Start by marking “Crusade (Destroyermen)” as Want to Read:
Crusade (Destroyermen)

Crusade (Destroyermen #2)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,656 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Lieutenant Commander Matthew Reddy, along with the men and women of the U.S.S. Walker, have chosen sides in a war not of their making. They have allied with the Lemurians-a mammalian race whose peaceful existence is under attack from the warlike, reptilian Grik.The Lemurians are vastly outnumbered and ignorant of warfare, and even the guns and technology of Walker cannot t
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 24th 2008 by Tantor Media, Inc (first published October 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Crusade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crusade

Mr. Matt
In Crusade we rejoin Captain Reddy and the crew of the Walker. They have forged an alliance with the mammalian Lemurians against the predatorial, rapacious Grik. After saving the sea folk, the Humans and Lemurians turn to rescue the land-based Lemurians. A captured Grik ship leads them to believe an all out assault is going to be made on the unsuspecting city-states. Sure enough the Walker and an armada of Lemurians arrive to lift the siege and smash a Grik fleet.

Crusade suffers from second book
Mike (the Paladin)
What can I say here???? This is prime, number 1, grade A brain candy. No redeeming characteristics here...no deep literary meanings...no nuanced story-telling. This is the story of an obsolete WW1 destroyer and a destroyer escort (of the same age) thrown into a world of wooden ships, intelligent lemur like creatures that the humans call "monkey-cats" and large (also intelligent) carnivorous lizards who don't take prisoners after battle. They simply eat the enemy.

Oh there's also an ultra-modern W
azdbackfan
May 15, 2010 azdbackfan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes. I liked it.
No, I'm not going to give you a lengthy description of the book because I don't believe I am the Roger Ebert of the literary world.

This is what matters to me.

1. I enjoyed the book.
2. I don't regret the time I spent with it.
3. I wouldn't mind rereading/relistening to it at a later date.

This book meets those requirements. If what matters to me matters to you and you enjoy military science fiction, this book might be for you.
Donna
Feb 03, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm surprised that I am actually enjoying these books. Alternate history is so not my thing, but this has been kind of fun. I like the characters. They are well drawn and down to earth. There is such a strong conflict of good vs. evil that flows throughout the whole story. The story moves at a nice pace with something new always coming into play. When I started this, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it, but I'm glad I did. SO 4 STARS.
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
This book continues the fun of the first book. It's very Edgar Rice Burroughs meets "In Harm's Way" (the Movie).

Strong characters, difficult complex plot with intricate details that I find facinating.

I'm already into book three and loving it. This is a fun series. Highly recommended for lovers of science fiction, Fantasy, and alternate reality stories.

It has a little "Harry Turtledove" in it too.

Fun read.
Jeffrey
Jan 19, 2009 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: military sf fans who like old fashion naval and land battles
I am not a big fan of reading the second book in a trilogy or series and skipping the first book, but I found myself in this situation when a new title at the library caught my eye. Destroyermen: Crusade is a novel in that famous science fiction/fantasy tradition, the transplanted people into a parallel universe. In this case, two United States destroyers are apparently in the midst of a battle with a Japanese Battle Cruiser Amiga during the Battle of the Java Sea in World War II, when as a resu ...more
Brad
May 01, 2009 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A trilogy about World War II era naval ships transported to an altenate timeline? I'm just a complete sap for these types of books. Loved it, sorry.

The middle book in a trilogy is traditionally the meatiest, with the larger story arc resolving. That's certainly true here, but it's also the slowest book of the series in some ways. A welcome reprieve to the carnage...
David
Dec 13, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cylon lizard men, mad Japanese captains, sailors with furry girlfriends
I found book one in the Destroyermen series to be fun and entertaining, if a bit flat and cheesy, style-wise. Book two, though, actually had me wanting to stand up and cheer. Not that it's any less flat and cheesy, but there are some quintessential qualities that Taylor Anderson brings to this series that I've been missing in sci-fi and military fiction lately.

Duty, honor, bravery, sacrifice, and heroism. Men acting like men. (Yes, the women - both human and Lemurian - are pretty brave too.) A w
Andrew
Feb 03, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the end of the previous novel (Into the Storm), we find out some interesting things - the Grik are larger in numbers than expected, they have been in contact with other humans (and possibly Mahan), and they are about to attack Surabaya. The action in Crusade builds up as Captain Reddy and the "Allied Expeditionary Force" prepare to lift the siege of Surabaya (Aryaal). Then things get messy.

The story is fast-paced and contains a lot of action. The "allies" make some gains, but they aren't the
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
So, here we are back in that alternate Earth - you know the one - the one inhabited by those nice, furry, sociable,sea-going "meerkats". Except it's not a nice furry, fluffy Earth, that one. It's dangerous, very dangerous with its oceans populated by amazingly nasty voracious fish, dinosaur-like creatures walk the forests and all the cute life-forms are threatened by psychotic, murderous, intelligent lizards that just love to eat you alive. And the nasty Japs have allied with them! What chance d ...more
Carl Alves
Oct 17, 2012 Carl Alves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taylor Anderson's first novel in his Destroymen series was one of the best novels I've ever read, so the bar was set high for Crusade. Fortunately, Taylor Anderson delivered with an excellent sequel. The world he created is a fascinating one where two naval destroyers from World War II are badly damaged in a fight with a Japanese naval ship, landing in an alternate world, where they take the side with the peaceful Lemurians against the dreaded lizard creatures, the Grik. As Captain Reddy gets hi ...more
Johnny
If one can get past the prologue and first chapter of Destroyermen: Crusade, one is in for a treat. The fast-paced action scenes that follow are worthy of any battle scenes in any of my favorites. In my opinion, this alternate history series has some scenes that blow away Hornblower, are sharper than Sharpe, loom larger than Lewrie, hold more water than Drinkwater, override Halfhyde, and outbattle Bolitho [Sorry about getting carried away with useless and uninformative wordplay!]. Don’t get me w ...more
Kat  Hooper
Jun 13, 2012 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

The men and two women of the USS Walker are worn out and homesick. They’re resigned to being stuck on a parallel world, but they at least hope to find some more humans. There’s a severe “dame shortage” so, though Commander Matthew Reddy and Nurse Sandra Tucker are in love with each other, they know they must not indulge their feelings because it might lower the morale of the rest of the destroyermen.

There’s plenty to keep them occupied meanwhile
David
Jan 14, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taylor Anderson has written a gripping story as he continues the tale of World War II era servicemen somehow transported (with their destroyers) to an alternate earth with odd creatures and cultures. This is an action filled tale that deals with battle much more than anything else.

Our heroes, stuck in this alternate world, have chosen to side with one race (a lemur-like cat people) over a vicious race (lizard-like man eating people- who kill and consume their victims and seem to be pure evil.)-
Glen Robinson
Jan 05, 2015 Glen Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re like me and like alternate history/military sci-fi stories, and if you happened to pick up Into the Storm, the first book in the Destroyermen series, then the news that this is more of the same should be good news.

Crusade continues where Into the Storm left off, with two (yes two) ancient U.S. destroyers from 1942 transported to an alien version of earth, complete with dinosaurs, monstrous carnivorous fish, one alien lizard-like race that wants to eat everyone, and another lemurian rac
T.M.
Oct 18, 2014 T.M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this second installment of the Destroyermen series. Had just the right amounts of action, and the characters really stand out in this one. It isn't often that a story gets me choked up, but I'd have to say that the burial scene in this one did the trick. And of course, nothing works better than giving enough twists and turns to make you wonder who's going to survive and who isn't. Looking forward to picking up the next in the series.
Jeff Miller
Aug 23, 2011 Jeff Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story continues to develop and keeps the action up at a high-level with some nice plot introductions.

One criticism I had of the first book of the crew of the U.S.S. Walker seeming to be totally irreligious while the natives having a primitive religion are answered in the second book as much more of the crewman's faith is talked about at least generally.

This series is the equivalent of a good summer popcorn movie.

Alex
"Crusade" is book #2 of the Destroyermen series. This seems to be a transitional novel leading to the big battle for all the marbles in book #3 "Maelstrom". I'm reading book 3 right now and you could probably skip this book and go straight to #3. Nevertheless, this book is good and I'd read it again.

The story: The USS Walker is trying to build a grand alliance of the Lemurians... descendants of ancient lemurs in this parallel universe that the men and women of the World War I destroyer Walker fi
Scott Marlowe
Nov 02, 2011 Scott Marlowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read with plenty of action and suspense. The character development remains a bit shallow, but there's enough going on that I often overlooked this. Can't wait for book 3 and I assume the final confrontation with the Japanese battlecruiser, Amagi.
Colin
Mar 26, 2015 Colin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More of the same, but that's a good thing.

Crusade starts us off right where we were left with book one in the series. Mr. Anderson gives us a whole heaping of two things that were great about the first book: great plot and great characters. Crusade re-introduces an old nemesis that may have been forgotten by the end of the first book, completely changing the war that the AEF is fighting. We are also treated to several chapters from the perspectives of the enemy, giving us further insight into th
Keith Allingham
Jan 06, 2016 Keith Allingham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jaye
Mar 30, 2016 Jaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tore through this one. At the end of the first book, the crew of USS Walker learned that there were more Grik than they had previously imagined, and that they were hell-bent on destroying the Lemurians and their human allies. The news isn't all bad, as they recovered the lost USS Mahan, as well as a crash-landed PBY Catalina. Toward the end, they learn that the Japanese cruiser Amagi came through the Squall as well, and for whatever reason have allied themselves with the Grik.

This series conti
D.w.
Dec 11, 2009 D.w. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
At one point while reading this I was wondering when I could catch my breath, because there was no break for an end to the chapter. Then I scanned ahead, and found that these chapters were 100 pages... This is the second book, and ROC is a big publisher, but have they let their editorial staff go? The author has an idea, and a story. But he has problems.

First is believability which I pointed out after the first book, these guys are going to be making and creating things way beyond their capabili
James
Jul 08, 2013 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book very much picked up where the last one left off, easily hitting the promise of the first book. A great tale, that should be read as a perfect example of this genre. Four Stars.

Plot : Four Stars

Full of action on land, sea and air, this book was just chock full of adrenaline and excitement. It managed to weave a tale you couldn't help but fall into. The atmosphere was so realistic, so engaging; you felt the strain and fear of emerging from WWII into a alternate reality, of being cut off
Gordon
Aug 25, 2012 Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: destroyermen
One thing I will say about this book that put me off when I stated reading it was that it only has 4 chapters. Its a 400 page book, so you can imagine it was somewhat challenging to read in short spurts. I'm the kind of reader that, when I read I read to the end of a chapter before I out the book down; in this case that wasn't possible but looking back now I sort of see the point in the ridiculously long chapters. Some authors can hit a wall with character progression and as chapters end, so doe ...more
Neil
Aug 13, 2014 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the series. Had a hard time putting this book down; one major downside was the size of those chapters! They were 100 pages each, on average, so for a four hundred page book, not many chapters! But still a fun read.

I felt like there was more peripheral character development in this book, which is not a bad thing. I found myself caring for more characters in this book than the first. So I will definitely be interested in reading the next book in the series. The author is a bit surpr
Andrew
Feb 29, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good first sequel in the book, in it we learn of that has been happening with the enemy the Grik and more about them as a species. We also learn that the Japanese battleship Amagi managed to survive the battle before the the Walker was transported to this earth as well and that their captain has gone quite mad. Overall a great book and a worthy read, better then the first one in my opinion and i look forward to seeing where the series goes from here.
I.F. Adams
"What if" is one of my favorite genres of fantasy and sci-fi. This one is not hugely remarkable within that growing subset of fiction, but its fun nontheless. In this case, continuing the saga of the crew of a world war 2 destroyer that winds up on an alternate earth where 2 intelligent species are fighting one another, with humans from various eras having had influence on the respective races.

Fun. Will be continuing the series.
Andreas
Feb 25, 2015 Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the events of Into the Storm, the humans of Walker and their Lemurian allies prepare their defenses for the inevitable Grik onslaught. Initial optimism is tempered by the realization that the threat is much greater than they initially thought.

While Into the Storm was somewhat tentative, the series hits its stride in this book. A real page turner. Mr. Anderson also gives freer rein to the often comical idiosyncrasies of his characters, adding a note of absurdist humor to the narrative.

http:
Tomasz
Feb 04, 2014 Tomasz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seria trzyma w miarę poziom, czyli 3,5. Fabuła rozwija się dość przewidywalnie. Ci dobrzy mają pod górkę, ale przecież walczą, wojna przerzedza szeregi ocalałych z załogi "Walkera" i "Mahana", lemury toczą bój o przetrwanie, a griki tylko myślą, jak napchać ssakami swoje brzuchu. Sporo heroizmu. Klasycznego. Amerykańskiego spod gwiazd i pasów. Dla miłośników militarnego SF (tudzież historii alternatywnych i ich pochodnych).
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • 1633 (Assiti Shards, #2)
  • Invincible (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #2)
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)
  • How Firm a Foundation (Safehold, #5)
  • Upsetting the Balance (Worldwar, #3)

Destroyermen (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1)
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
  • Blood in the Water (Destroyermen, #11)

“When the report came that the American destroyer was actually towing the enormous enemy ship, once again something stirred within him. Rather than make an easy escape, the destroyer had done everything she could to aid her slower consort. That was honor. They may be the enemy, but Sato could still find it within himself to respect them for what they’d done.” 0 likes
“How little he’d known at the time; beneath his nervousness and protestation a warrior was what he was. Or perhaps, deep down, he knew it all along. Maybe that was why he allowed himself to be bullied and never tried to win the frequent bouts of his youth. Or maybe he was afraid of what he’d become. Afraid he would like it.” 0 likes