Train to Pokipse

Train to Pokipse

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Published by Circles International (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Train to Pokipse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Train to Pokipse

Laura Zurowski
I'm sure some people would quickly slap a label of "queer fiction" on Train to Pokipse, and I think that makes them a wee-bit lazy and non-confrontational. I really don't understand why we need such classifications. Is it a warning for those with delicate sensibilities signifying a book is one where the central characters are homosexual and discussion occurs about homosexuality? So, for you delicate flowers out there, here's my warning. This is a book with male characters who are gay and who hav...more
Dean
I met the author of this book, Rami Shamir while working at the Broadway Book Mall in Denver, CO. He was on a road trip around the country promoting his book. I was immediately impressed with the young man. He insisted on leaving me with an inscribed copy of the book. I promised him I'd read it and let him know what I thought.
While I'm an older guy and can't relate much to the angst of his lifestyle or generation, I can still appreciate the overall story of heartbreak, bad decisions, relation...more
Crystal Helcel
In my teens, I lived a similar way. In my 20s, reading about sex, drugs, booze, and sordid nighttime escapades was of great interest to me. Having been there and come out on the other side, the artistic take on such a lifestyle was appealing. Now, in my 30s all I see is my own former: self-degrading, emptiness, loneliness, sadness, unsatisfiable yearning to escape.
I found myself remembering how infatuated I was with Henry Miller, walking the streets of Paris wanting to feel his spirit, make it...more
Jose-rodrigo Hernandez
Apr 09, 2012 Jose-rodrigo Hernandez is currently reading it
i'm reading this right now! A Bildungsroman set in Gay clubs and a liberal arts college on the Hudson. I can't remember if this is stated, but I think it's supposed to be a private school because the beginning is about his boyfriend who is rich and how the narrator has to hide his poverty, though I get the impression that the narrator lives in Port Jefferson, Suffolk County NY which is not really so poor. Why doesn't anyone ever write books about coming of age at a State College?
Alex Ward
I'll just give it 4 stars for now, but I definitely want to sit on this before I write a review, especially since this is the fastest I've ever read a novel, even if it is a pretty short one.
Mila Jaroniec
Mila Jaroniec marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Nazary
Nazary marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2014
Chad Phillips
Chad Phillips marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Liudmyla Beraud
Liudmyla Beraud marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Linnie Greene
Linnie Greene marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Ian Campbell
Ian Campbell marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Sarah added it
Feb 21, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Eric Scharf
Eric Scharf marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012