Loving Richard Feynman

Loving Richard Feynman

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Richard Feynman was a Nobel Prize-winning physicist. Catherine is a science-loving fifteen-year-old. Richard helped build the atom bomb. Catherine's just trying to survive school. When your life is falling apart around you, is talking to a dead physicist normal?
Published 2009 by University of Queensland Press

To ask other readers questions about Loving Richard Feynman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving Richard Feynman

Nomes
This book was refreshing and had it's own unique beat to it.

Catherine (protag) reminded me a smidgen of Bindy (Jaclyn Moriarty) although the writing is not dramatic or Moriarty-esque, it is written in diary format and it's fresh and funny and heart-felt. This book will resonate with many teenagers.

Catherine is such a cool nerd, awkward and smart and earnest. It was easy to feel that teen angst with her - reminded me of being back in school and studying and how huge exams and competitions are.

T...more
Lauredhel
Loving Richard Feynman is a fun little book about maths geek Catherine's life at high school and in a changing family, but it is also about her changing relationship with Feynman as she gradually reads his reminiscences in Surely You're Joking .

Writing her diary in letter form to Richard Feynman, Catherine admires him, scolds him, kisses him goodnight, talks to him about boys and science and family, asks him how he felt about atomic bombs, and gives him a good strong serve of feminist ire.

Cather...more
Tara Calaby
(2.5 stars)

I'm not sure I'm sciencey enough for Loving Richard Feynman. You see, it's a fairly standard contemporary novel for young adults, with mild coming-of-age themes, made different due to the protagonist's love for science and unique crush on a long-dead physicist. While I loved mathematics in high school and would very much have enjoyed the maths competition that Catherine takes part in, I never had the burning urge to study physics or to become a scientist when I grew up. So, in that se...more
Anthony Eaton
This is a lovely piece of Australian YA fiction, which has deservedly done well in the various awards this year.

It's kind of like 'The Search for Schrodinger's Cat' meets 'The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole' - Tangey has created a lovely character in her protagonist, Catherine, and has captured all the awkwardness of adolescence, but without resorting to cliche or to overly didactic storytelling. Instead, she's given us a beautifully rounded and cleverly conceived coming of age story which sits com...more
Vicki Stanton
Loved the whole concept of this book: a girl talking to a scientific genius like he was a rock star. Don't be scared off by the fact that the main character loves maths and science. I had so much empathy with her and science and maths are foreign languages to me. The story really excels when her family unravels.
Trisha
Aug 05, 2011 Trisha added it
This is a bit of a surprise packet. It's a charming and clever book, that doesn't try too hard. Catherine is a gawky and out-of-sync character, yet her insights and reactions all ring true-to-life. I loved the combination of science clashing with high school life.
Sophie
Teenage me would have LOVED this book. Fifteen year old Catherine writes letters to Richard Feynman (a dead physicist who worked on the atomic bomb) while attempting to come to terms with the events in her life, herself and the people around her. Writing that actually sounds like it was written by a girl her age (I swear I have hidden journals that sound exactly like this with all the fumbling writing, pettiness and self-doubt/self esteem issues alongside vague feelings of superiority). And refe...more
Maree
Sep 04, 2013 Maree rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maree by: Mands
Loving Richard Feynman was another really charming book and a real hidden gem of Aussie YA. Catherine is a socially challenged fifteen year old trying to fit in at school. To cope she begins writing a journal to Richard Feynman, a famous physicist who, if I’m honest, I’d never heard of before I started this. He was an important guy though, and I enjoyed learning about him through Catherine’s letters.

Just like Six Impossible Things, I understood and could relate to Catherine’s anger with her fath...more
David
The last Australian author I read was A.B.Patterson, so it was somewhat of a pleasure to encounter Penny Tangey's book quite by accident when I was looking for something by Richard Feynman. The premise is nearly a teenage girl's diary, with the interesting twist that it is in the form of letters written to Richard Feynman. Catherine is beginning her tenth year at school (a school year which begins in the Fall which is March, and ends in November, which is Spring). Her father has given her a post...more
Amy
This was the first of Penny Tangey's books that I read, lent to me by her mother-in-law, who knew I was a reader. I didn't really know what I was getting into with this book, but it had me hooked almost immediately. It has pride of place on my desk, in the small pile of my absolute favourite books, and after reading the copy I was lent, twice, we eventually went out and bought our own copy, which I have read countless times since then.
The book actually managed to get me interested in things such...more
Julia
hmmm half way through this book and I was unsure about it I've now finished it and I'm still confused. For some parts of the book I loved the honesty but others I didn't. There were a lot of parts in the book that felt I had to remind myself that Catherine was in year ten. The way she went about some things was very naive and childish. I have to say that while I didn't really like a lot about it this book was very refreshing and honest. The idea for the book was fantastic and I loved the letter...more
Jen
Catherine is a 15 year old, who loves science and maths. Her pin up is Richard Feynman, one of the scientists working on the development of the atom bomb. She begins writing to Richard in her diary, so she can tell someone about the problems in her life, which include her lack of friends, low self-esteem, problems with working with some of the members of her maths team and her parents' disintegrating marriage. Over the course of the novel, she has to come to terms with the changes in her family...more
Emespre
Australian + nerdy + meaningful insights = happy Emi.

Catherine, a fifteen-year-old who loves science, starts writing letters about her life to dead physicist Richard Feynman as she experiences changes in her life and her opinions of other people.

I don't normally get carsick, even when reading, but did today. Despite this, I just took brief breaks before continuing to read. Because it was a fantastic novel.
Avalon
this book was total and utter crap.
i hate every word and the main character was a boring person with nothing important or worthwhile to say.
stop polluting our world with this absolute shit hole of a book.

i was very very disappointed and saddened that i will never get that half an hour of my life back again - this book is a waste of paper and time.
♥MJ_Lover♥A7X_Lover♥ C.A.Anna♥Jimmy FoREVer
This book was actually not to bad. The main character, Catherine, actually sounded a lot like me. It was nice to read a book written in diary form, since i have read heaps od books that conform to the 'normal' way of writing as of late. Not a definate favorite and a fast read. I will pick it up again.

3.5/5 for me
MJ_Lover xx
Jenyy
i absolutely hate catherines attitude soo much and her personality as well. 'what is wrong with her?' is what some people wil be thinking when they read this novel.
Tracey
Oct 20, 2012 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Tracey by: no one..i just got the book from the libray
Shelves: favorites
Felix told catherine about hes home life and helping hes mum out before she died...Catherine understood..It was a nice book to read..and i enjoyed the storrie.
VeganMedusa
An Aussie female Adrian Mole. It was quite a funny read, not original but okay.
Angela
enthusiastic about it --> oh well, I've read it now.
Anita
I had better expectations.
Shalini Akhil
Shalini Akhil marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Cf
Cf marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Analilia
Analilia marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Akanksha
Akanksha marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Noson
Noson marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014