Start by marking “The Snow Queen” as Want to Read:
The Snow Queen

The Snow Queen

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A young girl embarks on an epic quest to save the boy she loves in one of the most stirring of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales.

After her friend Kay is stolen from their village, Gerda travels through the days, the months, the years, and the confusion of the world, searching for him. Finally she reaches a palace where the beautiful Snow Queen has Kay locked in the chi
Published October 1st 1993 by Candlewick Press (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Queen

Simona
Rating: 5+/5

În vale, sălbatic crește trandafirul;
Iar copiii se joacă întreaga zi -
Și printre ei, Iisul copilul.

Dacă până acum nu ați reținut că îmi plac cărțile pentru copii, ei bine, reîntăresc aceast detaliu! :-) Am avut norocul de a facere o alegere de milioane în această perioadă prin lecturarea cărții Crăiasa-Zăpezii de Hans Christian Andersen, apărută la Editura Arthur. Sunt extrem de fericită pentru că am citit această carte minunată care a intrat deja în topul favoritelor mele!

Sunt si
Tarissa
Dec 10, 2015 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wintry fairy-tale, written by the time-honored Hans Christian Andersen.

Fans of Frozen may enjoy it, although the story is quite different from the movie. Personally, I also found resemblances to C.S. Lewis's The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe -- especially Edmund's encounter with the White Witch has similar spiritual similarities.

A excellent, classic children's story -- to be enjoyed by all.
Arlenis
Un pequeño cuento de esos que siempre te relatan tus padres o abuelos cuando eres un niño. Muy lindo sin duda y con una gran enseñanza. Entretenido como casi todos los cuentos de Andersen.
Lauren
Kay and Gerda are best friends living in a magical world inhabited by a Snow Queen. When Kay’s heart is pierced by a splinter from an enchanted mirror, he is suddenly unable to see the good in anyone. Shortly thereafter, he is kidnapped by the Snow Queen and carried away from his best friend. Little Gerda then takes off on a mission to bring Kay back home, encountering royalty, talking flowers, and highway robbers on her adventure.

So this past weekend, I was finishing up a few books when I real
Anna Kļaviņa
The Snow Queen. Hans Christian Andersen by Naomi Lewis has very beautiful illustrations but is not as good adapted/translated as The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen this one. The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen is superior when it comes to the translation.

The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen is short retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale.
Erinn Batykefer
Meh. some of the drawings were lovely, but the re-telling itself was hamfisted and went off on ridiculous tangents. All sorts of useless storylines and characters! And the moment at the end when Gerda finally liberates Kay from the Ice Queen's palace comes without conflict at all. The Ice Queen is gone, and the two of them just leave after their tears wash away the shards of glass that were stuck in Kay's eye and heart-- no one even puts up a fight.

Honestly, the most interesting aspect of the wh
Danika
Dec 11, 2013 Danika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the images! Really, really beautiful drawings. I found that there was very minimal focus on the Snow Queen herself, which disappointed me, but overall I thought it was lovely. (:
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it liked it
Shelves: me
Little Kay and little Gerda were best friends who lived just a rooftop-jump away from each other. When a shard of a mischievous demon's viciously cursed mirror falls into Kay's eye and heart, he is soon whisked away by the Snow Queen to her icy domain, and it's up to Gerda to go on a journey to find him and bring him home.

Ah yes, I've finally reached the most recent Disney release in my source material read-through. This is a story I knew well as a kid, but I think I'd forgotten most of it over
anca dc
Sep 01, 2011 anca dc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Fata cu parul de nuca a intrat de-a binelea in inima ei de copil, s-a asezat confortabil in fotoliul de linga soba si s-a lasat purtata inca o data pe tarimurile fermecate colindate de Gerda pentru salvarea bunului ei prieten, Kay. Ilustratiile deosebit de frumoase i-au intregit pe deplin firul povestii minunate si astfel, a colindat, a tresarit, a visat, a gasit calea spre palatul Craiesei-Zapezii. Si a plins, a plins, a plins pina cind s-a topit gheata din inima prietenului ei...

Intrara in ora
Iain
Aug 06, 2015 Iain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A troll has an evil mirror that distorts everything it reflects, the mirror is broken into a million pieces and spread around the world, a snow queen, a lost boy Kai and a girl Gerda who goes looking for him, snowflakes that guard a palace makes for a delightful fairytale by Hans Christian Anderson from 1884 which recently inspired the film Frozen. So now I know the backstory to entertain all the children who saw that film.

So there you go.
Josh
Dec 17, 2014 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

First of all I appreciate Audible.com offering this as a free listen during this Christmas season! Not only that but it was timely with the big fame of Disney's "Frozen" all this year. While the stories are only loosely tied together, I was able to see a few elements here and there that appeared to have been borrowed from.

While I'm not a big fan of this kind of writing or storytelling, it was very well done and performed.
Gabriel Wallis
Jan 06, 2013 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I found "The Snow Queen" to be a delightful story. I couldn't recall if I've read it before. Maybe I read it in the 1st or 2nd grade... I don't know. My wife knew all about the story from a movie she watched sometime in the past, and my brother remembered reading one of the many variants in his past. The reason I read the book: I heard that Disney is in the process of making an animated movie of the story. I usually end up reading a book after a story has been made into a movie. This year, I tho ...more
Kate
Dec 16, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The mirror and its scattered slivers is a nice image...no pun intended! I can see how this inspired Frozen and I like the similarities/differences. The fairy tale has its odd parts (um...the robber girl threatening to kill her reindeer!?! poor guy), but all in all, shows the power of one's love for another. Tis the season.
Phil Villarreal
I'm surprised crack cocaine didn't exist in the days of Hans Christian Andersen, because he seems to have partaken while he was writing this. I have read some freaky old-time children's tales, so it's tough to shake me. But this one managed to do it by getting really weird and disturbing from the outset, then slamming hard on the gas and careening off the bridge and tumbling into a fireball of oblivion. We're talking magic mirror shards that get lodged in your skin to give you superpowers, talki ...more
Amber
Feb 08, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story! I can see how Disney adapted it for Frozen, though I agree with others who call it a "loose" adaptation.

The original story is enchanting, and the illustrations in this particular edition are absolutely breathtaking!! I think this one will go on my purchase list for sure!
Julie
May 15, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
Hans Christian Anderson is a bit strange at times - like the Grimms. But I love fairy tales and I really enjoyed this. It is quite long for a picture book. The pictures are outstanding - beautiful drawings using pastel. I had seen Christian Birmingham's work before and enjoyed it. It really suits this story. With all the intense interest in Disney's 'Frozen', I wanted to go back to read the actual Snow Queen story, since they do give it credit as being the base from which they wrote the 'Frozen' ...more
Lisa Carroll
Mar 14, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just took one look at this cover and knew that this classic fable would be wonderful. The illustrations were some of the most breathtaking and fanciful that I have ever seen in a children's book. I was swept away by the pictures and by the classic Hans Christian Andersen story that was retold by Naomi Lewis. This book would be too long and intense of the younger child, but older children would love the battle between good and bad and how love and good always prevail. The pictures and words use ...more
David
Aug 01, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, sweet and to the point little fairy tale on which Disney's "Frozen" was based - fitting for the Christmas season
Richelle
Mar 24, 2010 Richelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my kids because I've always liked the story of the snow queen. They aren't old enough for the Narnia books yet, but the snow queen sets the stage for them to enjoy it in the future. Parts of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe surely are inspired by this fairy tale. A young boy is deceived and held captive by the evil Snow Queen and the heroine going to rescue him is a child, a girl named Gerda. This book is longer than a picture book, but shorter than a chapter book. I liked thi ...more
Bruce Nordstrom
May 22, 2014 Bruce Nordstrom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, art lovers, classic fairy tale readers
I saw the new Disney animated film, "Frozen," and read in the final credits it said, based on...." And to make a long story short, I did not recognize Hans Christian Anderson's "Snow Queen," from the movie. So I read the story again.

I have to say this book is an excellent re-telling of "Snow Queen." Loved the illustrations, which add a great new dimension to the story. Just the sort of book my kids used to love when I read them out loud to them.

Just do not make the mistake of comparing this stor
Holly
Jan 24, 2015 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story seemed very disjointed and disconnected. Maybe that's just typical of Andersen. Loved the illustrations of winter and the snow queen - it's only redeeming qualities, IMHO.
Ashley Teagle
Oct 17, 2013 Ashley Teagle rated it liked it
I thought this was a good story but I'm afraid it would be a bit old fashioned by most kids' standards. I think there are some interesting imaginative parts of this story, such as when Gerda asks the different flowers to tell their stories. On the other hand, the little robber girl who tickles her poor reindeer's neck with a knife might not be so acceptable to parents today.

Christianity also comes up in this book, so this would be something to keep in mind for parents. I loved how the story end
Meltha
This one keeps the full text (translated, of course) of Anderson, but the illustrations are just gorgeous. Definitely worth reading.

Okay, and apparently EVERY edition of The Snow Queen with various illustrations is relegated to the same file. Yeesh. Confusing much? The one above is for the version illustrated by Bernadette Watts and translated by Anthea Bell. I also looked at one illustrated by Naomi Lewis, which abridged the (admitted long for a fairy tale) text, and it is also very lovely.
Danielle
The Snow Queen is one of my favorite fairy tales. And reading this version made me realize that I really don't like adaptations of fairy tales. This version completely excludes the demon mirror and breezes through other parts, therefore excluding some the prevalent themes in the original and depreciating the meaning of the overall story.
I like the illustrations but they aren't my favorite.
Wing Kee
Feb 28, 2015 Wing Kee rated it liked it
Short, sweet but somewhat bloated in the middle.

This is a short story so I'll keep the review to a minimum. It is a classic yes, but man does the middle drag or what. I guess stories in the past did not really look at story structure and pacing the way we do nowadays. I did like the premise and I did like the bookends but the middle was somewhat meh.

Onward to the next book!
Raquel
Jul 20, 2010 Raquel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-work
Such a strange story, but what else can you expect from Hans Christian Andersen?! I love the fact that the story is Scandinavian and Sweden's Lappland is featured. I'm amused by all things Scandinavian at this point.

This particular edition is gorgeous. The illustrations and the clever self-cover and dust jacket design are breathtaking.
Karyll Recio
Disney's Frozen was said to be based from this story. That's what really got me into reading the book.
I might say that there are some similarities between those stories, but they are both quite enjoyable stories in their own way. And anyway, who says you're too old to read a fairytale book?
Stacey H
Mar 12, 2012 Stacey H rated it liked it
A strange little story, but I liked the way that women played a prominent role. Many of the characters seemed both a little good and a little bad, which made them more interesting and unpredictable.
The Snow Queen herself seems kind of scary and it struck me as a very Christian story.
Jessica Bingham
Jun 07, 2014 Jessica Bingham rated it it was ok
I don't know why, but I just can't get into this fairy tale. The illustrations are beautiful. Gerda overcomes many obstacles to find her best friend Kay, who has been taken by the Snow Queen. I would love to do a library program comparing the original to Disney's Frozen.
Alena
Oct 13, 2015 Alena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to be honest. I bought this book for illustrations by Christian Birmingham. I remember the story from childhood (and several variations of it), but I would buy this one even if the story was complete rubbish. These illustrations are 'the fairy' part.
  • The Tale of the Firebird
  • George and the Dragon
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!
  • Snow