Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization

Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  31 reviews
This remarkable book will forever change the debate about what's wrong and what's right with American education and where it should be going. Based on his own experience as a student in China and as a parent of children attending school in the United States, Zhao skewers conventional wisdom while setting straight the recent history and current state of U.S. schools. To mak...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development

To ask other readers questions about Catching Up or Leading the Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching Up or Leading the Way

Teacherhuman
Zhao says "...what China wants is what America is eager to throw away--an education that respects individual talents, supports divergent thinking, tolerates deviation, and encourages creativity; a system in which the government does not dictate what students learn or how teachers teach; and culture that does not rank or judge the success of a school, a teacher, or a child based on only test scores in a few subjects determined by the government..."
In the end, the author tells us American educati...more
amyextradot
Okay, I'm really starting this on Sunday, because that's when my BIL is bringing it to me. It's for class, but I'm really interested to hear what this guy has to say about the downsides of the Chinese education system, since the school board, super, and politicians are bemoaning the fact that we suck and China rocks.

This was a pretty amazing read...it solidified in my mind that "my" way of teaching (and that of, well, pretty much all of my teacher-friends) is the right way, and the conservative...more
Ms.Given
A sensible and forward thinking look at education in the US and in other countries. Puts all the rhetoric about what's wrong with American schools into perspective and offers a vision of how to expand what we already do well in order to prepare students for a different world.
Nasir Kotelensky
This book is written for both educators and policy makers in an attempt to dispel the common belief that American education is in a crisis and that American jobs are at risk.

In a time when the nation has turned its attention to testing and accountability, Zhao provides a fresh perspective and some new ideas to the dialogue. While it is true that globalization and technology have led to some unique challenges in education, the move towards increasing math and reading to the exclusion of other cou...more
Chase Parsley
Wow, what a refreshing perspective on education in America today! Yong Zhao, who grew up in China and is a professor in the United States, writes a mind-bending account of the dangers of increased "accountability", standards, and all of the other magic bullets associated with the current education reform movement. Despite honest intentions, it is an outrage what the education reform movement is doing today.

Some of my favorite points include: how test scores really do not matter when analyzed in...more
Jamie
This is a important book to read. It got me a bit fired up. The content is timely – education reform and international comparison – and Zhao is particularly qualified to speak to the relative merits of the Chinese vs. American educational systems. He provides a overview of the history of reform in the United States – the “evolution of accountability,” provides a description of each country’s (America/China)education system, discusses the kind of education we need for the future, and provides a t...more
Claudia
This was a very thoughtful argument for the 'old' American education system -- the one that celebrates talent shows, even if the kids participating have minimal talent. The one that applauds diversity and nurtures creativity.

This sounds a lot like the education I received years ago, when standardized tests where taken in a day, and forgotten. When teachers taught us, knew us. When high school was a chance to try out: art, music. Sciences. Languages. We could see what we liked, what we had an aff...more
Sue Lyle
This is a fascinating read by a Chinese man brought up in china and now an academic in the west. He identifies why china wants to be more like the US and way the US wants to be more like china. His critique with Evidence and personal experience to support his argument claims that america is doing well In education and china is not. It is the US that is producing the critical thinkers, the creative minds, the innovative scientists and entrepreneurs - not china. It is the US that wins the Olympics...more
Nancy
A strong, well-developed argument for changing course in education "reform" in America. Published four years ago, right after Obama was elected, I was surprised to see how prescient the book is in describing the persistence of a wrong-headed, government-sponsored grand theory of how to "fix" education in the U.S: tests, standardization, and meaningless competition.

The book would be a great overview for anyone who hasn't been deeply immersed in education policy and change. Yong Zhao's global pers...more
Elin
I just can't bring myself to give 5 stars to non-fiction - I can't imagine I'll ever like it that much.

But I did enjoy this and it was a pretty quick easy read with some interesting points. I am very much looking forward to talking to some of my friends who know more about China then I do. I am especially interested in his assertion that standardized testing is what caused China to stop inventing. i.e. they invented paper, gunpowder, etc. and then they introduced the imperial examinations and ki...more
David Rickert
The beginning part of this book was pretty dry - a bunch of statistics on testing in China and America and where both countries have gone astray in their educational systems. Once Zhao begins to analyze the skills that are needed to thrive in a global economy, it turned into a pretty captivating read. There are a lot of skills that we definitely need to teach kids in order for them to thrive today, and a lot of them deal with being able to navigate the virtual world. One I'd definitely like to r...more
Jane
The great part of the book is its accurate critique of the culture of testing and how American schools still excel over others in terms of fostering individuals and creativity, critical thinking. Clear examples of how Chinese and other systems are NOT better and in fact are trying to emulate us to get away from testing. His remedies concentrate on global thinking and aren't as clear as his case against top-down dictating of standards and tests (unless it is a narrow band of standards...)
Zeni
Zhao only summarizes education reform over the past few decades, and how the current standards movement has decreased our students ability to succeed in a global world. This is contradictory to what public opinion thinks. Most people are under the impression that the United States is behind in education, and that we are not preparing our students. According to Zhao, the opposite is true. If you have ANY interest in education, read this book!
Sheila  MacDowell
I thought Zhao was interesting when he wrote about the fear and anger that surrounds this conversation. I enjoyed his philosophical overview but for me he became too generalized by the middle of the book. I liked the cross-cultural comparison between China and the United States and it helped me to reflect on my own experiences growing up in Ireland. (You'll have to buy me a guinness to get more from me about that!)
Seth
Zhao works from the perspective that the goal of education is to ensure that the most potential is realized. The American system has its weaknesses, but probably does not do well to focus on improving test scores. Asian countries with the high test scores narrow their talent pools too early and end up with a less creative, less motivated workforce.
An interesting read.
Katie
If you are an American educator you really should read this book- it took me a long time to absorb the content but it is a great perspective from a Chinese educated MSU professor on why we may not really want to set up our system to imitate China's. He gives very compelling and rational examples while making his points.
Irene
Great book with lots of convincing arguments in favor of un-standardizing and against high-stakes testing. The author's cultural insights into American philosophy is poignant, and I believe he answered a lot of unanswerable questions.
Zhi Jian
A book comparing the pros and cons of US and Asian education systems and the future of education.
A good book for all educators teaching in our globalized world.
Debbie
Critical look at the impact of standardized testing in American schools. Author takes a very different stance than I thought at the start of the book.
Brian
Great flow of information about education. It starts with the comparisons and moves to a more practical look with a visionary ending. Teachers must read this!
Susan
Obvious ideas including old tricks... multiple intelligences & differentiation. Should be required reading for students studying to be teachers!
Bill
A must read for anyone concerned with education. It tells how we got into this current mess, and, more importantly, what we can do to get out of it.
Jim Burnette
This author has a perspective on US education that is unique and insightful. I recommend this book to all. His second book is even better, however.
Michael Burgher
Great information and ideas in this book, but is so very dry it is hard to keep going. Read it as a part of my masters in education.
Kimberly
Jul 03, 2010 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kimberly by: msspanishteacher@hotmail.com
Really interesting insights in this book on the future of education and the current state of U.S. schools vs schools in China.
Carol
This is one of the best books I read on American education moving forward into a global setting.
Sydney Lewis
Great perspective on the future of education in America.
Jordan Stecz

Every educator should read this!
Ali
I miss reading for pleasure! :(
Danielle
Interesting points of view.
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future
  • The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It
  • Finnish Lessons: What Can the World Learn from Educational Change in Finland?
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Why School?
  • How the Brain Learns
  • The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Why School?: How Education Must Change When Learning and Information Are Everywhere
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Craft Lessons
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement
  • Net Smart: How to Thrive Online
  • iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
World Class Learners: Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial Students Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Dragon: Why China Has the Best (and Worst) Education System in the World Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization Handbook of Asian Education: A Cultural Perspective What Should Teachers Know about Technology?: Perspectives and Practices