Start by marking “Leon and the Place Between” as Want to Read:
Leon and the Place Between

Leon and the Place Between

"Angela McAllister and Grahame Baker-Smith’s stunning picture book combines shadowy collage, painting, photography, and gilding to overwhelm readers with the power of magic." — THE TIMES (London)

Leon and his brothers and sister go to a magic show, but this is no ordinary show and Abdul Kazam is no ordinary magician. Take a journey right through the die-cut pages of this bo
Published August 25th 2009 by Templar (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Leon and the Place Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leon and the Place Between

Mel Jennings
Oct 25, 2011 Mel Jennings rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated book will leave every child wide eyed and amazed. This is truly a brilliant book that takes children on a magical journey with Leon, the main character who makes you feel that magical things will happen if you believe. It is about a young boy who visits the circus with his brother and sister, however they are not impressed with the acts and think that it is make believe. Leon, however does believe and is choosen by the magician to be part of the act. He travels to ...more
Jayne
Sep 12, 2011 Jayne rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful and imaginative book, with exceptional illustrations. The front cover in itself would be enough to draw children in as it is laced with gold artwork and reveals the magical theme that runs throughout. It follows a young boy named Leon who is fascinated by magic and the circus. He attempts to convince his rather cynical friends that magic is real, and it is revealed to the reader through various pictures, the detailed font and elaborate graphic detail. Leon enters ‘The Place ...more
Samantha
Jan 29, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I dont normally add or review childrens books, but i had to with this one. My little boy is taking part in a summer reading challenge with the library and this book is one of the few we've chosen so far.
We loved it! The story is really sweet, its about believing in magic. Which i personally loved because im all about kids being kids and holding onto the magic for as long as possible!
The main thing that stands out with this book is the illustrations. They are without doubt the most beautiful ive
Carmen Coppola
Sep 17, 2015 Carmen Coppola rated it really liked it
The art in this book is absolutely phenomenal. Each page was created with such care that it's a wonder that this isn't in a museum somewhere. The story is basic leaving you wanting more, but it is a picture book. The art makes up for the lackluster plot by a mile.
ESF Tsing Yi
This is truly a magical book - beautifully layered illustrations and a story to unlock the imagination! More of a K2 story, and one that celebrates the power of belief. Leon and his family go to a circus, but his brothers and sisters think the magician is just performing tricks. Leon knows better, and goes on a stunning journey to The Place Between, in a story that celebrates the imagination.
Amy
Jun 28, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Leon and the Place Between provides a visual reading experience suitable for children across Primary Key Stages. The book centres on the themes of magic, belief and fantasy, with Leon and his siblings visiting a magic show, but only Leon believes that magic is real. Although the story is told through minimal text, the vibrant illustrations, fonts and descriptions of the book create a world of magic, using layers to build the idea of illusion and concealment. As a result, the book works as a ...more
Mahima Elango
Jan 28, 2013 Mahima Elango rated it really liked it
Leon and the place between is about a boy named Leon and his family who go to the circus where magician Abdul Kazam is performing. Leon desperately wants to prove to his family that magic exists so volunteers to be part of a magic trick. Leon then gets transported to another world called the place between which consists of doves, magic card tricks and magic carpets.

This book allows children to explore their own imaginations as it lets them question what the place between really is. The illustrat
Steve Bryans
Jun 14, 2012 Steve Bryans rated it really liked it
Leon and the Place Between is a beautifully imaginative book, with exceptional illustrations. It draws children in with its front cover laced with gold artwork creating a magical theme. The story follows a young boy named Leon who is fascinated by magic and the circus. He attempts to convince his cynical friends that magic is real. Leon enters ‘The Place Inbetween’ where all the magic is stored and he finds himself surrounded by everything that is magical, from white rabbits to floating card ...more
Romaine
Oct 05, 2011 Romaine rated it it was amazing
The bright colours and the artistic display of the pages draws you in instantly. Leon and his brother have gone to see a magic show. Leon loves magis his brothers doesn't. Leon fortunately gets called by the magician to be his volunteer this brings leon joy and soon he is transfered to the place between. Each page of the book represent clear;y what the words are saying. This book is great to help childrne to connect visually with words. It is great for children from the age of 3 to enjoy but to ...more
Tatiana
The main attraction of this luxurious picture book are the illustrations, painstakingly created by Grahame Baker-Smith. The fonts are reminiscent of a time that no longer exists, magic shows and circus acts that spellbind children that still believe in the power of imagination and unseen possibilities. You cannot help but run your hands over the book as each page contains unique beauty, almost as if they could leap off into our world - or vice-versa.

Highly recommended for lovers of the circus an
Chris Austin
Mar 21, 2016 Chris Austin rated it really liked it
A really well thought out book, I think this picture book is put together with such precision.

The language and illustrations used throughout offer a lot of opportunities for exploration with children.

The storyline is good, it follows a young boy who believes in magic and is reward for his belief.

I feel the gap in the storyline is what is happening whilst Leon is inside the box, would be a good activity to do with the children.

Karen
Jun 25, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt the most visually stunning children's picture book I've ever seen; I'm quite happy to be reading this every night just now. Have had to adjust my reading to make Abdul Kazam a little less menacing though, as Kirsten told me she was "scared of the bad man when it got dark" the other night. Oops.
S
Jan 17, 2010 S rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations, sweet story! I read this to my two boys and they loved it. The type changes much like one of those old theatre posters- a bit dfficult to read the first time, but easy enough to understand after that. Even my 7yr old had no problems reading the book.
Claire
Oct 04, 2009 Claire rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle grades. stunning illustrations
Have you wondered, "Where do people go in between when a magician disappears them and reappears them on stage?"
Now we know. Leon shows us the magical place in between. Fabulous illustrations will enthrall readers as they consider Leon's adventure in the place in between.
Katie
Sep 27, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
I was SO EXCITED about this book, and its stunning collage illustrations, but then it turned into a "Look at the mystical Middle Eastern magician guy with a devious pointy mustache!" situation, and I was not excited any longer. Boo, Angela McAllister. Weird, racist stereotypes for the lose.
Marie
Apr 19, 2011 Marie rated it it was amazing
Wow...for us this book was magical - one can see why it got shortlisted for the Kate Greenaway Medal. Have you ever wondered what happens to the things that disappear during a magic show? Wonder no more...
Beverly
Feb 19, 2014 Beverly rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Interesting, surreal story with very busy, collage artwork; so that there is a lot for a child to pore over in the illustrations.
Jodie
Jul 31, 2012 Jodie rated it really liked it
First of all, the pictures create the mood for this story of magic. There is lots to take in on many of the pages. The story is a fun read that will take readers on a magical adventure.
Alfajirikali
Nov 02, 2009 Alfajirikali rated it it was ok
We enjoyed the premise of the story and the illustrations, but the ever-changing type was really distracting, and it was especially noticeable as it was being read aloud.
Garren
May 25, 2016 Garren rated it did not like it
Deserves a prize for worst typesetting in a children's book. Bonus prize for "orientalism" in the bad sense.
Cbphoenix
Oct 07, 2016 Cbphoenix rated it it was amazing
One of the most artistically stunning books to come along in a very long time. You have to see this book! It's a kid's book, but don't let that stop you from enjoying it.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Tega
Tega rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Zach
Zach rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2010
Miriam
Oct 27, 2014 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Would've been better as an animated short.
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
Brandy Rivers
Aug 10, 2010 Brandy Rivers rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful picture books that I have ever seen! Every child should read this one...
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Angela McAllister has written over thirty children's books. She lives in Hampshire with her husband and their two children, who are often the inspiration for her stories.
More about Angela McAllister...