Pas de Deux

Pas de Deux

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Hotshot defense attorney James Scott isn’t afraid of following his gut instinct. Even when his gut tells him that the man everybody knows is guilty is not only innocent, but a victim himself. A notorious media darling, he’s got an irresistible charm that always seems to undermine his strategic mind. Homicide detective Owen Duke dislikes him before they meet. Duke doesn’t h...more
Published October 2009 by Amber Allure

To ask other readers questions about Pas de Deux, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pas de Deux

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonAdrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
102nd out of 481 books — 455 voters
Zero at the Bone by Jane SevilleTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonLove & Loyalty by Tere MichaelsI'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal Rose
Best M/M Romance Published in 2009
87th out of 195 books — 398 voters

More lists with this book...

ElaineY
REVIEW OF REREAD 7 APRIL 2013:
I couldn't recall a thing when I picked this for my next reread but ended up liking this even more than what my first review indicates:)

I have no complaints at all about the murder mystery. I didn't think it was underdeveloped. On the contrary, I thought this is one of the most balanced romance/mystery stories I've read. This is saying something because the previous reread I picked, Mexican Heat (my supposed top MM RS) was a dnf! Perhaps because I could remember mos...more
Betryal
Great story and great storyline, and don't get me wrong but I thoroughly enjoy the man on man sex which is why I read these books :snickering: but this one lost the five star rating because for me there was way too many pages of sex scenes that I felt could have been used for more action in the story other than in the bedroom.

Kris
The Tasting:

Why I bought it:

I think (?) I bought this during an ARe sale. Seems to be a common theme with me. *coughbookslutcough*

Dislike/like (ending on a high note):

Dislike~ More of a warning~ You learn relatively early who the baddie is likely to be. This can be hit or miss with me as I generally prefer to find out 'whodunnit' myself or at the end of the book. It worked in this instance because the authors - yep, it's two authors, one pseud - continued to lead the reader through the discovery...more
Chris
Wow! This m/m romance about a cop and a lawyer (seemingly on opposing sides of a high-profile case) was suspenseful and intense. Highly recommended.
Ayu Puspita Sari
2,5 stars.

This book way too short for my liking to deepen any intention the author's going to present. The romance is hot and nice, and that was one of the plus point in this story, but it seems to fast by my own standard. The chemistry was built enough, but the pace of their moves is still too fast to my own liking. Yet the mystery seems like covered by the romance I would say that this just romance than thriller--I mean, three sex scene covering about 100 pages all after almost 30 pages just t...more
Trisha Harrington
I really thought this was a great book. It had an interesting plot and James and Owen were great characters. I loved the way at first Owen hated James but eventually had to admit he was right. They were both very confident characters apart from when they were around each other. The pace was slow in reading terms but it was only a matter of days in the book. The criminals were not always the criminals and the good guys were not always good. The corruption side to the plot was very interesting but...more
Wren
Oct 17, 2009 Wren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Mystery/Suspense. Atty James Scott takes on a pro bono case for a man (Hector) charged with murder but who James thinks is innocent. The detective newly assigned to the case is Owen Duke. James convinces Owen that Hector is innocent, and together they find out the real culprit. Meanwhile, they fall in love. Good storytelling. Likeable and able characters, smart and honest. Slow buildup to the sex but lots after that.
Feliz
The romance was fine and the MC's realistic and likable. for once, the guys had real jobs and real job issues- even though the quick (professional)union of a cop and a defense attorney required some suspension of disbelief. I thout them well- drawn, finally guys who talk like guys and act as such without morphing to grunting Neanderthals in the process.
Lily
Prominent attorney James Scott takes on the case of a young man accused of murder on a 'gut feeling' he has that Hector Young is innocent. Soon he's dealing with one of the cities best police detectives, Owen Duke, whose job it is to help put Hector away. Owen Duke is a by the book detective and when things start to not add up they'll need to work together to make sure an innocent man doesn't end up on death row.

I enjoyed this entertaining mystery/suspense story. James and Owen are well written...more
Meggie
This is a fine, even HOT, romance between two interesting characters, homicide detective Owen Duke and defense attorney James Scott. I liked both MC, just their sex scenes were a bit to long, at the middle I simply started to skip them and focused only on the main storyline, which made it better.
momokaachan
Mar 25, 2011 momokaachan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to momokaachan by: Those who like m-m, especially whodunits
Shelves: mm
I originally gave this read 4 stars and then changed my mind. Why? Because I absolutely agree with some of the other reviews that this read is outstanding for at least two reasons.

1) Solid, believable main characters, neither one of which is angst-ing about being gay, being attracted to men. Oh, yes, and let's put in that neither one of the guys is afraid to make a move without the other one. Thank you, Jamie Craig!

2) An engrossing plot. Yes, it becomes obvious fairly early who the bad guy is, b...more
Angel Pedroza
I enjoyed the chemistry between the two main characters. The mystery was not the main focus of this book, it was the romance.
Mitabird (reviews on BookLikes)

This is one of the better m/m romances that I've read. I really liked Duke and Scott and thought they complimented each other well. Though they worked for opposite teams, Duke's a cop and Scott is a defense lawyer, they were able to put their differences aside and work together. I thought the mystery was pretty good up until it was revealed. I liked the build-up and suspense, but when it came time to tell the reader what happened, I felt that it was kind of brushed aside. It was a bit d...more
Sandy Nguyen
I like the first half better. Looks like they do spend time working on the case and the conversations are very enjoyable. But after their "get together", the story seems to go down the road and the connections falling apart. The end is kinda rushed and it's a "happy for now" rather than "happy forever".

I like Duke better and I really enjoy reading about how Scott reacts to him. I find the "2 months apart" quite ridiculous and the way Scott talking so casually about Ben annoying.

Julie
I kept hoping it would get better, but both characters were so full of themselves that reading their banter was like pulling teeth. Actually, it was worse. And the writing style was muddled and overcomplicated in attempt, it seems, to make the MCs appear smarter than they were. It failed. What I particularly didn't like were things like "there was obvious intelligence behind the words". There really wasn't. They were both arrogant and vain bastards that I couldn't bring myself to care about.
Enny
This book was a nice romance with a good mystery thrown in but But I found the fact that both characters have last names that could also be first names and that the authors switched between first and last names all the time rather distracting. Pas de Deux lost another star when they used olive oil as a lube with condoms. Either have safe sex or don't bother but this was just plain lazy writing.
Andy
I found the characters highly likable, the writing impressive - it just flowed and suited me perfectly. I found myself grinning at different parts in the story, which for me marks a fairly decent read. I'm not sure if I can say much else. It's a good read, and I think you should read it! :)
Alicia
I enjoyed this, but there really wasn't enough conflict and tension for me. I wasn't able to really connect with either of the MC's, so I didn't really feel like I got to know them very well. But I did like the plot, even though it was pretty predictable.
MsMiz (Tina)
3.5 really - good story - the plot was easy to figure out and I was expecting a bit more subterfuge based on the title. Overall the characters were easy to like and murder mystery was decent enough to want to read to the end.

Lynnebaby
3.5 stars. It was very well written and kept me entertained. I like the intrigue as well as the characters and the pace of the development of the relationship.
Nancy L
4.5 stars. I liked the buildup for the relationship and the case they worked on. Reminds me of all those Law and Order shows...
Mary Ellen
Solid book, but not my favorite by this author.
Little
Enjoyed it.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Cecilia Rodriguez is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • In Hot Pursuit
  • Personal Demons
  • A Forest of Corpses (Geography of Murder, #2)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Don't Look Back
  • Sins of Arrogance (Creatures of Sin, #1)
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
  • The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)
  • No Good Deed
  • Unspeakable Words
  • Ice Cream on the Side
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • Trust Me (Cover Me, #2)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
Jamie Craig is actually a pen name for the collaboration of authors
Vivien Dean http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... and
Pepper Espinoza http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

ABOUT JAMIE CRAIG

Vivien Dean and Pepper Espinoza have been writing and publishing together as Jamie Craig since 2006. They have published with Juno Books, Samhain Publishing, Liquid Silver Books, and multiple titles wit...more
More about Jamie Craig...
Outcast Mine Master Of Obsidian (Master Chronicles, #1) Stealing West Word on a Wing Brindisi Bedfellows