Start by marking “Basilica” as Want to Read:

In Vatican City, a lone priest trudges up a winding walkway to the top of St. Peter's Basilica- only to make a fatal descent down the same passage. The mysterious circumstances surrounding the fall bring together two men of the church. One is the newly- elected pope, a young audacious risk taker- the other, is Brother Paul, whose own painful past is stirred by the violent ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Jove (first published December 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Basilica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basilica

Apr 23, 2009 Eric_W rated it really liked it
Helen Casey
May 10, 2014 Helen Casey rated it it was ok
Basilica (William D. Montalbano) is a re-read - I consider it falls firmly in the category of a 'Bath Book', in that its a book that you're really not fussed about accidentally dropping in the bath.
Its an odd book.
The author clearly likes Catholics - he may, in all probability, be one himself. Yet he has the conundrum of making Catholics both his heroes and villains. He seems to have resolved this dilemma by presenting the good guys as baseball loving all-American guys and the bad guys as non-ba
Sep 25, 2014 Joshua rated it liked it
I truly enjoyed the book. It was rather shocking that the new Pope from Latin America resembles Pope Francis so much.

Good political/spiritual suspense novel.
Jun 20, 2012 Glenda rated it really liked it
Written from an insiders view, Basilica is a story filled with sins, sinners, miracles & murder!
Aug 06, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books EVER. Interesting plot, historical settings, characters galore.
May 13, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Bit of a thriller.
Jan 06, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
Good solid novel.
Mar 31, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok
Picked it up from the 3 books for $5 box at Kultura Books on Connecticut..haven't done any 'buying' of books for awhile so thought I'd take a wild 'chance'...

If you like mysteries w/ lots of esoteric info, this is pretty good as that goes re the Vatican, if not 'the Basilica' per se..but much to my surprise, I figured 'who did it'...very VERY early in the book - and I'm not good at that! None the less, really excellent, gripping, 'fight' scenes - well, not really fight but you know what I mean.
Donald Schopflocher
Oct 01, 2016 Donald Schopflocher rated it it was ok
Mediocre thriller marred by an implausible setup, a simplistic plot, and cliched writing. Its redeeming features are the local colours of its Vatican setting.
Dana Kraft
Jul 25, 2014 Dana Kraft rated it liked it
I enjoyed this although I don't read much fiction. It was interesting to read a book that included some speculation about future popes (after John Paul II) that was written 15 years ago - knowing what has happened on that front.
Mar 18, 2015 Joev rated it it was amazing
Combines economics, political science, urban engineering and religion. What more could I ask for?
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This was surprisingly better than I first expected. Never judge a book by its cover! (Mine was an older version of the book I had on my shelves for years).

There was enough suspense and mystery in the story to keep me reading with anticipation. I really liked that the characters were very real. Although they were members of the church, the author made them as human as possible and didn't fill them with perfections. I really loved the stories about Brother Paul and the Pope that were entwined with
Rachael Mcdonnell
Mar 20, 2011 Rachael Mcdonnell rated it it was ok
I wasn't able to totally get into this story. I tried but I just ended up skimming through. I did like the cop that became a Brother. I thought the story line was interesting....the "brother" cop investigating cases around the Vatican - overall, though, the story just did not grab me.
Peg Kerr
Jun 08, 2013 Peg Kerr rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! What's not to love? Murder, love, Catholic mysticism, and that's not all. The author, now deceased, was a former news correspondent at the Vatican, and his in-depth knowledge of the Vatican and its culture comes through in the story - I learned a lot.
GS Nathan
Feb 17, 2011 GS Nathan rated it liked it
Quite a good read. Would have been much better had it been about 50-100 pages shorter! But once it sort of builds up a head of steam the story grips you. The ending though, was a bit flat and predictable - it seems to me the author too, got a bit fed up with the story?
Carla JFCL
Mar 17, 2011 Carla JFCL marked it as just-couldnt-finish-it
This was a book that sounded SO interesting to me, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment ... so much so that I just couldn't finish it. Too bad; I loved the idea of it!
Feb 18, 2013 Zulma rated it it was ok
Slow read in several sections of book, but I hung in there and it finally got better. Real good ending.
Jul 08, 2008 Raymond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good Vatican who done it. A very fast read.
Oct 10, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
Exciting Vatican thriller!
Ed Dodson
Ed Dodson marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Philippe Ferron
Philippe Ferron marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Abigail marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Jeff Crosby
Jeff Crosby rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Ninamarie rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Miranda marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bargain from the Bazaar: A Family's Day of Reckoning in Lahore
  • Vita Nuova
  • The Missing Madonna (Sister Mary Helen, #3)
  • Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt
  • Walking Free
  • The Golden Child
  • A Season of Knives (Sir Robert Carey, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • Budapest Noir: A Novel
  • The Bosnia List: A Memoir of War, Exile, and Return
  • The Perfect Gentleman: A Muslim Boy Meets the West
  • The Blood of the Lamb
  • Jerusalem Poker (The Jerusalem Quartet, Volume 2)
  • Bearded Tit
  • The Rescue of Belle and Sundance: One Town's Incredible Race to Save Two Abandoned Horses
  • Śmierć w Breslau
  • The Death Pit
  • Deadly Grace
William Montalbano was a distinguished journalist and award-winning foreign correspondent. He worked for The Miami Herald and other news organizations.

He wrote three mystery thrillers with Carl Hiaasen which borrowed heavily from their own reporting experiences.
More about William D. Montalbano...