Start by marking “Powers Of Detection: Stories Of Mystery & Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Powers Of Detection: Stories Of Mystery & Fantasy

Powers Of Detection: Stories Of Mystery & Fantasy (Nightside)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  1,308 ratings  ·  89 reviews
This one-of-a-kind collection features stories from some of the biggest names in mystery and fantasy-blending the genres into a unique hybrid where PIs may wear wizard's robes and criminals may really be monsters.

Sit in on a modern-day witch's trial, visit the halls of a magical boarding school with murder on the curriculum, spend some time with Sookie Stackhouse, visit Lo
Published October 5th 2004 by Ace Trade (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Powers Of Detection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers Of Detection

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I found this one at the used bookstore and snapped it up. This collection is a good way to get introduced to the occult detective sub-genre of urban fantasy. It has a nice mix of stories, including a Simon R. Green Nightside story and a Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse story, which actually encouraged me to finally start reading this series. In fact, I like this short story better than the first book in the series Dead Until Dark. Probably because it had some faery elements lacking in the firs ...more
Susan
I've read the following so far:

"The Nightside, needless to say" by Simon R. Green. Not John Turner, but Larry Oblivion.

"The Price" by Anne Bishop was cool...

"Fairy Dust" by Charlaine Harris is *why* I bought the book. Sookie Stackhouse!
shartyrant
Sep 05, 2008 shartyrant rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of anthologies, mystery fantasy, fans of Sookie, anne bishop
Recommended to shartyrant by: anne bishop's website
A nice mix of urban fantasy, horror, fantasy and science fiction around a common theme. I can't say I liked EVERY story, but I liked the majority of them which means I am keeping this one!

I originally bought this for the short story, "The Price", by Anne Bishop that features one of my favorite characters from her Black Trilogy, Surreal. This short story is reprinted in the hardcover, THE TANGLED WEB so no need to get this book for the story now. It is one of my favorite stories by Ms. Bishop. A
Vanity
Fairy Dust by Charlaine Harris
The Price by Anne Bishop
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Collection of Mystery & Fantasy stories

- Fairy Dust by Charlaine Harris - This story is okay. It's part of the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire series. I'm not thrilled with this story overall. It's about a fairy triplet's death and solving her murder. Alot of what I don't like about it is that the triplets left, Claude and Claudine don't seem to act like themselves, or as they do in the regular novels.

- Justice is a two-edged sword by Dana Stabenow - I was surprised it was a fantasy sto
Karen
Like most short story collections, there were stories that I really liked a lot and stories that I didn't like at all as well as many in between. As I had expected, my three favorite stories were the ones by Charlaine Harris (I thought I had missed something in Definitely Dead - I wondered who Claude was and now I know!), Anne Bishop (I love the world she has created and it was fun to get a Surreal story), and Sharon Shinn (although I figured out who did it before the main character, I still lik ...more
Andrew
It amazes me how much of an influence an editor has over my enjoyment of the stories in an anthology. I've learned that some editors have a tendency to rush from climax to conclusion, allowing as little as a paragraph for the fact that “it's over” to sink in. Other times, the editor allows the authors so much leeway that they don't even appear to bother with such elements as “structure”, “characters”, “setting” or “plot” - and would be tempted to do away with “verbs” if at all possible!

This is w
Leah
This anthology was one of the better ones I've read recently. Out of the twelve stories presented I enjoyed nine of them. My favorites included Cold Spell by Donna Andrews, The Nightside, Needless to Say by Simon R. Green, Palimpest by Laura Anne Gilman, and Justice Is A Two-Edged Sword by Dana Stabenow. The Price by Anne Bishop, Fairy Dust by Charlaine Harris, The Sorcerer’s Assassin by Sharon Shinn, Cairene Dawn by Jay Caselberg and The Death of ClickClickWhistle by Mike Doogan were pretty goo ...more
Kate
I enjoyed most of the stories. I read the anthology of fantasy mysteries because of the short story by Sharon Shinn, which I liked, although it wasn't brilliant (I think Shinn is generally better when her stories are at least novella length). Some of the stories didn't seem to be mysteries, though, such as The Boy Who Chased Seagulls, which (view spoiler) ...more
Amanda
I initally got this book because it had a short story written by Anne Bishop and since I loved her Blood series, decided I would check it out. I was pleased to discover a short story written by Charlaine Harris as well, and since I am currently reading the Sookie Stackhouse books it was perfect timing. This story happens after book 3 and introduces Claudine's brother Claude and explains how they became owners of the strip club Hooligans. The stories by my two favorite authors were great, but the ...more
Kathy
This is another collection of short stories from a variety of authors. I only read the one by Sharon Shinn entitled "The Sorcerer's Assassin". This story takes place at the Norwitch Academy of Magic and Sorcery, where a recent murder of one of the senior wizards has just taken place and the headmistresses, Camalyn, must try and figure out which of her four remaining peers has committed the assassination. For only being sixteen pages it was still a fun read, although over a bit too quickly for my ...more
Tricia
Only read the Charlaine Harris story - this is another Sookie Stackhouse story that is not necessary to the story, but it involves Sookie, Claudine, and Claude and is an interesting addition. It is a little more background on those 2 characters and a little more explanation about some things with them that are otherwise just taken for granted in the regular series. The events of this story are mentioned to in the 8th or 9th book though, which will probably be confusing to the reader if they've n ...more
Mike

I love fantasy novels and I love mysteries. It probably comes as no surprise that I really enjoyed this book. This collection of short stories about magical murder mysteries is fun and an interesting look into our need for law, punishment and sometimes the motivations that drive us to kill, either in the pursuit of justice or in pursuit of darker purposes.

As always with anthologies you have some good stuff and some bad. This one has some great stuff, but it also has a few stinkers. Nothing to ru

harlequin {Stephanie}
The Death of Clickclickwhistle - Mike DOogan - 1 Stars
Cairene Dawn - Jay Caselberg - 1 Stars
Justice is a Two-edged Sword -
Amber
I only read the Sookie story, so I can't speak to the rest of the book.

I read this becaues it was recommended to read in the Sookie timeline, but I'm not sure I needed to in order to keep going with the story.

It was interesting to learn more abou the fairy, Claudine. Otherwise, it was a pretty standard Sookie story - Sookie gets asked by supernatural creature to read some human minds that are suspected of doing something terrible -- Sookie reads minds and finds out the answer -- supernatureal
Anne
This is it. The book that started me reading paranormal and the Sookie Stackhouse SVM stories. I proceeded to read the rest of the books available at the time with the #9 coming out just about 6 weeks after I read this short story. I was hooked and it has totally changed my life.

I got this because I had an author alert at the library for Dana Stabenow for her mysteries. This is mostly paranormal / science fiction / fantasy which I used to read but kind of lost when I worked all the time. I foun
Nan
I bought this book in order to read the Sookie Stackhouse story by Charlaine Harris. It fills in a bit of backstory regarding Claudine and her brother Claude, but I'm not certain if it was really necessary.

I had the same response after reading Harris's short story "One Word Answer" in Bite. That one served as a necessary bridge before Definitely Dead, but it didn't read very well as a short story. It seemed more like a chapter of a book that was cut out.

I love Harris's novels, but I'm starting
Teddy
I enjoyed most of this book, but it falls into the same trap many of these anthologies do, where the author decides to give us a chunk of their existing world. Which is great if you're familiar with the world, but I wasn't with a number of these (the Sookie Stackhouse novels are on my to-read pile, and I think I should have tackled those first.) OTOH when the author does a good job of setting up the world rather than assuming you're familiar, I want more (Sharon Shinn's story does this), so the ...more
Midnight Blue
A nice blend of Fantasy and Science Fiction detective short stories.
phaedra lewis
For me, collections of short stories are always a mixed bag. Inevitably I'll find a few that were obviously added to make up the length, or find a story so truncated it never reaches its potential. While not every story in this book was entirely to my tastes, all of them were good, engaging, well written yarns-no dross here. A couple of my favorite authors were represented, but there was a range of ones I am not familiar with that I intend to look into.
Deb
This is a good collection for those who like a mystery mixed with fantasy and/or science fiction.I have met an author here and gone on to read their novels (or not). You will might old friends here, some unexpectedly.You might expect to find Charlaine Harris,Simon Green, or Laura Anne Gilman, but there are also offerings from John Straley, Dana Stabenow or Anne Perry. See also Unusual Suspects, a more recent collection by the same editors.
krin
These stories are a great mix of fantasy and mystery, with one having a science fiction motif. I liked Simon R. Green's story of a detective who solves his own murder in the Nightside (The Nightside, Needless to Say), Sookie Stackhouse's interaction with local fairies in Charlaine Harris's Fairy Dust and the sometime humorous account of an alien murder investigation in Mike Doogan's The Death of Clickclickwhistle.
Cen
Of this collection, I was only interested in/read the one by Anne Bishop. Perhaps I should have given the others a go, but I was so excited at the prospect of a 'new' Black Jewels Trilogy story that I completely ignored them. That being said... the one story I read was brilliant. I love the character of Surreal and it was nice to read a short story that so completely revolved around her.
Librisdraconis
I enjoyed the book overall, but it was very obvious that Stabenow hadn't previously written much (or any) fantasy. I was disappointed in her story; very typical sword/sorcery.

If a person has a limited budget, I'd advise getting the anthology that was written by the fantasy writers doing mystery, not the mystery writers doing fantasy. If it's not limited, both are good reads.
Molly
I like anthologies because it is a way get a taste of some authors I've never heard of or read before. There were some good stories in hear and some I didn't like, too. Overall, it was a neat series of stories with the fantasy detection theme and provided amusment for the time I was reading it and introduced me to a couple of authors I might consider looking into more.
Diane ~Firefly~
Some of the stories were good and the rest were just ok. I am more interested in starting Anne Bishop's Black Jewel books after reading her short. I thought the Sookie wasn't bad (and I never could get through the first book). Simon Green's was also good (but I'm a fan). The rest were just ok. Nothing special and they didn't tempt me to search out more by the authors.
Laz the Sailor
Although I am not usually a fan of short stories, these are all definitely high-quality. The range of "paranormal" activity in each story varies. Some are simply told from a unique perspective (eg the POV of a raven), others are fully immersed in magic and mayhem. Stabenow gathers a strong group of authors, some of whom are writing outside their normal series.
Iroquois
***Only read Charlaine Harris/Sookie Stahouse related story in this anthology, thus rating is for this story alone******

Story is called "Fairy Dust" and I loved it! It has Sookie, and the fairy siblings Claude & Claudine. U learn a lot more about the fairies in this one, and the story really holds up to the way the novels in the series read.
Nancy
Oct 26, 2008 Nancy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans
Recommended to Nancy by: hubby
Okay the hubby picked this one up for me so I was like okay...but this is a nice collection of short stories, mystery and fantasy, by writes like anne perry, charlaine harris, simon r. green, and sharon shinn and others..., the Charlaine Harris was cool. The whole fairy thing was good cause now I have to find out if they caught her...

Connie Easlick
Sookie only took up 20 pages here, but a mystery none the less. No romance really, who could do both in 20 pages?!
I read almost all the stories in this book and I liked most of them very well.
I most liked Donna Andrews, Anne Bishop, Sharon Shinn and Dana Stabenow.
The stories were all varied and had some form of otherworldliness.
Great job!
  • Night's Edge
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side
  • Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural
  • Strange Brew
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Treachery and Treason
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...
A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1) Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3) Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6) A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2) Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)