Blank-133x176
The Twilight Prisoner ...

Katherine Marsh

The Twilight Prisoner - Audio Library Edition (Jack Perdu #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Katherine Marsh revisits New York's ghostly underworld in this gripping sequel to the Edgar Award-winning THE NIGHT TOURIST

FORMAT: 4 CDs, Unabridged
NARRATOR: Andrew Rannels

After traveling to New York City's ghostly underworld, Jack Perdu has made it back aboveground, to join the living. But, if he's alive why is he still seeing ghosts?
Jack tries hard to fit in at his new...more
Audio CD
Published January 1st 1948 by Scholastic Audio Books

Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Jun 30, 2009 Liberty Abbott-Sylvester rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Liberty by: my son
I enjoyed this book much more than the first one. Jack once again travels to the underground but this time he takes two unsuspecting classmates...the girl he likes and the boy that she likes. Once again they run into Euri and experience another adventure in the Afterlife. It was nice to find out more about Euri's story. The ending suited the story very well.
Kit★
A copy finally came up on PBSwap, yay! I was eager to see what was next for Jack and Euri after the end of The Night Tourist, so I didn't wait to long to jump into this book after getting my copy.
At first though, I was kinda thrown off by Jack being oh so focused on Cora. It wasn't that she was a bad character, or unlikable, but she wasn't Euri, and I was kind of mad at Jack for just moving on to another girl so fast. I understood his motives for wanting to show off for Cora, but I thought it w...more
Shel
Few But Dear Readers, it has happened again. I read the first book in a series and didn't enjoy it, forced myself to suffer through the second book and discovered that I liked that one much more.

Marsh, K. (2009). The Twilight Prisoner. New York: Hyperion Books.

246 pages.

Appetizer: Less than a year after the events of The Night Tourist, Jack is back to living in New York City and for the first time in his life he has friends and a major crush on a girl named Cora.

After Jack finally gets up the...more
Jaylen Reese
Jack is a boy who has been traveling the underworld. When he is alive but the only thing is that he can still sees ghost. When he tries to live a normal life he is continuously being bothered by them. He is trying very hard to fit in with everyone else and even is trying to impress someone he likes Jack has a very big crush on his classmate Cora but when he tries to impress her with showing her things in the Underworld things go wrong.

This book was not one of my favorites but I'm a Sci-Fi type...more
 Marla
Likes:
* New York city descriptions above and below ground
* Ghostly interactions and rules
* Learned more about Euri and her demise
(view spoiler)

Dislikes:
* Euri's irritability and flightiness is getting old
* This book is more focused on the drama between characters than on Greek legends, New York City or
(view spoiler)...more
rr
It's tempting to intertwine the myth of Orpheus & Eurydice with the myth of Demeter & Persephone since they both focus on crossing the boundary of the underworld, and that's what the second volume in Marsh's series does. I enjoyed the first volume, The Night Tourist, this summer, but I read this new installment with less pleasure. In both books Marsh incorporates pieces of New York City history, landmarks, & famous figures; in The Night Tourist I found that mostly fun, but this time...more
Shonna Froebel
This is the sequel to The Night Tourist, and again the main character is Jack Perdu. Jack finds that even though he is back in the living world, he can still see ghosts, but try as he might he can't find Euri. He decides to move on and try for Cora, a girl in his Latin class that he really likes. He finally gets up the nerve to ask her out and tries to make an impression on her, but finds that things don't go as planned. He is stuck in the underworld again and this time he's involved Cora. Will...more
Claire
The Twilight Prisoner follows The Night Tourist. Jack has a crush on Cora and wants to date her. He works up the courage and asks her to hang out. To his dismay Cora brings Austin a boy she clearly likes a lot. This sets the stage for Jack and Cora to stumble upon a portal to the underworld a city populated by ghosts who are finishing up the lessons they need to face before crossing to a place of peace. Cora, Austin and Jack are trapped in the underworld and must find a way to escape before they...more
Libby Ames
Usually second books in a series are the weak link, but this one is an exception. I felt The Twilight Prisoner flowed more easily than The Night Tourist. Jack Perdu is trying to survive in the world of the living, but he continues to see ghosts. Trying to impress a new friend Cora, he traps them both in the underworld. Jack and a very reluctant Euri have to evade the underworld guards while trying to find a new way to the world of the living.

Marsh introduces a new story while adding to her previ...more
Elizabeth
I am fuming in my upsetting realization that I have just wasted a day of reading to this, this "fantasy action" book. I didn't particularly like the first book, but the way it ended, I had to read the next one. BUT... Unfortunately, this was solely revolving around romance between a love triangle that keeps switching people, and it is not at all focused on the New York Underworld, Cerberus, Jack's ability to be half dead/half alive at all times. The only thing that makes me stop fuming is that K...more
Christi
Fun sequel to the Night Tourist, these books would be good alternative reads for the older kids waiting for their turn with the Percy Jackson books. Under New York city is an underworld guarded from the living by the 2 headed dog, Cerberus. Jack is a living boy from New York who found in the first book discovered that in the underworld he can perform the feats that normally only ghosts can do. In this book he trys to show off for the girl he likes and accidently gets himself and two friends trap...more
Kevin
This follow up to the Night Tourist doesn't quite gel like its predecessor. It still has the hook of the underworld below New York City and it still lovingly describes the city and its history. But the plot feels a bit more forced and the narrative flow isn't as smooth.

A little too much angst as Jack deals with his crush on Cora and his feelings for Euri. Still an interesting and creative series, but this one lacks the zip and excitement of the first.
Charlene
This book was a very close tie to the first book, but just falls short of my expectations. I was hoping to find out why Jack can still see ghosts and fly by himself, but this book offered no answers. It was also strange that Jack said that he liked Cora, but then told Euri that he loved her. Love triangle, anyone? I would give this book to any fans of the first book in the series, The Night Tourist.
Kelli
The first was more lovely but this was still fun!
Jamie
I loved the charm and cleverness of the first, but it seemed to be a bit missing in this one. Jack, while he is wordly wise, is not really aged enough to be victimized by a devastating love triangle. The plot threads were a bit too coincidental, and the historical characters that felt much more organic last time seemed shoehorned in this one. Too bad!
Terry
This book was about like the first as far as quality goes, but it lacked the originality of the previous book. Still, it was fun to catch up with the characters and get some more insight into the past life of the female ghost main character. There was also some interesting facts about Central Park, which I hope were real (I didn't check).
Kathleen
Solid suspense and an enjoyable. The premise (wanting to show off his special powers, Jack takes his crush Cora to the underworld where they are nearly trapped) was good enough for another volume but I don't think Jack's character is developed interestingly enough to sustain a series. Reads a bit like a TV show.
Julieanndixon
I liked this book better than Night Tourist. I enjoyed the way she used Greek mythology and didn't feel like she was using the Percy Jackson books as a template (I kind of felt that way in the first book). The book didn't necessarily have a happy ending, but it did have a satisfying ending.
Anna
3.5 stars - solid as a sequel. I think I preferred the first book because there was a stronger NY feeling than seemed present in this book. The characters are older, but I'm not sure they've grown; we learn more about Euri's background, but the course of the book felt largely superficial.
Mb
Sequel to The Night Tourist. More ghostly adventures in NYC; of ghost who have died natural deaths or committed suicide, can be sad. Nice easy read though and themes of love, loss and closure are handled delicately.
Carol
Once again Jack is seeing ghosts. When he tries to impress a girl they find themselves in the inderworld again. The person he takes is not happy to be there and it is harder to get out.

Good book.
Susan
Jack continues his adventures in world of the dead above and below Manhattan not long after the experiences described in The Night Tourist. Equally light-weight and quick, equally fun to read.
Betsy
One Sentence Review: Marsh does some very admirable things with her Central Park history in this book, though it did feel a little superfluous after the stand alone success of The Night Tourist.
Heidi
Fun follow up to "The Night Tourist". While I didn't like it as much as the first one (some parts seemed a bit of a repeat from the first novel), it was still enjoyable and entertaining.
Ellen
I didn't like it as much as The Night Tourist but still liked it a lot. Very dark for a young adult novel but great for kids who like Greek mythology, Latin and NYC history.
Shelley Chastagner
The second book in The Night Tourist books. A fun easy read. I would have liked to have seen more developement in the relationship between the two main characters.
Liked it even better than the first one. I finished it in a day...which, given my full-time job and my life at home, is really fast for me.
Lois
Didn't like it as much as the first.

Ending a little too "tied with a bow": after all this he likes himself.
Beth
quite similar to the first book, was hoping for something different but had a really nice ending.
Ki ❝The Book Scavenger❞
I accidently read the second book first and never read the first one but, its good.
Jack and Cora 2 18 Dec 21, 2013 12:16PM
  • The Pirate's Coin: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #3)
  • Confederates Don't Wear Couture (Pilgrims, #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Secret (Gods of Manhattan, #3)
  • The Immortal Fire (Cronus Chronicles, #3)
  • Iris, Messenger
  • Dusssie
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Demon Hunter (Oliver Nocturne, #4)
  • Pantheons (Pantheons, #1)
  • The Red Winter (The Tapestry, #5)
  • Spellbound (The Books of Elsewhere, #2)
  • Guardian of Atlantis (The Children of Atlantis, #1)
  • Heir to the Underworld
  • The Grave Robbers Of Genghis Khan (Children Of The Lamp, #7)
  • Suburgatory: Twisted Tales from Darkest Suburbia
  • The Jewel of the Kalderash (The Kronos Chronicles, #3)
  • Bayou Dogs (The Haunting of Derek Stone, Book #2)
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2
The Night Tourist (Jack Perdu, #1) Jepp, Who Defied the Stars Perfume Making On The Cheap: Make Designer Knock-Offs At Home! The Model Male Jack Perdu und das Reich der Schatten