Start by marking “The Shepherd's Song” as Want to Read:
The Shepherd's Song

The Shepherd's Song

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Joshua ben Levi, a young Judean shepherd, is in search of a miracle. His wife, Miriam, is expecting their first baby, but complications threaten to take the lives of both mother and child. In desperate need of God s help, Joshua journeys to the temple in Jerusalem to make an offering and to pray. What follows is a compassionate, emotional story about God s love as Joshua b ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Deseret Book (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shepherd's Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shepherd's Song

Caroline Heeb Hicks
Dec 14, 2014 Caroline Heeb Hicks rated it it was amazing
This quick read gives an amazing fictional view point from the perspective of a shepherd about Christ's birth. I LOVE how it's a fictional story with all sorts of historic information about Jews/House of Israel, the Law of Moses, Jerusalem and the temple. It also has an amazing inspirational message. I would highly recommend everyone to read this as we move into the holiday season to remind us of our Savior. Oct 2011

Read this again this year for the Christmas season. I read it in 2 hours just on
Mary Lou
Jan 29, 2014 Mary Lou rated it liked it
Cute short story book. A good read at Christmas time. Some of my favorite quotes:

"God created today for us To live and to love, In the safety of His fold, God will bless us today"

We always had enough food, enough shelter, enough clothing, enough love

"If the worst happens, will you cry your allegiance to God today?"

"True faith and worship require offering the best and most precious things to God"

The greatest sacrifice is you, it is charity. When you make that sacrifice, it empowers you and sets y
Beth Pearson
Dec 10, 2015 Beth Pearson rated it liked it
An OK story. Actually the story was sweet. It just took me awhile to get into it. It seemed a little drug out. I actually enjoyed learning more about the day to day life of people during that tie....the culture, the traditions, the rules. Even though it is a fictional story, I still felt like I learned things. I'm guessing the author did research. The location of Jesus's birth was so symbolic....it definitely seemed a possibility as there is so much symbolism in the Bible and religion. Gave me s ...more
Heather
Feb 06, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
I wouldn't normally read a book like this but I did enjoy it. I really liked the historical fiction part. I liked hearing/understanding what life might have really been like when Christ was born. I wondered how many of the places/cultural roles/ laws and others things mentioned were real vs. the author's interpretation of what might have been. It would be cool to research that a bit.
Sally
Dec 06, 2009 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latter-day-saint
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was very uplifting and truly brought in the Christmas Spirit.

A poor, humble shepherd, named Joshua, is expecting his first child. His wife was lost two before and may lose this third one along with her own life. Joshua decide's to make the long journey to the temple in Jerusalem to pray and offer a sacrifice for his wife. Along the way he meets different people who who are in need during the horrid tax season. He gives of himself selflessly to those who
Dorry Lou
Nov 09, 2015 Dorry Lou rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book with much sadness in it for me. It held my attention and is one I probably will never forget. It is about a miracle that a young shepherd man needs and how he went about making it happen.
Emily Osborne
Dec 19, 2015 Emily Osborne rated it really liked it
A sweet story that places you right in the middle of the birth of Jesus Christ. It was so tender - it made me cry!
Tanya
Dec 17, 2011 Tanya rated it really liked it
I suppose I was expecting something more from this simple little story, because it made such a powerful impact on my mom last year that she gave a copy to all the kids. I did think it was touching, but not all that original. It felt like My Turn on Earth inserted in the middle of the Nativity story!

That being said, I thought Barkdull did a great job of inserting details about the time's culture and history. Joshua was a well-written multi-faceted character, and I really cared what happened to M
Cherie
Dec 03, 2010 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
The other day I picked up this small paperback book for only $1.99 at Deseret Book because I wanted to read several Christmas stories this month, and because this one cost so little. What a bargain it was! It is worth a hundred times more. In fact, what I learned from this little book is priceless!
(To my family---don't go out and get this book on my recommendation, because I am going to buy more of them and present one to each of you!) This little book will add to your celebration of the birth o
Amy
Dec 20, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, christmas, 2010
It was nice to read a Christmas book set during the time and place of the Savior's birth. It provided some interesting insights and opinions into the nativity story (for example, the location of the stable as well as the time being in the early spring during Passover). It gave me new things to think about.

However, for being such a short book, it really dragged for me. There were far too many superlatives and nondescript adjectives.
Alice
May 31, 2011 Alice rated it really liked it
While reading, I found myself wanting to be more like a shepherd, living a simple, reverent and humble life. Joshua is an ordinary man, with real concerns and trials. He has to dig deep within himself to find where his faith and testimony really are. I enjoyed learning of the customs for marriage and the betrothal process, and I have been intrigued while reading more about the culture. Great little book.

Marshall
Jan 01, 2011 Marshall rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Marshall by: no one
The Shepherds Song by Larry Barkdull was a very quick read and I found myself caught up as a young man Joshua ben Levi pondered what to do as his wife lay bleeding to death and a baby in the womb that hasn’t moved in a few days. The mid-wife sent him away while the mid-wives did their best. Joshua closed the front door behind him, with tears streaming down his face…
Mary Lou
Dec 14, 2013 Mary Lou rated it really liked it
Need a quick read to lift your spirits this holiday? I liked how this short story brought the shepherd hills around Bethlehem into a real setting. This is a glimpse into a simple shepherd's life and trials, and how the hope and promise and reality of the Messiah can heal the heart. This same Messiah can heal our hearts today.
Janette
Jan 21, 2010 Janette rated it liked it
I heard a discussion about this book on the radio. They talked about symbolism in things concerning Christ's birth that I had never heard before. I thought the book would be really good, but I enjoyed the radio discussion more than the book. A nice story though.
Angela
Dec 21, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
A perfect story to read at Christmas time to remind you of what Christmas is all about. The story of the birth of the Savior from the viewpoint of a young shepherd. A beautiful story. Not too long but not too short.
Kay
Dec 28, 2010 Kay rated it liked it
I was given this sweet book as a Christmas gift from a friend and read it on Christmas eve and Christmas day. It helped me to focus on the true meaning of Christmas and increased my understanding of the culture at the time of Jesus' birth.
Kristen
Oct 22, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Such a beautiful story! Although the author was repetitive at times and got lost in explanations, the story was just beautiful. It truly reminded me of why we celebrate Christmas and the hope that came (and comes) with the Savior's birth.
Bre
Oct 07, 2009 Bre rated it really liked it
What an sweet, amazing story! It's the retelling of the traditional Christmas Story from a shepherd's point of view; perfect for the holiday season. I loved it, but I definitely needed some tissues by the time I was finished!
Jeanette
Jan 09, 2011 Jeanette rated it really liked it
This sweet little book is a favorite Christmas tale. Not saccharin and marshmallows. It weaves together the Hebrew traditions and principles of sacrifice with the Christmas story with intelligence and reflection.
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
A great short christmas novel! Written from the perspective of a young shepherd I was enchanted by his narrative of being a shepherd at the birth of Jesus Christ! A great read to put you into the Christmas spirit! :)
Ryan Stoddard
Dec 22, 2013 Ryan Stoddard rated it really liked it
Touching book. It definitely can bring a tear to your eyes. It is a perfect quick Christmas read that will remind you of how much our Savior truly loves each one of us.
Kylie
Dec 06, 2010 Kylie rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Probably more of a 3.5, the end redeemed it for me. It is a good book with interesting insight on the birth of Christ from the point of view of the sheperds, but not my new favorite by any means.
Andie
Absolutely beautiful book! My understanding of Christ's birth has been greatly expanded. To be able to write such a story with such beautiful language, the author must truly be an amazing person!
Paula Schumm
Dec 11, 2013 Paula Schumm rated it it was amazing
A Shepherd's Song is a fictionalized account of one of the shepherds the angel visited after the birth of Christ. The author is LDS, not what I subscribe to, but his story is moving and engaging.
Jodi Robinson
Dec 08, 2009 Jodi Robinson rated it liked it
Enjoyed this sweet Christmas tale. I read Larry's Barkdull's book called the "Mourning Dove" a few years ago and really loved its message. That was my favorite of his.
Dianna
Dec 12, 2009 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Simple story of faith, prayer, kindness, love, and Christ. Set in Bethlehem, this poignant story of a Shepherd will bring tears to your eyes, and make you smile. I loved it.
Kit
Dec 12, 2010 Kit rated it it was amazing
WOW! A whole new way to view the Savior's birth! Read it in two days, could have read it sooner, but I read at bedtime. Quick read for any one who reads a lot.
Kelli
Dec 30, 2009 Kelli rated it really liked it
Good little Christmas story. Quick, easy read, but gives a unique (although fictional) perspective on Christ's birth.
Dec 22, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
Good little story. Enjoyed the historical perspectives in it.
Meesa
Jan 16, 2011 Meesa rated it it was amazing
I cried during the whole thing.. but loved it. It was a good cry. Really thought prevocating.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I am a longtime publisher and writer of books, music, art and magazines. My most recent books are Priesthood Power–Blessing the Sick and the Afflicted and Rescuing Wayward Children. I have just completed a major 5-book doctrinal series called The Three Pillars of Zion, which was announced August 2009. I have created two Facebook groups called, “Rescuing Wayward Children” and “Three Pillars of Zion ...more
More about Larry Barkdull...