Start by marking “Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)” as Want to Read:
Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)

Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes #7)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,676 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
"The most winning junior detective ever in teen lit. (Take that, Nancy Drew!)" —Midwest Children's Book Review

Sammy's softball team is in contention for the Junior Slugger's Cup, and all she wants to do is hunker down behind the home plate and catch strikes. But Heather Acosta brings new meaning to the term "foul ball" as she schemes to get Sammy kicked off the team.

Then
Published April 8th 2003 by Yearling (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes

Nazik
Jan 24, 2011 Nazik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sammy and her friend Marissa were in the arcade room of the mall. All of a sudden, a girl a few years older than Sammy gives her a Sears bag and begs Sammy to keep the bag and return it to her later in the day at 7 p.m. The stranger was in a hurry and in all the confusion of the arcade noise, Sammy agrees. After the stranger leaves, Sammy looks in the Sears bag and sees something very unexpected, a baby. Sammy just got herself into big trouble. She came back to the mall at 7p.m. and waited for h ...more
Cinnamon
Sammy Keyes is a great detective series for upper elementary and middle school readers. There is always enough humor, mystery and adventure to suit a wide audience. Plus, the author often pulls in issues that are current in our society.

Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes has Sammy being drawn into the middle of the gang world in her hometown. One day, while hanging at the arcade, Sammy runs into a girl who is clearly on the run. The girl asks Sammy to watch her shopping bag while she attem
Patrick
Sep 03, 2015 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
My least favorite Sammy Keyes so far. It's more mature and dangerous rather than inspiring and clever. Teen pregnancy, gangs, set-ups, graffiti, violent kidnappings, and murders are not dealt with in a fairly bleak picture.

A gang-banger girl running from a guy shoves a bag in Sammy's hands at the mall which turns out to have a baby in it. Sammy's challenges with the baby and trying to survive at school are enjoyable.

However, Sammy is stupidly brave in this one, snooping on a gang leader who eve
Bruce
Sep 07, 2009 Bruce rated it really liked it
Sammy’s best friend Marissa wants to know how she gets into these things. They’re just hanging at the video arcade. Marissa’s just finished her game and turns to see Sammy holding the bag that a girl told her to hold because she was afraid some creepy guy was going to kill her. Now the girl that handed Sammy the bag has disappeared leaving them, two seventh-graders, with a bag full of baby! And, as they eventually discover, not any baby, but the son of a member of the notorious South West gang.
Teri Gorleski
Sep 18, 2011 Teri Gorleski rated it it was amazing
I couldnt beleive that someone could actually be shaking to death! The scariest thing in this book yo me is how Wendalin Van Draanen described Raymond Ramirez or snake eyes. I coudnt even picture him I could picture snake eyes but steel for a mouth? Not likely but I still loved everything. It was a horrific but very good book. I loved it. I feel like the Sammy Keyes series could go on forever.
Lisa Rathbun
I didn't even know this was a series; just found it at a book sale and started reading it. It's fast-paced and exciting as 7th grader Sammy plunges into the dangerous, gang-filled world of Tigertown, propelled by a Sears bag left in her care by a terrified girl with strange scars on her arm. A couple uses of profanity but not too prevalent. I want to read more in this series.
Kim
Nov 03, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter, mystery
Calling all of you who love MYSTERIES. Sammy Keyes is an awesome series. Sammy (short for Samantha) lives with her grandma in a retirement community. That means that Sammy has to sneak in and out of the building by the fire escape because kids are not allowed. In this book, Sammy gets mixed up with an abandoned baby and a gang. Sammy is a gutsy kid - you'll really root for her!
Christy
Oct 29, 2011 Christy rated it liked it
Sammy’s softball team is in contention for the Junior Slugger’s Cup, and all she wants to do is hunker down behind home plate and catch strikes. But Heather Acosta brings new meaning to the term “foul ball” as she schemes to get Sammy kicked off the team. And Sammy is thrown a wild pitch by a frantic girl in the mall. She begs Sammy to watch something for her and then dash...moreSammy’s softball team is in contention for the Junior Slugger’s Cup, and all she wants to do is hunker down behind hom ...more
Shelley
Feb 01, 2012 Shelley rated it liked it
I think this one is my least favorite in the series. I felt Sammy was reckless and not a good role model for kids who follow Sammy Keyes books. It was actually very dangerous what Sammy did. I know I wouldn't have done it even as an adult. It also made me really angry that I wanted to throw the book across the room when Sammy & Marissa were trying to tell everyone they were innocent of the crime and yet, once again, no one would listen to them. Yeah I know this is only a made up story, but h ...more
Chazzi
Jun 24, 2016 Chazzi rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, mystery
Sammy Keyes is on the case again.

While at the mall, a scared girl leaves a bag with Sammy and tells her she will be back at 7 p.m. to get it. The problem is what is in the bag takes more minding than what Sammy expected. And the girl is totally petrified of the evil looking guy that is following her. A guy that has snake eyes and a jaw like steel, with a menacing and reptilian appearance that makes your skin crawl.

When the girl doesn't show up at the time she said, it is up to Sammy to find out
Irah Shaikh
Sep 16, 2012 Irah Shaikh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Read In ORDER
Recommended to Irah by: Yuserera
They are best in ORDER:

1)Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief (April 1998)
2)Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (August 1998)
3)Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (April 1999)
3)Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (October 1999)
5)Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Mustache Mary (May 2000)
6)Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (February 2001)
7)Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (May 2002)
8)Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (April 2003)
9)Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (October 2004)
10)Sammy Keyes a
Judy Khalifa
Sep 04, 2012 Judy Khalifa rated it it was amazing
A brave and courageous girl and her best friend have to go through difficult, strange, foreign, and, most importantly, dangerous. Sammy Keyes and her best friend, Marrissa McKenze. Sammy and Marrissa are in the arcade in the mall when a girl runs to them and hands them a bag. She looks like a 21 year old. She's running away from someone, and before they can refuse to take the bag, she's gone. Guess what they find in the bag? A baby. Soar through their adventures with them: stalked by gangsters, ...more
Anna Bergmark
Nov 21, 2015 Anna Bergmark rated it liked it
When I reviewed book number 6 in this series (S.K. & the Hollywood Mummy) I liked it just fine, but found Hollywood a little bit too glitzy and "unreal" to feel like natural, good old Sammyland. Maybe the author had the same thought and decided to go more gritty this time, and oh boy... Talk about overcompensating!

Teenage pregnancy, child neglect, gang violence, murder, sadistic kidnapping.... The fun and lightheartedness of these books are hard to mix in between things like that. No wonder
Aranruth
Apr 21, 2013 Aranruth rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddie-lit, mystery
Sammy is in the arcade with her friend Marissa trying to get her mind off of the upcoming softball tournament when she meets a girl not much older than herself who looks absolutely terrified. When she tries to help she ends up with the girl’s bag after being told not to go to the police and finds a baby inside. When the girl does not return like she said she would, Sammy must find the mother before it is too late. To make matters worse, her archnemesis Heather is trying to frame her and get Samm ...more
Susan
Jan 03, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I really like the Sammy Keyes books. Of course, they are totally unbelievable, but they're fun and exciting.

In this one Sammy is handed a sack by a girl while she's in the mall. The girl is hiding from a totally evil man--who has a striking snake tattoo on his arm. She tells Sammy to meet her at 7 p.m. When Sammy picks up the sack, it's really heavy. She looks inside and finds...a baby. Well, of course, the mother never shows up. Although the police are looking, Sammy is a lot smarter than the
Christina
The thing that first drew me to Sammy was her intelligence and spunky personality. She gets herself into terrible situations, then uses her brains to work it out. I was a little disappointed in this book when she seemed to get into bad situations not by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but by making bad decisions.

In spite of that, I still enjoy the books and will keep reading them.
Louis
Jul 06, 2010 Louis rated it it was amazing
I learned that sammys soccer team wants to win the game and all sammy wants is to score as much points for her team to win the game,and after they win the game sammy sees a snake that has eyes that look weird and sammy thinks that if she ever has snake eyes people would look at her and say that she looks nice. I like this book because this book is my favorite one from all the books that i've read in my whole life.
Soul
Aug 17, 2012 Soul rated it it was amazing
I extremely enjoy reading the Sammy Keyes series. I have read almost all except for the Hollywood Mummy, i would have to say my favorite would be this one so far because of all the excitement, and back and forth with the mystery. The whole time i been reading this book i been craving to see what was going to happen next, or to see exactly who the culprit was. i give this book a 10/10 and i would most defiantly recommend this book to anyone that is into the mystery series.
Catrina Sada
Oct 09, 2016 Catrina Sada rated it it was amazing
Van Draanen artfully deals with several issues in the real world in her books, as well as incorporating a fantastic mystery in every book and dealing with the ins and outs of middle school. This book she did another fantastic job. She subtly illustrated the difficulty of teen pregnancy and street gangs while still creating a complex mystery. Incredible author and an incredible book.
Dru
Jul 13, 2015 Dru rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-mystery
Another awesome adventure with Sammy. This one involves a baby, which causes Sammy to confront some feelings about her mother and ponder what life would be as a teen mom. Throw in a softball tournament, gangs, a villain with a snake eyes tattoo and that rotten Heather Acosta and you've got a pretty great mystery.
Tamar
Apr 30, 2012 Tamar rated it really liked it
It was the first Sammy Keyes book I read. My dad found it for at a consignment shop. I loved the twist on a detective - Sammy doesn't have to out of school like Nancy Drew, she does things her own way. Even without having read the other books, I had a good sense of the story after only the first ten pages.
Gena Lott
Nov 07, 2011 Gena Lott rated it liked it
Sammy has done some growing up since the first volume in the series. Also, she has become more human as her flaws are more evident: I mean, who doesn't like babies?
The story is well done, perhaps not as good as the first one in the series, but still an enjoyable read, and very timely as it deals with gangs.
Fifth and sixth grade readers should find it engaging.
Jasmine Duong
Aug 21, 2015 Jasmine Duong rated it it was amazing
I JUST.I JUST CAN'T. THIS HAS GOTTEN ME MINDBLOWNED.
AND IM TRYING TO EXPLAIN PART OF IT TO MY SISTER AND IM JUST LIKE STUTTERING AND JUST CAN'T GET MY SHIT TOGETHER.
OMFG OMFG OMFG. IM SQUEALING BUT IM PANICKING AND I FELT LIKE MY HEART NEVER WILL STOP. BUT THATS A GOOD THING CAUSE IM IN LIVING. WILD. MWHAHAHA.
Mandy
Mar 03, 2015 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Listening to this audio book and others in this series with my children has started discussions about big topics. The topics have included gangs, drugs, personal safety, lying, stealing, homelessness, and others. They are really great books for 'tweens and I'm enjoying them again, too. Sammy and her friends are adventurous and funny.
Kelly
Once again, a fun, engaging read that deals with mature enough issues someone outside the middle-school age range can enjoy it. This is probably the first Sammy book that really grabbed my attention almost right off the bat. Lots of tense, exciting sequences as Sammy tries to solve her latest mystery.

(view spoiler)
Victoria
Apr 03, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
Good book for older elementary or MS kids. We listened to it in the car on a road trip and all of us enjoyed it, even my husband. Some gang and mature themes but nothing too crazy. Good mystery and plot. Funny, too.
Aleisha Z Coleman
Jan 07, 2017 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it really liked it
This series is just adorable. I am so happy that my library/overdrive system got a bunch new audiobooks so I can listen to them! It has been several years since I read the first 6 and am pleased to have the next several in the lineup! I recommend this series to everyone!
Brett
Dec 27, 2009 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-mystery
Sammy Keyes continues to be extremely appealing & incredibly readable, but she also continues to get into more serious territory. This book deals with gangs, & Sammy has some very serious confrontations with the dark side of life.
Andrew Grinnell
Feb 26, 2016 Andrew Grinnell rated it it was amazing
Seth Saephan
Oct 02, 2015 Seth Saephan rated it really liked it
I like this book because there were violence and a lot of helping.What I feel about this book is happy because I saw crying and people helping others.I would recommend this book to a friend because it's violence and funny.
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Behind the Curtain (Echo Falls, #2)
  • Marcia's Madness (Sisters Eight, #5)
  • Ghost Horses (Mysteries in Our National Park, #6)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • The Gawgon and the Boy
  • Murder on the Fourth of July (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #28)
  • Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • The Talent Show
Wendelin Van Draanen has written more than thirty novels for young readers and teens. She is the author of the 18-book Edgar-winning Sammy Keyes series, and wrote Flipped which was named a Top 100 Children’s Novel for the 21st Century by SLJ, and became a Warner Brothers feature film with Rob Reiner directing. Her novel The Running Dream was awarded ALA’s Schneider Family Award for its portrayal o ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (Sammy Keyes, #11)