Start by marking “Weiblich, ledig, untot (Betsy Taylor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Weiblich, ledig, untot (Betsy Taylor, #1)

Weiblich, ledig, untot (Undead #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  47,025 Ratings  ·  2,444 Reviews
gekürzte Version - 212 Minuten
Betsy Taylor Band 1

Erst verliert Betsy Taylor ihren Job, dann kommt sie bei einem Autounfall ums Leben – und stellt schließlich fest, dass sie gar nicht wirklich tot ist! Zudem wird sie neuerdings von einem Heißhunger auf Blut geplagt. Ihre neuen Freunde halten sie für die lange prophezeite Königin der Vampire. Betsy ist da zwar anderer Meinun
Audio CD, gekürzt / abridged
Published July 14th 2009 by Argon-Verlag (first published March 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Weiblich, ledig, untot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weiblich, ledig, untot

Eddie
Jan 14, 2008 Eddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those guilty pleasure books that you feel somewhat embarassed about. Shuffling through the romance section of Barnes & Noble is a new and awkward treat for me. Not only did I not expect to ever read anything from this side of the bookstore, I never expected to enjoy it quite so much.

Before I go any further, my macho side feels compelled to point out that I originally stumbled upon one of Davidson's books in the new releases section and, having recently read Christopher Moore'
Sammy Loves Books
This sounded like a fun read, but it wasn't!!!
**1.5 "More Annoying than Entertaining" stars**

d

The heroine dies in a car accident only to wake up in the funeral home a few nights later. On her way home, she accidentally kills a few bad guys that are robbing and talking about raping a mom and her daughter. She then assumes she's evil and try's kill herself. Drinking Clorox, jumping head first off a high rise, drinking holy water, and sleeping in the sun to name a few. This is all suppose to be funn
Jilly
Aug 28, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super funny book that delivers the snark!
It's not a deep or complicated urban fantasy or anything. It's simple, cute, silly, and fun. Like a chick-flick book.

Personally, I don't have the shoe-fetish that we woman are all supposed to have. I must have missed that day in Femaling 101. But, Betsy the vampire still had enough other qualities that I could relate to - such as being a smartass. When she meets a large group of vampires, she has a few questions:

"Why don't we turn the goddamned lights o
valee
Maybe it could be a 3 stars rating.

This book made me laugh hard most of the time. Although you must understand that it is a book to have a nice time, a fast and fun read. Don't expect any more that that because you won't get it. There's nothing serious about this book. There's no real romance neither. But still I had a great time.

The heroine is amazing. What can I say? I loved her humor. She's wicked and naughty, LOL. She really does have a great personality. My only problem was that she was to
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Betsy has had a bad day. She gets laid off from work and then hit by a car and smashed into a tree. When she wakes up in a coffin at the funeral home, wearing a ghastly pink suit and her "stepmonsters" cheap pink heels, she thinks she's a zombie and tries to top herself. Again and again and again. It takes a six-year-old to point out to her that she's got fangs and is a vampire.

That's just the beginning of Betsy's really bad week. Her best friend Jessica takes it all in her stride, and so does h
Exina
“Just because I’m dead doesn’t mean I can’t have a life.”

I love Betsy, there is much potential in her character. She is a newbie vampire, with distinguishing abilities. She has to learn much about her vampire nature, but also has to rise to the challe
Rita
Feb 24, 2011 Rita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-lit fans, PNR fans
The first good thing that I have to say about this book is that I love the title. It's funny. So, when I picked it up I had great expectations to it's entertaining value during my daily commuting. Sadly, I was wrong.

This book was in my opinion not funny at all, although I must stay that it tried very hard to be a funny book. Too hard, even.

The second positive that I have to say is that it's read quite quickly. That is a good thing, for a book this bad should either be tossed right away or be ov
Sashana
I am a huge fan of chick-lit and paranormal romance, so combining the two genres is like reader heaven for me. Seriously, you get the best of both genres with this book: the insecure but lovable protagonist, her bad ass vampire crush, and some steamy sex scenes. What more could a girl ask for?

I was not going to stumble around like a zombie, scaring the hell out of people and pretending I still had a place in the world. "God," I said, teetering for balance, "I'm coming to see you know."

Betsy is
Jess
SO this book is about a narcissistic, slightly stupid woman who dies and becomes a vampire. But, she has all of these abilities that other vamps don't. She can walk in the daylight, go on holy ground, wear a cross, etc... The reason is because she is the foretold queen that has finally risen. Some of the current bad-ass vamps find out and want her to join their side.

Overall, the book was okay. I wasn't thrilled with it. I thought that the author was trying a little too hard for the characters to
Svenja
Nov 02, 2016 Svenja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So ein Buch habe ich bei dem Regenwetter gebraucht...

Der sehr humorvolle Schreibstil und die schlagfertige Hauptprotagonisten Betsy mit dem frechen und vorlauten Mundwerk sind eine perfekte Abwechslung im grauen Alltag.

Die Geschichte ist vielleicht nur 3 Sterne wert, weil sie nicht wirklich überraschend war, aber Betsy ist einfach so unterhaltsam. Bin gespannt, was da noch passiert :)
Aug 05, 2010 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish Good Reads had more “star categories”. I would give this book 4 stars for concept and 0 stars for execution. This is another choice from my book rental club. Sometimes those choices have felt like crap shoots. Part of the problem stems from the fact that I make my choices based on reviews and book descriptions on the book rental web site. None of the reviews I read warned me that were this story a movie, it would be rated a very hard R.

The book cover is also misleading. Its cover art giv
Amy
Mar 15, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm still shell-shocked from reading this book. I belong to a "fascinating" book club where we only try and pick horrendous and/or fun/lights reads to make fun of when we get together. I actually had higher hopes when I started this one. I found out it was based in the Twin Cities where we all live, it had some witty and entertaining writing and it had been compared to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", which is my favorite television show of all time.
No - just no. I was really sickened by this
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
I read this last year and was just suggested it again. I never finished it so I didn't think it was fair to include it in my books read, but now I just want to rate and review it so that it won't be suggested to me again.

I am aware that this is just a fun read and not meant to be taken seriously, but honestly I couldn't stand it. The main character is a complete superficial, materialistic, idiot. There were some funny parts, but it was not enough to redeem this book for me.

Wasting my time on t
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
This was so much fun to read. It wasn't the usual vampire paranormal book but it was fun to read something different.
CerejaCult CerejaCult
Reviewed on 05/07/2012

Reasons to read this book:

• If you just finish reading a dystopian book, where everyone is starving to death and fighting for survival, and want to get rid of that serious face and that line on your forehead.
• If you just finish reading a dystopian book where everyone is starving to death and fighting for survival, and you want eat chocolate ice cream without feeling guilty for all of those starving kids in the book.
• If you had a tough week at work and want to let out so
Exina
Apr 06, 2013 Exina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Just because I’m dead doesn’t mean I can’t have a life.”

Based on the cover, I thought it would be a light story and it was. I hadn’t really read the blurb before I started reading. At the beginning, it looked like a PNR parody, featuring all the vampire clichés, but the author makes a success out of using them. The narration is smart, as the story is told by Betsy’s viewpoint, so you can comprehend and experience things with her.

I love Betsy, there is much potential in her character. She is
Carolyn  Storer
Undead and Unwed is the first book in the series featuring Betsy Taylor. Betsy is a young secretary who is attacked and then two months later run over by a car. She wakes up in a coffin and realises things are not quite right.

Betsy is fun, witty and loves shoes *a girl after my own heart* and after many attempts at trying to end her undead life, as her life pretty much sucked after losing her job, she realises that she cannot kill herself as she is now a vampire. She's also fairly independent, *
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
This book is such a cheese fest but delicious all the same. It's exactly the kind of book you'd read when you're down because the ridiculousness of it is just so endearing as a whole.

The heroine, Betsy(yeap), is a newly made Undead and not happy about it, especially considering that what she's seen of the world of vampires so far is sooo last year. She loves her designer shoes, they make her world go round, hates her stepmother, loves her awfully rich best friend and absolutely hates the badly d
Mizuki
Aug 28, 2015 Mizuki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I will only read the sequels only when I have a lot, and a lot of time to kill.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Goddddd, it's hard to know how to categorize some books. It's marked as Paranormal Romance, so I suppose I'll leave it at that. The story itself isn't heavy on the romance department as it's focal point, but instead is of a young woman coming to terms with her new undead status, vampires in her life trying to convince her she's the foretold queen savior, and embracing her love of designer shoes. Top this off with her best friend and new sidekick, a homosexual who has the hots for the vamp who ha ...more
Jasmin
May 16, 2010 Jasmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance readers
Elizabeth Taylor. Betsy for short.

Life's been tough on her. Betsy got laid off. It's her birthday and she's too depressed to even celebrate. Then she gets hit by a car and dies. Well, not exactly, for she wakes up a few days later and she's in a freaking coffin.

While life has been cruel on her, her death hasn't been easy on her either. She's an odd freak of nature. It's not exactly normal to be walking after you shattered your skull into pieces. She tries killing herself, but to no avail, nothin
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Jun 30, 2011 Wendy ~M/M Junkie~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: source-to-sort
This is the first in the Queen Betsy series by Mary Janice Davidson. Absolutely Hysterical. I would be reading along and burst out laughing. I loved it. Her name is Elizabeth Taylor (Betsy) and she looses her job then is hit and killed by a car all in the same morning! Then she wakes up in the morgue dressed in cheap shoes! She also has a shoe fetish. Everyone should read it!
Inara
Oct 26, 2007 Inara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love vampires with humor
Title of the German edition:
Weiblich, ledig, untot

Elizabeth "Betsy" Taylor is hit by a car, dies, wakes up in her coffin and realizes shes not dead but a vampire. But not our common vampire, no! She still can go into churches, a cross and holy water doesnt affect her and sunlight is no problem. No wonder that other vampires are inclined to believe shes the prophesied vampire queen. But Betsy just wants to live her life exactly like before she became a vampire shes totally uninterested in vampir
Megan
Aug 29, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely ridiculous and I loved it!

Betsy is a total loon. She is obsessed with shoes and she's quite vain but she's also hilariously sarcastic. She takes nothing seriously. In real life I know I would probably hate her but I absolutely love reading about her and her life. What I did not like about this book was Sinclair. It's like the whole Charlie Davidison and Reyes all over again. I have read a few reviews and most of them go on and on about how amazing Sinclair is and I'm sit
Jess
Dec 28, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-digital
I found Mary Janice Davidson through a recommendation on Barnes and Noble based on previous authors (Janet Evanovich I'm assuming) I've read. I decided to give the first one "Undead and Unwed" a try and was very pleasantly surprised. I was a little saddened/embarrassed to see that it was filed in the romance section with the cheesy romance novels, but it didn't feel like that was what I was reading. Very similar to the Janet Evanovich novels it has a hilarious heroine Betsy (Elizabeth) Taylor wh ...more
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
5 Stars:

I love vampire books! The heroine Betsy is hilarious and you can completely relate to her. The jokes come fast and furious in a laugh aloud quick read. It will be a pleasure to see how the story develops in future volumes. Patiently waiting to read what is next for Queen Elizabeth and her new Consort as it is bound to be another terrific adventure.

My absolute favorite and will read again and again. I strongly recommend! It has outstanding qualities. The characters are wonderful and surp
Nadir
Uh, where to start. This book is a very bland sort of read. The thrills aren't really thrilly, the action doesn't really happen and the romance is just unromantic. There are some funny bits, but far too few and the rest of the jokes forced. The main character, Betsy (great name) is a spunky blonde shoe-aholic, or at least she's meant to be. At least the author knows her character is a raving brat and tries to run with it. This book requires the reader to suspend their disbelief - mainly by using ...more
Julie Ehlers
Jan 23, 2011 Julie Ehlers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I have no idea why an author would make a narrator so incredibly unlikeable. Her rabid materialism is offputting, she mouths off to everyone, she juvenilely makes insipid puns on the names of people she doesn't like. She dislikes other characters for no apparent reason. She rips off jokes from Clueless, among other places. She's a registered Republican who knows nothing about the issues; a PETA member who gets sanctimonious about animal testing but still eats meat. She insists that the slaves ha ...more
Tijana
Dec 12, 2016 Tijana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

In the library, this book stands at the chick lit section. Not sure if I can agree they got the genre right, but if they did, it's definitely weirdest and most bizarre chick lit I've ever read.
And the most entertaining one!
This is what the True Blood series would be like if it was written by Sophie Kinsella.
A book that makes it obvious we shouldn't take it too seriously, and I enjoyed every bit of it!
Debbie
Jan 17, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: Gus Carrick - pifm 5/10
I understand this is a funny version of vampires, but (now maybe it is because I am not a shoe hound) it didn't do much for me. It had some really funny parts that had me literally laughing out loud (got a few strange looks), but for the most part I found Betsy materialistic (obviously), distractable (self proclaimed) and sort of "Valley-girl" meets "Sex in the City" stupid (for the lack of words to describe). A distraction from everyday paranormal, nothing like a romance even existed in it, but ...more
  • I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart #1)
  • You Slay Me (Aisling Grey #1)
  • Real Vampires Live Large (Glory St. Clair, #2)
  • Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3)
  • Bitten & Smitten (Immortality Bites, #1)
  • Dead Sexy (Garnet Lacey, #2)
  • High Stakes (Vegas Vampires, #1)
  • Dead End Dating (Dead End Dating #1)
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...

Undead (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Dead Girls Don't Dance (Queen Betsy #1.5)
  • Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2)
  • Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3)
  • Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4)
  • Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)
  • Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6)
  • Undead and Unworthy (Undead, #7)
  • Undead and Unwelcome (Undead, #8)
  • Undead and Unfinished (Undead, #9)
  • Undead and Undermined (Undead, #10)

“Hell couldn't be worse than a WalMart after midnight, right?” 53 likes
“We have souls. Sure we do. Otherwise we'd do bad things all the time. You know, like
politicians.”