Start by marking “Trap Line” as Want to Read:
Trap Line

Trap Line (Black Lizard #2)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  857 ratings  ·  63 reviews
With its dozens of outlying islands and the native Conch's historically low regard for the law, Key West is a smuggler's paradise. All that's needed are the captains to run the contraband. Breeze Albury is one of the best fishing captains on the Rock, and he's in no mood to become the Machine's delivery boy. So the Machine sets out to persuade him. It starts out by taking ...more
Published June 30th 1998 by Vintage Books (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Trap Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trap Line

Trap Line by Carl HiaasenFlashback by Nevada BarrKey West, Tequila, a Pinch of Salt and a Quirky Slice of America by Jon BreakfieldWilde Nights in Paradise by Tonya BurrowsBurn Notice by Nate Hawk
Key West
1st out of 52 books — 13 voters
Stormy Weather by Carl HiaasenTourist Season by Carl HiaasenThe Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonaldBasket Case by Carl HiaasenSkinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen
Florida Mystery/Thrillers
65th out of 136 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Spencer Abbott
While teeming with typical Hiaasen elements, Trap Line is a bit more hard-boiled and violent than his usual fair (one can presume this might be a result of the presence of Bill Montalbano, who shares co-authorship, but it's hard to tell where his prose begins and Hiaasen's ends). Some of the transitions are a little shaky, which leads to momentary bouts of confusion in terms of keeping some plot points and characters straight. Speaking on the latter, there's quite a few characters introduced thr ...more
Mike French
Trap Line is the second novel that Carl Hiaasen and Bill Montalbano co-wrote. While it doesn't have the humour of his Skunk books,it is a very enjoyable read!
Donna LaValley
This was published in 1982; Hiaasen wrote it with Bill Montalbano. It is not at all like Hiaasen's solo novels with laugh-out-loud lines and situations. It does have a complicated plot, very very bad guys, and somewhat suitable revenge upon most of them. However, it has some brutality and violence that would be objectionable to most readers, and is quite over the top on the testosterone scale - not that there's anything wrong with that! It's a worthy genre and sometimes I like it, just as I enjo ...more
I've read all of Carl Hiaasen's other books, so it was fun to look at a book he co-wrote 30 years ago. The authorial voice of his later work is certainly present, but the ridiculous hilarity of his villains—for which he is so well known today—is notably absent. What we're left with is a decent little thriller (albeit a comparatively humorless one), which ain't nothing to sneer at.

An additional oddity: the little anti-gay slurs peppered throughout the text aren't necessarily distracting, but the
Trevor Mcpherson
Well crafted, but the Hiaasen humour I've come to know and love merely peeked out from a few characters. What I liked most about this was the length. What ever happened to the 250-280 page novel? The story wasn't lacking, and I wasn't left thinking: "gee, I wish there was another 100 pages of deep reflection and soul searching by the protagonist, or perhaps an increase in lengthy exposition to really make this book worthwhile."
K.D. Parker
This book was a little different than the other books Hiaasen has written. It lacked a lot of the humor that his other books have; also the environmental aspect. But I still liked it a lot. It was a fun read. By the way, my favorite Hiaasen novel is "Skintight." If you like "Trap Line," check that book out. The heavy is a guy named "Chemo!"
Kara Prem
Breeze Albury is a fisherman in Key West who is struggling to make ends meet. At one other point, he delivered a load of drugs in hope of making some much needed money, got caught and served time. He doesn't want to do that again, but someone has cut all of his traps, leaving him unable to pay the bills. So he decides to make one more run, and gets caught again. The syndicate that he was making a run for provides a dirt bag lawyer who offers a deal - make a special run to move some Colombians in ...more
Joan Pasco
It is hard not to like a Carl Hiaasen book in my opinion. This one was very different from the others I have read - more serious than humorous, but a good read.
Trap Line by Carl Hiassen and Bill Montalbano (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard 1982)(Fiction - Thriller) This story is set in a smuggler's paradise, Key West. The local sheriff is owned by a local drug smuggling syndicate known as "The Machine." It's hard to be an honest fisherman, but Blaze Albury has managed to be one, until circumstances, and then "The Machine," conspire to put him into a vise. This is a cracking good adventure from start to finish, and is written by a master storyteller who obvio ...more
Capt. Breeze Albury has a baseball star son, an alcholic ex-wife, a poetry-spouting girlfriend, and an awesome boat. He also knows his way about the Keys, and once went to jail and kept silent for a big paycheck after a drug run for the Machine that went bad -- he needed the money for his fatally ill daughter's care.
Now, the Machine (organized crime in the Keys) wants him to smuggle people in. When he says no, he loses more than 400 shrimp traps when someone hand cuts all the lines. He's out tho
Kara Jorges
Breeze Albury was basically an honest man until the machinations of the Machine (the Cubans) and a group of Colombians toss him into a high stakes game. When nearly all his trap lines are cut while his bills mount, Breeze takes a side job delivering a load of pot. He smells a set-up just a little too late, and finds himself in an even deeper mess. When the Machine plots with the Colombians to do away with him, Breeze, his girlfriend Laurie, and a number of fed-up Key West residents devise a plan ...more
Bog standard plot, clunky writing. Tough world weary Miami fisherman, down on his luck, gets shafted by local corrupt cops and drug runners. Guess what, the little guy outfoxes them and they all come to a sticky end. Hiaassen's solo works are breezy, funny, lightweight yarns. This earlier cowritten work is very stodgy fare.
Ed Walsh
Fast moving and entertaining

Hiaasen continues his mastery of the world of Florida. Once again he takes the reader on an invigorating ride from ship to shore. Lean back and enjoy the story.
Definitely not like the other Hiaasen books I have read. Trap Line is a hard look at drug smuggling in the Florida Keys. Not sure I will pursue anymore Hiaasen books in this genre as i enjoy those that he has written in a more humorous voice. Not much here for character development and that seems to be a trademark of Hiaasen's more humorous works.
A wonderful quick easy read that grabs your attention from the beginning and keeps it the whole way through. Read this in one day. It was a really good book.
david a zupofska
Classic Hiaasen, always a step ahead.

Great read. Did I run into Breeze on Cape Cod? Seems like an old salt I met in Falmouth, April 2007.

Found this one as a very pleasant surprise. A well written old school action novel from 30 years ago. Mr Haaisen was on the right track even then. Good book.
Frederick C. Crooks Jr.
.Always an read

Love how he ties in different places in Florida with the lifestyle of the locals. Lots of boats and fishing.
Des Shaw
Grabs your attention

Love this guy's stuff. Read all you can. Especially if you like Florida. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
frederick l payette
A Key West Romp

Writing his Miami column or a novel is always a "best" effort for Hiaasen. He is really,really a great writer.
Trap Line 6/30/2012 by Carl Hiaasen and Bill Montalbano
Good read as always. Breeze Albury lobsterer bad cop fat Barnett.
Engrossing page turner with Hiaasen's wit and Montalbano's Patterson-like engaging plot twists. Excellent characters.
Hard luck fisherman trying to make a better life for his boy runs into some Key West scum.
Early Hiaasen, like later Hiaasen,
full of drug smugglers, bad cops,
and dead bodies in Key West.
John Ballin
A quick read that takes place in the Keys. Fun to read about Key West in the 1980's.
hard to put down. read it in two days. good characters,
Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen "Trap Line" by Carl Hiaasen was great. It is one of his early books written with Bill Montalbano. His second novel to be exact. Like all of his books that I've read, I loved it. It was quite short in comparison and somewhat lacking in the crazy satire of Hiaasen's that I loved in his other books. It's a great little story full of suspense about how payback's a bitch.
Not the level of work I have come to expect from Carl Hiaassen.
This book is not for the feint of heart. It is a slice of what might be the underworld of Key West -and includes a variety of mean and nasty characters from both north and south of the border. While I enjoy the political statements Carl Haiassen weaves into his fun books about Florida, this book is more compelling and written like a news documentary. And proves that the good guys can finish in the lead.
Betsy Brown
When Carl Hiassen introduces you to a character on a page, you know you need to follow through as you help this new friend get to the end of the book. As an early publication, there is a rawness to the writing, but that good vs. evil theme is strong. In Trapline, we meet a new character who has a criminal past, but you root for him throughout the book. Great read.
  • The Riptide Ultra-Glide (Serge Storms, #16)
  • Bones of Coral
  • Octopus Alibi: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • Florida Straits
  • Dark Light
  • Like Warm Sun on Nekkid Bottoms
  • Gun Monkeys
  • A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2)
  • Comfort to the Enemy and Other Carl Webster Stories
  • Flinch: A Novel
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida, where he still lives with his family. After graduating from the University of Florida, he began writing for the Miami Herald. As a journalist and author, Carl has spend most of his life advocating the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family still live in southern Florida.
More about Carl Hiaasen...

Black Lizard (3 books)