Start by marking “Train to Pokipse” as Want to Read:
Train to Pokipse

Read Book* *Different edition

Train to Pokipse

Published by Circles International (Illegally published) (first published February 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Train to Pokipse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Train to Pokipse

Richard Derus
Jun 21, 2016 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.75* of five

Rejoice, literary netizens, for the future of fiction is in safe hands! Millennial Rami Shamir shows his mettle in this non-linear tale of obsession, shallow emotion, and the horrifying cost of emotional abuse. My review is on my blog, Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud. As always, I'll post the review here in a few weeks, if you're too lazy or stubborn to click a link. But hey! You'd never have to click that pesky link if you join my blog! Reviews directly sent, no further effort
Laura Zurowski
I'm sure some people would quickly slap a label of "queer fiction" on Train to Pokipse, and I think that makes them a wee-bit lazy and non-confrontational. I really don't understand why we need such classifications. Is it a warning for those with delicate sensibilities signifying a book is one where the central characters are homosexual and discussion occurs about homosexuality? So, for you delicate flowers out there, here's my warning. This is a book with male characters who are gay and who hav ...more
Jul 08, 2014 Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met the author of this book, Rami Shamir while working at the Broadway Book Mall in Denver, CO. He was on a road trip around the country promoting his book. I was immediately impressed with the young man. He insisted on leaving me with an inscribed copy of the book. I promised him I'd read it and let him know what I thought.
While I'm an older guy and can't relate much to the angst of his lifestyle or generation, I can still appreciate the overall story of heartbreak, bad decisions, relation
May 27, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Train To Pokipse is the best example of the contemporary workings of the expressionistic mind. The poetic language - obsessive description - emotional attachment/detachment of the narrator captures the sparking synapses of life on the edge. If you only read five books this year (good for you) make this two of them - it deserves a second read.
Jack Doroshow
Oct 05, 2016 Jack Doroshow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extraordinary debut novel. Full of coke, spit, and semen. TRAIN TO POKIPSE is an intimate look at a young gay man's life in motion. Flush in its descriptions; vividly drawn down to the smallest details, it's a great read and not to be missed.
Alex Ward
I'll just give it 4 stars for now, but I definitely want to sit on this before I write a review, especially since this is the fastest I've ever read a novel, even if it is a pretty short one.
Crystal Helcel
In my teens, I lived a similar way. In my 20s, reading about sex, drugs, booze, and sordid nighttime escapades was of great interest to me. Having been there and come out on the other side, the artistic take on such a lifestyle was appealing. Now, in my 30s all I see is my own former: self-degrading, emptiness, loneliness, sadness, unsatisfiable yearning to escape.
I found myself remembering how infatuated I was with Henry Miller, walking the streets of Paris wanting to feel his spirit, make it
Oct 11, 2016 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's plenty of nastiness in POKIPSE. But, it's the free-falling pace and dreamy nostalgia that really charms you. I was reminded of Phillip Roth and Saul Bellow and their cutting views on American culture and the tragic and devastating vignettes that fill their novels. I do believe that in TRAIN TO POKIPSE, Shamir has set great and critical themes about the individual and American culture into motion.
Jose-rodrigo Hernandez
Apr 09, 2012 Jose-rodrigo Hernandez is currently reading it
i'm reading this right now! A Bildungsroman set in Gay clubs and a liberal arts college on the Hudson. I can't remember if this is stated, but I think it's supposed to be a private school because the beginning is about his boyfriend who is rich and how the narrator has to hide his poverty, though I get the impression that the narrator lives in Port Jefferson, Suffolk County NY which is not really so poor. Why doesn't anyone ever write books about coming of age at a State College?
Sean Patrick
Sean Patrick rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Randy Calderone
Randy Calderone rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Olga rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2014
Magdalena Travis
Magdalena Travis rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Julian rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Matt rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2009
Timothy Soyk
Timothy Soyk rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
John rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
Chantal E. R. H.
Chantal E. R. H. rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Pj Raftery
Pj Raftery rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
J.A. rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
Adam rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Rami Shamir
May 26, 2016 Rami Shamir rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Adam rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2012
Michael rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Karen Lillis
Karen Lillis rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Rami Shamir is the author of TRAIN TO POKIPSE, the novel that's been called "a Catcher in the Rye for the new century." Bookending a literary canon of twentieth century masters that includes Samuel Beckett, Henry Miller, Kathy Acker, and William S. Burroughs, Shamir—the final author of legendary publisher Barney Rosset—was recently illuminated as "the last disciple of the Grove Press Empire" in a ...more
More about Rami Shamir...