Start by marking “Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Twenty five years later, revisiting the first authorized biography of Apple and its co-founder and celebrity CEO, Steve Jobs
In 1984, "The Little Kingdom: The Private Story of Apple Computer" told the story of Apple's first decade alongside the histories of Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Now, completely revised and expanded, "Return to the Little Kingdom" is the definitive
Published October 1st 2009 by Overlook Press

To ask other readers questions about Return to the Little Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to the Little Kingdom

Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickThe Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StolliWoz by Steve Wozniak
Silicon Valley
205th out of 212 books — 236 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahSteal Like an Artist by Austin KleonThe $100 Startup by Chris GuillebeauOutliers by Malcolm Gladwell
The People's Library for Success
125th out of 163 books — 230 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon
This book is a great revisit to the 70s for me. Not many people know or even remember that Apple sold memory boards during the days of the Home Brew Club movement in now Silicon Valley first in the Byte Shop of Palo Alto and I was the person who sold them. I went to Jobs' family garage and picked them up (and occasionally experienced Jobs and Woz do their relationship thing - at times not a pretty sight) when I had orders -- all part of the emerging small computer world of the 70s. I keep to my ...more
Nicholas Piva
Apple started in a garage with the ingenious marketer Jobs along with his brainiac partner, Wozniak. If you want an in-depth synopsis of the book - read this book. My objective is to retell the novel facets this book has offered me.

Not many authors shed light on the primordial stages of a company by actually being there. Moritz started this book the same time the company started; he gives us an insight from literally being there and doesn't have to rely solely on books of the past because he is
Herve
After reading The Apple Revolution, I discovered Return to the Little Kingdom, subtitled How Apple and Steve Jobs Changed the World. It’s not just another book about Apple for 2 reasons: it was written in 1984 so when Apple, Inc was still Apple Computer, Inc and it was written by Michael Moritz, then a journalist at Time Magazine, but today one of the most famous venture capitalists, with investments in Yahoo and Google, just to mention two, although I must add that he has “a rare medical condit ...more
Mark Johnson
I got this book on my Kindle the evening Steve Jobs passed away and found it to be such a bittersweet read with so much that resonated for me. I became an Apple fanboy in the early 80's and was an early adopter of Macintosh technology starting with the 512 Mac. Ten years later an Apple research group discovered the work I was doing with graphics for litigation and hired me to make a commercial aimed at lawyers. I moved to silicon valley in 1993 to marry a marketing director for Apple and got a c ...more
Y
The book is not really an updated version. It's the same content as the Little Kingdom except it added Introduction and Epilogue. The story itself is also too outdated. It might have been a fascinating read in the 80's. Besides, if you want to know more about Steve Jobs, you will be disappointed. It focuses too much on how Apple Computer was founded way back in the late 70's.

But it had one of the most memorable quotes on Steve Jobs.

"He was always walking around barefoot. He was one of the frea
Robert Linnemann
This was an entertaining read but the writer lacked technical prowess. The newest version has an extra prologue and epilogue and made some mistakes explaining some things. For example he said the original iPod was based on Unix while the truth is that it was based on bought technology (Portal player) not at all related to unix. He also mentioned that the A4 processor was entirely Apple tech which is actually ARM tech.

It also ended on a horrible note mentioning Woz's US fest which was a total fai
Nic Brisbourne
"This is an interesting history of Apple - two memorable but inconsequential takeaways:
1) Steve Jobs didn't like the name Apple and only went after a long period of failing to come up with a better idea
2) Steve used to relieve his fatigue by massaging his feet in the flush of a toilet bowl..

It is also an interesting story of how some brilliant founders were helped by high quality angels to grow their company through at an almost unbelievable rate, and then how the 'professional' management lost
Tim Telcik
If you want to learn the origins of Apple and some of the history of Silicon Valley, this is a book worthy of consideration. So many thing happened to raise Apple from the garage to the monster corporation it is today. This book turned up many factoids and nuances lost by other books, including the official Steve Jobs biography. To top it off, Michael Moritz is a good historian and wrote an engaging book.
Lee
There wasn't too much detail of the technical innovations for me, but there was too much detail on the marketing and advertising. Switches often between the history leading up to Apple's first computer and the history leading up to the Macintosh, drawing some interesting parallels. On the other hand, the history leading up to the iPod is covered quickly in the epilogue. A surprising amount of profanity for such a book, in the quotes from various participants in the history.
Jay Robinson
Apr 05, 2011 Jay Robinson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jay by: Ed Spencer
This author is rather verbose and sesquipedalian, but I enjoyed the exclusive insights into the world of Apple. This book had the original scoop on folklore stories like those in Pirate of Silicon Valley. Considering I've heard these tall tales again and again, the most interesting fact to me was that Steve Jobs flushes his bare feet in the toilet when he needs to destress. (http://jwr.cc/x/9p)
Beto
I like to understand how things get started and how they grow. This books gives that insight of the era and the simplicity and naiveness of starting an industry where no rules applied only common sense.

This book also provides answers to some of the questions that the official biography left out. I was surprised how close they where in terms of facts.

It's not dated it's history!
Solor
Apple Computer Inc.; Year Zero. This is a well informed and written story of the origins of one of the most extraordinary story of American Capitalism. The aloof geniuses of the two Steves, Wozniak and Jobs, combine to take a vision from a suburb garage to the whole world and create a brand that is possible the most successful ever.
Michael Quinn
Learnt a few things about the early days of Apple.

The Apple I wasn't much of a hit at the Homebrew Computer Club.

Steve Jobs wasn't behind every myth in the early days of Apple. The whole management team was probably more involved than Steve.

Lots of other little things. I definitely know more now than when I started this.
Sean
Another very nice history of the early days at Apple. Focusing more purely on the company than on Steve Jobs, there are some nice stories in here. Also some very interesting tidbits on how Apple was financed, who its early investors were, etc.
Janet C.
Jun 19, 2012 Janet C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
The more I learn about Steve Jobs the more amazed I become. He was an incredibly brilliant individual and the world might not be where it is today technologically speaking if it weren't for his contributions. Another great read for me!
Ben Scott
this was an OK book

if you want a good bit of advice

read the part where they are building computers in their garage its cool, the rest is dull its all from the perspective of the author (someone who invests in tech firms)
Julie
This book was not what I thought it was be. I was as dry and excting as reading an owner's manual. I didn't even finish it. If you are suffering from insomnia, this would be a great book for you.
Jeff
Didn't really like this one, it is about how Apple computers was founded and the corporate culture in the 80's (?).
Aneesha
I hope it is as interesting as the author claims. This is the most BORING book I have ever read in my life
Atila Demirkasımoğlu
Türkçe çevirisi çok başarısız. İş bankasına yakışmamış.
Mmdms
Booked out By Steve Maidment 14/10/2010
Alkis Romeos
Very enlightening
Evan Kramer
Evan Kramer marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
نهاية شجاع
نهاية شجاع marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Mitul Patel
Mitul Patel marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • Infinite Loop: How Apple, the World's Most Insanely Great Computer Company, Went Insane
  • The Second Coming of Steve Jobs
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs, A Parody
  • Apple Confidential 2.0: The Definitive History of the World's Most Colorful Company
  • Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
  • The Cult of Mac
  • Inside Apple
  • iCon: Steve Jobs, the Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
  • I'm Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59
  • Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America
  • Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire
  • Appetite for Self-Destruction: The Spectacular Crash of the Record Industry in the Digital Age
  • The Apple Way
  • The Perfect Store: Inside eBay
  • Eniac: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the World's First Computer
  • Learn Objective-C on the Mac
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
The Little Kingdom: The Private Story of Apple Computer Going for Broke: Lee Iacocca's Battle to Save Chrysler Tod im Theaterhaus Roter Regen Zürcher Verschwörung (German Edition)