Start by marking “Louder Than Words: Take Your Career from Average to Exceptional with the Hidden Power of Nonverbal Intelligence” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  26 reviews
International bestselling author and behavior expert Joe Navarro helps you successfully navigate the business world by understanding what your boss and coworkers are really thinking.

Why is it that some people have all the elements of success—education, skills, integrity, motivation—but can't seem to move from effectiveness to excellence in their careers? Behavior expert Jo...more
Published February 16th 2010 by HarperBusiness (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Louder Than Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louder Than Words

Gary
This book is a great follow-up to "What Every Body is Saying", but don't read this one until you've read the first one. "Louder" builds on the ideas presented in the first book and applies them to a business setting (it's still very interesting, even if you're not reading it for business). I got the enhanced media version for the iBook reader, which included several videos from the author, which was well worth the extra cost.
Annie
If you've read the author's other book "What Every BODY Is Saying," you'll find some repetition in the beginning of this book. This book is exactly what its title purport it to be - take your career from average to exceptional. Many of the observations that the author makes about businesses and individuals are obvious, like customers get upset when there's only one cashier to handle a long line and when another worker is called, the worker strolls to his station. Managers should be training thei...more
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Louder than Words by Joe Navarro (with Toni Sciarra Poynter)

Joe Navarro, born 1953 is an author, public speaker and ex-FBI agent. He specializes in the area of nonverbal communication or body language and has authored the following books
• Advanced Interviewing Techniques; Proven Strategies for Law Enforcement, Military, and Security Personnel.
• Hunting Terrorists: A Look at The Psychopathology of Terror.
• Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Pok...more
Starfire
Very well written book on non-verbal communication in the workplace; although I possibly didn't enjoy it quite as much as Mr Navarro's first book, What Every Body is Saying. He definitely knows his stuff when it comes to behavioural analysis (as well he should, given his background), and I like the balance he brings to his interpretations and the way he focusses on the body language of comfort/discomfort, as compared to that of truth and deception.

My one criticism would be that he makes some pre...more
Clark Hays
Like a decoder ring for people

The author, Joe Navarro, was an FBI profiler with a tremendous track record of spotting the various nonverbal cues that indicate someone is lying or concealing their true motives. He turns his talents to providing insights and strategies that can be used in day to day life. Specifically, the information he presents is useful for navigating the corporate world and making the most of interactions with co-workers and bosses. I learned a lot from it and, at least for th...more
William Murray
I have Asperger's Syndrome and this book has pointed me in directions that for many might be commonsense, but isn't for me. Already some of the ideas presented have yielded positive results as I implement them. Topics are covered in detail and broken down by chapters. Highly recommended for others with Asperger's.
Kathy
Body language - whether we know it or not, we're sending our peers a message without even saying a word. That's what former federal agent Joe Navarro explains in this guide to nonverbal cues. The position of your feet, how you sit in your chair, and the small details in your choice of clothing speak volumes about you.

While reading this book, I would go to work the next day and see if I could pick out any of the nonverbals Navarro writes about. And I am also conscious if I am displaying one of th...more
Gregory
Nice follow up book to the author's previous two titles.

Some excellent pointers around base lining between comfort and discomfort parameters in those you are speaking with. I particularly enjoyed the discussion of "happy feet" telling us where others intentions are truly pointed.

One other interesting piece is the positioning of the thumbs outside the pocket with the palm inserted into the pocket. Per Mr. Navarro this is usually indicative of someone who feels superior to you. I work in a hospit...more
Harry Roger Williams III
On page 200 in a section that begins on page 199, “Address Emotions, But Don’t Indulge Them,” Navarro writes “Misery really does love company: excessive emoters distract others, focusing attention on themselves, as coworkers feel they must demonstrate empathy and solidarity. Work is disrupted, and others may even act on the beleaguered employee’s behalf to try to fix things. Not surprisingly, this further entrenches the behavior.” This kind of insight and wise counsel elevates this book far abov...more
CS
I like this book, although the first part is repeating the content of another book "What everybody is saying", which is about observing body language and micro expression, the second part is about how to put it to good use in work life. This is not about detecting deception, but rather be more sensitive to discovering discomfort among co-workers, business partners and customers. Nowing others' nonverbal language will give us a competitive edge when dealing with people.
Efi
This is my first VOOK that I bought from iTunes. I watched the videos (one for each chapter) but I must say that it was not what I expected. It was about non verbal communication and mostly decoding body language.
I was not happy for the money I spent. And since I don't have an iPad, I am not going to read the text on my iPhone hoping that it has more juice to it.
So I won't rate this one
Alex
Decent overview of nonverbal communication, with clear markers and the rationales behind them.
Meredith
Solid, usable information with a nice twist on the usual "get an edge over everybody" message common in this genre. This is reflected in the author's parting words: "It is my hope that you will have a greater appreciation for nonverbal intelligence and use it as intended: to read, understand, assist and positively influence others."
Robert B
“Take Your Career from Average to Exceptional with the Hidden Power of Nonverbal Intelligence.” Covers not just how to read nonverbal signals but also includes a good bit about being successful – dressing well, etc. His approach to nonverbal communication is rather sensible – focus on signs of comfort and discomfort.
Cheska
Quick read, but contains very basic concepts. Author often refers to another book, "What Every Body Is Saying", which I think defeats the purpose of reading *this* book. Other than that, I did pick up some interesting tips and found myself enjoying observing other people!
Semiophrenic
Surprisingly, in this book Navarro does not repeat himself from his previous books. He talks about nonverbal intelligence and praises the gladwellian thin slice assessment. There are some dubious topics (verbal mirroring, oxytocin, etc.), but otherwise it's a pretty good read.
Adam
A few pointers I could use. Overall not special. Fairly basic observations. The author's picture on the back jacket cover is a lot of what he tells you not to do. Sneering type look I think was supposed to be tough and respectful came over to me as condescending.
Cindy Reilly
Great parlor game for the office! All kidding aside, this is an interesting and quick read. Good refresher course in interpreting people's body language, which tells you volumes, even when they aren't speaking. Great reminder that your body is doing the same!
Ron
I read this during the summer to better prepare for interviews and increase my ability to read non-verbal cues. It was a great suggestion by a close friend but it is very much geared towards business settings, but a very practical tool.
Keith Brooks
Rehash of his other work or just parallel ideas. Still great for people who do not see or hear these things.
Adrian R
Brilliant, insightful and a must read for every working person, regardless of whether one is an entry level customer service professional or C level exec.
Sally Khoo
I hope I can remember everything the author said and practice in life seamlessly! I felt the warmth (caring) from the author via his wording.
Jaime
Good, but to learn all of these tips I'd have to read it a few times and review. Follows a lot of the same ideas as the TV show Lie to Me.
Suzanne
May 11, 2010 Suzanne added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
One of the those non-fiction books that I brows through and pick out what I'm interested in reading
Adam
Fantastic book on reading body language and presenting oneself non-verbally.
Mohamed Abo elnil
very nice book
Jasmin Begic
Jasmin Begic marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Alessa
Alessa added it
Sep 21, 2014
Onyxx
Onyxx added it
Sep 14, 2014
  • You Say More Than You Think: Use the New Body Language to Get What You Want!, The 7-Day Plan
  • Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Clues
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Willful Blindness: Why we ignore the obvious at our peril
  • Choke: What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal About Getting It Right When You Have To
  • I Live in the Future & Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain Are Being Creatively Disrupted
  • Better by Mistake: The Unexpected Benefits of Being Wrong
  • How to Get Your Point Across in 30 Seconds or Less
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • The Smart Swarm: How Understanding Flocks, Schools, and Colonies Can Make Us Better at Communicating, Decision Making, and Getting Things Done
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • The Real Book of Real Estate: Real Experts. Real Stories. Real Life.
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • The Answer: Grow Any Business, Achieve Financial Freedom, and Live an Extraordinary Life
  • The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It, How to Get It Back
  • Why Mars and Venus Collide
  • Ah-Choo!: The Uncommon Life of Your Common Cold
  • An American Caddie in St. Andrews: Growing Up, Girls, and Looping on the Old Course
Joe Navarro is an author, public speaker and ex-FBI agent. Navarro specializes in the area of nonverbal communication or body language and has authored numerous books.
More about Joe Navarro...
What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People Phil Hellmuth Presents Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells Body Language Essentials How to Spot a Borderline Personality The Psychology of Body Language