Start by marking “Crusade (Destroyermen)” as Want to Read:
Crusade (Destroyermen)

Crusade (Destroyermen #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,280 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Lieutenant Commander Matthew Reddy, along with the men and women of the U.S.S. Walker, have chosen sides in a war not of their making. They have allied with the Lemurians-a mammalian race whose peaceful existence is under attack from the warlike, reptilian Grik.The Lemurians are vastly outnumbered and ignorant of warfare, and even the guns and technology of Walker cannot t
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 24th 2008 by Tantor Media, Inc (first published October 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Crusade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crusade

Mr. Matt
In Crusade we rejoin Captain Reddy and the crew of the Walker. They have forged an alliance with the mammalian Lemurians against the predatorial, rapacious Grik. After saving the sea folk, the Humans and Lemurians turn to rescue the land-based Lemurians. A captured Grik ship leads them to believe an all out assault is going to be made on the unsuspecting city-states. Sure enough the Walker and an armada of Lemurians arrive to lift the siege and smash a Grik fleet.

Crusade suffers from second book
Yes. I liked it.
No, I'm not going to give you a lengthy description of the book because I don't believe I am the Roger Ebert of the literary world.

This is what matters to me.

1. I enjoyed the book.
2. I don't regret the time I spent with it.
3. I wouldn't mind rereading/relistening to it at a later date.

This book meets those requirements. If what matters to me matters to you and you enjoy military science fiction, this book might be for you.
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
This book continues the fun of the first book. It's very Edgar Rice Burroughs meets "In Harm's Way" (the Movie).

Strong characters, difficult complex plot with intricate details that I find facinating.

I'm already into book three and loving it. This is a fun series. Highly recommended for lovers of science fiction, Fantasy, and alternate reality stories.

It has a little "Harry Turtledove" in it too.

Fun read.
Jan 19, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: military sf fans who like old fashion naval and land battles
I am not a big fan of reading the second book in a trilogy or series and skipping the first book, but I found myself in this situation when a new title at the library caught my eye. Destroyermen: Crusade is a novel in that famous science fiction/fantasy tradition, the transplanted people into a parallel universe. In this case, two United States destroyers are apparently in the midst of a battle with a Japanese Battle Cruiser Amiga during the Battle of the Java Sea in World War II, when as a resu ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
What can I say here???? This is prime, number 1, grade A brain candy. No redeeming characteristics deep literary nuanced story-telling. This is they story of an obsolete WW1 destroyer and a destroyer escort (of the same age) thrown into a world of wooden ships, intelligent lemur like creatures that the humans call "monkey-cats" and large (also intelligent) carnivorous lizards who don't take prisoners after battle. They simply eat the enemy.

Oh there's also an ultra-modern
A trilogy about World War II era naval ships transported to an altenate timeline? I'm just a complete sap for these types of books. Loved it, sorry.

The middle book in a trilogy is traditionally the meatiest, with the larger story arc resolving. That's certainly true here, but it's also the slowest book of the series in some ways. A welcome reprieve to the carnage...
Dec 13, 2014 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cylon lizard men, mad Japanese captains, sailors with furry girlfriends
I found book one in the Destroyermen series to be fun and entertaining, if a bit flat and cheesy, style-wise. Book two, though, actually had me wanting to stand up and cheer. Not that it's any less flat and cheesy, but there are some quintessential qualities that Taylor Anderson brings to this series that I've been missing in sci-fi and military fiction lately.

Duty, honor, bravery, sacrifice, and heroism. Men acting like men. (Yes, the women - both human and Lemurian - are pretty brave too.) A w
At the end of the previous novel (Into the Storm), we find out some interesting things - the Grik are larger in numbers than expected, they have been in contact with other humans (and possibly Mahan), and they are about to attack Surabaya. The action in Crusade builds up as Captain Reddy and the "Allied Expeditionary Force" prepare to lift the siege of Surabaya (Aryaal). Then things get messy.

The story is fast-paced and contains a lot of action. The "allies" make some gains, but they aren't the
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
So, here we are back in that alternate Earth - you know the one - the one inhabited by those nice, furry, sociable,sea-going "meerkats". Except it's not a nice furry, fluffy Earth, that one. It's dangerous, very dangerous with its oceans populated by amazingly nasty voracious fish, dinosaur-like creatures walk the forests and all the cute life-forms are threatened by psychotic, murderous, intelligent lizards that just love to eat you alive. And the nasty Japs have allied with them! What chance d ...more
Carl Alves
Taylor Anderson's first novel in his Destroymen series was one of the best novels I've ever read, so the bar was set high for Crusade. Fortunately, Taylor Anderson delivered with an excellent sequel. The world he created is a fascinating one where two naval destroyers from World War II are badly damaged in a fight with a Japanese naval ship, landing in an alternate world, where they take the side with the peaceful Lemurians against the dreaded lizard creatures, the Grik. As Captain Reddy gets hi ...more
If one can get past the prologue and first chapter of Destroyermen: Crusade, one is in for a treat. The fast-paced action scenes that follow are worthy of any battle scenes in any of my favorites. In my opinion, this alternate history series has some scenes that blow away Hornblower, are sharper than Sharpe, loom larger than Lewrie, hold more water than Drinkwater, override Halfhyde, and outbattle Bolitho [Sorry about getting carried away with useless and uninformative wordplay!]. Don’t get me w ...more
Kat  Hooper

Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

The men and two women of the USS Walker are worn out and homesick. They’re resigned to being stuck on a parallel world, but they at least hope to find some more humans. There’s a severe “dame shortage” so, though Commander Matthew Reddy and Nurse Sandra Tucker are in love with each other, they know they must not indulge their feelings because it might lower the morale of the rest of the destroyermen.

There’s plenty to keep them occupied meanwhile
Taylor Anderson has written a gripping story as he continues the tale of World War II era servicemen somehow transported (with their destroyers) to an alternate earth with odd creatures and cultures. This is an action filled tale that deals with battle much more than anything else.

Our heroes, stuck in this alternate world, have chosen to side with one race (a lemur-like cat people) over a vicious race (lizard-like man eating people- who kill and consume their victims and seem to be pure evil.)-
Glen Robinson
If you’re like me and like alternate history/military sci-fi stories, and if you happened to pick up Into the Storm, the first book in the Destroyermen series, then the news that this is more of the same should be good news.

Crusade continues where Into the Storm left off, with two (yes two) ancient U.S. destroyers from 1942 transported to an alien version of earth, complete with dinosaurs, monstrous carnivorous fish, one alien lizard-like race that wants to eat everyone, and another lemurian rac
Loved this second installment of the Destroyermen series. Had just the right amounts of action, and the characters really stand out in this one. It isn't often that a story gets me choked up, but I'd have to say that the burial scene in this one did the trick. And of course, nothing works better than giving enough twists and turns to make you wonder who's going to survive and who isn't. Looking forward to picking up the next in the series.
Jeff Miller
Story continues to develop and keeps the action up at a high-level with some nice plot introductions.

One criticism I had of the first book of the crew of the U.S.S. Walker seeming to be totally irreligious while the natives having a primitive religion are answered in the second book as much more of the crewman's faith is talked about at least generally.

This series is the equivalent of a good summer popcorn movie.

"Crusade" is book #2 of the Destroyermen series. This seems to be a transitional novel leading to the big battle for all the marbles in book #3 "Maelstrom". I'm reading book 3 right now and you could probably skip this book and go straight to #3. Nevertheless, this book is good and I'd read it again.

The story: The USS Walker is trying to build a grand alliance of the Lemurians... descendants of ancient lemurs in this parallel universe that the men and women of the World War I destroyer Walker fi
Scott Marlowe
A fun read with plenty of action and suspense. The character development remains a bit shallow, but there's enough going on that I often overlooked this. Can't wait for book 3 and I assume the final confrontation with the Japanese battlecruiser, Amagi.
More of the same, but that's a good thing.

Crusade starts us off right where we were left with book one in the series. Mr. Anderson gives us a whole heaping of two things that were great about the first book: great plot and great characters. Crusade re-introduces an old nemesis that may have been forgotten by the end of the first book, completely changing the war that the AEF is fighting. We are also treated to several chapters from the perspectives of the enemy, giving us further insight into th
At one point while reading this I was wondering when I could catch my breath, because there was no break for an end to the chapter. Then I scanned ahead, and found that these chapters were 100 pages... This is the second book, and ROC is a big publisher, but have they let their editorial staff go? The author has an idea, and a story. But he has problems.

First is believability which I pointed out after the first book, these guys are going to be making and creating things way beyond their capabili
This book very much picked up where the last one left off, easily hitting the promise of the first book. A great tale, that should be read as a perfect example of this genre. Four Stars.

Plot : Four Stars

Full of action on land, sea and air, this book was just chock full of adrenaline and excitement. It managed to weave a tale you couldn't help but fall into. The atmosphere was so realistic, so engaging; you felt the strain and fear of emerging from WWII into a alternate reality, of being cut off
One thing I will say about this book that put me off when I stated reading it was that it only has 4 chapters. Its a 400 page book, so you can imagine it was somewhat challenging to read in short spurts. I'm the kind of reader that, when I read I read to the end of a chapter before I out the book down; in this case that wasn't possible but looking back now I sort of see the point in the ridiculously long chapters. Some authors can hit a wall with character progression and as chapters end, so doe ...more
Second book in the series. Had a hard time putting this book down; one major downside was the size of those chapters! They were 100 pages each, on average, so for a four hundred page book, not many chapters! But still a fun read.

I felt like there was more peripheral character development in this book, which is not a bad thing. I found myself caring for more characters in this book than the first. So I will definitely be interested in reading the next book in the series. The author is a bit surpr
After the events of Into the Storm, the humans of Walker and their Lemurian allies prepare their defenses for the inevitable Grik onslaught. Initial optimism is tempered by the realization that the threat is much greater than they initially thought.

While Into the Storm was somewhat tentative, the series hits its stride in this book. A real page turner. Mr. Anderson also gives freer rein to the often comical idiosyncrasies of his characters, adding a note of absurdist humor to the narrative.

Seria trzyma w miarę poziom, czyli 3,5. Fabuła rozwija się dość przewidywalnie. Ci dobrzy mają pod górkę, ale przecież walczą, wojna przerzedza szeregi ocalałych z załogi "Walkera" i "Mahana", lemury toczą bój o przetrwanie, a griki tylko myślą, jak napchać ssakami swoje brzuchu. Sporo heroizmu. Klasycznego. Amerykańskiego spod gwiazd i pasów. Dla miłośników militarnego SF (tudzież historii alternatywnych i ich pochodnych).
This is the 2nd of this well written scifi series. Taking place during WWII, a US ship has found themselves on an alternate earth and have come to the aid of the gentle Lemurians.

This is definitely a scifi with at least two different species (lizard and mammal catlike people) that are at war with each other. I've always been fond of both the WWII era as well as scifi (although I'm not that fond of weird creatures) so I've enjoyed the series up to this point. Unfortunately, the supposed 3 book se
Travis of NNY
I am still debating whether this series is a bit too slow paced for me. I like the world and the continued look into its inhabitants. I have no choice but to continue in the series until I figure whether it is really for me. Never the less still a 4 star read.
In the second book the action continues but at a faster pace, Captain Reddy, and the crew of Walker, are training the Lemurians how to fight, creating an industrial society and fortifying the Island of Borneo to protect it from a Grik invasion. He leads the Lemurians to several victories on land and sea as they gather for another attach they learn that Grik Great Swarm is about to land on them.

With new allies and an expanded Alliance he gathers all his forces to the Island of Borneo and draws b
Andrew Webster
Great book. Compelling story with interesting characters. There is always an element of suspense. I felt like something good/bad could happen at any time.
Joe Santoro
I'm definitely enjoying this series! The characters really start to shine through here, especially the bad guys, who get some development past being mindless killing machines.

I really like the style of revealing information about the world as the characters find out... makes it more interesting.

There is a pretty good fight scene in this one, with the promise of a truly epic confrontation to come in the next book.

Anderson does a good job with the battle scenes, which come to life and show strateg
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • Invincible (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #2)
  • 1636: The Saxon Uprising (Assiti Shards, #11)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • How Firm a Foundation (Safehold, #5)
  • Live Free or Die (Troy Rising, #1)

Destroyermen (10 books)
  • Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1)
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1) Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3) Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4) Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5) Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)