time of gentlemen, where you do everything you can to avoid a family scandal. If it had been today, the Sun would probably have known the story from the beginning, and rejoiced in the opportunity to destroy a man's reputation.
Lisa
Feb 02, 2013 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
I now know what a beryl is.

Holmes bugs me a bit because there are very few clues laid, so the reader has no possibility of figuring out what happened. But, for listening to while I'm working around the house, it isn't bad.
Erin
I liked that his story had so many intricate details. Personally, I dislike Doyle's stories that don't offer many clues to the readers, but this was had so many details it was fun to hear how it all happened.
Becky
Pretty good mystery... kinda saw the ending coming, but I enjoyed the "chase". I also laughed at the image of Holmes clocking the bad guy upside the head with a pistol. He's a crack up :)
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:

Who has stolen jewels from one of the treasures of the Empire? The detective investigates snowy Streatham. With Clive Merrison.
Kassady
Very entertaining, and I had no idea who was the suspect until the end, I love it how Doyle does that!
Jeff Yoak
An average to average plus Holmes short story. At least by the end, much of his logic is exposed.
Taiyewo
Didn't see this ending coming. I liked this book a lot. Especially the twist with the betrayal.
3.5
I liked the ending to this one and the family dynamics :)
Interesting, but predictable.
K
Best of the best. Very clear
Geri
Damn I did not expect that!
Esraa Samir
Esraa Samir marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway and Other Stories
  • The Thing on the Doorstep (Fantasy and Horror Classics)
  • Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes And The Hentzau Affair (Tales Of Mystery & The Supernatural)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. 1 (V for Vendetta, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Plague of Dracula
  • The Works Of Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion)
  • The Army of Dr. Moreau
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 3  (The Search, #3)
  • Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Song of Songs: A New Translation
  • Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes (Arsène Lupin, #2)
  • The Walking Dead, Issue #21
  • Answers To Prayer
  • The Treason of Isengard (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Wonderful Spirit Filled Life
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record...more
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II