Start by marking “January Joker (Calendar Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
January Joker (Calendar Mysteries, #1)

January Joker (Calendar Mysteries #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  528 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
It s a mystery every month from popular A to Z Mysteries author Ron Roy!
January is for Joker...
In thefirst book of the Calendar Mysteries an early chapter book mystery series featuring the younger siblings of the A to Z Mysteries detectives Green Lawnhas a problem! When Bradley Pinto wakes up in the night to strange lights in his backyard, he wonders if there are aliens
Published December 22nd 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about January Joker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about January Joker

Splat the Cat and the Duck with No Quack by Rob ScottonThe Knight at Dawn by Mary Pope OsborneDinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneJunie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus by Barbara ParkThe Haunted Library by Dori Hillestad Butler
Guided Reading Level M
27th out of 30 books — 2 voters
Mr Stink by David WalliamsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Boy in the Dress by David Walliams
best children's books!
53rd out of 122 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda Kendall
Feb 14, 2016 Amanda Kendall rated it liked it
Shelves: bedtime
My 6 year old enjoyed it. He said it was scary, but he didn't want us to stop reading it until the mystery was solved.
Ella
Mar 11, 2016 Ella rated it really liked it
This book is good for seven or eight year olds. My sister is reading it.
Crystal
Jan 26, 2016 Crystal added it
Shelves: daniel
Daniel's second book of 2016. He gives it five stars. He says if he could give it six, he would!
Erica
Related to the A to Z Mysteries. These four kids are siblings & cousin to Josh, Dink, and Ruth Rose. Good for 1-3rd graders who like a little mystery. The kids see clues to an alien arrival. Their dog and pony is missing, as are the three older kids. All evidence leads to an alien abduction.
Jessica Sheaffer
Feb 17, 2013 Jessica Sheaffer rated it liked it
This book is a part of a series of mystery chapter books written for second-third grade readers. January Joker, is the first in the series and introduces the main characters (boys and girls ages 7-12), who are friends and relatives. One night some of the children have a strange encounter with what appears to be aliens… or is it just Nate playing a prank again? The children collect enough clues to convince themselves that this time the paranormal activity might be for real. It’s strange enough wh ...more
Cairn
Feb 27, 2013 Cairn rated it liked it
good
Earline
After shelving these books a million times at the public library, I decided to check out this popular Ron Roy series. Unfortunately I was underwhelmed and though the story seemed overly complicated (too many characters, strange circumstances, and convoluted explanation). I thought there were some really great moments, such as the aliens at the window and the note, but I just wish it was more simplistic and refined. Overall I'm not sure if I will continue to with the A-Z series.. maybe I'll just ...more
Lisa C
Jun 07, 2015 Lisa C rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-elementary
The "mysteries" in this Calendar series are more like mildly intriguing situations/ pranks. I didn't enjoy them nearly as much as Roy's A-Z mystery series. That being said, my kids (ages 5 and 8) thoroughly enjoyed them and we listened to the January, February, and March books on a weekend drive to Grandma's house.

Krista
Oct 14, 2014 Krista rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books, 2014
Good chapter book for younger readers or lower-level older readers.

Bradley, Brian, Nate, and Lucy believe aliens are after them. They think the aliens have taken their older siblings and their pets. They are trying to capture the aliens so they can trade some food to get their siblings and pets back.
Mary Ann
This series follows the little siblings of the A-Z Mystery gang. I like Roy's clear, direct writing, but found the set-up a little confusing. The characters didn't seem like separate people - it was hard to get a clear picture of each of the kids. Kids will likely have a clear picture of the original group from the A-Z Mysteries: Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose. But Roy is adding four new characters: Brian and Bradley, Josh's twin brothers; Lucy, Dink's cousin; and Nate, Ruth Rose's little brother. In ...more
Rachel Dalton
The Calendar Mysteries are transitional/short chapter books that include many pictures while still have a lot of text. These are great for emerging readers who are starting to progress through chapter books. They are also great for kids who enjoy mysteries.
Marlee
Jan 06, 2015 Marlee rated it it was amazing
A great start to this series, especially for fans of the a-z mysteries. My children (ages 10 and 7) both loved this book. It was a quick read, fast-paced, funny, and solvable. Dink, josh, and Ruth Rose are all in the book as well.
GPLD Youth Services RA
When Bradley wakes up during the night to strange lights in his backyard, he wonders if there are aliens in town. Three-toed tracks in the snow make him sure of it. Soon others disappear.
cs
Dolly
Jul 27, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We loved the A to Z Mysteries series and were sad when we finished the last of the 26 books. But with the Super Edition stories and now this new series, we can continue to hang out with our beloved characters, Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose. The Calendar Mysteries series stars the three sleuths' younger relatives, but the older kids are still part of the story. This is the first book in the series and since these books are written for a younger audience, they are quick reads and at the perfect level f ...more
Emelia
Apr 22, 2015 Emelia rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-read
Very funny and engaging. My grandson Oliver fingered it out by the middle of the story. He really loves this author!
Mlh346comcast.net
Neliya
Mar 02, 2015 Neliya rated it it was amazing
Vicki Riddiough
Jan 11, 2014 Vicki Riddiough rated it it was amazing
This was a perfect book to introduce mysteries to my 7-yr-old without being scary, gory, or fill his mind with unnecessary details. Simple suspense with a little humor mixed in - good story-telling & he can't wait to start the next book in the series!
Terri
Had a couple of intense moments for the age group I targeted it for.

The storyline overall was interesting. A nice introduction to a new mystery series.
Jessica
Apr 30, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Listened to these on audio book with my kids. Really fun.
Brenda
Apr 14, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it
I liked the book, it was well-written, but I didn't like the little kids as much as I like Dink and his friends. Dink and his friends are in this book, but only in small parts until close to the end. I can't stand the twins, Nate and Lucy are okay though.
Ratforcekids
This book is the first in the series, Calendar Mysteries, by the very popular author of A to Z Mysteries, Ron Roy. This series features the younger siblings of the characters in the A to Z Mysteries and is sure to be a big hit for emergent readers.
Maggie
Jan 29, 2010 Maggie rated it it was amazing
I think this new series, The Calendar Mysteries, are kind of interesting because the characters in The Calendar Mysteries are the younger siblings of the characters from A to Z mysteries.
Shelly
Jun 07, 2011 Shelly rated it really liked it
My son and I are really enjoying this spin-off of the ABC mysteries. Ron Roy writes some fun stories that appeal to the readers that are moving into chapter books and beyond.
Kaytee
Jul 16, 2015 Kaytee rated it liked it
the kids were looking for aliens bacause they saw there foot prints then they solved the mystery it was the kids that were baby sittinl them.
Andrea Labonte
Aug 12, 2014 Andrea Labonte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv
If you like the older kids in A-Z mysteries you will love the younger kids in this series read to find out what the little kids are up too.
SmokeyPookie
Feb 15, 2011 SmokeyPookie rated it liked it
Both kids read the first 3 of these when they were first releaseed and said they were okay, but I think too young for them at this point.
  • The King of Show-and-Tell (Ready, Freddy!, #2)
  • Anyone But Me (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #1)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Secret Admirer
  • Nate the Great San Francisco Detective
  • Flat Stanley and the Firehouse
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • Battle of the Best Friends
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • The Curse of the Pharaoh (Agatha, Girl of Mystery #1)
  • Snowmen at Work
  • The Case of the Christmas Snowman (Jigsaw Jones Mystery, No. 2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Dead Eagles (Encyclopedia Brown, #12)
  • Amazing Magnetism (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #12)
  • A Crazy Day With Cobras (Magic Tree House, #45)
  • Charge Of The Triceratops (Dinosaur Cove, #2)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

Calendar Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • March Mischief (Calendar Mysteries Series #3)
  • April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4)
  • May Magic (Calendar Mysteries, #5)
  • June Jam (Calendar Mysteries, #6)
  • July Jitters (Calendar Mysteries, #7)
  • August Acrobat (Calendar Mysteries, #8)
  • September Sneakers (Calendar Mysteries, #9)
  • October Ogre (Calendar Mysteries #10)
  • November Night (Calender Mysteies #11)